PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh-Oh Peyton may not have broken the passing record after all

There actually is a precedent for something like this.

In 2002 at Buffalo, during the week well after the game was over they changed a Kevin Faulk TD from a 45 yard TD reception to a 45 yard rush TD because it was re-assessed to be a lateral and not a forward pass.

The NFL already said that one of his TDs last week should not have been a TD. They didn't take it away. So they are not going to take away his record now.

Entirely different because on that TD they blew a call. After the next play was run it became official.

Fixing this mistake would only give the receiver rushing yards and a rushing attempt instead of receiving yards. This is entirely possible to do as it would not retroactively effect the score of the game.

Remember that Gronk's td they turned into a rushing TD was also the NFL record at the time. It wouldn't be the first time they reversed a record. They have also awarded and removed half sacks from stat sheets on numerous occasions.

The NFL already said that one of his TDs last week should not have been a TD. They didn't take it away. So they are not going to take away his record now.

Agreed. 0% chance the league does anything with this.

The NFL said that or Wade Phillips said it?

The NFL officials said it. The difference is that it should have been an incomplete pass, which was a blown call. These 2 situations are 100% different. One becomes official and unchangeable once a play is run after it, the other has been retroactively adjusted hundreds of times in league history in changing receptions to runs and adding or removing half sacks.

You can't change the score of a game after its over. Try understanding the situation.

When they kicked the xp it became official. Changing the forward pass correctly to a lateral only changes the type of yardage gained, not the total yardage or score.

ENTIRELY different situation.

You can't change the score of a game after its over. Try understanding the situation.

When they kicked the xp it became official. Changing the forward pass correctly to a lateral only changes the type of yardage gained, not the total yardage or score.

ENTIRELY different situation.

Did I mention anything about taking away a TD? Let's review:

Not seeing it.

Did Rob0729's post mention two different topics? Yes (I marked them to help you out).

(1)The NFL already said that one of his TDs last week should not have been a TD. They didn't take it away. (2) So they are not going to take away his record now.

100% chance that I was responding to the one that is the topic of this thread.

There actually is a precedent for something like this.

In 2002 at Buffalo, during the week well after the game was over they changed a Kevin Faulk TD from a 45 yard TD reception to a 45 yard rush TD because it was re-assessed to be a lateral and not a forward pass.

Scoring changes like that do happen pretty regularly without anybody noticing it. I seem to be alone in this, but I think there's a very good chance the league changes this one, too.

What is even more bothersome to me is the fact the Manning has three guys that can take a five yard pass to the house.

Brady doesn't even have one.

I don't like the Pats chances of going into Denver unless it's cold and windy.

Brady just doesn't have the ammo to match up.

What is even more bothersome to me is the fact the Manning has three guys that can take a five yard pass to the house.

Brady doesn't even have one.

I don't like the Pats chances of going into Denver unless it's cold and windy.

Brady just doesn't have the ammo to match up.

Welp, you don't have to worry about that because Denver is going to lose their first playoff game.

Welp, you don't have to worry about that because Denver is going to lose their first playoff game.

I hope you are right. Nothing would make me happier!

As soon as I'm crowned the King of England.

Peyton Manning's single-season yardage record could be taken back by NFL | Audibles - SI.com

So will the NFL show some serious sack and rescind the Manning worship?

I'm betting no.

True, true but just to be safe Archie has already setup interviews with 20/20, Dateline, ESPN, 48 Hours, Primetime, 60 Minutes and NFL Network. The crusade will begin immediately and Peyton is prepared to hold out of the playoffs if they don’t give him his god damn 2 yards back.

:enranged:Hell hath no fury like a Manning scorned from a NFL regular season record.

they took a TD away from brady didnt they?

they took a TD away from brady didnt they?

In 2011 they took one from Brady on what was ruled a lateral pass to Gronkowski.

Gronkowski has 13 touchdown catches, tying San Diego's Antonio Gates in 2004 and San Francisco's Vernon Davis in 2009 for most by a tight end in a regular season. He originally was given another touchdown catch, but that was changed to a lateral on which he ran 2 yards for the 31-3 lead.
Thinking he had set the record, Gronkowski held onto the ball as a souvenir instead of spiking it as he usually does. He even accepted congratulations from his teammates.
"I wasn't thinking about whether it was a pass or a lateral," Gronkowski said. "I'll take the rushing touchdown. It's the first of my whole career.

Gronkowski leads Patriots over Colts ? USATODAY.com

Unlike Manning however Gronkowski wasn’t chasing stats and did come out of the game after he got what he thought was a record so Gronkowski ended up breaking the record easily in his next game.

Lesson to be learned. If you are going for the record, then make sure you break it by more than 1 yard.

If you don't care, then it doesn't matter what happens (and I bet this will be Mannings public response). Privately <insert manning-face picture>

In 2011 they took one from Brady on what was ruled a lateral pass to Gronkowski.

Gronkowski leads Patriots over Colts ? USATODAY.com

Unlike Manning however Gronkowski wasn’t chasing stats and did come out of the game after he got what he thought was a record so Gronkowski ended up breaking the record easily in his next game.

In this case, so did Manning. He got that last yard on a touchdown pass with a couple seconds left in the first half, and the backup QB played the entire second half.

Regardless, this record, more than the TD record has a greater chance of being broken as soon as next year. 55 TDs passing is a LOT, and even with this turning into a passing league, I'm not so sure that one won't stand for a decade or so unless the league switches to 18 games. 5,500 yards though? You don't need to score to rack up the passing yardage, and we see guys like Matt Stafford throwing 400+ a game for stretches of time. My money would be on the passing yardage record, whatever it truly winds up being (and if it's conclusively a lateral, there's no reason not to change it just because they thought it would be a record), will fall within 3 years.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back