PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hoss-Y Juke; Mac->Douglas

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
So I believe this video of BoB coaching Hoss-Y Juke has been discussed before on this site, but it's worth putting it together with another article on BoB that has been discussed here, as well as a video of Brady->Edelman out of empty.

First the coaching video - the basic concept is to try to have your quickest receiver be covered by the Mike

Next the great BoB article - you really have to read this multiple times to appreciate it.

Finally the video of Brady->Edelman out of empty - these are all option routes by Edelman (in, out, sit):

Last few years we have lacked a quick receiver to run this properly - we now have Douglas.

So my prediction is that Mac->Douglas out of empty Hoss-Y Juke is going to be a staple this year. Now Mac isn't Brady and Douglas isn't Edelman, but I think both Mac and Douglas are good enough for this concept to thrive.

Last edited:
Juju should be able to run this no problem too

Can Gesecki?

This route concept with Brady at Pats and at Tampa Bay - how it works vs different coverages:

So I believe this video of BoB coaching Hoss-Y Juke has been discussed before on this site, but it's worth putting it together with another article on BoB that has been discussed here, as well as a video of Brady->Edelman out of empty.

First the coaching video - the basic concept is to try to have your quickest receiver be covered by the Mike

Next the great BoB article - you really have to read this multiple times to appreciate it.

Finally the video of Brady->Edelman out of empty - these are all option routes by Edelman (in, out, sit):

Last few years we have lacked a quick receiver to run this properly - we now have Douglas.

So my prediction is that Mac->Douglas out of empty Hoss-Y Juke is going to be a staple this year. Now Mac isn't Brady and Douglas isn't Edelman, but I think both Mac and Douglas are good enough for this concept to thrive.

Great post.

This QB School video that was recently posted elsewhere includes a Hoss Juke attempt by Mac:

Yeah, and how the defense does a great job of shutting it down.

This post should be a MUST read for anyone who wants to post about the Pats offense this season. AND the OP is right it really needs to be read twice because the info in it is deep and dense. You can't really get it in just one passing (at least I couldn't). The second read sort of cemented what the author was trying to convey.

Here's what I HOPE. FIrst I want to see more "up tempo" series like most of you do. It is one of the great advantages an offense can have. Defenses these days seem to be all about personnel packages with players running in and out based on down and distance and offensive personnel packages. Situational football so to speak. Up tempo undoes these defensive advantages just by basically keep the same personnel on the field.

Remember it takes a LOT less energy to pass block than to rush. The longer the drive in an up tempo series, the better your pass blocking becomes.

2nd is to see more RPO looks. Mac ran it well at Alabama. We WANT to be a running offense it will be easier when there is a threat of a pass. It really is just another version of play action pass that we all love.

3rd I'd even like to see us run a BIT of the Eagles, spread 'em and run the QB "draw". Mac is a better athlete than most think. He has the athletic ability to do this. He is also, at this point, strong enough to absorb the blow of running a couple of times a game. Now I don't want to do this 5-10 times a game like the Eagles do. 2 or 3 times is enough to FORCE the defense to try and figure out how to defend and and that meams haing at LEAST 5 men in the box with the hope that the one guy beats his man or the QB doesn't see the open hole that will ALWAYS present itself, even when the defense is holding its own. It's 6 on 5. You force the D to account for the QB, Juet sayin'

Last edited:
. FIrst I want to see more "up tempo" series like most of you do. It is one of the great advantages an offense can have. Defenses these days seem to be all about personnel packages with players running in and out based on down and distance and offensive personnel packages. Situational football so to speak. Up tempo undos these defensive advantages just by basically keep the same personnel on the field.

And last year this was another thing gone missing from our playbook, along with play action.

The Zeke addition is key - Pats now have two big RBs that can pass protect and catch, plus WRs that can block (go Kendrick!). So we are well set-up to create a mismatch against either a fast light defense or a slower heavy one.

The Pats defense on the other hand, with our three or four plus-grade hybrid safety-LBs, is well suited to match against any package.

This QB School video that was recently posted elsewhere includes a Hoss Juke attempt by Mac:

Great stuff by x-qb O'sullivan.
And shows how Pats are trying to get the ball to JuJu more, but he's not running great routes IMO.
And Parker also seems just a step too slow, especially in cutting or selling the route with quickness.
It's maddening. We know the OL issues, but WR's are going to have to help - which is why I think Bourne & Douglas are going to thrive more.

Love the hoss y juke.

It basically won us #6. Splitting Develin out wide really threw the Rams for a loop.

And it wasn't even in the playbook for that night.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back