PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Wk3 Pre-Season Game Day Thread @Panthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
is anyone else up listening to this broadcast on NFLN? It's unbelievably ridiculous in its slant toward all things Panther. These two guys seem to be broadcasting from inside Ron Rivera's colon for krissakes.

It's the Panthers broadcast. What do you expect?

yeah, it dawned on me when they brought in Kevin Greene to spread some ridiculous bullshyt about what a great owner that racist cracka down there is.

Hate to have to ask this, but how did Ghost's FG look? Right down the center I hope.

1st Quarter 11:21 NE, 4th & 4 @ CAR 12, 30-yard attempt, wide right

1st Quarter 0:27 NE, 4th & 5 @ CAR 7, 25-yard attempt, good

2nd Quarter 7:07 NE, 4th & 5 @ CAR 34, 52-yard attempt, wide left

4th Quarter 5:30 NE, 4th & 3 @ CAR 12, 30-yard attempt, good

I think we have the 2 best punt returners in the league in Edelman+Jones.

Amendola is a pretty damn good pr to. Boy are we stacked there which helps cuz id love if we can avoid having je returning kicks.

and your man card

I know. How did it come to this? This definitely wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to stay in my mid-20's forever and slaying at the bars then calling them a cab/Uber the next morning. I was supposed to be killing on Tinder the rest of my life and Saturdays were supposed to forever be spent day drinking myself into a stupor before I fell into something fun at night. Today she wants to go to Hobby Lobby to get that out of the way before college ball kicks off next weekend. What the HELL happened!?

I know. How did it come to this? This definitely wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to stay in my mid-20's forever and slaying at the bars then calling them a cab/Uber the next morning. I was supposed to be killing on Tinder the rest of my life and Saturdays were supposed to forever be spent day drinking myself into a stupor before I fell into something fun at night. Today she wants to go to Hobby Lobby to get that out of the way before college ball kicks off next weekend. What the HELL happened!?

I got married recently so I lost my man card along time ago, I just like to see other great men fall so that I know I'm not alone

I got married recently so I lost my man card along time ago, I just like to see other great men fall so that I know I'm not alone

The play actually wasn't bad last night, though. :(

By the way, I'm very proud of a lot of you. Thank you for sufficiently roasting me in this thread. I would have been highly disappointed if you didn't.

Secondary looks awesome....pass rush still weak and our lack of run defense scares me so far this preseason ....special teams is lacking and needs to tighten up.....and James White looks shaky right now....no matter how much BB says he has improved in the running game!!!!

Not sure what game you were watching but the Pass Rush wasn't weak. Cam Newton isn't a pocket QB. You have to play contain on him.

The "run defense" gave up a single 23 yard gain to Stewart. And that was the fault of Freeny who was out of position. Collins was not in for that play and it was a run away from Hightower. Long may have also been out of position as he seemed to be lined up too far wide, but that's hard to say not knowing the specific call.

The only bad thing on special teams last night was Gost missing the 2 field goals. Beyond that, they held Ginn, one of the better punt returners, to a whopping 4 yards on 2 punts.. The only kick return was for 22 yards and it was on the initial kick-off. That is improvement over the previous 2 games..

Olsen is absolutely outstanding. Benjamin is ehhh.... Funchess sucks. Ginn sucks. Stewart sucks.

It's funny how a vet poster says that very good players on other teams suck.
Stewart is a 1000 yard rusher who has injury issues..
Ginn put up 10 TDs last year. Most of his career. Also put up 16.8YPC. Again, most of his career. He's above average. He's definitely not Bethel Johnson or Chad Jackson.

Funchess was a rookie last year and is only 22. So he's still maturing as a player. It's unfair to say he sucks yet.

Leblanc on Funchess? Why?

He has 8 inches on him right?

LeBlanc - 5'9 7/8
Funchess - 6'4 3/8

6.5 in. difference. But definitely a mis-match

Develin has laid some nice blocks tonight. Wish I could say the same for Derby.

Blocking was never Derby's strong suit.. Was more of a pass catcher despite having short arms, which also takes away from his blocking. He's a project at TE, having only played there 1 year in College.

Not sure what game you were watching but the Pass Rush wasn't weak. Cam Newton isn't a pocket QB. You have to play contain on him.

Seriously. Most other QBs Pats would have had 5-6 sacks last night. I mean I counted at least 4 times Netwon escaped a sack.

Collins up the middle that forced him to run, a less mobile QB would have been eaten up by Collins
Long beat his guy and Newton saw him coming and took off
Can't remember who it was (A. Johnson or Kuhn, I think) but it was pressure from the middle and it caused Newton to run left and throw it incomplete
Grissom had him dead to rights, got an arm on him and Newton slipped away.

Also definitely sure there were a few other times too just can't remember them specifically.

Last edited:
Jones' one problem will be that he's a slot corner only. Cyrus and Coleman can both play there. Roberts/LeBlanc give us outside corner depth.

Jonathan Jones is a slot corner only???? First I heard this.. He played very well outside in the 1st two games..

Jonathan Jones is a slot corner only???? First I heard this.. He played very well outside in the 1st two games..
How many good 5'9 outside CBs are there in the NFL?

How many good 5'9 outside CBs are there in the NFL?

Jones looks like he could play both.. Which would be a good thing. Saying that he's only a slot corner because of his size is silly.. That's like saying Edelman is only a slot receiver.

My takes on the game:

Chris Long lined up in the neutral zone a few times and got away with it.. It's unlikely to happen in the regular season. Long also gave up containment a couple times. Over-all, though, he played well.

Geneo Grissom and Rufus Johnson are on the outside looking in.
I think that Bolden and White could both be on the outside looking in. Neither helped themselves with their poor blocking in the game.
Vellano and Kuhn are likely goners. Hamilton may end up on the practice squad.
I think that Coleman is headed for the Pats practice squad, if eligible. I believe he's behind C. Jones, J. Jones and LeBlanc.
Derby came back down to earth. He showed that he's still really new to the TE position. His blocking needs a lot of work. And that might be what gets him to the practice squad.

Just saw that the Pats gave Freeny a 2 year extension. Must have had the deal done before last night's game. Freeny tackled more Pats players than Panther players.

Karras looks decent, over-all, for a rookie. He caught the Ealy stunt late and with pressure already coming from the backside because of Solder getting beat, Garoppolo was toast.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fleming cut. He just doesn't bring enough as a blocker.

Vincent Valentine really showed up last night. He kept his motor going on pretty much every snap.
I liked what I saw from Elandon Roberts. It may not get him a roster spot, but we should see him on the PS.

Interesting observations, DaBruinz. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts.

There's obviously a fine line between freelancing and getting out of position and being instinctive and having a nose for the ball. You could argue it even for Chris Long's hands-up tip that gave McCourty the interception. It would be more than interesting to listen to BB discussing Long's play with him afterwards!

You seem a bit hard on Derby to me. Sure, he dropped a pass to kill a drive, but he still made a great catch later to keep a drive alive -- as he has been doing all pre-season.

Interesting observations, DaBruinz. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts.

There's obviously a fine line between freelancing and getting out of position and being instinctive and having a nose for the ball. You could argue it even for Chris Long's hands-up tip that gave McCourty the interception. It would be more than interesting to listen to BB discussing Long's play with him afterwards!

You seem a bit hard on Derby to me. Sure, he dropped a pass to kill a drive, but he still made a great catch later to keep a drive alive -- as he has been doing all pre-season.

How do you feel I was hard on Derby? It's a fact that he's only got 1 year playing the position in college and his played, overall, showed last night. If the Pats cut him, I think they'll get him onto the PS for that reason. But I'm not sure the Pats cut him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye