PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official: 2009 Patriots Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two points here, well actually one point, and one question.

1.) I like the fact that they don't have to travel further west than Denver this year, no West Coast trips is key.

2.) How many years in a row now has the annual Brady/Manning Bowl been played in Indy? I honestly can't remember.
Yes this is three years in a row, but it was three in a row in Foxboro prior to that if I recall correctly. I don't remember the exact reason but it is in part to do with the division rotation of the schedule (play every division in your conference once every three years; play each of those teams at home once every six years and home every six years.) The other times they play each other is because they both finished first in their divisions (or, ironically, both finished second last year.) I don't remember how those other two games are determined for who is home and who is away, perhaps somebody else here knows? Whatever the reason is, that's why they ended up with three straight home and then three straight away.

So, in your view Brady is good for one more W than Cassel, maybe 2?

... because it's entirely feasible to compare the situation last year to the situation this year...

In my opinion, Brady is good for "1 or 2 more wins than Cassel" with a schedule that, in April at least, appears to be quite a bit more cumbersome than that of last year.

If you think I'm shortchanging the Pats by penciling them in for 12-13 wins, so be it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see 14-2, or even 15-1, but to think that a prediction of a 12-4 record is some indication that I only see Brady as 1 win better than Cassel is laughable.

That Miami game may be moved its not a lock that it will be in prime time.. the back to back home games in sept and oct will be a game I will decide to go to , prob atl..

Schedule Advantages
================
Week #1 Bills = Lynch suspension
Week #2 at Jets = New coach/QB/system...get them early
Week #6 Titans = Roady for TEN after @JAX/IND stretch
Week #7 at TB = Roady at a neutral site (do the musket guys go to England?)
Week #9 Dolphins = Pats at home off of bye week
Week #13 at Dolphins = Dec 6th at night (heat not an issue), Fins in middle of @CAR/@BUF/NE/@JAX/@TEN stretch
Week #16 Jaguars = Jags first cold weather game of season, Indy hangover

Schedule Disadvantages
==================
Week #10 at Colts = Colts 3rd straight home game

The rest of the games seem schedule neutral or plus/minus equals out. The Colts game didn't work out so well as far as place in the schedule, but not sure how the others could have worked out better. In first 8 games have:

- 5 home games
- 1 neutral site
- 2 roadies against teams with new coaches and QBs

The 2nd half is tougher, but would prefer that over a tough start with Brady shaking off some rust. As for the 3 primetime road games:

- Every team has a "3 road games in 4 weeks" stretch
- Who is better suited to play well under the national spotlight?

Yes this is three years in a row, but it was three in a row in Foxboro prior to that if I recall correctly. I don't remember the exact reason but it is in part to do with the division rotation of the schedule (play every division in your conference once every three years; play each of those teams at home once every six years and home every six years.) The other times they play each other is because they both finished first in their divisions (or, ironically, both finished second last year.) I don't remember how those other two games are determined for who is home and who is away, perhaps somebody else here knows? Whatever the reason is, that's why they ended up with three straight home and then three straight away.

I'll try to word this correctly...

The two teams who finish in the same position play home/away by division on a two year rotation. Example:

The Pats will be playing @the team from the AFC west with whom they placed this year (@ Denver, both finished 2nd last year) and next year (presumably whoever finishes first). Last year, they hosted the AFCN team whom they placed the same as (Pittsburgh, both finished first in 2007) and they are playing Baltimore at home this year as they both finished second last year.

They played at Indy two years ago and will play there this year under the same rule as above. The game last year, was part of a different rotation where they play the entire AFC south with two at home/two on the road. In 2005, the Pats hosted Indy in THIS rotation. The 2003 and 2004 home games were part of the other rotation of games.

The expectation is, given parity, that this Indy-Pats quirk would be an anomaly.

I'm sure I have made this as clear as mud.

Kraft was just on NFL Network!! Hes great, he told NFL network to stop showing the clip of Tom Brady's knee getting injured!!! Hopefully they listen because im sick of seeing it. Just like im sick of seeing the piece of SHlT clips of Tyree catching that football!! :mad:

You've got to stop putting yourself through that torture.

I watched the Brady hit once and haven't looked at it again. Living in NYC, I have gotten quite good at avoiding watching replays I don't want to ever see again--I can honestly say that aside from during the game itself, I have not seen the Teflon Helmet catch since the SB (that's taken some fast work with the remote!). I'm thinking that maybe in ten years or so, I might be able to watch that game again...nah...better make that 20.

Schedule Advantages
================
Week #1 Bills = Lynch suspension
Week #2 at Jets = New coach/QB/system...get them early
Week #6 Titans = Roady for TEN after @JAX/IND stretch
Week #7 at TB = Roady at a neutral site (do the musket guys go to England?)
Week #9 Dolphins = Pats at home off of bye week
Week #13 at Dolphins = Dec 6th at night (heat not an issue), Fins in middle of @CAR/@BUF/NE/@JAX/@TEN stretch
Week #16 Jaguars = Jags first cold weather game of season, Indy hangover

Schedule Disadvantages
==================
Week #10 at Colts = Colts 3rd straight home game

The rest of the games seem schedule neutral or plus/minus equals out. The Colts game didn't work out so well as far as place in the schedule, but not sure how the others could have worked out better. In first 8 games have:

- 5 home games
- 1 neutral site
- 2 roadies against teams with new coaches and QBs

The 2nd half is tougher, but would prefer that over a tough start with Brady shaking off some rust. As for the 3 primetime road games:

- Every team has a "3 road games in 4 weeks" stretch
- Who is better suited to play well under the national spotlight?

That's a very good analysis...and very encouraging. Thanks!

weeks 1-16 advantages:

pats >>>>> everybody else

Last edited:
Maybe not look so much aT the schedule the Pats have, but look at the AFCE defending champs Miami's schedule :eek:

No way Miami wins this division,I would be surprised to see them at 10 wins this season with that killer second half of season games

I really think the only team that could challenge the Pats for the division is the Jets with that defense that should be (on paper) in the top 5 defenses of 2009 - If the Jets somehow acquire a decent QB before camp they could be a very tough challenge to beat in the East,but if Clemens is the QB it would help us in obtaining the goal of winning the division.

As long as Buffalo makes no major moves in the offseason to improve thier team,they will be also-rans

Without the draft and seeing these schedules I would guess the division would be something like this ...

NE 12-4
JETS 11-5
MIA 8-8
BUF 6-10

Last edited:
I think some are making too much of the schedule. Sure, it looks bad if you compare it to last year's schedule, but that's only because last year's schedule was a cake walk.

Now we are starting to see how easy last year's schedule is. I will go game by game and give my thoughts. Keep in mind that these are subject to change depending on how the teams draft as well as whether or not Brady is healthy. Picks are assuming Brady finishes the season in good health...

1. vs. Bills - Win, considering they will still be trying to figure out all the puzzle pieces. Add in that Lynch will be suspended.

2. @ Jets - Win. The Jets will still be trying to master Ryan's system. Also, I do not think they will settle their QB quandry at this point.

3. vs. Falcons - Win. The Falcons do not have the firepower to match us yet. Ryan will most likely have problems vs. a Belichick defense on the road.

4. vs. Ravens - Possible loss. We always seem to have problems with the Ravens. Only wildcard is the Rex Ryan loss and his simultaneous raping of the defensive roster.

5. @ Broncos - Win. Denver is rebuilding both sides of the ball and Josh will not likely have the personnel in place to compete.

6. vs. Titans - Win. Without Haynesworth, the Titans are a different defense. Our D will stop Tennessee's run game. Kerry Collins will not be enough to beat us.

7. @ Bucs - Win. London game but the Bucs are eyeballs deep in a rebuilding process. This should be a slaughter.

8. Bye week.

9. vs. Miami - Possible loss. It's the Doofins, people. They always give us, at the very least, a run for our money.

10. @ Indy - Possible loss only because they're the Colts. IMO, I think we will pull this one off. The only thing we know for sure (with the new staff) is that Manning will still be QB. That is scary enough in itself. He will still have the same offense to throw to as well. I think we'll win though. Why? Will their defense be able to slow down our offense? Will Manning be able to score against a younger and revamped Belichick defense?

11. vs. Jets - Possible loss. It all depends if Ryan works out. My opinion? I think we beat the Jets. But that's me...

12. @ Saints - Win. This is going to be a shoot out though, no matter how much our defense improves from 2008. I still don't see the Saints having a D though.

13. @ Miami - Possible loss. It's the Doofins, people. They always give us, at the very least, a run for our money.

14. vs. Panthers - Win. I don't like Delhomme's arm in New England weather in December and I don't think their running game can do that much damage against our defensive line.

15. @ Bills - Win. The Bills are going about it the wrong way. They are trying to outscore us instead of trying to stop us with defense.

16. vs. Jacksonville - Win. Jacksonville still won't be able to stop us and Garrard isn't the type of QB to give our defense a lot of fits. Plus, I think Del Rio is either fired already (by the time this game comes around) or is on the hot seat.

17. @ Houston - Possible loss. Only because it's a trap game. We can either have playoff seeding wrapped up and rest our starters or we could be jockeying for position and have to play everyone.

I only see five POSSIBLE losses on our schedule with one possibly being a junk time game. Call me a homer all you want but that is my opinion.

Last edited:
Maybe not look so much aT the schedule the Pats have, but look at the AFCE defending champs Miami's schedule :eek:

No way Miami wins this division,I would be surprised to see them at 10 wins this season with that killer second half of season games

I really think the only team that could challenge the Pats for the division is the Jets with that defense that should be (on paper) in the top 5 defenses of 2009 - If the Jets somehow acquire a decent QB before camp they could be a very tough challenge to beat in the East,but if Clemens is the QB it would help us in obtaining the goal of winning the division.

As long as Buffalo makes no major moves in the offseason to improve thier team,they will be also-rans

Without the draft and seeing these schedules I would guess the division would be something like this ...

NE 12-4
JETS 11-5
MIA 8-8
BUF 6-10

I don't see how the Jets win 11 game with no QB, no WRs, a starting RB who will 31 at the start of the season, and a defense that was one of the worst pass defenses in the league last year. I don't know how they will be a top 5 defense on paper this year when they were 16th last year (18th in points allowed). I don't know how adding Bart Scott, Lito Sheppard (who was the Eagles' fourth CB last year), Jim Leonhard (a Bills scrub until last year when he was surrounded by Ed Reed, ray Lewis, Part Scott, Haloti Nata, Terrell Suggs, etc.), and Marques Douglas (an aged journeyman) makes them a top 5 defense on paper. Other than Scott, I don't know if any of their additions are guaranteed a starting position on an average defense. I think you are falling into the trap of looking at the names they acquired and not actually looking at the production.

Ryan might turn that team around in a year, but I think they are in for a long season. I definitely don't see them as a team that is one win worse than the Patriots.

Last edited:
For those who are saying this year will be easy, just because Brady is back, please get your head examined. Brady doesnt play defense, or catch the balls. So even if he were playing last year, there are no guarantees they make the SB.

As for this years schedule? eh. They win the division, probably at 12-4. It all depends on the defense. I do think they will get off to a shaky start. They win some (bills, jets,ravens, broncos), but i think the first half will be a little ugly. Once they get their groove on (after the bye), i think they tear it up, and finish the BB 'nfl gfy' tour. :D

I don't see how the Jets win 11
Ryan might turn that team around in a year, but I think they are in for a long season. I definitely don't see them as a team that is one win worse than the Patriots.

actually, i see the bills in 2nd, not the jets. Jets, and fins go backwards this year. The bills will not overtake us, but i think they will put up a fight. I'll say 9-7 for the bills. They'll lose some close ones, and that way they can be hyped up for 2010. Isnt that the year they move to Toronto? lol. :D

I think the schedule is a tough one, especially with the long trip to London (I'm not complain to much) but we have the fire power to stop what comes our way. I will say 13-3/14-2.

