PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One thing is VERY obvious - This team cannot comeback from a 2+ score deficit

Status
Not open for further replies.
allright...

i ignored this thread for this long, but since its not going away, ill add the obvious input...

if ur team is behind, and playing catch up...

then the first step is your defense stopping the opposing team from getting pts...

if that does not happen, NO offense will have enough time to win the game...

This team may not be capable of scoring 2 plus touchdowns in an

entire game.

I haven't read the whole thread, but as of right now, I can agree with the title for the most part.
It is hopefully a work in progress, though. Running the football doesn't take a seasoned qb, so much as it takes a tough o-line with the talent & desire to move the chains.
Stopping other teams, and not getting steam rolled by a college offensive formation has nothing to do with the qb either, except for the fact that too many unsustained drives gets your tired defense back on the field too soon.

I still think 10-6, maybe 11-5 is there for the taking, but it's hard to ignore that:
a. Acknowledging the shocking loss of TfB, the Pats still only squeaked by the worst team in the AFC.
b. Barely put away the NFL equivalent of the Keystone Cops.
c. Got blown out by a team who just last year, seemingly traded off anyone worth a darn, and won only 1 game.

As impressive as our offense was last year, if you compare personnel with some of the better offenses early this year, we don't look that hot.
a. Moss can stretch the field, but isn't well suited to the short, controlled passing stuff Cassel needs.

b. Wes Welker is one of the top slot guys out, so we got most teams here.

c. Gaffney is solid, but not physically imposing by any means.

d. Our TEs can't seem to stay healthy, and aside from Watson aren't all that great.

e. O-line is banged up and not big enough to push teams around.

f. RB by committee. We've got lots of depth, but they're only as good as the 5 in front of them.

When you compare that to the teams who look to contend this year, our offense as it sits needs to evolve.

Only an idiot will not agree that the team will lose any game when trailing anytime in the second half by 2 or more scores so if this team is going to win 10 games this year like some of you believe, its going to have to have the lead,be tied or trail by less than 7 every time going into the 3rd and 4th quarters or a loss will be the case.

Come on now. A statement like that just eliminates any chance of intelligent discussion.

I haven't read the whole thread, but as of right now, I can agree with the title for the most part.
It is hopefully a work in progress, though. Running the football doesn't take a seasoned qb, so much as it takes a tough o-line with the talent & desire to move the chains.
Stopping other teams, and not getting steam rolled by a college offensive formation has nothing to do with the qb either, except for the fact that too many unsustained drives gets your tired defense back on the field too soon.

I still think 10-6, maybe 11-5 is there for the taking, but it's hard to ignore that:
a. Acknowledging the shocking loss of TfB, the Pats still only squeaked by the worst team in the AFC.
b. Barely put away the NFL equivalent of the Keystone Cops.
c. Got blown out by a team who just last year, seemingly traded off anyone worth a darn, and won only 1 game.

As impressive as our offense was last year, if you compare personnel with some of the better offenses early this year, we don't look that hot.
a. Moss can stretch the field, but isn't well suited to the short, controlled passing stuff Cassel needs.

b. Wes Welker is one of the top slot guys out, so we got most teams here.

c. Gaffney is solid, but not physically imposing by any means.

d. Our TEs can't seem to stay healthy, and aside from Watson aren't all that great.

e. O-line is banged up and not big enough to push teams around.

f. RB by committee. We've got lots of depth, but they're only as good as the 5 in front of them.

When you compare that to the teams who look to contend this year, our offense as it sits needs to evolve.

Good post. We disagree on the aside for Watson but not enough to quibble. I would rather see him in the pattern than covering Kaczur's behind. The evolution has to be structured around Cassel. Mollifying Moss can't even be a concern or they may as well fold. There are too many other talented football players on this team to not be at competitive operating within a battle tested system. The problem is for all of them the opportunity to compete starts and ends in the trenches at the LOS. It's all well and good to point out the "three pro bowl talents" we line up on paper, but if we can't block consistently with 5 or get pressure on QB's with 4 it won't matter who else we trot out on that field Sunday's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots