PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - the "GOAT" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
God I hate these Sunday Night games. By the time I listen to all the post game pressers, check out the box score, and think about what I'm going to talk about; it's always past 1am before I even start. Bill would say, "Just suck it up, DO YOUR JOB, and stop whining". So I will. ;)

This was an over hyped game against a good offense that didn't turn out to be much of a game in reality. All week long we were prepared to see another shoot out that would rival the KC game in its magnitude. But instead it was the DEFENSE that stood out and stole the show (at least imo). The Packers might be a flawed team, but it's offensive fire power is as good as we are going to see short of the Superbowl, and we (relatively in today's game) shut them down.

It was also a game where the Offense without Gronk, Sony, and Shaq scored 31 points, had no short fields, and yet infuriated me no end through most of this game. Maybe I'm spoiled but it seemed that for most of the game it was the Pats who got all the breaks and calls, and yet squandered so many of those breaks in the worst ways. I was so pissed at Josh McDaniels that I was tempted to start rooting for the underdog Packers just to teach him a lesson about being too cute and not just doing the obvious. Not scoring when you have first and goal from the one is a venial sin (I may be Jewish, but I coached at a Catholic HS for 8 years), and one boarding on being mortal.

You had a 230 lb guy who had run HARD for 50 yds on 5 carries available on first an goal, and INSTEAD you run a mini-back who can't create yardage on his own AND who injured his knee and had to sit out a lot of the 2nd quarter.....and the results were predictable. Then on 3rd and 4th down you DON'T have Patterson in the backfield to at least pose a threat of a run making it easy for the defense to defend in that shortened area. The results weren't just failures, they were UGLY failures. Two plays that had NO chance at success.

I mean I found it stunning that these plays came from an OC who was freakin' BRILLIANT in his game plan for this game with 3 key guys missing. That opening drive was sheer genius. It is hard to believe both situations were handled by the same guy. Here's the thing. The Pats red zone passing offense just sucks right now. Something like 0-6 in the last 2 games. Where are the pick plays, the bunch formation's, the creativity? If it's there I'm not seeing it. Or am I just overreacting. The GB defense was wounded coming in and it got only worse as the game went on. Even missing those guys, the offense should have done better.

OK I have vented a bit and I'm feeling better. Lets break it down, and start with the real starring unit the Defense.

1. General defensive thoughts - Aaron Rodgers really IS a great QB, and he made a LOT of throws into tight coverage that made you want to go WOW! Just perfect placements that left you shaking your head. And yet in the end it was the defense that ended up making more plays than Rodgers did. Holding the Packers to just 7 points the entire 2nd half was AWESOME because the GB has some serious offensive threats with Adams, Cobb, Graham and it was a rookie that had the 100 yd game. Their RB looked good to me as well (aside from the fumble of course). The best they've had there for a while. So holding Rodgers to just 250 yds passing and by and large keeping him contained, and putting fairly consistent pressure on him, is an accomplishment. A very promising one at that.

2. Front 7 - They were a little soft I think vs the run game. They had zero tackles for a loss in the run game. But that might have been because they were playing for the Packer passing game. Adam Butler was in for a lot of first and tens and not just 3rd downs. You had to figure GB would be throwing the ball over 40 times. (43). Still I wish it were a bit better. OTOH it was the Front 7 that turned the ball over (Guy) in the key play of the game.

As to the pass rush, it keeps getting a little better every week. We haven't seen it turn into multiple sacks just yet, but IIRC late in the game Collingsworth mentioned that the Rodgers was getting pressured on about 45% of his dropbacks while Brady was down in the twenties. So if the most important question that you need to have answered yes is, "is the defense getting better?"'; then you can check that box off.

3. Secondary. There were 2 things that popped out to me about the secondary. First, this was by far Jason McCourty's best game as a Patriot. He made a number of important plays over the course of the game, and even a few of the catches that were made on him were just great throws into tiny tiny windows. The 2nd thing is that Stephon Gilmore is earning EVERY penny of that big contract he got. He saw time covering either Adams or Graham, and wound up giving up 2 catches for 16 yard to Adams and zero when he was covering Graham. THAT is a good night's work. Plus he's proven to be a tough tackler as well.

The rest of secondary didn't suck either they just didn't excel like those 2 (though Chung was his usual gritty self and probably deserved a nod as well). If I were to nitpick one play, it would have been the GB TD to Graham. I thought Harmon should have recognized Graham running BEHIND him and gotten deeper and been in position to help on that play. Of course you could also blame the lack of any rush on that play as well. But in the end they held Rodgers to a 58% completion rate which is OUTSTANDING in this era.

4. I would also like to tip my cap to Brian Flores for a nice job of mixing up the play calling. It's hard to do with a QB like Rodgers who has seen a lot. All you can do is hope you can confuse him a few times. Just as Mike Pettine got Brady a few times in that 3rd Quarter. (BTW- was Pettine the Jets DC for that 2o10 playoff loss?)

5 Offensive general thoughts - Well I covered most this in my opening and stick by what I said. There actually was a lot over really good things in this game like that opening drive. But a lot of curious ones too. Like who would have thought that Dwayne Allen would have more catches than Chris Hogan. :eek: Christ, Dorsett came out of obscurity to have 3 catches. Why is Hogan seemingly being frozen out? Was he even targeted last night?

6. QB- For a period of this game Mike Pettine got into Brady's head where we saw him throw 7 out of 8 incompletions in one stretch where the offense didn't do anything. He was, as noted, also frustrated in the red zone. In today's game having a 63% completion rate is almost at the Mendoza line, at least with someone like Brady at the controls. I didn't see too many throws where he just missed. I DID see a number of plays where he just didn't have anyone to throw to.

There was one play that I thought spoke the difference between Brady and Rodgers. You know the blitz that came in from G/T gap that got Brady sacked. The Pats tried what looked to be the same one and Van Noy came in just as clean as the GB LB. The only difference was, while Brady just had to stand and take it, Rodgers almost effortlessly made KVN miss and rolled outside. In the end the play resulted in an incompletion, but it just struck me as to why some might think that that ability would make Rodgers the better QB, even when the full picture SHOULD tell you differently.

But like most of his career Brady ended up doing more for his team than the other QB did for his. Once again he proved he was the best QB on the field tonight.

7. OL - Decent night. I thought overall they did a good job protecting Brady. The first sack just a case of, "I thought YOU were taking him". "No I thought YOU were taking him" and in the end no one took him. :rolleyes: (Andrews and Thuney). The second one (the blitz I mentioned above), I THINK that James White anticipated the blitz coming from outside the OT and kind of overran it and couldn't get back. He had a very pained look on his face after the play.

As to the run blocking it was OK. They got their 100 yds rushing (27 carries) and there were holes to run through (except on the GL, which needs to get fixed)

8.RBs - We really need Michell to get back so we have can have a REAL running game again. Either that or we should just put Patterson back there and train him to expand his game. Maybe one of the reasons he WASN'T the game on that GL series was they aren't confident he can pick up a blitz or do anything more complex than run a sweep or a wham play. The fact that Gillislee isn't back just shows how wrong they were on that decision. (I loved it at the time). Are we really going to go ANOTHER Game with just 2 RB's in the game plan.

KBarner might have only played a few snaps, but his blitz pick up of Clay Matthews is going to wind up of Bill's "this is how you pick up a blitz" teaching real for the next decade. ;)

9. Receivers - Josh Gordon's size doesn't impress me. His speed actually disappoints me. However his hands just WOW me. I know that sideline catch that was called out might not have counted, but it was worth the price of admission to the game. Like I said, I find his lack of ability to create separation to be a bit disappointing. But it looks like he doesn't NEED any separation to go and get the ball. A 50% target to completion ratio isn't very Patriot-like, but his 130 yds more than makes up for it, especially this early in the game.

Julian had a drop that ended a drive, but had 6 catches in 10 targets, plus another completed pass on play that was beautifully designed and executed. All in all a decent night

Dorsett was 3-3 including a couple of first downs.

James White now has 61 receptions in just over half the season. We have proven we can win without Gronk. I just hope we don't have to find out if we can win without White. Who would have thought we'd ever be saying THAT!

Could be that this week they will be calling Chris Hogan, "Waldo" as in Where's Waldo. I know he's out there with the first unit, but his production has fallen off a cliff in recent weeks. Is it time to wonder why?

10 Miscellaneous:

a. I thought the refs were properly innocuous. Though for those haters who like to think that the Pats get all the calls, tonight's game would be one that they could make a good case for. I think the refs made 2 bad calls in the Pats favor (the roughing the kicker penalty for a first down, and ejecting the player instead of just giving him the penalty). Though it should be noted that they gave the Packers a great spot on a big 3rd down play.

But all in all there weren't many flags thrown and I ALWAYS enjoy those games more, even if they missed some holds along the way.

b. I like Chris Collingsworth. I hate the other guy. I hated all the GOAT hype, as if it were even a question. And the thing I hated the most about this broadcast was all the commercials that had Aaron Rodgers in them. ;)

c. Greg Bedard did a great piece on some of the differences between Rodgers and Brady and why he thinks there is no question that Brady is the GOAT. BTW- Bedard covered Rodgers for 4 years before he came here, so he got to know him up close. Since it's 3:30 now I won't get into the details, but I will if anyone is interested tomorrow.

d. Saints and the Rams was a GREAT game to watch. Looks like they will do it again in the playoffs. I can't wait. Also I'm looking forward to the next SD/KC game. SD might just be a more complete team, especially when Bosa comes back. The Chargers are very quietly having a great season. Very under the radar.

e. When you watch a Raven's/Steeler's game you end up hoping BOTH teams will lose, though James Connors is a great story. I know a lot people on the draft board liked him.

f. I'm thinking this team needs a bye. Hopefully we can get by the Titans. I have the Cowboys in my pool (4-0 this week with one to go :D ), so I hope they can soften them up some as well as give me a perfect weekend. I can use it.

OK I'm done. I'm sure I will think of more things to say, but later. Comment on what you disagree with and add your own observations. Until tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hogan’s disappearance is puzzling. When Edelman was out it wasn’t surprising, but he’s still MIA, and I don’t think he’s hurt. Weird.

I was so pissed at Josh McDaniels that I was tempted to start rooting for the underdog Packers just to teach him a lesson about being too cute and not just doing the obvious.

At times McDaniels lost the script a bit yesterday. The goalline sequence that you mentioned was pretty obvious (Just try outside zone a bit earlier if you are a yard out). That being said lets not forget that Brady can always check to a run if he sees a more favorable matchup that way.

The other thing that came to mind was the lack of screens in those two 3 & out series when Pettine adjusted to take away CPs run lanes in the middle. But then he unveils that crazy play design on the Edelman screen pass. It was more hot than cold last night.

As to the pass rush, it keeps getting a little better every week. We haven't seen it turn into multiple sacks just yet, but IIRC late in the game Collingsworth mentioned that the Rodgers was getting pressured on about 45% of his dropbacks while Brady was down in the twenties. So if the most important question that you need to have answered yes is, "is the defense getting better?"'; then you can check that box off.

I think we are getting to the point where the staff has clearly identified what the best roles for most players are and the correct mix of how to use them. The better pass rush and coverage are just the logical consequence of it. The BYE week should give us another boost in that sense because they will have more time than between games to do some more self-scouting and a few corrections. Either way the defense seems closer to having an identity than the offense.

There were 2 things that popped out to me about the secondary. First, this was by far Jason McCourty's best game as a Patriot. He made a number of important plays over the course of the game, and even a few of the catches that were made on him were just great throws into tiny tiny windows. The 2nd thing is that Stephon Gilmore is earning EVERY penny of that big contract he got. He saw time covering either Adams or Graham, and wound up giving up 2 catches for 16 yard to Adams and zero when he was covering Graham. THAT is a good night's work. Plus he's proven to be a tough tackler as well.

I said it last week and I will say it again I dont understand why people are undervaluing JMac around here. He is having a really good season as CB2, comes at a laughably small cap hit and gives our young CB depth more time to learn and get ready. Replacing Butler -- who is struggling on his big deal -- with him was a team building masterstroke that is flying severely under the radar.

If I were to nitpick one play, it would have been the GB TD to Graham. I thought Harmon should have recognized Graham running BEHIND him and gotten deeper and been in position to help on that play. Of course you could also blame the lack of any rush on that play as well.

My gut feeling when I saw the replays was that Harmon`s responsibility here was not Graham but bracketing Adams underneath. So if he had just abandoned that Rodgers might have just gotten him in the vacated space instead.

To me that was more of an instance where the pass rush took too long (or never got there) and Rodgers could just let each route develop.

Like who would have thought that Dwayne Allen would have more catches than Chris Hogan. :eek: Christ, Dorsett came out of obscurity to have 3 catches. Why is Hogan seemingly being frozen out? Was he even targeted last night?

Allen played great in the Gronk blocking role and finally got Brady to look at him on the play where the two Packers defenders picked each other. Good for him.

If Hogan was not blatantly held in the endzone he would have gotten a TD pass. So it is not like he is frozen out but he just ended up on the bottom of the target list because Gordon is a better option at similar depth that Hogan usually operates on and then also was the victim of situational things.

The two routes that Dorsett continues to get are the comeback around the sideline and the quick screen-like pass where he often can make the first defender miss due to his elusiveness.

In the end both of them where just not part of this weeks gameplan. There is only so much time you can spend on every player and design plays for them. This was not their week. And in Dorsett`s case not their month.

We really need Michell to get back so we have can have a REAL running game again. Either that or we should just put Patterson back there and train him to expand his game. Maybe one of the reasons he WASN'T the game on that GL series was they aren't confident he can pick up a blitz or do anything more complex than run a sweep or a wham play.

I thought they schemed some runs up or CP by creating holes at points where he had enough time to get into his highest gear and become dangerous. Then Pettine took that away by switching to those Bear fronts. As soon as CP stopped getting those straight line holes he looked not particularly efficient.

My main problem with CP is that he usually is a good indicator for a play being a run which means opponents can key off that and play the odds. As you said Ken as long as they dont trust him in pass protection it is a situation that is very much similar to when LGB was here.

Last edited:
I thought the game plan and game calling by McDaniels for the most part was not all that imaginative, sure there were some great plays but on a couple of drive sending White up the middle was a waste of downs.. otoh 123 yards rushing isn't that bad, considering the absence of Michel but then then was the Goal line offense which sucked.

Thought that this was a great defensive effort and great game calling by Flores, holding Rodgers to 259 yards passing, the bend but don't break was less obvious, overall everyone stepped up.. Clayborn showed showed up for this game, and Trey Flowers was once again dominant.

Green Bay catching the Pats off balance when they had too many men on the field, was very Belichickian..

This is the first game that showed that adage it is "how we are playing in November", and once again they play to the level of competition.. play not as well against crappy teams, but play really well against good teams. Proof: wins against the Chiefs, Bears and now the Packers.

The end of the game Brady was his usual goat self, but BB once again was play 3-D chess while McCarthy was playing checkers.. great win.

My only wish was that I did not have to listen to Collingsworth and Michaels, wish there was a way to listen to another broadcast team(Socci and Zo) in real time..

Green Bay catching the Pats off balance when they had too many men on the field, was very Belichickian..

Honestly, I thought this was where Flores' inexperience as a playcaller showed up and he seemed to call the substitutions a bit too late making 3 (!!) of his players dash off the field.

If it is one player you can usually find the blame in him falling asleep or missing a sub call but if it is three players then there was more likely something else causing that penalty.

Could be that this week they will be calling Chris Hogan, "Waldo" as in Where's Waldo. I know he's out there with the first unit, but his production has fallen off a cliff in recent weeks. Is it time to wonder why?

Hogan’s disappearance is puzzling. When Edelman was out it wasn’t surprising, but he’s still MIA, and I don’t think he’s hurt. Weird.

Hogan played 75% of the offensive snaps last night just behind Edelman (90%) and Gordon (80%), and 60% of the ST snaps. Hogan was targeted once (incomplete), but he still made several key blocks.

Hogan in the previous four games (since Edelman's return)...
..... 15 of 17 (88%), 224 yds (14.9 ypc) - while averaging 68% of the O-snaps
.... 224 yds in four games = 56 yds/game; his averages in 2016 and 2017 were 45 and 49

MIA??!! "fallen off a cliff"???

It's been one game. The Pats offensive attack is opponent and situation specific. Has been for about 18 years.

I think Hogan is being asked to do a lot of what DA had been doing in previous years and that's not playing to his strength.

I also don't think JE11 is 100%. He doesn't quite have that second gear. Hopefully the knee will get better and better and we'll see more of that short area burst from him.

I bet Gronk and Michel both sit again vs the Titans with the bye coming up after that.

The way the playoffs are shaking out in the AFC it's in some order: KC, NE, Houston, Pitt, LAC and Cincinnati with Miami and Baltimore still in the hunt. The bottom three teams all have brutal remaining schedules. None of them scare me on paper but I'd prefer Baltimore doesn't make it because of the history.

Of the other teams I'd rather face Pitt or SD. Very simply this defense is good when they don't face a mobile QB. Yes they beat Watson but he's getting more and more mobile. Yes they beat Rodgers but his legs weren't 100% either. I'd rather face Rivers or Roethlisberger who can both scramble on occasion but they aren't running all of those RPO plays, scrambling for first down after first down when the receivers are all covered or throwing some ridiculous pass on the run while extending the play. Obviously KC is vastly more talented than Houston but Houston does have BoB and ex-coaches tend to come up with great game plans vs the Pats.

I think both SD and Pitt could go into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs. Being the 2 seed and playing either the Steelers or Texans wouldn't be an automatic trip to KC. Reid in KC is 1-4 in the playoffs with 3 one and outs. His one win was a Brian Hoyer led Houston team that was seriously undermanned.

I mean I found it stunning that these plays came from an OC who was freakin' BRILLIANT in his game plan for this game with 3 key guys missing. That opening drive was sheer genius. It is hard to believe both situations were handled by the same guy.

I'm pretty sure Josh McDaniels left the field to take a piss during the goal line stand, and Grady Little came in to call the plays! :eek:

Hogan played 75% of the offensive snaps last night just behind Edelman (90%) and Gordon (80%), and 60% of the ST snaps. Hogan was targeted once (incomplete), but he still made several key blocks.

Hogan in the previous four games (since Edelman's return)...
..... 15 of 17 (88%), 224 yds (14.9 ypc) - while averaging 68% of the O-snaps
.... 224 yds in four games = 56 yds/game; his averages in 2016 and 2017 were 45 and 49

MIA??!! "fallen off a cliff"???

It's been one game. The Pats offensive attack is opponent and situation specific. Has been for about 18 years.
Wasn’t really talking snaps and your last paragraph is unnecessary, but fair enough on Hogan’s numbers in the last four games before yesterday’s goose egg.

The 2nd thing is that Stephon Gilmore is earning EVERY penny of that big contract he got. He saw time covering either Adams or Graham, and wound up giving up 2 catches for 16 yard to Adams and zero when he was covering Graham. THAT is a good night's work. Plus he's proven to be a tough tackler as well.
This is worth revisiting because that first season we got Gilmore (and it came right after Malcolm Butler's fantastic SB finish), many of us - and while I don't think I spoke against it out loud, was wondering what BB was doing - thought that Butler should have been the #1 guy and awarded a good contract (probably even under what we paid Gilmore). It took Gilmore the better part of the season -post Thanksgiving - to start giving fans an idea why BB chose him. Just another reminder that the Boss (BB) does have a pretty good idea of what he is doing.

I thought the game plan and game calling by McDaniels for the most part was not all that imaginative, sure there were some great plays but on a couple of drive sending White up the middle was a waste of downs.. otoh 123 yards rushing isn't that bad, considering the absence of Michel but then then was the Goal line offense which sucked.
Is it me, or have we been routinely diving into the gadget playbook a bit more than usual these last 2-3 games. Fairly successfully, but what does it mean of the state of the offense in general? Is it a way to make up for the lack of a proper ground game (seems to make the most sense)? or just giving future opponents more to think about (never a bad thing).

We've used it in the past when the situation required a comeback, but we've been doing it more when the game is neutral. Just an observation and I fully expect BB to explain it in his next presser :D.

The officials were horrible. They made miserable calls all night, but the one redeeming aspect was that there was no particular pattern -- both teams got shafted.

Wasn’t really talking snaps and your last paragraph is unnecessary, but fair enough on Hogan’s numbers in the last four games before yesterday’s goose egg.

Sorry. It seems to me that there have been a lot of "hawt taeks" recently that ignore the variability of usage that's always part of the context of the Pats opponent-specific game-planning and situational adjustments, and it's gotten under my skin.

God I hate these Sunday Night games. By the time I listen to all the post game pressers, check out the box score, and think about what I'm going to talk about; it's always past 1am before I even start. Bill would say, "Just suck it up, DO YOUR JOB, and stop whining". So I will. ;)

This was an over hyped game against a good offense that didn't turn out to be much of a game in reality. All week long we were prepared to see another shoot out that would rival the KC game in its magnitude. But instead it was the DEFENSE that stood out and stole the show (at least imo). The Packers might be a flawed team, but it's offensive fire power is as good as we are going to see short of the Superbowl, and we (relatively in today's game) shut them down.

It was also a game where the Offense without Gronk, Sony, and Shaq scored 31 points, had no short fields, and yet infuriated me no end through most of this game. Maybe I'm spoiled but it seemed that for most of the game it was the Pats who got all the breaks and calls, and yet squandered so many of those breaks in the worst ways. I was so pissed at Josh McDaniels that I was tempted to start rooting for the underdog Packers just to teach him a lesson about being too cute and not just doing the obvious. Not scoring when you have first and goal from the one is a venial sin (I may be Jewish, but I coached at a Catholic HS for 8 years), and one boarding on being mortal.

You had a 230 lb guy who had run HARD for 50 yds on 5 carries available on first an goal, and INSTEAD you run a mini-back who can't create yardage on his own AND who injured his knee and had to sit out a lot of the 2nd quarter.....and the results were predictable. Then on 3rd and 4th down you DON'T have Patterson in the backfield to at least pose a threat of a run making it easy for the defense to defend in that shortened area. The results weren't just failures, they were UGLY failures. Two plays that had NO chance at success.

I mean I found it stunning that these plays came from an OC who was freakin' BRILLIANT in his game plan for this game with 3 key guys missing. That opening drive was sheer genius. It is hard to believe both situations were handled by the same guy. Here's the thing. The Pats red zone passing offense just sucks right now. Something like 0-6 in the last 2 games. Where are the pick plays, the bunch formation's, the creativity? If it's there I'm not seeing it. Or am I just overreacting. The GB defense was wounded coming in and it got only worse as the game went on. Even missing those guys, the offense should have done better.

OK I have vented a bit and I'm feeling better. Lets break it down, and start with the real starring unit the Defense.

1. General defensive thoughts - Aaron Rodgers really IS a great QB, and he made a LOT of throws into tight coverage that made you want to go WOW! Just perfect placements that left you shaking your head. And yet in the end it was the defense that ended up making more plays than Rodgers did. Holding the Packers to just 7 points the entire 2nd half was AWESOME because the GB has some serious offensive threats with Adams, Cobb, Graham and it was a rookie that had the 100 yd game. Their RB looked good to me as well (aside from the fumble of course). The best they've had there for a while. So holding Rodgers to just 250 yds passing and by and large keeping him contained, and putting fairly consistent pressure on him, is an accomplishment. A very promising one at that.

2. Front 7 - They were a little soft I think vs the run game. They had zero tackles for a loss in the run game. But that might have been because they were playing for the Packer passing game. Adam Butler was in for a lot of first and tens and not just 3rd downs. You had to figure GB would be throwing the ball over 40 times. (43). Still I wish it were a bit better. OTOH it was the Front 7 that turned the ball over (Guy) in the key play of the game.

3. Secondary. There were 2 things that popped out to me about the secondary. First, this was by far Jason McCourty's best game as a Patriot. He made a number of important plays over the course of the game, and even a few of the catches that were made on him were just great throws into tiny tiny windows. The 2nd thing is that Stephon Gilmore is earning EVERY penny of that big contract he got. He saw time covering either Adams or Graham, and wound up giving up 2 catches for 16 yard to Adams and zero when he was covering Graham. THAT is a good night's work. Plus he's proven to be a tough tackler as well.

The rest of secondary didn't suck either they just didn't excel like those 2 (though Chung was his usual gritty self and probably deserved a nod as well). If I were to nitpick one play, it would have been the GB TD to Graham. I thought Harmon should have recognized Graham running BEHIND him and gotten deeper and been in position to help on that play. Of course you could also blame the lack of any rush on that play as well. But in the end they held Rodgers to a 58% completion rate which is OUTSTANDING in this era.

4. I would also like to tip my cap to Brian Flores for a nice job of mixing up the play calling. It's hard to do with a QB like Rodgers who has seen a lot. All you can do is hope you can confuse him a few times. Just as Mike Pettine got Brady a few times in that 3rd Quarter. (BTW- was Pettine the Jets DC for that 2o10 playoff loss?)

5 Offensive general thoughts - Well I covered most this in my opening and stick by what I said. There actually was a lot over really good things in this game like that opening drive. But a lot of curious ones too. Like who would have thought that Dwayne Allen would have more catches than Chris Hogan. :eek: Christ, Dorsett came out of obscurity to have 3 catches. Why is Hogan seemingly being frozen out? Was he even targeted last night?

6. QB- For a period of this game Mike Pettine got into Brady's head where we saw him throw 7 out of 8 incompletions in one stretch where the offense didn't do anything. He was, as noted, also frustrated in the red zone. In today's game having a 63% completion rate is almost at the Mendoza line, at least with someone like Brady at the controls. I didn't see too many throws where he just missed. I DID see a number of plays where he just didn't have anyone to throw to.

There was one play that I thought spoke the difference between Brady and Rodgers. You know the blitz that came in from G/T gap that got Brady sacked. The Pats tried what looked to be the same one and Van Noy came in just as clean as the GB LB. The only difference was, while Brady just had to stand and take it, Rodgers almost effortlessly made KVN miss and rolled outside. In the end the play resulted in an incompletion, but it just struck me as to why some might think that that ability would make Rodgers the better QB, even when the full picture SHOULD tell you differently.

But like most of his career Brady ended up doing more for his team than the other QB did for his. Once again he proved he was the best QB on the field tonight.

7. OL - Decent night. I thought overall they did a good job protecting Brady. The first sack just a case of, "I thought YOU were taking him". "No I thought YOU were taking him" and in the end no one took him. :rolleyes: (Andrews and Thuney). The second one (the blitz I mentioned above), I THINK that James White anticipated the blitz coming from outside the OT and kind of overran it and couldn't get back. He had a very pained look on his face after the play.

As to the run blocking it was OK. They got their 100 yds rushing (27 carries) and there were holes to run through (except on the GL, which needs to get fixed)

8.RBs - We really need Michell to get back so we have can have a REAL running game again. Either that or we should just put Patterson back there and train him to expand his game. Maybe one of the reasons he WASN'T the game on that GL series was they aren't confident he can pick up a blitz or do anything more complex than run a sweep or a wham play. The fact that Gillislee isn't back just shows how wrong they were on that decision. (I loved it at the time). Are we really going to go ANOTHER Game with just 2 RB's in the game plan.

KBarner might have only played a few snaps, but his blitz pick up of Clay Matthews is going to wind up of Bill's "this is how you pick up a blitz" teaching real for the next decade. ;)

9. Receivers - Josh Gordon's size doesn't impress me. His speed actually disappoints me. However his hands just WOW me. I know that sideline catch that was called out might not have counted, but it was worth the price of admission to the game. Like I said, I find his lack of ability to create separation to be a bit disappointing. But it looks like he doesn't NEED any separation to go and get the ball. A 50% target to completion ratio isn't very Patriot-like, but his 130 yds more than makes up for it, especially this early in the game.

Julian had a drop that ended a drive, but had 6 catches in 10 targets, plus another completed pass on play that was beautifully designed and executed. All in all a decent night

Dorsett was 3-3 including a couple of first downs.

James White now has 61 receptions in just over half the season. We have proven we can win without Gronk. I just hope we don't have to find out if we can win without White. Who would have thought we'd ever be saying THAT!

10 Miscellaneous:

a. I thought the refs were properly innocuous. Though for those haters who like to think that the Pats get all the calls, tonight's game would be one that they could make a good case for. I think the refs made 2 bad calls in the Pats favor (the roughing the kicker penalty for a first down, and ejecting the player instead of just giving him the penalty). Though it should be noted that they gave the Packers a great spot on a big 3rd down play.

But all in all there weren't many flags thrown and I ALWAYS enjoy those games more, even if they missed some holds along the way.

b. I like Chris Collingsworth. I hate the other guy. I hated all the GOAT hype, as if it were even a question. And the thing I hated the most about this broadcast was all the commercials that had Aaron Rodgers in them. ;)

c. Greg Bedard did a great piece on some of the differences between Rodgers and Brady and why he thinks there is no question that Brady is the GOAT. BTW- Bedard covered Rodgers for 4 years before he came here, so he got to know him up close. Since it's 3:30 now I won't get into the details, but I will if anyone is interested tomorrow.

d. Saints and the Rams was a GREAT game to watch. Looks like they will do it again in the playoffs. I can't wait. Also I'm looking forward to the next SD/KC game. SD might just be a more complete team, especially when Bosa comes back. The Chargers are very quietly having a great season. Very under the radar.

e. When you watch a Raven's/Steeler's game you end up hoping BOTH teams will lose, though James Connors is a great story. I know a lot people on the draft board liked him.

f. I'm thinking this team needs a bye. Hopefully we can get by the Titans. I have the Cowboys in my pool (4-0 this week with one to go :D ), so I hope they can soften them up some as well as give me a perfect weekend. I can use it.

OK I'm done. I'm sure I will think of more things to say, but later. Comment on what you disagree with and add your own observations. Until tomorrow.
Great job PFK
My 2 cents....

Stats don't support the narrative that Green Bay is an offensive juggernaut....#15 in points after this weekend.. Sure, Rogers is a scary but that team lacks playmakers and took a small step backwards with the departure of Nelson. The Green Bay ownership structure hold's that team back...plus the city of Green Bay will never draw quality FAs. They will always have their tundra and cheese though.

Patterson's body type reminds me of Melvin Gordon.....and that gets me excited. I can't remember a Pats "RB" ever attacking the LOS with such velocity

Two weeks in a row, I got the impression NE was holding back scheme-wise until absolutely necessary...both on O and D.
Score too tight....lets open the bag of tricks.
Need to finally get too Rogers....lets abandon the charge forward/straight up attack and scheme a more deceptive rush.
Maybe I'm projecting what I hope is true. Last week, when NE was settling for FG after FG....I sensed that Brady was amused without any concern.
Then there's the short kick offs despite last weeks burn.
Does BB see these games as extended training camp.
Should I sober up?

So much great QB play in the league right now.....KC, Rams, NO, etc.
Which young QB would BB like to have for the next 15 years? I know he prefers pocket passers who have a greater chance lasting in the league....I think BB would choose Goff.

Finally.......all NE does is win...it's incredible. Teams like NO with a great QB need to retool every few years and endure a down cycle....it is just a fact of life....but not NE.....not BB and his revolving door of street FA's necessary most years to fill out his roster....Not TB12 who meets half his weapons every mid season.
Just incredible...Professional Game Winners

I also don't think JE11 is 100%. He doesn't quite have that second gear.

Edelman:

2016 (age 30):
62% catch rate .. 6.1 rec/gm .. 69.1 yds/gm .. 11.3 ypc .. 3.93 YAC/rec
.... 3 TDs/16 gms .. 3.4 1st downs/gm

2018 (age 32, post-ACL):
71% catch rate .. 6.2 rec/gm .. 64.4 yds/gm .. 10.4 ypc .. 3.06 YAC/rec
.... 2 TDs/5 gms .. 2.8 1st downs/gm

Thought that this was a great defensive effort and great game calling by Flores, holding Rodgers to 259 yards passing, the bend but don't break was less obvious, overall everyone stepped up.. Clayborn showed showed up for this game, and Trey Flowers was once again dominant.

This is the first game that showed that adage it is "how we are playing in November", and once again they play to the level of competition.. play not as well against crappy teams, but play really well against good teams. Proof: wins against the Chiefs, Bears and now the Packers.

The end of the game Brady was his usual goat self, but BB once again was play 3-D chess while McCarthy was playing checkers.. great win.

My only wish was that I did not have to listen to Collingsworth and Michaels, wish there was a way to listen to another broadcast team(Socci and Zo) in real time..

Aside from the goal line stand where he got a bit too cute, McDaniels was fine. He couldn't be imaginative. He didn't have the personnel healthy to do so. Michel, Gronk, and Mason (our best run blocker) were out. White got dinged up throughout the game. The Packers could just roll their coverage to double Edelman and Gordon throughout the game.

Edelman:

2016 (age 30):
62% catch rate .. 6.1 rec/gm .. 69.1 yds/gm .. 11.3 ypc .. 3.93 YAC/rec
.... 3 TDs/16 gms .. 3.4 1st downs/gm

2018 (age 32, post-ACL):
71% catch rate .. 6.2 rec/gm .. 64.4 yds/gm .. 10.4 ypc .. 3.06 YAC/rec
.... 2 TDs/5 gms .. 2.8 1st downs/gm

Interesting numbers. Maybe it's just a perception on my part then as they don't look that off.

Is it me, or have we been routinely diving into the gadget playbook a bit more than usual these last 2-3 games. Fairly successfully, but what does it mean of the state of the offense in general? Is it a way to make up for the lack of a proper ground game (seems to make the most sense)? or just giving future opponents more to think about (never a bad thing).

Both of those things, and probably a bit more. Gordon isn't quite 100% in sync yet. Edelman is pretty close, but not yet 100% yet (YAC/reception is down a bit). Succeeding on those gadget plays is a confidence-builder.

As Brady said before the BUF game, the offense is still in its infancy.

Gordon in sync, Gronk healthy, Michel healthy, Burkhead back as soon as wk-13. When this offense finally "matures", it could be awesome in its versatility and adaptability - terrifying for opposing DCs.

Well, Edelman isn't quite 100% yet. Probably more like 95%. :)

And that's more like what I meant. I should have prefaced it with a 90-95% where he seems just that tick off. Vs Gronk who feels like he's been playing at 75-80% all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3