PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One Question on last night's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not looking for an argument here. I am just pointing out that Bill has "Mailed It In" when it comes to his coaching decisions.
To state it as fact is ridiculous.

I would have kicked. That said, it's reasonable to think that a FG would likely be negated by a FG the other way with time on the clock and Ginn returning the kickoff.

4th and 1 on the road; in field goal position, with the lead, you take the points. It is Football 101. I cannot see where Bill could rationally explain his decision.

I am not looking for an argument here. I am just pointing out that Bill has "Mailed It In" when it comes to his coaching decisions.

Right, and when has BB not gone for it on 4th and one in the red zone?
The only problem I had going for it was the handoff.

Bill went for it on 4th and 1 for the same reason he went for the 4th and 2 against Indy. His "Heart" is no longer in the game. Ever get half way through a round of golf and not care about your score? What happens to your game? This is what Bill is doing.
First off, Belichick does not come across to me as the type of person who would continue to do something if his heart was not in it. For example, he's not the type of person that lives for the bright lights and publicity.

Second, if indeed his heart was not in it, wouldn't it make more sense that his decisions would be more conservative, more 'by the book'? If his heart wasn't in it, he wouldn't put much thought into his decisions - in other words he would be going through the motions and make the easy choice (e.g., simply kick on 4th down.)

4th and 1 on the road; in field goal position, with the lead, you take the points. It is Football 101. I cannot see where Bill could rationally explain his decision.

Do we really have to go through this on every FAILED 4th down attempt? Bill looked at the "get the first down and possibly score a TD/leave them backed up in their own end with 2 minutes left" coupling as superior to the kick a FG option. Just look what happened. If the Dolphins had started on their own 30 with 2 minutes left instead of their own 5, they might have scored a TD and we'd be in an even worse place even though we kicked the FG (17-14; 1 worse than 14-10). I mean, these decisions are completely defensible. You know who follows "Football 101" - Herm Edwards, Tony Dungy, Dave Wannstedt and every other conservative coach incapable of an original thought. You can have those guys if you want them. I'll take BB every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft