PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NOTICE: Ratings Abuse - Knock it off, Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's a visual thing, isn't it?

Big Red X's
don't really translate to a mild "Disagree" in our Souls, because of Early ChildHood Memories...

From School.

Big Red X's translate to...WRONG!! :mad:

And that comes across as an Hostile Act.

XXX Is this better?

Much better!!
jester.gif

Disagreeing is simply disagreeing. Agree?
Technically. But the effect is psychologically unfriendly because of The Big Red X. :eek:

It takes a lot of us back to Grade School and translates into "WRONG!!!" :eek:

It's not the end of the World. Just something that I wish folks would consider.

Slacker...

Well......there is a reason why I have given so few out.

In my opinion, discussion and healthy debate of the issues is what this board is all about.

I feel that just giving/rating a post a "disagree" or "dislike" doesn't align with that belief.

Personally, I don't give them out because I like to respond to the post that I have an issue with and offer a different point of view. My preference is to have a dialogue and discuss and not just "rate" a post.

I have zero issue when I receive them (which isn't many), but my preference is for the poster to respond and state what they have issue with or what their PoV is.

It's just more engaging that way but I respect the fact that some posters don't have the time or chose not to engage that way.

I became a supporter recently. I realized how much work has gone into this site after perusing some other message boards. This board is so much better than any other I have found by a large margin. Plus it seems that posters always have up-to-date info and are actually fairly intelligent (an anomaly in the sports fan world). We even have fans of other teams that stick around and are welcomed here. Other sites scoff at opposing team's fans and do not welcome any opposing opinions. Such a great site-I spend far too much time on it. Thanks!

Yup. I believe this site is really run by BB. It's all part of his world domination plan.

Consistently great team that wins all the time and one of the best forums on the web?... coincidence? I think not.

I hit "dislike" and "disagree" on posts I dislike and disagree with. No hidden meanings. Pretty simple. And I plan to continue to do so.

I have to say I can't even begin to comprehend that anyone would actually care enough or take the time to file a complaint with Ian over "dislikes" or "disagrees". So fire away with disagrees or dislikes -- I honestly could care less. You'll notice I've never complained in public (or in private, though of course I have no way of proving that) about any ratings. Even when you started your silly thread bashing me.

And for what it's worth, I've given out 2800 likes, 6962 agrees, and 5032 winners vs 360 dislikes and 1053 disagrees. So if you did get a dislike or disagree it was for a good reason.
I don't think it would hurt the forum's productivity to explain yourself in the process. The forum is for discussion and debate. Clicking something then offering nothing else to the thread is pretty useless. But that's just my opinion and I can't remember you specifically giving me too many negative ratings, to be honest.

:)
Well......there is a reason why I have given so few out.

In my opinion, discussion and healthy debate of the issues is what this board is all about.

I feel that just giving/rating a post a "disagree" or "dislike" doesn't align with that belief.

Personally, I don't give them out because I like to respond to the post that I have an issue with and offer a different point of view. My preference is to have a dialogue and discuss and not just "rate" a post.

I have zero issue when I receive them (which isn't many), but my preference is for the poster to respond and state what they have issue with or what their PoV is.

It's just more engaging that way but I respect the fact that some posters don't have the time or chose not to engage that way.
Hey, I was joking...:)

Much better!!
jester.gif

I'll admit that it used to bother me if a "disagree/dislike" rating was not followed by a post replying as to why they disagreed but now I just attribute a "disagree/dislike" without a reply as accidental and they simply hit the wrong rating. :D

Just kidding. They don't bother me. I'm here for the laughs , the info and sometimes the debate. Oh and the occasional grammar lesson.

And for what it's worth, I've given out 2800 likes, 6962 agrees, and 5032 winners vs 360 dislikes and 1053 disagrees. So if you did get a dislike or disagree it was for a good reason.
Well that is the point here, QM. I know I've been hit with several of your dislikes or disagrees over comments I've made that were totally benign in nature, and your "disagree" seemed totally arbitrary.

I would opine that your frequent use of those icons are lazy, or like Grid mentioned. rude, rather than mean. I totally support your right to disagree with someone's opinion. That is one of the main reason's we are here. However I would think the better avenue to take would be, when you at odds with what someone says, take the time to confront that opinion directly with your divergent opinion. That is the way great discussions are started. Save your icon pushing for the trolls

BTW- can anyone tell me how to find out how many "likes" "dislikes", etc I have given over the years.

I don't care if you agree or disagree really. Just follow up with a post as to why.

Also when I do dislike a post it's usually from a suspected troll/jets fan impersonating a Pats poster with a account he made just so he can trash the forum. You can tell this just by looking at his/her post history and see that nothing but negative posts against the Patriots. I will continue to dislike these posts until they are banned from the forum or atleast talked to from Ian or another moderator. Although I wouldn't consider myself a chronic abuser. 28dislikes given and 12 disagrees.

