PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One thing is VERY obvious - This team cannot comeback from a 2+ score deficit

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we got our asses handed to us by a crappy team at home and we're now 2-1...

...I guess the season's over...

I look at it this way- the areas of concern have been exposed. The defense played like ****. Funny thing is, with the exception of last year, the Pats usually take a dump against the Fools every year.

I'm pissed off and I'm embarrassed, but there's no way in hell I'm giving up on the season. There's now an extra weak in place to work things out. Usually, I don't like the early bye, but this year it seems to have come at just the right time. It'll be okay.

You have to admit, though, that it's a lot easier to rationalize the Pats losing because of Cassel (which I don't personally believe) than to acknowledge the alternative - the defense got whooped, the coaching staff got whooped, the o-line/running game got whooped - oh, wait, that's pretty much the entire team!

Hey, special teams played great. :)

Thanks for your usual worthless response Deus - Always welcomed :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your thread, as usual, is mindless. This team has lost one game and you make a claim like this. Does your mother know that you skip middle school to post this sort of drivel?

Last edited:
Your thread, as usual, is mindless. This team has lost one game and you make a claim like this. Does your mother know that you skip middle school to post this sort of drivel?

Like I said Deus your points are worthless and an embarrasment to Patriots Nation,Try REAL HARD if possible and try to add something to the thread besides your normal worthless garbage as usual please.

Like I said Deus your points are worthless and an embarrasment to Patriots Nation,Try REAL HARD if possible and try to add something to the thread besides your normal worthless garbage as usual please.

The irony of this post coming from you is delicious. I'm not the one making definitive statements about the offense after one loss.

Last edited:

People like you define homers. In 3 games, Cassel has thrown 2 TDs. 2. You think this team can handle a deficit? History shows not. How about you think before you just criticize someone for having their opinion, a valid one at that. I'm not "jumping" ship as others would say, but watching this offense has shown us all that we need to know. We have a below mediocre QB and a line with some holes that need fixing. Losing one game is one thing, have constant mediocre offense is another.

No one expected them to be the same without Brady, but Cassel is showing us expecting a super bowl is ridiculous due to the ineffectiveness of the offense. Yeah, yeah I know 2001 happened. Teams like that come around every so often, not every year.

The fact of the matter is if u cant score over 20, u might have a problem.This offense is capable of scoring 28 at will with a decent QB.The problem is that we have to win by 20 or less with Matt Cassel.I dont know why everyone is not open to the idea of bringing in Jeff Garcia.

Of course, you will never come back when you have a QB who likes to have 2 or 3 field goal kicks.

2+ TD? No. 2+ Score? Maybe. If one of those scores is a FG.

I wish I could gather all the info from years past and see how many games Brady got us bck from 2 score deficits - I think there would be more than you think.

You have to admit that when NE trailed by 21-6 you felt differently about our chances to win yesterday's game than in years past - You knew we were going to lose unless the defense suddenly got turnovers - This years offense is not capable of coming back on the scoreboard and MUST stay close or ahead to stay competitive to win or there is ZERO chance to pull off the victory - Thats the bottom line

Games that this team wins will be the result of a productive running game and a total defensive effort - take any of those 2 away and its a loss - Plain and simple

Moss may not get or reach 600 passing yards this year and that won't help matters any.

OK, since you can't be bothered to back up your statements with facts, I went and got the facts for you.

Do you want to know how many 2+ score deficits that Brady brought the Pats back from? I am defining 2+ scores as a deficit of 8 points or more. And I am giving credit to Brady for the win unless it was the defense who scored the Tying and winning points.

Here it is.

2001- 2 - Week 12 against the Jets. Pats were down 13-0 at the half. Won 17-16. Week 18 against the Raiders (Snow Bowl game). Pats were down 13-3 in the 3rd quarter. Won in OT 16-13.

2002 - 3 - Week 3 against the Chiefs. Pats were down 10-0. They won, 41-38 in OT after blowing a 2 score lead as well. Week 10 against the Bears. Pats go down 27-6 in the 3rd quarter. Brady led Pats rally to win 33-30. Week 17 against the Dolphins. Pats down 14-0 and 21-7. Rally to win 27-24 in OT.

2003 - 0 - None

2004 - 0 - None

2005 - 1 - Week 8 against Buffalo. The Pats were down 16-7 early in the 4th quarter. Pats won 21-16.

2006 - 2 - Week 1 against Buffalo. Pats were trailing Buffalo 17-7 at the half. Pats win 19-17 thanks to a Ty Warren safety on Losman. Week 13 against Detroit. Pats trailed 21-13 going into the 4th quarter, but win 28-21.

2007 - 2 - Week 9 against the Colt. Pats trailing 20-10 going into the 4th quarter. Win 24-20. Week 17 Against the Giants. Pats were down 28-16. Won the game 38-35.

So, across 7 seasons, Brady has led the Patriots to 10 come from behind wins where the the Pats trailed by 2 scores or more. Out of 128 possible games, including the play-offs.

To say that there is ZERO chance that this team could win in a come from behind fashion that requires 2 or more scores is a fallacy on your part. If the O-line doesn't get its at together, then I will agree with you. But if it does, and it keeps Cassel upright, then anything is possible.

People like you define homers. In 3 games, Cassel has thrown 2 TDs. 2. You think this team can handle a deficit? History shows not. How about you think before you just criticize someone for having their opinion, a valid one at that. I'm not "jumping" ship as others would say, but watching this offense has shown us all that we need to know. We have a below mediocre QB and a line with some holes that need fixing. Losing one game is one thing, have constant mediocre offense is another.

No one expected them to be the same without Brady, but Cassel is showing us expecting a super bowl is ridiculous due to the ineffectiveness of the offense. Yeah, yeah I know 2001 happened. Teams like that come around every so often, not every year.

You need to learn your definitions better, because I'm not a homer. Cassel has made 2 starts. The team is 2-1 in his 3 games this season. Teams play differently when a game is close than when a game opens up. We don't know what this team is capable of as far as comebacks. Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.

Last edited:
I am not pushing the panic button yet because aside from Denver and Buffalo there is not really any team in the AFC standing out right now

BUT

The reality check is here and its the fact we do not have the comeback kid Brady on this team this year which of course means Cassel is in to manage the team and that simply means this team is not capable of making comebacks when trailing by 10 or more points.

Only an idiot will not agree that the team will lose any game when trailing anytime in the second half by 2 or more scores so if this team is going to win 10 games this year like some of you believe, its going to have to have the lead,be tied or trail by less than 7 every time going into the 3rd and 4th quarters or a loss will be the case.

Cassel is not QB TD machine,never will be - so the dink and dunk passing and staying close throughout most games is the only way this team gets to the playoffs - 19 passes for 131 yards and a poor rushing attack will never win games unless the defense plays so well that it gets turnovers and puts the offense deep into the opponents end zone,the defense sucked plain and simple yesterday and Cassel's safety net which has been the defense was not there to help.

So hope and pray that the team never trails by 10 or more in any game because 'Brady,the comeback kid' is not here to get it done this year.

BTW: I do not totally blame Cassel for the loss even though he cannot bring a team back from trailing,The defense sucked and looked old yesterday - Joey Porter said what he was going to do and the defense was Ronnie Brown's b!tch - Hope to not see more like this going forward.

Uh, you are aware that the great Bret Favre has never won a game when trailing by 14 or more points?

So you are lamenting the fact that a backup QB isn't a HOF player. DUH!!!

Even if cassel had scored we could not have won with the defense giving up 7 points on every Miami drive. Having Brady would not have change the fact that they just rolled over and died. We still would have lost.

I think you are wrong.

We win that game yesterday with Brady.

He is that good.

So hope and pray that the team never trails by 10 or more in any game because 'Brady,the comeback kid' is not here to get it done this year.

BTW: I do not totally blame Cassel for the loss even though he cannot bring a team back from trailing,The defense sucked and looked old yesterday - Joey Porter said what he was going to do and the defense was Ronnie Brown's b!tch - Hope to not see more like this going forward.

In his entire career Brett Favre hasn't come back in any game in the NFL when trailing by 14 pts or more. It's hard to come back when trailing by two or more TD's because the game is on the other team's terms. The key to winning in the NFL is playing solid D and not falling behind. If you can keep the game close or play from ahead you dictate the style of game rather than your opponent. Stop making comparisons between Brady and Cassel, Brady is a top 3-5 all time QB and Cassel has started 2 NFL games. Of course the drop off in huge but the Pats need to play a different style game and adapt in order to continue winning. It's a team game and there is more than one way to win games in the NFL. The team as a whole needs to step up and play better as a unit, it all can't be on Cassel's shoulders or any other player for that matter. There are very few players in the history of this league that can carry teams and Brady is one of them but we'll have to wait till next year for that, this year we need to win games with this current group of players.

The problems on D yesterday had nothing to do with being old, it had to do with being out of position and being out-physicalled. Miami gained 461 total yds on offense but 250 of those yds came on 9 plays according to BB. So the defense played ok for 46 of the 57 plays Miami had on offense. I know Miami made those big plays and they deserve credit and the Pats gave them up and they deserve criticism but things aren't as bad as they seem, they never are. The Pats will make corrections and things will be ok going forward, maybe not perfect in the next 5-6 games but as the season wears on the team will improve and this will be ancient history. We all need to relax.

As Cassel stands right now, no he probably cannot erase a 2 score deficit.

If he progresses the way BB and company have projected him to, he should have the ability by the time November/December roll around. Otherwise he wouldn't be our QB.

As Cassel stands right now, no he probably cannot erase a 2 score deficit.

If he progresses the way BB and company have projected him to, he should have the ability by the time November/December roll around. Otherwise he wouldn't be our QB.

There you go, that underscores why we could never have taken Favre...:D

I agree. I have no confidence in cassel's ability inside or outside the red zone for that matter. hes a 1 look and tuck passer at this point. he lacks the pocket sense that i think all good QBs have. maybe its the o-line guilty as well, but either way, this isnt good.

the naysayers might be proven right in the end, but i think it's way too early to draw too many conclusions...the team is going through an enormous change...let's give them more than two games to adapt. sure, it's not likely that matt is going to turn out to be another Steve Young...but two HOF QB's on the same roster was a bolt of lightening that will not likely occur again...

Personally, I don't think Cassel is even an average QB, judging by the fact he almost got cut when he went up against preseason scrubs. But Belichick appears to have faith in him so I'll accept it for what it is, and hope to see improvements from him in the coming weeks. If he can't improve on last week over the next few weeks, then there's a problem.

Personally, I don't think Cassel is even an average QB, judging by the fact he almost got cut when he went up against preseason scrubs. But Belichick appears to have faith in him so I'll accept it for what it is, and hope to see improvements from him in the coming weeks. If he can't improve on last week over the next few weeks, then there's a problem.

Cassel almost got cut? When did Belichick tell you that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News