Also, with Houston being slot of peoples 'wildcard' team, we could help them if we rest our starters, could help them get into the playoffs if they need the win :)

1. vs. Bills - Win
2. @ Jets - Win
3. vs. Falcons - Win.
4. vs. Ravens - Win.
5. @ Broncos - Win
6. vs. Titans - Loss
7. @ Bucs - Win. i'll be there :D
8. Bye week.
9. vs. Miami - Win
10. @ Indy - Win/Maybe Loss
11. vs. Jets - Win
12. @ Saints - Win
13. @ Miami - Win
14. vs. Panthers - Win
15. @ Bills - Win
16. vs. Jacksonville - Win.
17. @ Houston - Win

I'm pretty happy with the schedule and if i look at the acquisitions we already made and the 11 draft picks we got in the draft, than i can only see us losing two games.
I feel like the Titans still have a pretty strong D even without Haynesworth and i will never underestimate the game @ the Colts. Of course the Brady factor will have a huge impact, but i think he'll be as good as he was before the injury.
So i'm thinking 14-2/15-1

Last edited:
Very hard to go up and down a schedule and go win loss win loss.. to tough to judge, 12-4 is possible, my guess its at miami , no indy and Balt .. Again its all a guess.

Why is the world would you guys care who you play and when?

2 season's ago your team went undefeated

Last year the team was 11-5 without Brady.

Sorry guys, you are too funny!

Last edited:
I like the fact that our toughest potential matchups (based on who those teams were last season) are at home. I think with Tommy back and just what we've done to date we very possibly are a team that sweeps at home once again.

Ergo if we split on the road we're 11-5. I don't think we lose 4 of those road games. I think Miami absent the surprise factor is the team we watched get booted out of the playoffs with their tails between their legs and by week 10 the Chad Henne experiment could be underway in Miami which would mitigate any back to back road issue. I think Rex Ryan's defense will be wasted on Rex Ryan's non existent offense. I think the Bill's should have fired Jauron and skipped the flirtation with TO. I think we can sweep the division once again.

I never assume we'll go 16-0. There are some potential tough matchups and there will be a couple of win ugly tight games and a shoot out or two where a blown coverage or tipped ball could tip the balance. Denver could be interesting if Josh spends his draft picks well and Orton is what he thinks he is. NO will likely be one of the shootouts but we've generally handled NFC teams pretty well in season in the Brady era.

Indy is really a wildcard. It's on the road as usual and Peyton will be healthy and looking to rebound from 2008, but it remains to be seen what the post Dungy/Harrison Colts will shake out to be.

If all goes well KOC could get his first meaningful 3 quarters of snaps in the NFL @ Houston.

I think 14-2 is well within this teams reach. I think this year 11 wins takes the AFCE because I don't think any of NY, Miami or Buffalo gets to double digits. Tough to say what it will take to garner home field throughout but I don't see Tennessee dominating their division again, Pittsburgh could have a little more of a fight on their hands unless Ratginis crew mutinies playing under that insufferable ego and Baltimore's D falls apart absent Ryan and a couple of defensive cogs who jumped ship to be with him. The west could actually be more competitive than SD generally assumes it is...except for Oakland. So I think 13 wins is a lock on HFA and 12 may take it depending on tiebreakers.

I don't think Brady has to come back guns a blazing out of the gate. I think there will be a little rust to knock off but I think we can win those first three in that process just playing well. After that it's all about staying healthy, as usual. I expect a better defense from the get go. I know Vrabel has yet to be fully accounted for from where we sit and Harrison is likely done, but Bill knowing that in March will account for it between now and September.

Why is the world would you guys care who you play and when?

2 season's ago your team went undefeated

Last year the team was 11-5 without Brady.

Sorry guys, you are too funny!

Hang around and wait 'til you see when we lose A game or even win some by margins or schemes that certain fans aren't comfortable with...that's an even bigger hoot! This fan base alternates between utter arrogance and the sky is falling utter panic, sometimes on a snap by snap basis. That's what happens once you achieve entitlement in NE sports.

Heard a caller on WEEI the other day who was finished with that stiff KG and called him the JD Drew of basketball...LOL And at 2-5 Sox fans who two weeks ago in ST were already planning the next parade based on a 7 deep rotation are already lining up on the Tobin Bridge before all the best launching spots are taken. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes