PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ocho or Taylor Price..please stand up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still interested in Slater. He's got the speed, and as a gunner, doesn't he pretty much make a living by exhibiting the same type of skills required to beat press coverage?

MAYBE Price could be a weapon if ever healthy, but it's not like he set the world on fire even in preseason.

Was actually encouraged that Ocho beat his man a few times. At this stage of his career, my expectation for him is 3rd WR. I'd be happy with 2-3 catches/game.

I'm fairly positive that Hernandez is still nowhere near 100% -- he looks slow and a bit stiff compared to week 1.

Was actually encouraged that Ocho beat his man a few times. At this stage of his career, my expectation for him is 3rd WR. I'd be happy with 2-3 catches/game.

You're happy with a 6 million dollar wide receiver only catching 2-3 passes a game?

I am still interested in Slater. He's got the speed, and as a gunner, doesn't he pretty much make a living by exhibiting the same type of skills required to beat press coverage?

MAYBE Price could be a weapon if ever healthy, but it's not like he set the world on fire even in preseason.

I'm fairly positive that Hernandez is still nowhere near 100% -- he looks slow and a bit stiff compared to week 1.

Haven't seen Slater other than on the coverage teams since he put the ball on the deck against Dallas. That's not going to earn you a lot of snaps on a Belichick team. He has a grand total of ONE reception for 46 yards (season opener against Miami) in his career in NE.

Slater is like putting me at wideout in the day. All speed, poor hands and poor ball convergence skills. That said, it's so desperate that I'd give it a try assuming he doesn't belcown himself during weekly practice.

I confess to being totally flummoxed by the latest in a series of unending Price injuries. WTF? We're seeing that some athletes are simply not constructed to withstand NFL contact or even girly mon practice sessions. Remember Wheatley? and my man "The Crab" Crable?

Last edited:
You're happy with a 6 million dollar wide receiver only catching 2-3 passes a game?

Certainly, I'd be happier with that kind of production than 9 receptions over 8 games! Ideally, I thought he would push Branch for snaps, but it has come increasingly into focus that is not the plan.

As an aside, from where are you getting your numbers? Rotoworld indicates a $1 million salary in 2011 as part of a 3-year $11.5 million contract. Perhaps you are including the $4.75 million signing bonus, but even then, only $1.5 million of that was paid out this season. I suppose you are assuming they cut him after this season, in which case it would indeed cost them nearly $6 million for the year, but that is irrelevant to my thinking they would probably like to keep him for the duration of his contract as a 3rd WR.

Chad Ochocinco - New England Patriots - 2011 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

it would be more than our #2 receiver right now...

im positive about Ocho's progress yesterday in the offense...no real big mental errors...if brady was more accurate maybe ocho has 2-3 catches and a TD. hopefully its something they can build off of.

Last edited:
Haven't seen Slater other than on the coverage teams since he put the ball on the deck against Dallas. That's not going to earn you a lot of snaps on a Belichick team. He has a grand total of ONE reception for 46 yards (season opener against Miami) in his career in NE.

I ain't saying he's gonna be a stud. I'm just making the argument that he showed at least as much in preseason as Price, who we seem to be pinning our WR hopes on. I thought he showed flashes of being a legitimate deep threat.

More to the point, my comment was in response to the OP's assertion that we need more speed on the outside (with which I am in full agreement).

I ain't saying he's gonna be a stud. I'm just making the argument that he showed at least as much in preseason as Price, who we seem to be pinning our WR hopes on. I thought he showed flashes of being a legitimate deep threat.

More to the point, my comment was in response to the OP's assertion that we need more speed on the outside (with which I am in full agreement).

AFAIK, he is the fastest man on the team but those hands...sigh...

large_4b6b2c0fedfe41e89674493802da9146.jpg

pats7__1318800339_3520.JPG

Molewisrocks.....you cant blame ochocinco, he got open multiple times but brady threw him some uncatchable balls...a player like Moss(or if ocho/brady can get on the same page) would help this offense alot..we're basically playing with 3 targets out there when Branch goes into dissapear mode

if Price is healthy next week, throw him out there...its just frustrating when you see teams like the Jets throw Kerley out there and hes having success as a rookie...and we let our players ride the bench because brady doesnt have their "trust" the only way to build trust is to get him out on the field and make plays

I recall Aikman a few years ago talking about the difference between an elite QB and the rest of them. The former are seldom at fault when a connection is missed while the latter are often the problem when connections are missed. I see receivers bail out jags making bad throws every week. I see receivers on this offense missing easy completions and making tough catches inconsistently at best with the possible exception of Welker. I see receivers find a way to get open against us even when we are bringing pressure. When we are losing the battle on the LOS I don't see receivers not named Welker or Gronkowski finding a way to get open AND catch the damn ball. Although even Gronk had his stuggles with focus again yesterday... Hernandez is struggling mightily compared to his early season. Maybe it's the knee, maybe it's just focus and youth, although he got robbed on the INC call IMO. That's not a bad throw either, it's a tough throw predicated on coverage and trust.

Read Karen Guregian's observations about trust in the Herald today. And check out Tedy's chat on ESPN. Every throw to Chad is one Brady's isn't making to a potential playmaker... Tedy also talks about the little things that aren't being executed on offense and the fact that the defense has to be able to finish and that at this juncture it's going to be on the players and the coaches to find a way to win because the cavelry isn't riding in to save the day... He thinks on some level finally facing adversity may be good for the youngsters on this team long term who haven't had to in their limited time in the league. He also says that financial committments often drive roster decisions, which sometimes means you cut a guy rather than overpay him or you continue to waste time on a guy you made an ill advised financial committment to...

Exactly and defenses know this and we are going to see it all year long until Taylor Price steps out there and starts making plays on the outside. I am sick and tired of this "Price is inactive crap". Get his ass out there, this is getting ridiculous, every damn week with him being inactive after he showed us in the preseason that he can make plays.

Either that or call Randy in here, we need something on the outside, Branch can't beat man coverage and he does become invisible from game to game. We need a play maker out there and right now it's Price or Moss.

Dont say the name Moss or the thread will get moved and locked. Even though this is a discussion board, and people activly were discussing Moss, they still get locked..its a weird thing for a message board, but its the truth.

.....please stand up....please stand up

Dont say the name Moss or the thread will get moved and locked. Even though this is a discussion board, and people activly were discussing Moss, they still get locked..its a weird thing for a message board, but its the truth.

That's because Moss will never be part of the solution because in all the time he was here (or anywhere) he was never more than part - albeit a freakishly talented part for a time - of the problem. In case you didn't get to watch 42...yesterday was like deja vu all over again only Randy was replaced by Ocho and it was the TE who made the go ahead catch along with several more than Randy did in 42...before the defense collapsed with less than 2 minutes to left to play.

Molewisrocks.....you cant blame ochocinco, he got open multiple times but brady threw him some uncatchable balls...a player like Moss(or if ocho/brady can get on the same page) would help this offense alot..we're basically playing with 3 targets out there when Branch goes into dissapear mode

if Price is healthy next week, throw him out there...its just frustrating when you see teams like the Jets throw Kerley out there and hes having success as a rookie...and we let our players ride the bench because brady doesnt have their "trust" the only way to build trust is to get him out on the field and make plays

I can blame Ocho because him and TFB simply doesn’t work. Ocho might get open but TFB doesn’t automatically fire the ball to him like he does with Welker/Gronk, it was the same with Cassell, he needs his conscious mind to confirm what his instincts told him, there’s a hesitation for a fraction of a second and he does the exact right thing a fraction of a second too late, so things just don’t work with the relationship, and since I’m not ready to get rid of Brady than means Ocho needs to go.

That's because Moss will never be part of the solution because in all the time he was here (or anywhere) he was never more than part - albeit a freakishly talented part for a time - of the problem. In case you didn't get to watch 42...yesterday was like deja vu all over again only Randy was replaced by Ocho and it was the TE who made the go ahead catch along with several more than Randy did in 42...before the defense collapsed with less than 2 minutes to left to play.

Whether moss would help or not is not the point..the point is people want to talk about, as the evidence of people talking about it suggest, but threads still get locked or moved...

I can blame Ocho because him and TFB simply doesn’t work. Ocho might get open but TFB doesn’t automatically fire the ball to him like he does with Welker/Gronk, it was the same with Cassell, he needs his conscious mind to confirm what his instincts told him, there’s a hesitation for a fraction of a second and he does the exact right thing a fraction of a second too late, so things just don’t work with the relationship, and since I’m not ready to get rid of Brady than means Ocho needs to go.

and replace him with whom?? our WR corp is what is hurting us offensively and unless Taylor Price can get healthy and playing time or we resign Randy Moss I dont see a better option there than making the timing work between him/Ocho which after last game looks close...listen I blamed Ocho before..but yesterday wasnt on him...

lets look at our receivers after Welker.

Deion Branch- prone to dissapear for games at a time.
Ochocinco- still no connection between him/brady
Taylor Price- talented but oft injured
Slater- fast, can beat coverage deep but bad hands
Edelman- slot receiver..something we have alot of

and IMO, randy moss could help this team offensively now as a piece of the puzzle...our only options are that Ocho/Price can develop into reliable options or we take a flier on an outside receiver like Moss to be a reliable option...people can say its beating a dead horse, but rumors suggest moss is in great shape and would be open to return to the NFL..no ones scared of Deion Branch..someone else who scares defenses would open it up alot for our slot receivers

Last edited:
It's too late for Moss. He's not in football shape. That's what training camps are for, to get you into football shape.

He's not played in a year. They need to do what should be obvious. Bench Ochostinko. The guy is bad, Price couldn't be any worse.

Exactly and defenses know this and we are going to see it all year long until Taylor Price steps out there and starts making plays on the outside. I am sick and tired of this "Price is inactive crap". Get his ass out there, this is getting ridiculous, every damn week with him being inactive after he showed us in the preseason that he can make plays.

Either that or call Randy in here, we need something on the outside, Branch can't beat man coverage and he does become invisible from game to game. We need a play maker out there and right now it's Price or Moss.

exactly, if he has the talent he will make the most out of his plays/targets. riding the bench and being red-shirted will do him no good..hopefully his hammy is good to go and he can get some PT next week against the jets..can his 'tightened hammy" really be that bad when we are playing Hernandez with an injured MCL?

ive never seen another team so reluctant to play their young WR than the patriots and it just doesnt make sense..so much talk about "trust" but you arent going to build trust with brady unless you are out there on the field with him

Last edited:
and replace him with whom?? our WR corp is what is hurting us offensively and unless Taylor Price can get healthy and playing time or we resign Randy Moss I dont see a better option there than making the timing work between him/Ocho which after last game looks close...listen I blamed Ocho before..but yesterday wasnt on him...

lets look at our receivers after Welker.

Deion Branch- prone to dissapear for games at a time.
Ochocinco- still no connection between him/brady
Taylor Price- talented but oft injured
Slater- fast, can beat coverage deep but bad hands
Edelman- slot receiver..something we have alot of

and IMO, randy moss could help this team offensively now as a piece of the puzzle...our only options are that Ocho/Price can develop into reliable options or we take a flier on an outside receiver like Moss to be a reliable option...people can say its beating a dead horse, but rumors suggest moss is in great shape and would be open to return to the NFL..no ones scared of Deion Branch..someone else who scares defenses would open it up alot for our slot receivers

What point is there to putting Ocho on the field if he's either 1) not going to be thrown to, or 2) it will be incomplete? It's simply a waste of a down.

It's too late for Moss. He's not in football shape. That's what training camps are for, to get you into football shape.

He's not played in a year. They need to do what should be obvious. Bench Ochostinko. The guy is bad, Price couldn't be any worse.

China Doll Price apparently pulled a hammy standing up off the bench. That's worse.

We've got to have The Crable Award each year for such delicate players.
Glass IR Dowling vs Price for this year's.

Last edited:
China Doll Price apparently pulled a hammy standing up off the bench. That's worse.

Sorry but he didnt injure his hammy standing up, his hammy was already 99% 'injured' and the other slight movement was the straw that broke the camel's back. I've seen this with plenty of other people and I've done it myself, once my back went out when I reached for my keys, the keys didnt do it, it was the 3 cords of wood I split the day before that primed the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back