PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Packers-Pats POSTGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things:

1.) Between the onside kick and the pick-6, the offense had fewer opportunities to score than the Chargers.

2.) This is a run defense that's only a strong point in comparison to the pass defense. The margin for error, particularly because Ty's been gone all season, is razor thin. In both losses this season, and in tonight's surprisingly close game, it's been opposing teams having the ability to run the ball that's been key. That being said....

3.) Without Brace and, to a lesser extent, the other missing D-linemen tonight, the Packers were able to focus their efforts on Wilfork and key their running game off of him. By locating him, they were able to run the ball down the Patriots' throats. This game would have been completely different with Brace there to help anchor against the run on first downs.

4.) Terrible officiating in the game tonight but, then again, there was a lot of terrible officiating around the league this weekend.

5.) The tackling of the back 8 was frequently a problem tonight. I expect that will be a point of emphasis this week.

6.) Tate continues to underwhelm. Tonight was precisely the sort of night where a receiver who can break loose over the top would have been able to make a real difference, and Tate wasn't up to the task.

7.) BJGE's long run was a beautiful thing to watch. Between the great blocking and the open field cutback read by BJGE, it was almost textbook.

8.) In the "Thank you very much" category, Arrington's pic-6 would never have been possible if the Packers' receiver had run out his route instead of pulling up when Chung flew by him. Instead of a defensive penalty for illegal contact/PI, it became 7 points for the Patriots.

9.) Welker seemed a bit off tonight. I wonder if 3 straight weeks of colder weather has had an impact, or if it was just an off game.

thank DI...very good postgame post mortem....I think Woodson following Welker around during presnaps may have throw Wes off a bit.

i wonder if mcarthy second guesses himself for not going for it on 4th and 1 at the goal and kicking a FG instead.

6.) Tate continues to underwhelm. Tonight was precisely the sort of night where a receiver who can break loose over the top would have been able to make a real difference, and Tate wasn't up to the task.

That play where the safety actually out ran him and beat him on the route (and almost had the INT to boot) was absolutely ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't give up on Tate just yet. This is essentially his rookie year and not everybody "gets it" as quickly as guys like Gronkowski and Hernandez do.

That play where the safety actually out ran him and beat him on the route (and almost had the INT to boot) was absolutely ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't give up on Tate just yet. This is essentially his rookie year and not everybody "gets it" as quickly as guys like Gronkowski and Hernandez do.

Well, it's been a redshirt season and most of a 'real' season. I understand that teams need to give the puppies some time, but they also shouldn't need to wait for this guy when they're trying to win Super Bowls.

I defended the pick when it was made, and I'm still fine with it, but the team really needs to think about looking for a burner for next season. I've had WR on my "top 5" list all season and Tate's done little to change that so far. If Tate turns it up, that's a bonus at this point.

I am thrilled with this win.

Great teaching moment. Played poorly a lot and still won...lots of fodder for BB.

This will allow the young team to get the swelling down and fit back inside their helmets.

All that negative and a W. Big character builder going into the playoffs.

But thats about all the TEAM positives I take from the game. The team was not prepared properly by the coaching staff. The preparation they did have was not executed properly for the most part. There were individual good games, but as a team, there is a lot of work to do.

And I said it already. At this point in the season that can be a very good thing.

I totally agree. Football isn't about blowing out an opponent every week. Games like this happen to all teams. They won. This game was a blast and will make them better.

Well, it's been a redshirt season and most of a 'real' season. I understand that teams need to give the puppies some time, but they also shouldn't need to wait for this guy when they're trying to win Super Bowls.

I defended the pick when it was made, and I'm still fine with it, but the team really needs to think about looking for a burner for next season. I've had WR on my "top 5" list all season and Tate's done little to change that so far. If Tate turns it up, that's a bonus at this point.

I wouldn't go WR with my first two picks (I think those two picks should be spent on the O-Line and the front seven), but I wouldn't fault them for spending one in the second round.

I wouldn't go WR with my first two picks (I think those two picks should be spent on the O-Line and the front seven), but I wouldn't fault them for spending one in the second round.

Not to rehash this too much, but I'm still looking at

DE
OLB
G
RB
WR

as the top 5, pretty much in that order, although I could see flipping RB and WR.

DE
OLB
G
RB
WR

as the top 5, pretty much in that order, although I could see flipping RB and WR.

I would think that G might be important where Neal will probably retire and Mankins is NOT locked up by any stretch....

Just saw the TBC penalty on replay, what a crock, the olineman had TBC's mask.

absolutely, they were both at fault, that only ONE of them was given a penalty was telling enough, it really was quite bad, either penalize both or neither, that was as horrible as calls in the NFL will go

thank got we were able to overcome both the team and the refs tonight, lets hope we never have to do so again

Hey everyone, Packer fan here.

Great game, Brady is an assassin out there.

I'm kinda numb, don't really know what to think, but I wanted to check in and give you guys dap on the win. I felt we were going at 110% effort, and you guys were just going thru the motions. I was shocked you guys didn't blow us out in the 2nd half.

Your TEs and that kid McCourty are ballers. Wilfork is still going hard after these last few years.

Flynn surprised the hell outta me, but Coach M in late game situations once again manages to confuse me. Ugh.

I'm proud of my boys tonight, very proud.

Once 2011 rolls around and we get 13 guys (LOL) off of IR, we may see you in February. Who knows. Until then, y'all keep it going.

You should be proud. You should have won. The Pats got lucky.

DE
OLB
G
RB
WR

The way I see it, I like Brace as a run stuffing DE with Ty Warren coming back next year. The pick on the DE might be able to wait (especially with the possibility that Deaderick could improve as well). I like the picks at guard (specifically RG) and OLB in the first round. At RB, I wouldn't mind us exploring free agency or even using one of the second round picks. Same with WR (who we seem to agree should be explored in the second round).

I would think that G might be important where Neal will probably retire and Mankins is NOT locked up by any stretch....

I agree. That's why I'm looking at taking a guard with the Carolina pick (currently #33).

Here's a couple things I'm thinking/observing

-This was probably the most exciting back-and-forth game I've seen from the Packers this season.... very entertaining... even for a Packer's loss.

-Matt Flynn was very impressive for his first start. Rodgers would have done at least as good IMO. He was accurate the whole game, and was making good decisions, but he couldn't deal with the blitz, as he would freeze if the Pats D was coming faster than he expected, because he does not have a very quick release. Rodgers does have a quick release, and would have gained some yards on the ground from some of those blitzes. Overall a good game from Flynn, but his inexperience really showed on the last drive of the game, and it cost us the W.

-Clay Matthews was a non-factor as he was double-teamed all night (as most teams have been doing to him lately). BJ Raji was the benefactor of Clay's double teams, as he was one-on-one most of the game, resulting in 2 sacks and multiple pressures. Pick your poison I suppose.

-Too many missed opportunities for the Packers Defense. I think I counted 4 balls that could have been intercepted that were dropped. The giftwrapped ball early in the game to Woodson. Sam Shields had one he had a chance at. Eric Walden had one go through his hands. AJ Hawk had a chance at a tipped ball, but Vollmer did a good job of ensuring that the ball would fall to the ground. Its uncharacteristic of this defense to drop so many interceptions, especially when you don't get many chances against Brady.

-To those that are saying that this is an ugly win for the Patriots, consider that you guys put the most points on this Packers defense than any other team we've played. This is only the 4th time this season that a team has put more than 20 points on the Packers and the first time a team has put more than 30 on them. The Patriots offense looked better over 60 minutes than any team we've faced to date.

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

-Connolly's 71-yard return has got to be the craziest special teams play I've seen all year. Props to the Pats special teams for some AMAZING blocking for a bumbling stumbling big guy.

-The pats seem to have a ton of heart, and BB has been able to do what many coaches have not been able to do, and that is get his players to put the team first. Specifically thinking about how the SNF crew kept bringing up how the receivers would block on running plays. I see why Randy Moss does not fit on this team.

-The Patriots run defense was much softer that I expected to see it. I know you guys had a ton of injuries to your defensive line, but that seems to be the way to move the ball against the Patriots. Though most teams can't match the production of the Pats offense to be able to stick with the run.

-And thanks to all you guys here at patsfans.com for the hospitality... you guys have shown tons of class. I'm hoping for a rematch in Dallas, but until then, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats win em all.

Cheers :eat3:

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

1.) Bulaga clearly committed a penalty, and he made significantly more than "slight contact".

2.) McCourty's penalty was a horse crap call.

3.) Wilfork's should have been offsetting, and your "one thing at a time" excuse is simply nonsense.

It's ironic that you were tossing that glasses comment around while making the above arguments.

I think that was the nickel-back Sam Shields that was on Tate (not a safety). Shields is easily the fastest guy on the team and he has pretty good cover skills, so I wouldn't say Tate was necessarily dogging it. I'd give him another year as well as he has tons of natural athletic ability.

Look again at the Bulaga facemask grab...it WAS very blatant.

Very entertaining game...I like the Pack... I hate Brayette Farver with a vengeance...hope the Pack goes far in the playoffs and Brayette goes back to Jacka$$, MIssissippi

I rarely get into the media bashing that so many here love, but I'm sorry, I've got to say this:

Gresh may be the stupidest human being on the face of the Earth.

Im so proud of the guys, especially the DLmen. We were severely shorthanded upfront. They tough it up. We weren't prepared (enough video to study) for Flynn and he played fairly well...

I do believe we should have blitzed a little more... they showed weakness in stopping it and they kid looked scared every time we blitzed.

Vince... Thanks for a great performance....

:agree: What he said.

Vince for DPOY. Seriously, this guy is an absolute freak with the heart of a lion.

TBC and Ninko are concerning me a bit right now. TBC is servicable. Ninko--hopefully it's just one bad game. We need Wright back. No pass rush except on blitz. The way McCourty adjusted on his blitz and manuevered to make the play was a thing of beauty

Need to spend one of our high picks on a 3-4 DE. Is there a guy that could be half as good as Richard Seymour out there somewhere? Maybe the return of Ty Warren will make this a moot point,

Offense sputtered at crucial times. GB had a great defensive gameplan. And I think part of it was, "do not let Wes Welker beat you." Welker invisible for the most part.

Thank God for Danny Woodhead and Deon Branch.

Great gutsy win that wasn't pretty, but give the Pack credit. People thinking this game was in the bag once they found out Rogers was out are insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case