PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Packers-Pats POSTGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be arrogant - but I laughed. I do not understand the "rough, tough, gruff, large man" football sports announcer thing here in NE (Gresh, Smerlas, DeOssie) - I would much prefer insight - those guys say things anyone could make up. Reiss is usually very good, but having Wilfork as one of the "3 Down" is ridiculous.

I have received an education listening to Smerlas's political insights.

ap-53ce8e839d1543ccb154e61053ed8185.jpg

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews looks a the New England Patriots cheerleaders dressed as Santa's during the second quarter of a NFL football game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium

This picture is classic. Wonder what he was thinking out there..?

Unless he's gay, then I have a pretty good idea what he was thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vugRSpFb6dg&feature=related

Looks like he had a little bit of Captain in him!

Last edited:
The way I see it, I like Brace as a run stuffing DE with Ty Warren coming back next year. The pick on the DE might be able to wait (especially with the possibility that Deaderick could improve as well). I like the picks at guard (specifically RG) and OLB in the first round. At RB, I wouldn't mind us exploring free agency or even using one of the second round picks. Same with WR (who we seem to agree should be explored in the second round).

I don't believe that there is a guard prospect worthy of a 1st round pick in this draft...

As for WR, Welker, Branch, Edelman, Price, Tate. I don't see the Pats looking at WR until 2012. By then, they'll know what they have in Price and Tate.

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

-C

It would seem that the cheese you've been wearing on your head has gotten to your brain... Bulaga had TBC's face mask in a full grip. That's a penalty. You claiming it was "slight contact" is BS.

You're smoking crack if you believe the penalty on McCourty was legit. He led with his arm and shoulder. He hit Quarless in the chest. McCourty also did not leave his feet. Quarless was NOT defenseless. Clearly you don't understand what defenseless means.... The Contact was incidental.

And no, I wouldn't be calling for a penalty and fine on Revis if he made that play.. Nor would most people.

I don't believe that there is a guard prospect worthy of a 1st round pick in this draft...

As for WR, Welker, Branch, Edelman, Price, Tate. I don't see the Pats looking at WR until 2012. By then, they'll know what they have in Price and Tate.

Welker is the best on the team and one of the best in the league. After that, you have a guy who has routinely been banged up since coming into the league, another guy who has the same problem and has really disappeared this season, a guy that can't even get on the field due to poor route running and hands (albeit this is his rookie year, so I'm willing to wait a bit on Price), and a burner who has had trouble getting separation because, apparently, his route running is not up to snuff. That said, I could easily see a move made for a WR in the draft.

As for a guard prospect, I like Pouncey myself.

Last edited:
I believe Tremon Williams was on Welker the whole game. He's been shutting guys down like that all season. He's definitely underrated, so vote him to the pro-bowl, because he deserves it.

Williams was not on Welker the whole game. In fact, Woodson was covering Welker for a good portion of it.

Welker is the best on the team and one of the best in the league. After that, you have a guy who has routinely been banged up since coming into the league, another guy who has the same problem and has really disappeared this season, a guy that can't even get on the field due to poor route running and hands (albeit this is his rookie year, so I'm willing to wait a bit on Price), and a burner who has had trouble getting separation because, apparently, his route running is not up to snuff. That said, I could easily see a move made for a WR in the draft.

As for a guard prospect, I like Pouncey myself.

How do you know it is poor route running and hands for Price?

Tate was never thought of as a burner in the mold of Mike Wallace or Randy Moss. How do you know it's his route running that isn't allowing him to get separation and not just good play by the opposing DB?

Again, with 5 WRs on the team (not including Jenkins) plus 3 TEs, I just can't see the Pats adding a WR before 2012.

Pouncy isn't a 1st round prospect. He's a late second-early 3rd and that is before any junior prospects declare.

I can't believe Reiss listed Wilfork as a down from last night's game.

To my eyes, he played one of his best games of the season. I don't even begrudge him for the facemask call as he was clearly being held on the play.

How do you know it is poor route running and hands for Price?

Those were his struggles in the preseason. They were well documented. With that said, though, that was expected to happen because he came from a completely different, run first offense in college.

Tate was never thought of as a burner in the mold of Mike Wallace or Randy Moss. How do you know it's his route running that isn't allowing him to get separation and not just good play by the opposing DB?

If Tate's lack of production and lack of looks from Brady this season are the result of good play from opposing DB's, then every one of the DB's that Tate played against should automatically be in the Pro Bowl as they are shut down CB's. With Tate, it's either he's not fast enough to gain separation (which I doubt) or his route running is suspect.

Again, with 5 WRs on the team (not including Jenkins) plus 3 TEs, I just can't see the Pats adding a WR before 2012.

We could add a WR as an insurance policy or as an early prospect with plans to become a contributor in this offense in mind. Either way, a relative need for a WR is there.

Pouncy isn't a 1st round prospect. He's a late second-early 3rd and that is before any junior prospects declare.

I hear you on that. I have Pouncey as a first round prospect and I'm sure there will be quite a few pundits that change their minds on him when the draft comes around. Guy's a horrible center but has been nothing short of a stud when it comes to playing guard for the Gators.

Kontra -
With 5 WR and 3TE, that is eight roster spots. That doesn't include Jenkins or Shun White (Navy - Reserve/Military). I just don't see the Pats adding a WR in the draft until 2012. By then, they'll know if Tate/Price/Edelman aren't working out.

You know other fans are Nervous now

Because the win was not
Impressive enough. I especially love the Jets fans who think their legit again beating a depleted Steeler team without polamalu and miller. 13 points is what their offense put up. Pats put up 24 on the #1 scoring d. Apparently unless the pats smoke everyone, everyone thinks they can beat them. To you Jets fans...your not closing a 6 td difference and you dont have the pass rush to stop then Pats. Just a fact.

Re: You know other fans are Nervous now

Not that I really care much about what those Jets fans have to say, but I have heard them ranting on about how GB has the blueprint to beating the Patriots, ya gotta laugh at that, after all GB did NOT beat the Pats! We win by 4 points against arguably the best D in the league, and we have been "exposed" to all others around the league, when will it stop!!!, :):rolleyes:

I believe Tremon Williams was on Welker the whole game. He's been shutting guys down like that all season. He's definitely underrated, so vote him to the pro-bowl, because he deserves it.
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and offering some insight to the Packers and Bears the last couple of weeks. I didn't know all that much about the Packers, and very little at all about Williams prior to this past week. Your info helped a lot when it came time to watch the game.

Stay class Donald!

I don't blame him. They ran at will against us and stopped us cold except for one or two drives. If they don't drop an interception which hit woodson in the hands or we don't get a free TD from the squibb kick....who knows what happens.

was anyone else screaming at Guyton? He looked so damn hesitant to make a tackle.

Every time I go to really like Guyton for the plays he makes he subsequently brings me back down to Earth with his Deion Sanders approach to non contact. He's an ILB!!!

Tate actually played very well when he was on the field. He had a nice block that sprung Hernandez on the end around. That being said, I don't believe he got that many snaps..

EDELMAN was a let down tonight. He had the one that pass that went right through his hands in the Red Zone. This has been a very down year, overall, for him..

We're seeing the same performance and giving different grades. I see 20 snaps and only a 5 yard reception for the "deep threat" differently than you do, especially when I put it together with other recent performances (1 catch for 4 yards two weeks ago, no catches the week before that, etc...). I think it's noteworthy when I see that he's got just 7 receptions in the last 7 games, and I see that as a problem moving forward.

It's just one of those things where we'll have to agree to disagree.

ap-53ce8e839d1543ccb154e61053ed8185.jpg

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews looks a the New England Patriots cheerleaders dressed as Santa's during the second quarter of a NFL football game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium

This picture is classic. Wonder what he was thinking out there..?

Well since he's a LB maybe he was thinking, "I'd hit it!" :eek:

I rarely get into the media bashing that so many here love, but I'm sorry, I've got to say this:

Gresh may be the stupidest human being on the face of the Earth.

What specific statement(s) are you referring to?

Not that in general I'd disagree.

What specific statement(s) are you referring to?

Not that in general I'd disagree.

I was listening to the post-game show last night. I don't think he made a cogent point for the entire show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe