PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officiating

Yes, perception is not reality
I think it's fair to say that stars in any sport are going to get calls. And I think it's fair to say that Tom got calls and Mahomes is getting calls. Same with LeBron. Same with great pitchers in baseball. Close calls are going to go to those guys. Also some coaches. Bill and Andy are going to command more respect from officials than a brand new guy. Some human nature kicks in occasionally I think.

The perceived Brady Rule is that you can't touch Tom Brady. I said it was a perception. And if you do, he looks around until someone throws a flag. He's protected by the league. And he should be. The league needed him to be in the game.
Look up the number of roughing penalties he draws. It seems he's in the middle of the pack, not anywhere near the top. Apparently you have the same perception

This missive from Borges is the epitome of "WRONGNESS". I mean HOF worthy, if its the HOF of being wrong in a sports article. Think about it. in just TEN lines he makes 8 comments and was wrong on ALL eight. I guess the best thing you can say about it, is that he was efficient. "Wrong Borges" was a apt nickname that was honestly earned.

Wrong, LOVED Parcells because Parcells was a good ole boy with the reporters and a quote machine who made their jobs easier. When Bellichick changed the media culture that love turned to hate. Borges was the last link to the Boston Sports writers who I grew up with, like Cliff Keane. and Larry Claflin Guys who thought THEY were the story and crossing them meant WAR! Those guys were famous for NEVER writing a good word about Ted Williams back in the day because of a feud. They come from an era in Boston where the 2 most popular sports were Politics and Revenge and EVERYTHING was personal. Borges was the last vestige of that era.

He was a competent writer and really good boxing guy, but he ended his career as a Patriot beat reporter who had zero sources and no impact. (kind of like Ben Volin today ;) ) He ended up being a cranky old man trying to piss into the wind, and yelling at the horizon when he looks down and finds his pants are wet.
All true, although technically, he ended his career as a plagiarist.

Look up the number of roughing penalties he draws. It seems he's in the middle of the pack, not anywhere near the top. Apparently you have the same perception
I already said I think he got some calls. Penalties against doesn't tell the entire story. Nobody in the history of the game has been better about getting rid of the ball quickly and he has had some really great O Lines. His sack rate is also really good. But there have been instances where I think he got a call because of who he is. And I admit that Mahomes gets and will get that treatment.

This missive from Borges is the epitome of "WRONGNESS". I mean HOF worthy, if its the HOF of being wrong in a sports article. Think about it. in just TEN lines he makes 8 comments and was wrong on ALL eight. I guess the best thing you can say about it, is that he was efficient. "Wrong Borges" was a apt nickname that was honestly earned.

Wrong, LOVED Parcells because Parcells was a good ole boy with the reporters and a quote machine who made their jobs easier. When Bellichick changed the media culture that love turned to hate. Borges was the last link to the Boston Sports writers who I grew up with, like Cliff Keane. and Larry Claflin Guys who thought THEY were the story and crossing them meant WAR! Those guys were famous for NEVER writing a good word about Ted Williams back in the day because of a feud. They come from an era in Boston where the 2 most popular sports were Politics and Revenge and EVERYTHING was personal. Borges was the last vestige of that era.

He was a competent writer and really good boxing guy, but he ended his career as a Patriot beat reporter who had zero sources and no impact. (kind of like Ben Volin today ;) ) He ended up being a cranky old man trying to piss into the wind, and yelling at the horizon when he looks down and finds his pants are wet.
Remember the Touchdown Twins? Those guys faded after BB came aboard.

Unfortunately, Borges still has a key role today: He's the person who makes the argument for Patriots players during the HOF selection meetings.

But how about Ira Miller and Vito Stellino (wow what a great name)? They were actually pretty close.

What makes it more odd is that if you look at anything Stellino has written/tweeted about the Patriots over the past 15-20 years, it's overwhelmingly negative. He buys into every cheating/conspiracy theory story that's out there.

Fascinating, thanks. He really is a good writer.

Every year, the surviving old fogies of Boston media get together for a golf game and reminisce about the Patriots' false laughingstock narrative which they created.

Most stories which are colorful, entertaining and in fact endearing are instead reported as despicable, when in fact it's the media themselves who are nefarious.

Totally common.
Many lawyers take their oath and responsibility to the court seriously. I don't know a single lawyer who would willing lie and mislead the court. Some trash lawyers do, but not a single lawyer I know would.

When is the NFL going to investigate themselves?

Never...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back