PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins [Clayton: Pats offered more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
New England sends Ben Watson/Jarvis Green and two second round picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers...

And the NFL promptly rejects the contract because the Pats would still go over their salary cap. . . .

New England sends Ben Watson/Jarvis Green and two second round picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers...

Right now we're 4.6 (roughly) under cap without signing a single rookie. If Peppers wants to sign for the combined cap savings (not salaries, SAVINGS) of those two, yeah, sure, done deal. I'm skeptical he would.

Dude, what is that quote? Almost fell outta my chair!

Restructuring some contracts is one way, but I think a big time completion bonus for next year is the other obvious choice.

Big Lebowski :D

And again, that's wonderful in theory, but with our rookies still to sign, we basically need to save the same amount we're paying Peppers in any of these restructurings. So how many people can we restructure who would add up in total savings to the Peppers contract?

Dude, what is that quote? Almost fell outta my chair!

Restructuring some contracts is one way, but I think a big time completion bonus for next year is the other obvious choice.

Peppers is going to demand big time money. With about 27 contracts due

to expire after 2009, restructuring contracts would be difficult. The only

sure way would be cutting players like Faulk, Green, Light, and Bruschi.

This would weaken the team at four positions to strengthen one.

Peppers is going to demand big time money. With about 27 contracts due

to expire after 2009, restructuring contracts would be difficult. The only

sure way would be cutting players like Faulk, Green, Light, and Bruschi.

This would weaken the team at four positions to strengthen one.

With a player who, talented as he is, would be changing systems completely and changing positions on top of it. So we're giving up money, players at positions we're not overflowing in, and draft picks, for a talented unknown with a questionable motor.

Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins

Thanks for not raking me over the coals; I agree about sticking to a plan re running a team as there is a track record for success, couldn't agree more. I hope I am dead wrong on this one, trust me on that and perhaps BB has seen enough something from one of the group battling for the spot that leads him to believe they will be ok; that is a big hole on your defense that you can't just cover up with smoke and mirrors.

Where the linebacker is so crucial to the success of the 3-4, it's just not a position that I believe BB takes lightly and tries to patch it up from the scrap heap like he's done with the secondary. I trust he does have a plan. We just haven't seen it yet.

You might have to give a Richard Seymour and Watson and 1 second rounder to Carolina instead of your idea - John Fox is not a coach who likes to give his franchise players away too easily and Green is good but its not enough IMO.

With Mayo and AD, you have two guys who next season will likely produce as near-Pro Bowl level players. 2 guys at that level is probably enough.

Not every player on the defense has to be All World. Let's see what we have in Crable/Redd/Woods before panicking, also keeping in mind that this team [with a notably much, much, much lesser receiving corps] almost made it to the Super Bowl with TBC as a main contributor at OLB.

And the NFL promptly rejects the contract because the Pats would still go over their salary cap. . . .

Well, not neccessarily. It would require at least Brady and Light converting salary into bonus money, but there could be a way to get a deal done depending on how they structured the contract. Trading those two players and restructuring Brady and Light could free up $5-7 million (not 100% how much restructuring Brady and Light would save).

I'm still not holding my breath, but it isn't impossible.

You might have to give a Richard Seymour and Watson and 1 second rounder to Carolina instead of your idea - John Fox is not a coach who likes to give his franchise players away too easily and Green is good but its not enough IMO.

That is too much for Peppers. Seymour and Peppers are almost on par in terms of value. I can't see the Pats throwing in Watson and a second to get a deal done.

Right now, the Pats may have more leverage than the Panthers. If the Panthers are concerned that they will lose Peppers for nothing next year, they might be willing to take less now.

I can't for the life of me see how trading Seymour for Peppers makes a lick of sense.

Seymour is more important to this defense than Peppers - even if he pans out and lives up to his upside and then some - could ever be.

For starters, you can't force 3rd down passing situations if you can't stop the run. Seymour is our best defender against the run (yes, I think he is stronger than Wilfork, or at least he was last season). Peppers is not a noted defender of the run, and he'd be doing it from a new position.

Seymour is the only member of the D-Line who is also a beast of a pass rusher. Sey was our best pass rusher last season, and finding an interior pass rusher is harder to do than finding a guy who can apply speed on the edge. I'd rather have AD than Peppers b/c while AD might not have the same explosion on the edge, AD has shown the versatility and power to bullrush and rush up the middle.

I wouldn't trade Seymour straight up for any other defender in the league, and especially not Peppers. The Trade Seymour talk is almost as crazy as the Trade Brady talk.

Last edited:
Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins.

Yes, obviously we'd have plenty of depth if we signed two more starters.

I don't think depth is an issue at LB. My concern is the starting positions. I think we have the most depth at the position we have had in several years, I just don't think the Pats have set in stone starters at two of the four positions.

I still don't see the Pats going from a 3-4 base unless the opponent calls for a 4-3 or other formation.

I can't for the life of me see how trading Seymour for Peppers makes a lick of sense.

Seymour is more important to this defense than Peppers - even if he pans out and lives up to his upside and then some - could ever be.

For starters, you can't force 3rd down passing situations if you can't stop the run. Seymour is our best defender against the run (yes, I think he is stronger than Wilfork, or at least he was last season). Peppers is not a noted defender of the run, and he'd be doing it from a new position.

Seymour is the only member of the D-Line who is also a beast of a pass rusher. Sey was our best pass rusher last season, and finding an interior pass rusher is harder to do than finding a guy who can apply speed on the edge. I'd rather have AD than Peppers b/c while AD might not have the same explosion on the edge, AD has shown the versatility and power to bullrush and rush up the middle.

I wouldn't trade Seymour straight up for any other defender in the league, and especially not Peppers. The Trade Seymour talk is almost as crazy as the Trade Brady talk.

If the Panthers said they wanted one of these trade proposals which one would you prefer?

Seymour,Watson and a 5th rounder for Peppers

NEs number #1 draft pick and 3 of the second rounders in 2010

or

Jarvis Green,Ben Watson and NEs first and 1 second rounder in 2010

Last edited:
If the Panthers said they wanted Seymour,Watson and a 5th rounder for Peppers OR NEs number #1 draft pick and 3 of the second rounders in 2010 which one would you prefer?

Keep all of them, and tell Carolina to go screw.

Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins

Seymour

/////

You must be crazy if you don't think BM is our best rusher.

Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins.

Woods has 5 starts and only one sack to his name. I'm not convinced that he will beat out TBC as a starter. He may emerge as a more than adequet starter, but I ain't sold on him yet. Obviously, Belichick isn't 100% either or he wouldn't have gone after Taylor in the first place.

As for Guyton, he had his moments, but he also had his share of bad moments. The guy has 34 tackles, 3 pass defenses, no sacks, and no INTs in 14 games last year. Great for an undrafted free agent rookie, but pretty mediocre for a guy who you expect to be your starter. He also could emerge, but I wouldn't consider him starting quality based on his 2008 season.

Randy Moss, Wes Welker and the 5000 wide receivers say "Hello!".

You may be right, but going after Taylor isn't really proof of that under this regime.

Last edited:
im happy jason taylor did not sign with us that means no more 40 yer olds at LB and all this talk of peppers needs to stop its not going to happen he wants more then haynesworth 7yer 100 million with $41 million in guarantees and tradeing seymour or any one for him is just crazy how would u feel when peppers has 7 sacks for us at OLB and seymour has 15 sacks for the panthers at DT seymour is a better pass rusher then peppers hes just asked to play the run more and block for the LB and its not even about who can we send to the panthers for peppers he dose not want to sign the tender so the panthers cant trade him they would love to get a 2th round pick for him and get his 17 million off there cap

Just because Belichick doesn't get help for the LB corps does not mean that we automatically should be satisfied it is this way,we just have to accept his decision and pray.

Lets not forget when we needed help in the defense a few years back, BB went and signed Chad Brown,Monty Beisel and Duane Starks and we all know how much of a mistake those guys were, so not signing any major player does not necessarily mean that eveything is a O.K. but we simply must sit back and relax hoping that laying off Pass Rushers in the draft and FA is the right move this time.

im happy jason taylor did not sign with us that means no more 40 yer olds at LB and all this talk of peppers needs to stop its not going to happen he wants more then haynesworth 7yer 100 million with $41 million in guarantees and tradeing seymour or any one for him is just crazy how would u feel when peppers has 7 sacks for us at OLB and seymour has 15 sacks for the panthers at DT seymour is a better pass rusher then peppers hes just asked to play the run more and block for the LB and its not even about who can we send to the panthers for peppers he dose not want to sign the tender so the panthers cant trade him they would love to get a 2th round pick for him and get his 17 million off there cap

Taylor is 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft