PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ocho or Taylor Price..please stand up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocho did step up on sunday...but Brady missed him MORE THAN ONCE!!!

The last time the Giants beat us was a game much like yesterdays...and Moss was on the roster and on the field for most of the offensive snaps. Didn't make much of a difference. For many of the same reasons. Moss couldn't beat double coverage down the stretch even in 2007. And this OL couldn't pass block that day to save their souls. A lot has changed since then, however the outcome remains the same.

Yes - I'd say the point in 2007 was that the offense was incredibly over-focused on Moss and Welker - at the start of that season teams were worried about Stallworth and other receiving options. For whatever reason - playcalling from the OC or simply Brady's play calling from the line of scrimmage, the defenses learned that Brady was going to go to Moss or Welker, and that Stallworth or other receivers just weren't going to be looked to by Brady.

The Giants had that figured out in the season finale as well as the Super Bowl.

Yesterday was not so different - however it was even easier for Defenses knowing that there was no deep threat.

What's clear is that any offense cannot be overly focused on a few players - variety - a running game, a deep game etc. is essential to long term success.

Many here will cite statistics to deny what the eyeballs can see - its the same folks that strongly asserted that the offense needed no changes in 2006 because we had the #6 offense with Reche Caldwell catching 5 yard passes.

But statistics are misleading and the eyeball test usually tells the full story.

Now let's hope the eyeball test that suggests Ocho was getting some separation was accurate and pays off in next week's game - because as much as we all hate Rex Ryan, he does know how to exploit offensive weaknesses.

Yes - I'd say the point in 2007 was that the offense was incredibly over-focused on Moss and Welker - at the start of that season teams were worried about Stallworth and other receiving options. For whatever reason - playcalling from the OC or simply Brady's play calling from the line of scrimmage, the defenses learned that Brady was going to go to Moss or Welker, and that Stallworth or other receivers just weren't going to be looked to by Brady.

I've long thought the first chink in 2007's armor was when Sammy Morris got hurt (in the Dallas game, I believe). That hurt the running game and the run/pass balance (which was always slanted to pass, sure, but it was more reasonable before he was hurt).

Ocho did step up on sunday...but Brady missed him MORE THAN ONCE!!!

Agreed, Ocho was getting open, but Brady missed him a couple of times. He and Brady also clearly weren't on the same page on at least one throw, which I'm inclined to blame on Chad by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News