PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On to Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are obviously the superior team, but this game makes me nervous for a few reasons and we should keep these in mind...

1) The Bills looked decent today, albeit against the Colts. However, Rex knows Beli/Brady well and knows how to game plan for them specifically.

2) The Bills defensive line against our offensive line is a potential huge mismatch, and we all know an interior pass rush / effective interior blitzing is the way to make Brady uncomfortable and beat him.

3) The Bills do have some offensive weapons, and despite their glaring weakness at QB, I would say that recent history dictates that the patriots have difficulty with untested quarterbacks without a whole lot of film existing on them. This is especially true with our secondary.

4) I don't care how much we own Buffalo. When we play in Buffalo, the game is always a mess. Physical, dirty, sloppy, for some reason closer than the score if not actually close. Scores like 9-6, 13-10, etc. I feel like we always come out with a bunch of injuries.

So all in all, a win should be expected, but I would not be surprised or heartbroken if we leave Buffalo with a loss, but no injuries...

What he doesn't know is how to defend TB with a game slowed down for him Gronk and Edelman. Throw Chandler in there...we shall see.

1: Their defense will be tough but they can be run upon ... Colts had that but kept going back to Luck.

2: Tyrod is going to be seeing one thing and witnessing the other ... Belichick so cruel on the noob QB's.

3. We can win ... game will be close ... Brady must be patient and he knows this.

4: Will be a good game for the short passes ... Brady excels in that area.

A line that had Kline and Devey on it held up against that DL last year in Buffalo.
Don't underestimate the impact of Rex and the new additions to that team. While they still stink at QB, that's a talented roster their facing next week and a coach who will throw everything at the Patriots.

The Bills defensive line against our offensive line is a potential huge mismatch, and we all know an interior pass rush / effective interior blitzing is the way to make Brady uncomfortable and beat him.

I heard this last year before the Buffalo game and Brady's line was 73% (27 or 37) 361 yards 4 TD.

Furthermore in a span of 4 days last year Brady against the bills DL and Rex Ryan's D and the jets DL with a shaky OL

47 of 74 (63%)
622 Yards
7 TD
0 INT
121.5 QB Rating.

Bills did look good today. I expect tomorrow the two douches to dismiss them as serious contenders in order marginalize the Pats if they win or be able to say that they suck if they lose....not that I'm going to watch listen to them(swore them of 7 months ago)

I heard this last year before the Buffalo game and Brady's line was 73% (27 or 37) 361 yards 4 TD.

Furthermore in a span of 4 days last year Brady against the bills DL and Rex Ryan's D and the jets DL with a shaky OL

47 of 74 (63%)
622 Yards
7 TD
0 INT
121.5 QB Rating.

I believe the lions were in there somewhere too and Brady shredded them, so I see your point.

The 2 or 3 TE offense will help protection a lot, between that and getting the ball out quickly we'll be fine. This would be a good time to play 5 OL, Edelman, 2 TE (one to each side), with Lewis and White split. Throw to TE or RB on the side that's left open from the blitz. That's also plenty of receivers when they fake it and just rush 3.

On D it will be a "keep the ball in front of you, tackle well game". Make them execute 10 plays to get into the red zone. Very little blitzing that could create open spaces for McCoy, Harvin, Watkins.

I will just talk about a few key match ups.

Our D vs their O. The key here is simple. Avoid chunk plays. They can and will have a few good runs but I don't think McCoy is 100% and i doubt they will be able to put together 15 play drives to score.

Harvin looks really good and though a head case showed his talent today with a 50 yard play. In my mind he is the guy you need to stop the most cause he has the ability more than even Watkins to have a game changing play and suddenly make this game interesting.

Watkins was held catchless today but that will not happen again. Also you need to stop Taylor from getting big chunk plays. This game is a case of GTFB and keep Taylor contained and make them have a long drive.

Our O vs their D. I wish this was just a case of contain the pass rush but it is not. This D is legit good at all levels. Obviously it starts with get the ball out fast generally PARTICULARLY early to lessen the impact of that front 4. Brady needs to make sure the calls are clear (it will be loud and make sure his RB knows where Darues is if he is staying back). Assuming this is accomplished now you need to deal with one of the more talented back fields in the NFL.

Nothing to say about Gilmore that needs to be said again. Darby has already won a starting role and got a pick on Luck this game. He is someone who Brady can try to pick on but he needs to respect his physical ability. In the end though they can't match up with Edelman or Gronk well if Brady has any sort of time but this game it is almost more important to not make mistakes then try to make those big plays as that is another way they will look to score. If you don't give them short fields or big plays they will have a hard time getting to 20 on you.

This will be a trial by fire for our O-line.

And on defense, I hope our front 7 lives up to our high expectations.

Let me guess…

The Bills are going to stop Gronk by double teaming him, and jamming him at the line.

/yawn

Remember..when Pats have extra time to prepared for a opponent...aka bye week or Thurs going into Sun..they are usually always prepared

The Bills looked good on both sides of the ball. We knew all along that they were pretty good last year, and got better during the offseason. So what?

Getting Blount back to pair with Dion Lewis will be big.

The Bills will be a better measuring stick than the Steelers, but still have Rex to screw things up in the second half, and a roster full of knuckleheads who make big mistakes when the pressure is on. I like the Pats in a close one 24-21

I expect Gronk to kill them. But I also expect Brady to get tossed around out there... it's gonna be tough. I hope the O-line doesn't completely fold

Most concerned about our OL's communication against such blitz happy/confusing defense.
This is all I'm worried about. Our defense is vastly better than the Colts', so nothing I saw them do offensively scares me. Contain McCoy as much as you can and keep Watkins from burning you deep. The TE's will get some touches because TE's usually do against NE. Their TE aint half bad either. Bill respects him.

Defensively is where I get worried. Our O-Line in the middle is a bit soft. I'm hoping Wendell can go just because of his experience, as he's not really an upgrade in the strength department. But I guess more important than just brute strength is communication. This is another reason I hope Wendell can go. Ryan had guys standing up and moving all around today, and I'm sure the game plan will be similar. They got very good push up the middle especially on their blitzes. That's a big concern. Their corners are also big and physical. I am sure they will be in press coverage most of the game. Gronk is the great equalizer . . . advantage: Patriots. Still, it's going to be a tall order.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I did not want Rex in the division. He has better personnel now than he did the past two seasons, and he still gave Brady trouble. I don't know how the teams stack up because it's so early, but I have to think this game will be more competitive late into the game than Thursday night.

what ref crew is working this? If it's Boger, that's a Goodell fix..if its Triplette, the Pats will have double the penalties at least.

Even up with fair refereeing this is a tough game for NE. Buffalo can run it down the Pats throats just like Pitt did. Ryan will hype his players through the roof like this is the Super Bowl. Good. It's the 2nd game of the season. What we want is to finish strong like we always do. This game will give the Pats staff a pretty clear picture of what needs work going forward. I expect Buffalo to win by 4.

If Boger's crew is reffing this game, bet the house on the Bills. It's a fix.

I didn't even think about Harvin in my original post. My follies. That guy is good when he's focused and um, not injured. I seem to forget how we fared against him in prior games.

I think we are obviously the superior team, but this game makes me nervous for a few reasons and we should keep these in mind...

1) The Bills looked decent today, albeit against the Colts. However, Rex knows Beli/Brady well and knows how to game plan for them specifically.

2) The Bills defensive line against our offensive line is a potential huge mismatch, and we all know an interior pass rush / effective interior blitzing is the way to make Brady uncomfortable and beat him.

3) The Bills do have some offensive weapons, and despite their glaring weakness at QB, I would say that recent history dictates that the patriots have difficulty with untested quarterbacks without a whole lot of film existing on them. This is especially true with our secondary.

4) I don't care how much we own Buffalo. When we play in Buffalo, the game is always a mess. Physical, dirty, sloppy, for some reason closer than the score if not actually close. Scores like 9-6, 13-10, etc. I feel like we always come out with a bunch of injuries.

So all in all, a win should be expected, but I would not be surprised or heartbroken if we leave Buffalo with a loss, but no injuries...

Rex Ryan was 4-8 vs. New England.

1-7 since 2010.

Your point #3 is spot on. However, get ready for the "HOW WILL THE ROOKIE QB PLAY AGAINST BELICHICK DEFENSE ZOMG HEADSETS" stuff.

Buffalo will move the ball between the 20s, Tyrod Taylor will screw up royally at least once in the red zone. This isn't Indy's "parting of the Red Sea" defense.

Don't underestimate the impact of Rex and the new additions to that team. While they still stink at QB, that's a talented roster their facing next week and a coach who will throw everything at the Patriots.
It's also a Rex Ryan coached team. It's not like the Patriots haven't seen this rodeo before.

what ref crew is working this? If it's Boger, that's a Goodell fix..if its Triplette, the Pats will have double the penalties at least.

Even up with fair refereeing this is a tough game for NE. Buffalo can run it down the Pats throats just like Pitt did. Ryan will hype his players through the roof like this is the Super Bowl. Good. It's the 2nd game of the season. What we want is to finish strong like we always do. This game will give the Pats staff a pretty clear picture of what needs work going forward. I expect Buffalo to win by 4.

If Boger's crew is reffing this game, bet the house on the Bills. It's a fix.

The referees are union and hate the NFL for what has been done to them over the years.

There's no such thing as a referee fix by the league, nor would they take edicts like that from the league, especially after they were left out to dry for the deflated footballs thing.

You're right though, the only thing Rex loves more than a Week 1 Super Bowl, is a Week 2 Super Bowl.

Our LB's will be busy next week. I think we may see quite a bit of the 3-4 next week. Mayo will get way more snaps than eight, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back