PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Wolfe out at WEEI

Just great; another outsider without a rooting interest in the success of our teams.

Entercom is based in Philly...the CEO could care less about us or the New England region. Owns a vacation home on the Jersey Shore....diminishing listener base could lead to the carpetbagger selling off the Boston piece of the empire...maybe John Henry and associates?

doubt we will ever be properly represented around here though

As this thread clearly points out, the state of sports radio in Boston is deplorable. I go back to before the days of Eddie Andelman and The Sports Huddle and was eagerly awaiting the moment when they threw the switch at WEEI and Dale Arnold's voice started everything off. In those days I enjoyed Arnold and Andelman (although not so much together but always liked it when Kevin Mannix and Ron Hobson were on with EA) and Glenn Ordway as well. I loved the format of The Big Show wondering who was going to be on that day and actually getting some excellent analysis before it degenerated into buffoonery at times. I always looked forward to Ordway, Smerlas and DeOssie interviewing BB, because he always seemed at ease with them, and shared some interesting insights on football and a few laughs. Never really cared for Craig Mustard and thought Ted Sarandis was pretty much out there. I always enjoyed listening to The Quality Hang with Steve Buckley who I've always felt made a sincere attempt to counteract the idiocy and moron factor that exists in sports radio and was very often successful at it while being able to laugh at himself.

The present day EEI lineup is just horrible. I can't stand the reactionary viewpoints of D&C, Mut is just terrible and Merloni is not much better. I like Holley and feel like he wants to do an intelligent show but think he gets dragged down by the station's lowest common denominator approach and Salk who just isn't good. They should give him his own show and see if he can raise the bar over there. Mike Adams is okay for a few minutes but it's the shame old ridiculous schtick all the time that becomes tiresome.

After a few upstart stations tried to get a foothold in the Boston market, I was skeptical that The Sports Hub would be successful, but it certainly has. Little by little I found myself listening to them more than EEI, but overall my time spent listening to sports radio has decreased drastically. I'm not a big fan of T&R, but I do like to listen to Gresh and Zo during the Patriots season--at least they talk about the game of football with some knowledge and understanding. Felger has made a living at being a contrarion and Mazz is just whiney. I do like how Bertrand calls Felger out and isn't afraid to disagree. DA wasn't so bad and Adam Jones at least does a show that you can stand listening to the few times I've heard it. One of the hosts I really like is Flynn as he shares his knowledge of being a long-time NFL player in an intelligent and concise manner. I also think Hardy is very good. Both of those guys should get a regular show during the week; I'd listen to them.

I'd love to see EEI try to find some intelligent hosts and raise the bar on the sports discourse here in Boston. I would certainly go back and listen if that were to happen, but I don't know if that's the way to get ratings and that's what drives everything.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back