PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Wk3 Pre-Season Game Day Thread @Panthers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel I was hard on Derby? It's a fact that he's only got 1 year playing the position in college and his played, overall, showed last night. If the Pats cut him, I think they'll get him onto the PS for that reason. But I'm not sure the Pats cut him.

I can't speak to his blocking, and I agree that 1 catch on 3 targets isn't great. But that was another excellent catch for 20 yards and a 1st down. And, Hogan excepted, none of the Patriots receivers put up great stats last night (Edelman 1 catch for 6 yards on 3 targets, Bennet 0 catches, 4 targets -- you'd think he was the second coming of Scott Chandler on those figures). So maybe Derby didn't look like Superman, but he still made a very good play when necessary.

Just saw that the Pats gave Freeny a 2 year extension. Must have had the deal done before last night's game. Freeny tackled more Pats players than Panther players.

Interesting observations, DaBruinz. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts.

There's obviously a fine line between freelancing and getting out of position and being instinctive and having a nose for the ball. You could argue it even for Chris Long's hands-up tip that gave McCourty the interception. It would be more than interesting to listen to BB discussing Long's play with him afterwards!

You seem a bit hard on Derby to me. Sure, he dropped a pass to kill a drive, but he still made a great catch later to keep a drive alive -- as he has been doing all pre-season.

Leave it to an Englishman to defend the Derby.

:rolleyes:

Interesting observations, DaBruinz. Thanks.

A couple of thoughts.

There's obviously a fine line between freelancing and getting out of position and being instinctive and having a nose for the ball. You could argue it even for Chris Long's hands-up tip that gave McCourty the interception. It would be more than interesting to listen to BB discussing Long's play with him afterwards!

You seem a bit hard on Derby to me. Sure, he dropped a pass to kill a drive, but he still made a great catch later to keep a drive alive -- as he has been doing all pre-season.
Speaking of mccourtys int the real assist goes to Collins. Newton want to throw to the back out in the flat and Collins had him in his sights and would have killed him.
Newton saw it an lazily look back toward the middle and flung it.

Seriously. Most other QBs Pats would have had 5-6 sacks last night. I mean I counted at least 4 times Netwon escaped a sack.

Collins up the middle that forced him to run, a less mobile QB would have been eaten up by Collins

Long beat his guy and Newton saw him coming and took off

Can't remember who it was (A. Johnson or Kuhn, I think) but it was pressure from the middle and it caused Newton to run left and throw it incomplete

Grissom had him dead to rights, got an arm on him and Newton slipped away.

Also definitely sure there were a few other times too just can't remember them specifically.

newton escaping kuhn and rufus johnson:

Some Vincent Valentine pr0n

Amazing how a guy so young could be part of the reason Pot Roast gets shown the door. I don't think he'll be taking Branch's spot or anything, but he and Malcolm Brown AND Anthony Johnson could be a lethal DL rotation as early as next year. Valentine is a beast and his progression for the last 3 weeks has been cool to watch.

Amazing how a guy so young could be part of the reason Pot Roast gets shown the door. I don't think he'll be taking Branch's spot or anything, but he and Malcolm Brown AND Anthony Johnson could be a lethal DL rotation as early as next year. Valentine is a beast and his progression for the last 3 weeks has been cool to watch.

If you had Anthony Johnson and Vincent Valentine over Easley and Knighton back in May you'd have been laughed off the forum but that appears what is gonna happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft