PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ordway coming back to WEEI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem saying I enjoy listening the Felger & Mazz, I don't agree with everything they say but they are entertaining which is all I should want out of a radio show. I think Wiggy is hilarious and has some great stories from his time in the NFL. I don't need Felger or Mazz to be cheerleaders for the team as that would get boring awfully quick. Beetle is sharp as a tack and also has a good sense of humor.

Ordway and Gresh were separated at birth, pompous blowhards who can barely conceal their disdain for anyone who dares to disagree with their opinions. Holley is good but the tone of Salk's voice is annoying and he constantly whines about being misinterpreted. Ironic that the same EEI manager who was smart enough to can the Big Mouth O was too dumb to realize that Salk is insufferable.

Of course I would prefer to listen to talk show hosts discuss my favorite teams (Boston) instead of the teams I hate the most (New York), but WFAN is a better radio station by several orders of magnitude over WEEI or even the Hub (IMO). Even taking into consideration the fact that WFAN has Francesca, who is a blithering idiot. He's STILL much better than what the Big Show ever was.
Without Mad Dog, Fat F### Francesca has become unlistenable. In addition, his hatred of Belichick and the Pats makes Shank and Borges look like the co-captains of the BB Fan Club.

This is what I would pair on 98.5 if possible

6-10am Keep T&R

10-2 Zolak and a combination of Sean Grande, Dave Goucher and Sean McAdam

2-6 Steal Holley and have him with Felger

6-10 stay with Adam Jones because outside of summer he is usually pre-empted by Bruins or Celtics games

It’s no coincidence that when there was some real competition people switched channels in droves. WEEI has no clue what to do anymore. They started switching hosts, firing hosts, and hiring new hosts. Now they are talking about bringing back a host they fired as a panic move.
They didn't fire him as a panic move, they fired him as a money saving move. If you're going to get crappy ratings, you may as well do it with a guy you're paying $150k than $1.8 mil.

WEEI is a sinking ship and they are starting to run out of fingers to plug the holes with.
They're the #2 sports station in town. I think this town is big enough for 2 sports stations. In fact, call me crazy, but I think having competition is healthy.

Ordway is an obnoxious loudmouth who never lets callers, guests or his co-host express themselves without interrupting every 5 seconds.
Gimme a break. You just described every single talk show host in all of sports radio in the country. Ordway is no worse than any other of 'em.

I have no problem saying I enjoy listening the Felger & Mazz, I don't agree with everything they say but they are entertaining which is all I should want out of a radio show. I think Wiggy is hilarious and has some great stories from his time in the NFL. I don't need Felger or Mazz to be cheerleaders for the team as that would get boring awfully quick. Beetle is sharp as a tack and also has a good sense of humor.....

Agree!! I've grown to enjoy the F & M show more and more as time has gone on. Yes Felger is an egomaniac and does create his own controversies with his contrived outrages and yes Mazz is pretty much a Felger suck-up and the 2 have never had a vein popping argument on any issue because of it but the show is highly entertaining. They let callers actually express their opinions without being interrupted or shouted down a la Ordway. They conduct great interviews because they will ask THE question many others won't touch and they allow their guests to talk at length. Love their shows from NY this week. Adam V was outstanding as was Mike Perreira (? sp) and Chris mad dog Russo. Love how Wiggy calls out both of them for their fraud ways - strength of the show is they allow Wiggy and Beetle to call them out - and is there a funnier segment than Mad Mike and Squeaky Mazz?? That segment is laugh out loud funny every Friday.
It's a really good show and that's why they top the ratings.

Gimme a break. You just described every single talk show host in all of sports radio in the country. Ordway is no worse than any other of 'em.

Simply not true. Ordway cannot go more than 5 seconds without interrupting...doesn't matter if it's the callers, guests, co-hosts, the flash boys, you name it. Sorry but other shows are not run that way.

Simply not true. Ordway cannot go more than 5 seconds without interrupting...doesn't matter if it's the callers, guests, co-hosts, the flash boys, you name it. Sorry but other shows are not run that way.
Yeah, ok. Sports talk radio is just a bastion of well mannered, polite individuals who always let others speak their minds in a calm, rational way before offering insightful counterpoints. Everyone 'cept Ordway. :rolleyes:

Yes. They kill their teams when they screw up because they want them to win and genuinely care. Fleeger and his ilk don't care about anything but stirring anxiety and baiting people.

Reiss said best today
Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN
Bill (CT)

Mike, explain something to me. I heard Michael Felger, CSNNE personality say that Peyton Manning doesn't measure up to Tom Brady because he can't win the big one. Then in the same breath say Brady hasn't won a big one in the last nine years. Does that make sense to you?
Mike (12:08 PM)

Bill, are you asking me to explain something my good pal Michael Felger said? Come on, man! You can't explain the un-explainable: He knows provocative banter and is very good at it.

No, It was the only sports show on the radio for many many years. Therefore WEEI could be as arragont as they wanted; which included hanging up on callers, being condescending to callers, talking over callers and even talking over each other. All this in 15-20 minute intervals proceeded by a half hour of commercials.

It’s no coincidence that when there was some real competition people switched channels in droves. WEEI has no clue what to do anymore. They started switching hosts, firing hosts, and hiring new hosts. Now they are talking about bringing back a host they fired as a panic move. (Yet somehow through all this D&C remained untouched even though they are constantly losing in the ratings)

WEEI is a sinking ship and they are starting to run out of fingers to plug the holes with.

People switched because people are idiots. Every daytime time slot was still a WEEI win in terms of what was actually on the air. The only person on 98.5 who was worth listening to, at all, was Zolak, but people being idiots, they went with the shiny new toy even though it was crap.

Well, Boston sports fans are now getting what they deserve, which is inferior radio from both stations.

Ordway was a special kind of smug when he was the only show in town. He routinely mocked Bruins fans when he wasn't ignoring hockey altogether. Ordway also spoke over and pompously lectured any caller who dared to disagree. To his credit he expressed a measure of regret doing these things during his farewell show on EEI.

People switched because people are idiots. Every daytime time slot was still a WEEI win in terms of what was actually on the air. The only person on 98.5 who was worth listening to, at all, was Zolak, but people being idiots, they went with the shiny new toy even though it was crap.

Well, Boston sports fans are now getting what they deserve, which is inferior radio from both stations.

Why is it anyone who doesn't agree with your taste idiots?

People switched because of many reasons including that WEEI used a tired format and loved to drive low hanging fruit stories into the ground. If they found a hot story like say Jerry Sandusky, they would talk about it for days or weeks on end because it was easy to generate talk.

I don't think people changed because they were idiots. I think they changed because they were tired of WEEI. And let's face it, it got fat and lazy because it never had any competition with a signal strong enough to challenge it.

Ordway was a special kind of smug when he was the only show in town. He routinely mocked Bruins fans when he wasn't ignoring hockey altogether. Ordway also spoke over and pompously lectured any caller who dared to disagree. To his credit he expressed a measure of regret doing these things during his farewell show on EEI.

Yeah, Ordway embodied everything wrong with WEEI before he left. As I said in my last post about WEEI, he got fat and lazy. He liked to put on guys like Dakota and Steve from Fall River just to make fun of their ridiculous comments and generate callers.

I think the entire station had that smug attitude. The morning guys would routinely gloat about their ratings and the whole crew would make fun of other upstart sports radio stations that failed (until the one came along which succeeded).

I can't say I'm terribly disappointed WEEI got their comeuppance, but that still doesn't make me pathetic enough to listen to Felger and Mazz.

Bruins fans deserved to be mocked at the time. It's not as if WEEI was wrong in their take. Bruins fans were supporting a team that was openly crapping on them, and hadn't even bothered trying to win anything for about 20 years. The attendance fan base had gotten to the point where even hardcore fans were deserting the team in numbers.

People switched because of many reasons including that WEEI used a tired format and loved to drive low hanging fruit stories into the ground. If they found a hot story like say Jerry Sandusky, they would talk about it for days or weeks on end because it was easy to generate talk.
Whuh huh? When the Jerry Sandusky scandal broke, that was far and away the top story in all of sports. The entire country was talking about it for days/weeks on end. I refuse to criticize WEEI for talking about the thing that everyone was talking about. Heck, if anything, I dislike WEEI for be too focused on the local scene and ignoring national stories when they occur.

Whuh huh? When the Jerry Sandusky scandal broke, that was far and away the top story in all of sports. The entire country was talking about it for days/weeks on end. I refuse to criticize WEEI for talking about the thing that everyone was talking about. Heck, if anything, I dislike WEEI for be too focused on the local scene and ignoring national stories when they occur.

Yeah, everyone talked about for days or even weeks, but weeks after everyone else was done, Dennis and Callahan were talking about it like it was the biggest story.

Again, they beat every big story, especially non-sports sports story to the ground.

I think the entire station had that smug attitude. The morning guys would routinely gloat about their ratings and the whole crew would make fun of other upstart sports radio stations that failed (until the one came along which succeeded).

Agreed.

I can't say I'm terribly disappointed WEEI got their comeuppance, but that still doesn't make me pathetic enough to listen to Felger and Mazz.

LOLz, well their ratings indicate there are a lot of "pathetic" people who like the show including me. Other than entertainment and an occasional laugh what are you expecting from a radio show? They're no doing audio versions of Masterpiece Theater.

They didn't fire him as a panic move, they fired him as a money saving move. If you're going to get crappy ratings, you may as well do it with a guy you're paying $150k than $1.8 mil.

They're the #2 sports station in town. I think this town is big enough for 2 sports stations. In fact, call me crazy, but I think having competition is healthy.

WEEI was/is in panic mode. They changed the format of the big show by getting rid of everybody but Ordway and teaming him up with Michael Holley in hopes of getting better ratings. They let that show run for a while and the rating were obviously not what they wanted so they finally fired Ordway Ask yourself this, would they have fired Ordway if he remained number one? Probabaly not.

WEEI is is used to being number one. Now look at the ratings.

Toucher and Rich #1
D&C #2

Gresh and Zo #2
Mut and Merloni #7

Felger and Maz #1
Salk and Holley #3

#2 sports station in Town? As for as I am concerned there are only two sports stations in town. WEEI and Sports hub. WEEI was number 1 forever. The days of their "We can do and say whatever the hell we want because we are the only sports talk in town and we know you will still listen." attitude did not bode well for them when 98.5 came along. I do agree that competition is great because if not we would still have to listen to the big show if we wanted sports talk.

Sports talk for me is something to listen to in the car when I am working ...
Never tune in otherwise ... if they annoy me I will listen to 1030 AM WBZ all day.

If at my desk in the afternoon I will watch Felger/Mazz - all the major news networks are horrible.

I used to hate Felger ... now I can stomach him but Mazz is a total buffoon who never has any honest opinion ... he always plays the schill and is desperate enough for attention that he looks comfortable doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes