PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Packers-Pats POSTGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ap-53ce8e839d1543ccb154e61053ed8185.jpg

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews looks a the New England Patriots cheerleaders dressed as Santa's during the second quarter of a NFL football game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium

This picture is classic. Wonder what he was thinking out there..?
He looks like hes doing his best Captain Morgan pose.

After this game Bill has a lot to work on with his team which i think is a great thing rather than blowing out every team and having nothing to work on..i expect them to be firing on all cylinders at buffalo

I was listening to the post-game show last night. I don't think he made a cogent point for the entire show.

I'm away from NE and missed it. Not surprised though. Gresh substitutes loud volume for considered thought. As always I can't believe how the Krafts can't somehow wrangle a better radio pre and post game crew.

Stay class Donald!

How is he being classless? We barely got by a team playing without it's starting quarterback and at no point in the game did we resemble a "great" team. As a matter of fact, with how flat the team came out last night, the fact that he said we were "decent" is actually a compliment. If you're going to bash Driver for that, you should REALLY bash Belichick for what he said in his postgame presser last night. That was a devastating cutdown compared to what Driver said.

How is he being classless? We barely got by a team playing without it's starting quarterback and at no point in the game did we resemble a "great" team. As a matter of fact, with how flat the team came out last night, the fact that he said we were "decent" is actually a compliment. If you're going to bash Driver for that, you should REALLY bash Belichick for what he said in his postgame presser last night. That was a devastating cutdown compared to what Driver said.

Dude, everyone knows that Belichick is a Patriots hater.

We beat a team that was Ranked 7th best defense overall before yesterday's game and they played against the 28th ranked defense.

It didn't surprise me that we squeaked out with a win and it was good that we were at home vs away since I believe that we would have lost this game on the road.

I had this game pegged as a loss at the beginning of the season.

I'll take it!

Good teams find a way to win!

Two division games to go!

BTW...Miami D was ranked 4th overall before yesterday while Buffalo was 23rd.

Yes, Bill looks pissed in his post game press conference.

When both players are holding a face mask, is the penalty always on the defensive player? On that last play by TBC, it looked like both players grabbed some mask.

You would be pissed to if your Offense has been on the field for just 20 minutes and only 43 plays or so. And your defense has had to play for 40 minutes with the season's largest number of penalties accepted against the Pats.

It could have been worse, losing to a rookie quarterback who carved up your defense like a turkey. Lots of things to do better.

Dude, everyone knows that Belichick is a Patriots hater.

I'll never understand why you guys do this to yourselves. If you want Belichick to go away, just stop listening to him. :)

Last edited:
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and offering some insight to the Packers and Bears the last couple of weeks. I didn't know all that much about the Packers, and very little at all about Williams prior to this past week. Your info helped a lot when it came time to watch the game.
Thanks man... I think I might pop back in from time to time during the playoffs as well... you guys are good football fans, and hopefully we'll see a rematch in February (if the Pack can take the division, I think we have a good chance of being there).

Even though we lost, packer fans around here are probably more optimistic than last week since every other game this weekend has gone our way with the Bucs, Saints and Giants losing. They now control their own destiny (where they didn't last week)... if they win their last two home games they're guaranteed a spot.

Here's a couple things I'm thinking/observing

-This was probably the most exciting back-and-forth game I've seen from the Packers this season.... very entertaining... even for a Packer's loss.

-Matt Flynn was very impressive for his first start. Rodgers would have done at least as good IMO. He was accurate the whole game, and was making good decisions, but he couldn't deal with the blitz, as he would freeze if the Pats D was coming faster than he expected, because he does not have a very quick release. Rodgers does have a quick release, and would have gained some yards on the ground from some of those blitzes. Overall a good game from Flynn, but his inexperience really showed on the last drive of the game, and it cost us the W.

-Clay Matthews was a non-factor as he was double-teamed all night (as most teams have been doing to him lately). BJ Raji was the benefactor of Clay's double teams, as he was one-on-one most of the game, resulting in 2 sacks and multiple pressures. Pick your poison I suppose.

-Too many missed opportunities for the Packers Defense. I think I counted 4 balls that could have been intercepted that were dropped. The giftwrapped ball early in the game to Woodson. Sam Shields had one he had a chance at. Eric Walden had one go through his hands. AJ Hawk had a chance at a tipped ball, but Vollmer did a good job of ensuring that the ball would fall to the ground. Its uncharacteristic of this defense to drop so many interceptions, especially when you don't get many chances against Brady.

-To those that are saying that this is an ugly win for the Patriots, consider that you guys put the most points on this Packers defense than any other team we've played. This is only the 4th time this season that a team has put more than 20 points on the Packers and the first time a team has put more than 30 on them. The Patriots offense looked better over 60 minutes than any team we've faced to date.

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

-Connolly's 71-yard return has got to be the craziest special teams play I've seen all year. Props to the Pats special teams for some AMAZING blocking for a bumbling stumbling big guy.

-The pats seem to have a ton of heart, and BB has been able to do what many coaches have not been able to do, and that is get his players to put the team first. Specifically thinking about how the SNF crew kept bringing up how the receivers would block on running plays. I see why Randy Moss does not fit on this team.

-The Patriots run defense was much softer that I expected to see it. I know you guys had a ton of injuries to your defensive line, but that seems to be the way to move the ball against the Patriots. Though most teams can't match the production of the Pats offense to be able to stick with the run.

-And thanks to all you guys here at patsfans.com for the hospitality... you guys have shown tons of class. I'm hoping for a rematch in Dallas, but until then, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats win em all.

Cheers :eat3:

While I disagree with you on the penalties called on NE, thank you for your observations. The one that merits attention is the fact that Pats scored the most points on the Packers this season. The press seems to have missed this.

This team will be a one and doned in the playoffs if they play liked that.The OL was awful!The wrs couldnt get any separation.I thought Arrington had a bad game even with the interception that he had.The d-line was pushed around.The time of possession was a joke.The only bright spot was McCourthy who looks like a star already at CB.

I'm away from NE and missed it. Not surprised though. Gresh substitutes loud volume for considered thought. As always I can't believe how the Krafts can't somehow wrangle a better radio pre and post game crew.

I actually switched to WEEI (which I hardly do any more at any time) both pre- and post-game.

Pre-game (I'm talking noon, because that is when I was in the car) they had that dolt Trupiano on talking endlessly about whether Papelbon will be the closer. HELLOOOO! It's an NFL Sunday and not only are the Pats playing tonight, but there are a lot of other important games on beforehand. WEEI had Dale Arnold, Troy Brown and Christian Fauria on. A much better listen as they were talking Pats and they were funny (Troy Brown really is hilarious).

Post-game I couldn't stand one more minute of Gresh and that blowhard Tanguay playing who can yell louder or be ruder to the callers. Bob Neumier and I forget who else on WEEI on The Real Postgame Show, but again, a much easier listen to get me home after the game.

Patriots Flagship Station - Take Notice!!!

This team will be a one and doned in the playoffs if they play liked that.The OL was awful!The wrs couldnt get any separation.I thought Arrington had a bad game even with the interception that he had.The d-line was pushed around.The time of possession was a joke.The only bright spot was McCourthy who looks like a star already at CB.

I do not think it was as bad as you project. The offensive line was inconsistent, especially when allowing pressure up the middle on Tom. But they did really solid work in the red area and opened some nice holes for BJGE and Woodhead.

The defense was gashed, and there were some bad angles and tackling exhibited by Patriots defenders. However, they won the turnover battle and made key stops when needed. Also, I have to commend Wilfork, Deadrick, and Warren for playing hard and through injuries (in Deadrick's and Warren's case) all game.

every team in the league has had a game or two which qualified in the category "if they play like this they are one and done in the playoffs"
name one playoff team which hasnt had that moment

Humbug: Patriots not feeling like winners after subpar effort - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
That's what the Patriots have become this season. They have become the team that wins every time out, good game or bad, home or away, snow or not. The Patriots have emerged from this season of league-wide parity as the preeminent team in the AFC and probably all of the NFL by winning its past six games, most of them blowouts.

Sunday was the Patriots' sixth consecutive game with no turnovers and at least 30 points, extending their NFL record. It was the team's 16th consecutive regular-season victory at Gillette Stadium. It was Brady's 27th win in a row here.

It was ugly and it was disappointing -- it was "terrible," as Belichick said -- but it was a victory. It was what the Patriots do. It just wasn't how they do it.

"We have a high standard around here," Edelman said. "And this didn't meet that standard."

Nope. Sure didn't.

Then again, the Patriots won. Worst game in months, in all three phases, and the Patriots won. Isn't anyone around here satisfied with that?

I liked the quoted excerpt.

I also strongly dislike Borges article on the Boston Herald bashing the team but praising Brady on one of his more forgettable nights. Our defense stepped up big time, Brady and the offense offered little help. GB's defense actually helped more by not catching some of Brady's passes. Give credit where credit is due.

He doesn't give any or enough credit to:
- The defense holding GB to several field goals while completely gassed
- Connolly and the ST which had pretty good coverage all around tonight on GBs returns
- Arrington's pick 6
- Benny's 33 yard dash

But he has no issue jerking off TB. I love this offense but last night was forgettable for them, and the defense with almost nobody to rotate in, playing their asses off while completely gassed, they really stepped up and were the stars for this team. Hate to quote Rex Ryan, but when he said "sometimes our offense has to bail out our defense, and sometimes our defense has to bail out our offense", that held true for the Pats last night. Game would have been lost without them stepping up.

Last edited:
-To those that are saying that this is an ugly win for the Patriots, consider that you guys put the most points on this Packers defense than any other team we've played. This is only the 4th time this season that a team has put more than 20 points on the Packers and the first time a team has put more than 30 on them. The Patriots offense looked better over 60 minutes than any team we've faced to date.

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

:

May I point out that it is impossible to lead with the helmet and have the shoulder make contact first. The head is above the shoulders and therefore will be in front of the shoulders when a player is moving forward. You have to actually attempt to put your shoulder in front of your helmet. It was a moronic call made with the illegal use of the Jumbotron for Goodell's benefit.

The facemask should have been off-setting honestly, and maybe Vince would actually get a holding call for once if a guy could actually get his arms around the big man's body.

The way I saw this game was 1 trick play, 1 terrible angle taken by a safety, and a few horrendous calls from being a blowout. People are saying the Pats were lucky, well they had not a single call go their way and still won.

The D obviously got tired, particularly the line, but I don't see this as being as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

May I point out that it is impossible to lead with the helmet and have the shoulder make contact first. The head is above the shoulders and therefore will be in front of the shoulders when a player is moving forward. You have to actually attempt to put your shoulder in front of your helmet. It was a moronic call made with the illegal use of the Jumbotron for Goodell's benefit.

The facemask should have been off-setting honestly, and maybe Vince would actually get a holding call for once if a guy could actually get his arms around the big man's body.

The way I saw this game was 1 trick play, 1 terrible angle taken by a safety, and a few horrendous calls from being a blowout. People are saying the Pats were lucky, well they had not a single call go their way and still won.

The D obviously got tired, particularly the line, but I don't see this as being as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

The Pats offense blew most of their opportunities, how was that not bad?

NEDrives.jpg

4 drives under 10 yards (the TD had little to do with the offense), one stalling out after gaining 50+. This game was ugly, but it was a great learning experience, i'd rather find every flaw BEFORE we enter the post season. This was never close to a blowout for either team. The game was as close as the final score says.

Last edited:
How do you know it is poor route running and hands for Price?

Nobody knows what Price's deal is, but the fact that he hasn't been able to make the active roster yet this season, despite being healthy and not switching positions, certainly doesn't speak well of him. Generally speaking, players who go on to be contributors in the NFL are able to offer at least something in their rookie seasons.

Tate was never thought of as a burner in the mold of Mike Wallace or Randy Moss. How do you know it's his route running that isn't allowing him to get separation and not just good play by the opposing DB?
If he's being routinely outplayed by #3-#4 CBs, then that's an issue in its own right. That said, I'm not worried about Tate. He's made some excellent catches, and he has speed. I'm inclined to agree with Kontra that poor route running would be the logical answer to what his problems might be, but that's something that he can work on in the offseason, and in the mean time he's still a valuable KR and occasional deep threat.

I certainly think that adding a WR is possible in the 2nd-3rd round, if a talented enough player is available. Edelman hasn't done much in two years to show that he belongs in the NFL, and IMO it would be foolish to assume that Welker and Branch will both stay healthy. No harm in having some depth behind them, especially considering how many picks the Pats have and how few true needs they have going into this offseason (DE, WR, G, OLB, CB and RB are needs to varying degrees, but none are absolutely critical: G is the only position where they basically need to go and draft a player who may be capable of starting from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes