PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins [Clayton: Pats offered more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further showing what a tremendous deal this was for Miami:

They traded him for a second-round pick.
They got him back for nothing the next year, at one/eighth the cap cost, and keep that second rounder.

Nice.

Ty Law and Jason Taylor, two guys now who took a lower place to play with another team instead of the Patriots.

The thought of JT and Porter chasing Brady around next season is a little concerning. That's probably my main issue with the signing. :mad:

The thought of JT and Porter chasing Brady around next season is a little concerning. That's probably my main issue with the signing. :mad:

Don't they play the same position?

They got him back for nothing the next year, at one/eighth the cap cost, and keep that second rounder.

Nice.

No, it was not a great deal. When they traded him, they got market value, no more, no less. It's a decent deal to the extent they apparently got him under market value (as set by the Patriots), but I wouldn't go overboard. The guy doesn't have the desire to play at the highest level anymore.

It stinks for the Pats because I think he still has some left in the tank.

But I give him and the Dolphins a lot of credit. He made his decision with his heart - which is what we all wish more players would do, and the Dolphins made a great financial decision and snagged a 2nd rounder to boot while losing him for only a year.

I like it better when the teams in our division are making boneheaded moves.

Nice.

It's like when Danny Ainge traded Antoine Walker or Gary Payton (I forget who), who then promptly resigned with the Celtics right after.

I thought they were both on the Dolphins team in 2007 when they went 1:15 ?

There's alot of talk about getting someone who is a pass rushing beast but if you don't have one then the coaches have to devise some blitzing schemes to compensate. I'd almost rather have good, timely blitzes than that one guy who can get a good pass rush. For the past few years it seemed like the Pats knew when to call for the blitz, but last year for some reason, every time I felt like it was prime time for a blitz, they stayed back and you know the rest of the story! I wouldn't mind seeing them blitz more liberally, put some pressure on the quarterback to make quick decisions, and hope the secondary can take care of their business most of the time.

There's alot of talk about getting someone who is a pass rushing beast but if you don't have one then the coaches have to devise some blitzing schemes to compensate. I'd almost rather have good, timely blitzes than that one guy who can get a good pass rush. For the past few years it seemed like the Pats knew when to call for the blitz, but last year for some reason, every time I felt like it was prime time for a blitz, they stayed back and you know the rest of the story! I wouldn't mind seeing them blitz more liberally, put some pressure on the quarterback to make quick decisions, and hope the secondary can take care of their business most of the time.

Last year Meri had two of the best timed/executed safety blitzes I've ever scene. If our OLB's can cover, maybe we'll be seeing more safety/corner blitzes.

Re: Official: Jason Taylor signs with the Dolphins.

Meriweather didn't exactly put up impressive stats in 2007. . . . and now he's already 10% of the way to joining Rodney in the 30-30 club.

I never said that Guyton wouldn't put up impressive stats, but based on 2008 you cannot predict that. Guyton could come on strong in his second season, but I haven't seen it yet. I just don't think we can count on him emerging at this point. We can be hopeful.

Looks like Julius is our best option right now, I say we give him a buzz soon. ;) Unless of course Wood, Crable or Redd are expecteded to light it up. Arguably our biggest problem on Defense was our Pass rush, The Jets, Dolphins, and the Bills have all improved theirs, when will we?

I guess the feeling is an upgraded (?) secondary will help the pass rush.

Looks like Julius is our best option right now, I say we give him a buzz soon. ;) Unless of course Wood, Crable or Redd are expecteded to light it up. Arguably our biggest problem on Defense was our Pass rush, The Jets, Dolphins, and the Bills have all improved theirs, when will we?

I have yet to hear a legitimate argument made for HOW we bring in Peppers without creating another hole on the team by dropping someone like Seymour (which may not save us that much anyway). My guess, what you see is what you get, aside from maybe a second tier vet who you hope can compete.

Thgis circus is over...I really would have liked him to be here...BUT...home family...ge;s FIN...now Peppers and THAT talk will all be heated up.....

I have yet to hear a legitimate argument made for HOW we bring in Peppers without creating another hole on the team by dropping someone like Seymour (which may not save us that much anyway). My guess, what you see is what you get, aside from maybe a second tier vet who you hope can compete.

There undoubtedly ways to get some cap space, the issue in my mind has always been about trade bait.

We now have 3 second rounders next year. That's some good leverage, imo.

Last edited:
There undoubtedly ways to get some cap space, the issue in my mind has always been about trade bait.

We now have 3 second rounders next year. That's some good leverage, imo.

So tell me one! Enough of this, "There are ways, dude. You don't even wanna know, but there are ways. You want a toe? I'll get ya toe. Hell, I'll get you a toe by 3:00 this afternoon... WITH nail polish... bunch of f*****g amateurs!" :D

But seriously, tell me how :cool:

So tell me one! Enough of this, "There are ways, dude. You don't even wanna know, but there are ways. You want a toe? I'll get ya toe. Hell, I'll get you a toe by 3:00 this afternoon... WITH nail polish... bunch of f*****g amateurs!" :D

Dude, what is that quote? Almost fell outta my chair!

Restructuring some contracts is one way, but I think a big time completion bonus for next year is the other obvious choice.

New England sends Ben Watson/Jarvis Green and two second round picks to Carolina for Julius Peppers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call