I didn't realize disagrees were taken so seriously or personally by people. Maybe it's because I'm color blind, or wasn't in school often enough to get many X's. I simply use disagrees on posts that I fundamentally, strongly disagree with, and considered the disagree/agree counts that a post got as sort of a gauge on how controversial and "gray" a topic is. Perhaps my mild stance on disagrees is more linked to my aggressive, almost neurotic fixation to learn when I am wrong. It can be hard to see that you're wrong even when you're vigorously trying to. Sometimes a red X by a poster I respect is enough of a nudge for me to begin to learn that I am wrong about something. I welcome them.

I'll admit that it used to bother me if a "disagree/dislike" rating was not followed by a post replying as to why they disagreed but now I just attribute a "disagree/dislike" without a reply as accidental and they simply hit the wrong rating. :D

Just kidding. They don't bother me. I'm here for the laughs , the info and sometimes the debate. Oh and the occasional grammar lesson.

I'm just here for the Jennifer Connelly pics. This thread has gone downhill the last couple of pages! ;)

I don't care if you agree or disagree really. Just follow up with a post as to why.

Also when I do dislike a post it's usually from a suspected troll/jets fan impersonating a Pats poster with a account he made just so he can trash the forum. You can tell this just by looking at his/her post history and see that nothing but negative posts against the Patriots. I will continue to dislike these posts until they are banned from the forum or atleast talked to from Ian or another moderator.

Btw, not all opposing fans are trolls. Some bring a very healthy aspect to the forum

Well that is the point here, QM. I know I've been hit with several of your dislikes or disagrees over comments I've made that were totally benign in nature, and your "disagree" seemed totally arbitrary.

I would opine that your frequent use of those icons are lazy, or like Grid mentioned. rude, rather than mean. I totally support your right to disagree with someone's opinion. That is one of the main reason's we are here. However I would think the better avenue to take would be, when you at odds with what someone says, take the time to confront that opinion directly with your divergent opinion. That is the way great discussions are started. Save your icon pushing for the trolls

BTW- can anyone tell me how to find out how many "likes" "dislikes", etc I have given over the years.
Click your name in the upper right and click "go to profile page".

Can't we all just get along?

It takes a lot of goodwill and kindness.
A couple of obstacles that come to mind immediately:

1. There's a lot of free floating anxiety and hostility in society that shows up on message boards.
2. Multiple interpretive lenses. In this case, different Patsfans members have pointed out four distinct interpretations of the Ratings in the posts above:

upload_2015-12-3_9-26-23.jpeg

So, a hypothetical example:
Post from Brady6: “I think Melvin Brown should be promoted to be Pats #1 CB.”
Rating from venecol: “Like”

venecol’s possible intentions with the "Like" rating:
  • Brady6, you are a good poster
  • This post contributes to the conversation
  • I, venecol, agree with your opinion, Brady6
  • This will be good for the Pats

Possible interpretations of the “Like” rating by Brady6:
  • venecol appreciates me as a poster
  • venecol thinks this post contributes to the conversation
  • venecol agrees with me
  • This will be good for the Pats
The odds on both Brady6 and venecol having matching intention and interpretation are probably less than 50%. And given that, the odds that both of them will take the time and make the effort to be curious about what the other's intention/interpretation are slim.

This is in part why rating systems on political boards are like gasoline on a fire. It takes goodwill and kindness to make it work, or just apathy because the issue isn't that important. Imagine the same example above only the post being rated was "Goodell will probably be re-appointed." What would the intentions and interpretations of a "Like" rating be in that case?

(With apologies to the two of you for a host of reasons.)

Yeah great idea. While we're at it why don't we hand over the TSA to Iran or get China to help us out with our Government's internet security.

Don't give them any ideas...

I didn't realize disagrees were taken so seriously or personally by people. Maybe it's because I'm color blind, or wasn't in school often enough to get many X's. I simply use disagrees on posts that I fundamentally, strongly disagree with, and considered the disagree/agree counts that a post got as sort of a gauge on how controversial and "gray" a topic is. Perhaps my mild stance on disagrees is more linked to my aggressive, almost neurotic fixation to learn when I am wrong. It can be hard to see that you're wrong even when you're vigorously trying to. Sometimes a red X by a poster I respect is enough of a nudge for me to begin to learn that I am wrong about something. I welcome them.

I "liked" this post because it reminds me of the absurd amount of human difference and diversity that exists that we are usually blind to in the course of daily activity. In this case, bolded above.

I wonder if the offenders are embarrassed by this? I don't consider myself an offender (insert sexual predator joke here), but I'm a little embarrassed that there is a need for a post to halt petty, childish behavior on a board filled with so many quality intellects.

I "liked" this post because it reminds me of the absurd amount of human difference and diversity that exists that we are usually blind to in the course of daily activity. In this case, bolded above.
What a nice way to call someone weird. :)

According to sources Ted Wells and Ian were seen at Denny's just outside of Boston. Hmm...investigation incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes