PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Obrien and Klemm

Whomever was in charge of the Patriots nutrition needs to be fired, the defense was clearly tiring latei in games, example: the Miami game. And don’t give me some pansy assed excuse about the heat, or the offense only playing 5 minutes out of 60, it was obviously low blood sugar.
Conditioning staff needs a total revamp. Too many injuries. Fatigue contributes, so does wrong conditioning. As well as poor technique. I think Bolden was a victim of poor tackling technique, for one. I’d noticed he consistently was off center, not taking the body, before and including the hit that put him out for the season.

I don't think it was a nutrition thing. I think it was a putrid offense. If your O is going 3 and out or throwing picks all the time, it's going to wear your D down.
Could be both.

Jumped from the bottom of page 1 to the top of this page 5, sorry... I don't have that strong an opinion if Obie & Klemm stay or go; they were totally sand-bagged by Billy & the rest of his incompetent toadies in the FO, but Yo Adrian's NFL coaching history was already spotty, and Obie rubs some people the wrong way...

I am sure not every single thing stated is true, that's kind of obviously to me. But using the whole where there is "smoke there is fire" phases here. You can kind of put pieces together and kind of see where a lot of things went wrong.

I think whoever solely blames O'Brien's playing calling. Doesn't realize a lot of it wasn't on him O'Brien solely. (ex: the man was not allowing to bring in his own coaches, had to keep people like Troy Brown as his receivers coach and not his own receivers coach) . I honestly, Do not remember anyone complaining about his play calling when he was here the first time. Yes we understand having Brady, but the "game plans" or "plays" didn't seem to be the same from what we seen this year.

He seemed to do a OK job calling plays when he was out in Houston and had a healthy D. Watson....Just this year I think there's a lot we're starting to see come out that everything over there was a complete and total sh*t show!
I like O'Brien.

I complained about his play calling the first time.

I actually complained a lot about a crucial play call from him.

'11 Super Bowl, Brady broke the record for consecutive completions in Super Bowl history. On mic'd up, Strahan was talking to his teammates as they were reeling and saying they couldn't stop him.

After they drive down to the Giants 40, after several completions with the Patriots running no-huddle and the Giants gassed, O'Brien ordered a big lineup out there, no WRs, extra tackles, FB and tight end. We stopped the momentum, we substituted a lot of players, the Giants had time to switch their tired guys too, and we run it right up the middle -- for a 4 yard loss in the backfield. Next pass was incomplete, and what followed was Wes Welker's drop/Brady's bad throw (whatever).

The refs on the field said to each, "That was ballgame."

All because O'Brien had to be smart.

Last edited:
IIRC half the time when O is on field he doesnt even have headset on cause he is talking to D players one-one. And I have never seen him w a playsheet in his hands.

there isn’t a lot of time there on the play clock for HC to be overriding Oc if he doesn’t have a sheet

Imo Curran is not a complete trustworthy source

I mean....you do realize the camera doesn't show everything that goes on -on the sideline, and obviously never see what goes on before the game, at half time or post game? You can't account for every moment with your own eyes because you are only seeing what the camera shows you.

If you do not think Curran is a trustworthy source, well then, to each is own. I do not know what to tell some of you at this point. Believe what you want.

Never applied that everything is true, key word is everything. Clearly there is plenty that is true if not very believable.

I want O'Brien gone. I don't like his playcalling. And I suspect he's behind some of the recent leaks. I'm not a huge fan of Klemm eiher. But I don't feel quite as strongly about him.
We, the fans, don't honestly know what Klemm brings other than he supposedly teaches different that Dante. If Wolf is the new GM, then it's unlikely that Klemm is staying unless they got their s**t figured out.

I mean....you do realize the camera doesn't show everything that goes on -on the sideline, and obviously never see what goes on before the game, at half time or post game? You can't account for every moment with your own eyes because you are only seeing what the camera shows you.

If you do not think Curran is a trustworthy source, well then, to each is own. I do not know what to tell some of you at this point. Believe what you want.

Never applied that everything is true, key word is everything. Clearly there is plenty that is true if not very believable.
Curran hasn't been a trustworthy source in over a decade. Ever since he went "National" he got an attitude.. It's why he was kicked off the national beat as well and had to slink back to the local beat.

Conditioning staff needs a total revamp. Too many injuries. Fatigue contributes, so does wrong conditioning. As well as poor technique. I think Bolden was a victim of poor tackling technique, for one. I’d noticed he consistently was off center, not taking the body, before and including the hit that put him out for the season.
Isn’t Jerod’s brother the Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach?

I'm questioning the WR coach....did you see any evidence of development out of Boutte? Thornton? Douglas?

Talking about actually being an NFL quality WR.....running good routes, making the right reads, winning battles for the ball.....I think the kid could be a solid WR down the road, o just didn't see any progression out of him beyond his playmaking ability....coupled with the lack of improvement with any of the other young WRs, I have to look at the staff for that

And that wasn't a top 5 rookie WR season for the Pats....not even close to the best ...9th most yards (if you count Hernandez as a TE), terry Glenn doubled his yardage with 6 TDs

The kid could be a solid slot guy.....has a lot to learn, and I saw little evidence of forward movement.....do we blame the QB? The OC?

Or was the lack of development consistent amongst the young WRs and do they move on from Troy Brown?

Meanwhile, the Lions have a couple of 4th rounder WRs who aren’t bad.

My comment wasn’t so much about what he does 100% of the time; but rather about a philosophy. BB always delegated and empowered subordinates. And seemed to be even more so on the O side.

curran is a known anti-BB agenda guy.

I don’t trust this kind of clickbait reporting especially from this source.

Terry Glenn had 90/1132/6TDs as rookie?

That’s what I thought, but this is what SI said a week or so ago.

Enter sixth-round receiver DeMario Douglas, who has 47 receptions for 548 yards in just 13 games. Douglas, also known as "Pop," broke the Patriots' rookie receptions record under coach Bill Belichick, previously held by Deion Branch with 43 catches in 2002.

But clearly they were wrong. Either way Douglas had a good season, especially given the QB’s who were throwing to him.

Step 1 - resign onwenu
Step 2 - sign 2 decent offensive linemen free agents.
Step 3 - draft harrison or nabers (trade down) in the draft if they run well
Step 4 - backup the brinks trunk and sign Christian Wilkins. Do not play the hometown discount card.

That’s what I thought, but this is what SI said a week or so ago.

Enter sixth-round receiver DeMario Douglas, who has 47 receptions for 548 yards in just 13 games. Douglas, also known as "Pop," broke the Patriots' rookie receptions record under coach Bill Belichick, previously held by Deion Branch with 43 catches in 2002.

But clearly they were wrong. Either way Douglas had a good season, especially given the QB’s who were throwing to him.
Don't disagree

Just think there's been a lack of forward progression out of that position group

And I like Pop......it just seems like everything he did was because of who he is, not from anything that was developed here

You are correct, there is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately like all top level management/Ownership they don’t own there mistakes. They always have a fall guy to take the PR hit. It is what it is and it will remain that Way.
No, owners don't own up to the media and fans for their mistakes.

They are the bosses. They make the final judgements. There is no one to own up to.

Don't disagree

Just think there's been a lack of forward progression out of that position group

Trying to evaluate their receivers and position coach with Jones and Zappe throwing to them is no different than trying to evaluate Jones and Zappe with Patricia as their coordinator, it can’t be done. The results suck, but it’s impossible to know who is at fault. I was willing to give Jones and Zappe a mulligan and they demonstrated that it wasn’t just the coordinator that sucked. I have no idea if Brown is at fault, or if it’s what he has to work with. It’s certainly not his fault that Thornton, Parker, and JuJu were rarely available, and Douglas and Bourne played well when they played. So my point is not that Brown is a good coach, but that it’s difficult to judge him given the circumstances, and given the fact that we have limited knowledge of what assignments WR’s had on any given play, how they fulfilled them, and whether they were using proper techniques or not. You seem to think you know that, so go ahead and tell us how you know it.

I can judge the coordinators and unit coaches to some degree by their efficiency and discipline as units, but judging position caches without knowing these things is pretty much impossible.

Don't disagree

I don’t disagree with that statement, what I am saying is that’s it’s difficult to assign the blame for it.

I don’t disagree with that statement, what I am saying is that’s it’s difficult to assign the blame for it.
I agree.

However, I think that the OC should be allowed to choose his position coaches, not forced to keep what the team had before he was hired.

I would like to see our 2024 OC have those choices. If more oversignt that Mayo is needed, then Mayo should hire an assistant coach like Josh to help.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back