PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Packers-Pats POSTGAME thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats offense blew most of their opportunities, how was that not bad?

NEDrives.jpg

4 drives under 10 yards (the TD had little to do with the offense), one stalling out after gaining 50+. This game was ugly, but it was a great learning experience, i'd rather find every flaw BEFORE we enter the post season. This was never close to a blowout for either team. The game was as close as the final score says.

With as little TOP as the offense had, against one of the best defenses in the league, I'll take three touchdowns. It wasn't their best game, obviously, but it wasn't an indictment either.

With as little TOP as the offense had, against one of the best defenses in the league, I'll take three touchdowns. It wasn't their best game, obviously, but it wasn't an indictment either.

TOP and offensive struggles go and in hand. The TOP was so low because the offense couldn't sustain a drive. And I'll certainly give GB credit where its due, but this is the same NE offense we watched rip apart the Steelers, Jets, and Bears in a 5 week span. Win is a win but the offenses execution was pretty poor and our defense saved us.

Hey guys please dont rub this in our face. This one is a brutal loss. I am so down and out today I feel like crying honestly. Hats off to you guys, good game and best wishes for the playoffs.

Hey guys please dont rub this in our face. This one is a brutal loss. I am so down and out today I feel like crying honestly. Hats off to you guys, good game and best wishes for the playoffs.

We aren't Jets fans, so we wouldn't do such a thing. I expected a close game the whole time, but I was in a very small minority in doing so. Most people did NOT see Flynn leading the Packers to a near-upset last night. Good luck to you guys, too!

Welcome! I thought the Packers played great. The gave the Pats, at home, almost more than they could handle. Outstanding team you have there. :)

Last edited:
I dont have faith going forward though that this team can pull it together. I think this loss might have hurt us and we will fall to 8-8. Always next year.

I dont have faith going forward though that this team can pull it together. I think this loss might have hurt us and we will fall to 8-8. Always next year.

Why wouldn't you have any faith in your team? You have one of, if not THE, best defenses in the NFC (and NFL). You have one of the better quarterbacks in the league returning to lead an absolutely loaded stable of WR's. If the Packers can get in, they're just as likely to go all the way as anybody else. Especially if they can run the ball like they did against the Pats last night.

Why wouldn't you have any faith in your team? You have one of, if not THE, best defenses in the NFC (and NFL). You have one of the better quarterbacks in the league returning to lead an absolutely loaded stable of WR's. If the Packers can get in, they're just as likely to go all the way as anybody else. Especially if they can run the ball like they did against the Pats last night.

We just can't win big games against good teams. We always choke. Trust me we wont go far and 90 percent chance we will not get into the playoffs. We cant win close games ever and our coach is an idiot. Rodgers just puts up numbers but cant win. Sorry guys the season is over for us. Best wishes in the playoffs for you guys and hope you go all the way.

We just can't win big games against good teams. We always choke. Trust me we wont go far and 90 percent chance we will not get into the playoffs. We cant win close games ever and our coach is an idiot. Rodgers just puts up numbers but cant win. Sorry guys the season is over for us. Best wishes in the playoffs for you guys and hope you go all the way.
I know all fan bases tend to get too high after a win and too low after a loss, but what's the general feeling there with the Packers - specifically in regards to Thompson and McCarthy?

Your backup played well; simply his inexperience cost him the confusion of the last play. Readers of this forum know that your starter Rogers is well respected here. As others have said, we're not the Jets forum. We welcome insightful posts by opposing teams fans.

I know all fan bases tend to get too high after a win and too low after a loss, but what's the general feeling there with the Packers - specifically in regards to Thompson and McCarthy?

I dont like McCarthy's playcalling at all. I think he has cost us a few games this year. We have lost 4 games by 3 points and 2 by 4 points. It hurts to get your heart ripped out in those six games. I dont know if I can watch this team the rest of the season. They beat themselves as well more then the other team beats them. We will be watching you guys from our couches this playoff year.

Last edited:
Here's a couple things I'm thinking/observing

-This was probably the most exciting back-and-forth game I've seen from the Packers this season.... very entertaining... even for a Packer's loss.

-Matt Flynn was very impressive for his first start. Rodgers would have done at least as good IMO. He was accurate the whole game, and was making good decisions, but he couldn't deal with the blitz, as he would freeze if the Pats D was coming faster than he expected, because he does not have a very quick release. Rodgers does have a quick release, and would have gained some yards on the ground from some of those blitzes. Overall a good game from Flynn, but his inexperience really showed on the last drive of the game, and it cost us the W.

-Clay Matthews was a non-factor as he was double-teamed all night (as most teams have been doing to him lately). BJ Raji was the benefactor of Clay's double teams, as he was one-on-one most of the game, resulting in 2 sacks and multiple pressures. Pick your poison I suppose.

-Too many missed opportunities for the Packers Defense. I think I counted 4 balls that could have been intercepted that were dropped. The giftwrapped ball early in the game to Woodson. Sam Shields had one he had a chance at. Eric Walden had one go through his hands. AJ Hawk had a chance at a tipped ball, but Vollmer did a good job of ensuring that the ball would fall to the ground. Its uncharacteristic of this defense to drop so many interceptions, especially when you don't get many chances against Brady.

-To those that are saying that this is an ugly win for the Patriots, consider that you guys put the most points on this Packers defense than any other team we've played. This is only the 4th time this season that a team has put more than 20 points on the Packers and the first time a team has put more than 30 on them. The Patriots offense looked better over 60 minutes than any team we've faced to date.

-To some of you guys complaining about the penalties... you seriously need to look at these things without your blue and silver glasses on. I will say that Wilfork was being held on the hands-to-the-face call and it should have been offsetting penalties, but the ref can only be watching one thing at a time, and the hands-to-the-face was pretty blatant. Bulaga did not commit a penalty on that play either... he may have made slight contact with TBC's facemask but it wasn't worthy of a penalty. McCourty's penalty on the hit on Quarless was definitely legit. Players have been getting penalized and heavily fined for far less all season. He did lead with his helmet and even though his shoulder may have made contact first, he still had helmet to helmet contact against a defenseless receiver... textbook call IMO and he'll likely be fined for it. Just think if Revis would have made the same hit on Welker, you'd all be calling for a penalty and fine.

-Connolly's 71-yard return has got to be the craziest special teams play I've seen all year. Props to the Pats special teams for some AMAZING blocking for a bumbling stumbling big guy.

-The pats seem to have a ton of heart, and BB has been able to do what many coaches have not been able to do, and that is get his players to put the team first. Specifically thinking about how the SNF crew kept bringing up how the receivers would block on running plays. I see why Randy Moss does not fit on this team.

-The Patriots run defense was much softer that I expected to see it. I know you guys had a ton of injuries to your defensive line, but that seems to be the way to move the ball against the Patriots. Though most teams can't match the production of the Pats offense to be able to stick with the run.

-And thanks to all you guys here at patsfans.com for the hospitality... you guys have shown tons of class. I'm hoping for a rematch in Dallas, but until then, I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats win em all.

Cheers :eat3:

Greetings Cheesehead,

That was an interesting, well spoken, non-trolling post. so prepare to get flamed back to the fondue dish. :)

Got to completely agree with your first four paragraphs. Always dangerous to play a team that everyone picks to be blown out. Makes the favorite team tight and the uber underdog able to play with both the no respect chip on the shoulder and nothing to lose ferocity.

Don't see eye to eye on the penalty thing though. GB got vastly preferential treatment from the zebras.

Completely disagree with the helmet to helmet call. How is a defensive back supposed to make contact with a player hard enough to jar the ball loose? McCourty didn't launch nor was Quarless defenseless. Just more pandering to Roger. Pretty ridiculous that the refs watched the jumbo tron while conferring. I think they were peeking up at their boss as well.

So there is some friendly disagreement on the penalties. Green Bay played a great game. Let the Pats off the hook by kicking a FG from the one. Good luck with the Jints. I can't imagine how they are going to shake off that epic choke, but they do have a history of playing well when all seems lost.

Re: Hernandez says it best

To BB, last night's win was nothing to celebrate or to be excited over. There are clearly many things that need to be corrected for the upcoming games and he will have them working their tails to do so.

The Brown's loss knocked some sense into this team and last night will hopefully be the last step backwards this season.

I dont like McCarthy's playcalling at all. I think he has cost us a few games this year. We have lost 4 games by 3 points and 2 by 4 points. It hurts to get your heart ripped out in those six games. I dont know if I can watch this team the rest of the season. They beat themselves as well more then the other team beats them. We will be watching you guys from our couches this playoff year.

NEM!!!!!!
You're a Packers fan now??????

Last edited:
Re: Hernandez says it best

Precursor to the Playoffs....

I've had a day to digest the hard fought victory against the Green Bay Packers and I came to realize that last night's game was exactly what a "hot" team needs going into the playoffs. This isn't to say that the Patriots' coaching staff isn't keeping the egos in check, but as much as any coach can preach the need to play all 4 quarters or play to the whistle or strive to improve, egos are going to stray.

So what were the Green Bay Packers?

ANSWER: A playoff caliber defense.

Make no mistake, the playoffs will be a battle against some of the league's best defenses and these won't be games that Tom Brady will be tossing 4 TDs on 400 yards. Nope. These are games where the big guys are going to have to push the line of scrimmage and the back will be asked to push the pile.

With that said, I'm glad to have The LAW FIRM, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor.

Offensive Personnel Groupings - NE vs GB

Groupings: 3 TDs for 2-TE package

Groupings: 3 TDs for 2-TE package - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

A look at the positional groupings utilized throughout the game:

3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 19 of 44 (12 first half/7 second half)
2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 18 of 44 (11 first half/7 second half)
1 WR/2 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 3 of 44 (1 first half/2 second half)
4 WR/1 RB -- 2 of 44 (1 first half/1 second half)
3 TE/1 FB/1 RB -- 1 of 44 (1 first half/0 second half)
1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 1 of 44 (0 first half/1 second half)

What? You guys really should have blown us out.
We wanted to make you feel good about yourselves :rolleyes: I think once they heard that Rogers was going to be out the team thought it was going to be a cake walk and didn't take the Packers seriously enough. I think the pats have been reading they're press clippings and let down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents