PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins [Clayton: Pats offered more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
im happy jason taylor did not sign with us that means no more 40 yer olds at LB and all this talk of peppers needs to stop its not going to happen he wants more then haynesworth 7yer 100 million with $41 million in guarantees and tradeing seymour or any one for him is just crazy how would u feel when peppers has 7 sacks for us at OLB and seymour has 15 sacks for the panthers at DT seymour is a better pass rusher then peppers hes just asked to play the run more and block for the LB and its not even about who can we send to the panthers for peppers he dose not want to sign the tender so the panthers cant trade him they would love to get a 2th round pick for him and get his 17 million off there cap

Vrabel is about Taylor's age and Adalius is not too far behind- Were you saying prior to the trade with KC that you wanted to see Vrabel cut or traded
elsewhere? ... I doubt it

Seymour is a great player for us but I seriously that Seymour will have more sacks than Peppers this year - Seymour is not nor will he ever be a double digit sack machine,He is not made to be one in this defense,Peppers could certainly be a double digit sack machine here but it would have to be at an OLB position.

Last edited:
It seems fans are spending a lot of time on this ONE position. I am as curious as any to see what's going to happen at OLB, but I have to think that even if it's a weak spot for most of the season, that having proven, solid starters at the other 21 positions is going to be more important than the 22nd... Maybe I need to get off the Kool Aid, or maybe, just maybe, other teams have lots more to worry about than one OLB position.

Check out the division : Jets (qb?), Bills (qb?), Dolphins (qb?)... as far as I'm concerned the Woods/Tully alliance is as solid at OLB as those teams' Qbs are at their positions (cue the Chad P. fans in 3,2,1...).

im happy jason taylor did not sign with us that means no more 40 yer olds at LB and all this talk of peppers needs to stop its not going to happen he wants more then haynesworth 7yer 100 million with $41 million in guarantees and tradeing seymour or any one for him is just crazy how would u feel when peppers has 7 sacks for us at OLB and seymour has 15 sacks for the panthers at DT seymour is a better pass rusher then peppers hes just asked to play the run more and block for the LB and its not even about who can we send to the panthers for peppers he dose not want to sign the tender so the panthers cant trade him they would love to get a 2th round pick for him and get his 17 million off there cap

I have no idea what you're saying, but I might if you used...

Punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems fans are spending a lot of time on this ONE position. I am as curious as any to see what's going to happen at OLB, but I have to think that even if it's a weak spot for most of the season, that having proven, solid starters at the other 21 positions is going to be more important than the 22nd... Maybe I need to get off the Kool Aid, or maybe, just maybe, other teams have lots more to worry about than one OLB position.

Check out the division : Jets (qb?), Bills (qb?), Dolphins (qb?)... as far as I'm concerned the Woods/Tully alliance is as solid at OLB as those teams' Qbs are at their positions (cue the Chad P. fans in 3,2,1...).

Why are you questioning who the QBs will be on these other division rivals?

I would bet you anything that its Edwards,Pennington and Sanchez as EASILY and BY FAR the starting QBs for their respective teams,its not like this is a question like you say.

Of all these teams in this division I would say that only Chad Henne has a shot at taking Pennington's spot if Chad has a bad preseason,I see no chance that Sanchez and Edwards are sitting.

If the Jets start Klemens over Sanchez in week 1 then Ryan is going to have to put up with A LOT of abuse from the Jets fans and media.

Why are you questioning who the QBs will be on these other division rivals?

I would bet you anything that its Edwards,Pennington and Sanchez as EASILY and BY FAR the starting QBs for their respective teams,its not like this is a question like you say.

Of all these teams in this division I would say that only Chad Henne has a shot at taking Pennington's spot if Chad has a bad preseason,I see no chance that Sanchez and Edwards are sitting.

If the Jets start Klemens over Sanchez in week 1 then Ryan is going to have to put up with A LOT of abuse from the Jets fans and media.

I think what he's saying is those QBs are as weak at their position as a Woods/TBC platoon is at OLB for us. Can't say I disagree, as I don't fear any of those three (though Penny tends to play well against us). In other words, Woods/TBC won't be the reason we don't win the division this year if that happens.

Lets face it, the genius is caught with his pants down. He is stuck with a very bad situation with LBs. In 34 defense without real proven play makers from LBs, you are toast.

Probably regretting passing guys like Woodley, Dave Harris when Bill deemed the draft was "too weak on LBs" year after year. Wasted on TEs, DTs (Thomas, Mills, Hill, Brown) that never panned out when we could have developed more depth at LB.

Besides Mayo, 3 starting LBs are from Bruschi, Guyton, Woods, Crable, TBC, Redd, plus an aging AT???? This is supposedly the superbowl LB core??? Bruschi is so slow he probably won't have not a job on any other team save the fact we are so thin on the LBs.
:confused:

Lets face it, the genius is caught with his pants down. He is stuck with a very bad situation with LBs. In 34 defense without real proven play makers from LBs, you are toast.

Probably regretting passing guys like Woodley, Dave Harris when Bill deemed the draft was "too weak on LBs" year after year. Wasted on TEs, DTs (Thomas, Mills, Hill, Brown) that never panned out when we could have developed more depth at LB.

Besides Mayo, 3 starting LBs are from Bruschi, Guyton, Woods, Crable, TBC, Redd, plus an aging AT???? This is supposedly the superbowl LB core??? Bruschi is so slow he probably won't have not a job on any other team save the fact we are so thin on the LBs.
:confused:

Did you buy stock in exagerration or something?

In other words, Woods/TBC won't be the reason we don't win the division this year if that happens.

LB is the heart of a 34 defense. DL hold up the running lanes and engage OL men while the LB seek and destroy QB/RB/TE or whoever has the ball in the box. When you don't have potent attacking LBs you are toast.

Trust me, if we fail this year, it will be on LB 100%! and will be on Bill the genius!!

:mad:

Last edited:
He's too old anyways, Pat's need to get younger not older imo.

LB is the heart of a 34 defense. DL hold up the gap and engage OL man while the LB seek holes and destroy QB or RB.

Trust me, if we fail thsi year, it will be on LB 100%! and will be on Bill the genius!!

Don't think you could be anymore wrong with that statement.

LB is the heart of a 34 defense. DL hold up the running lanes and engage OL men while the LB seek and destroy QB/RB/TE or whoever has the ball in the box. When you don't have potent attacking LBs you are toast.

Trust me, if we fail this year, it will be on LB 100%! and will be on Bill the genius!!

Sigh... ok, first of all, I understand the importance of linebackers in a 3-4 defense. You, on the other hand, failed to mention that it is also the job of the LBs to engage the blockers rather than avoid them. They don't just "seek and destroy" the ball carriers, it's more complex than that. Your idea that BB is foolishly passing on great LBs in the draft is based on half information. They're great in college, but most colleges ask them to do what you say... make plays, to hell with blockers. The translation from the college game to the pros is almost impossible to predict.

Obviously BB sees more in the guys we have than you do, otherwise he wouldn't have traded Vrabel without a solid backup plan. We have two pro-bowl caliber starters in the LB corp, plus a platoon situation at one ILB (bruschi-Guyton) and at OLB (Woods for running downs, TBC for passing). Not to mention that we often only play 3 LBs in Nickel formations, meaning we're fine with the speed package of Mayo, Guyton, and Thomas.

If we fail this year, it will be because something else went wrong as well. If the LBs play like they're supposed to given the personnel, we still have a pro-bowl DL and a hopefully improved secondary, with 2/4 LBs at pro-bowl level as well. If two positions with adequate starters out of 11 on defense can break your defense, you've built a terrible system. I think the last decade has proven that the Patriots have NOT built a terrible system.

Sigh... ok, first of all, I understand the importance of linebackers in a 3-4 defense. You, on the other hand, failed to mention that it is also the job of the LBs to engage the blockers rather than avoid them. They don't just "seek and destroy" the ball carriers, it's more complex than that. Your idea that BB is foolishly passing on great LBs in the draft is based on half information. They're great in college, but most colleges ask them to do what you say... make plays, to hell with blockers. The translation from the college game to the pros is almost impossible to predict.

Obviously BB sees more in the guys we have than you do, otherwise he wouldn't have traded Vrabel without a solid backup plan. We have two pro-bowl caliber starters in the LB corp, plus a platoon situation at one ILB (bruschi-Guyton) and at OLB (Woods for running downs, TBC for passing). Not to mention that we often only play 3 LBs in Nickel formations, meaning we're fine with the speed package of Mayo, Guyton, and Thomas.

If we fail this year, it will be because something else went wrong as well. If the LBs play like they're supposed to given the personnel, we still have a pro-bowl DL and a hopefully improved secondary, with 2/4 LBs at pro-bowl level as well. If two positions with adequate starters out of 11 on defense can break your defense, you've built a terrible system. I think the last decade has proven that the Patriots have NOT built a terrible system.
I admit that I was disappointed that the Pats didn't draft a linebacker
with their first pick. Having said that, I don't believe any of the 2009
linebackers would have been an instant starter.

Vrabel was traded because he was no longer a force as a pass rusher.
He wasn't going to improve over last year's stats. I believe that between
Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd, and Woods, the Pats can develop an adequate
linebacker who will produce as many sacks as Vrabel.

I admit that I was disappointed that the Pats didn't draft a linebacker
with their first pick. Having said that, I don't believe any of the 2009
linebackers would have been an instant starter.

Vrabel was traded because he was no longer a force as a pass rusher.
He wasn't going to improve over last year's stats. I believe that between
Banta-Cain, Crable, Redd, and Woods, the Pats can develop an adequate
linebacker who will produce as many sacks as Vrabel.

I think before his injury,Tyrone McKenzie had an outside shot at starting

Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins.

Enjoy scratching and clawing for 10 wins at best and a 1st round playoff exit, if you even make the playoffs, Jason.

Not to mention working for team president and noted douche bag Bill Parcells....the guy who ran him out of town in the first place.

It's definitely disappointing, but Taylor obviously doesn't want to win a super bowl that badly. If he did, he would make that one year commitment away from home. He knows exactly what he's going to get with Miami. He's going to a team that will be lucky to make the wild card at best because they certainly aren't going to win the division with Tom Brady running the show. In the end, he made the right move for him and his family. It's time to move on.

"Jason told me, 'Tell the Dolphins whatever fits their budget, I'm ready to play,'" Wichard said. "There were no negotiations. It was always going to be Miami."

Well that tells you right there where his priorities are. Oh well. Hope that Porter and JT don't get along. LOL.

Last edited:
Yes! whew, that was close.

Disappointing but my opinion of Taylor has now slightly changed, he now looks like a player that would run home to his mummy if something was wrong instead of man up.

I'm just not a fan of players that have all the talent in the world but no ambition. Taylor signing with the Phins is proof he isn't ambitious and just doesn't want to move.

Yes! whew, that was close.

Yeah, it would suck to get a potential starting OLB who is one year removed from 11 sacks for probably less than $2 million a year. Thank God the Pats didn't get a seasoned veteran to play a position that may be the weakest part of the team for short money and low risk. We really dodged that bullet.

Considering what Taylor got signed for, he would have been a low risk move which might have exponentially upgrade the position and if he didn't it really wouldn't have hurt the Pats much with cap flexibility. How can anyone actually be happy about that? It wasn't like Taylor was going to get $5 million. He probably would have cost the Pats $2 million which is isn't that expensive even if Taylor became a situational pass rusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back