PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Point in Tanking, the Future is Bleak

The 2021 and 2022 draft look like huge misses considering that 2019 was a washout.

Our drafts have been so bad that if you tank the last 6 years our best early round pick (1,2) is Dugger followed by Michel.

Even then, the Dugger pick should've been Trevon Diggs and the Michel pick should've been Nick Chubb.

This. This is what needs to be drilled into the head of the BB haters. Its HARD to build a playoff roster. There is a lot of luck involved and once you dont have that top 10 QB it become a nightmare. Changing coaches isnt going to do a damn thing.

We're discussing changing GMs not HCs... But if Bill refuses to relinquish his grocery-shopping duties for the sake of the T-E-A-M (but N-O-T to Al Groh's kid), then Bill the HC has to go too.

Even when they do nab a stud early they send him packing within a few years because they don't want to pay them and want to go bargain basement garbage.... Belichick is the reason for that ... big talent not named Brady rarely lasts in New England
It's becoming evident that Bill lets these players go because he thinks they are a product of his system/scheme. He was right on some guys, but on wrong on others.
Seymour signed 3 contracts here.
He signed 2 and he had to hold out to get his second deal.

Caleb Williams will enter the NFL with one of the strongest arms in the NFL. The throws he can make off platform & out of structure are absurd. Not sure when a 6'1" 215 lb. QB became small either.

They need a QB, doesn’t mean it has to be Caleb Williams.

Plenty of other awful teams who might finish beneath them

This. This is what needs to be drilled into the head of the BB haters. Its HARD to build a playoff roster. There is a lot of luck involved and once you dont have that top 10 QB it become a nightmare. Changing coaches isnt going to do a damn thing.
I was being sarcastic. There's typically close to 50% turnover from year to year.

They need a QB, doesn’t mean it has to be Caleb Williams.

Plenty of other awful teams who might finish beneath them
The situation though is that a couple of those awful teams won't have 1st round picks. As it stands now, the Bears and Cardinals have multiples.

This tells me that with a valuable asset (the 5th pick) deals can be made for one of those 1sts of the Bears. And it will be especially enticing if the Bears stay with Fields (who has had 2 very good games back to back). In that case, the Bears will. definitely trade one of their 2 top picks.

Isn’t a bleak future the very reason you DO tank ? What am I missing ?

Corral is no longer on the team. But agree that Jones and Zappe need to go.
I thought they had worked it out after dropping him and resigned him to the PS?

Ignoring the roster, let's look at his coaching hires lately.

If there was another coach who made the same coaching staff decisions, how would you treat them?

Isn’t a bleak future the very reason you DO tank ? What am I missing ?
The thing is the team isn't going to try and tank, the Colts did by putting Painter in but the Pats won't tank, they might suck the whole year but not on purpose.

The thing is the team isn't going to try and tank, the Colts did by putting Painter in but the Pats won't tank, they might suck the whole year but not on purpose.
I don’t think they should tank. Sadly I think they can both try AND lose…

But the OP’s title is weird.

Doesn’t matter. If what the scouts are saying about caleb and drake are true, you absolutely should want to be in position to get one as your next franchise qb then use your cap space to build around him. In 2020 we had no shot at Lawrence after starting 2-1, but now if we lose to vegas we are probably looking at 1-7 and right on pace for a top 3 pick.

Get the qb and worry about the rest later. It appears to be working out for jacksonville after Lawrence was terrible his rookie year without any help.

Scouts suck at QBs. "He fast, he throw hard. He good!" That seems to be where their excitement picks up. Like this year...multiple scouting reports talked about Richardson's accuracy issues, but seemingly dismissed them in favor of athletic ability.

The most mobility a QB needs is in the pocket to avoid rushers.

It's becoming evident that Bill lets these players go because he thinks they are a product of his system/scheme. He was right on some guys, but on wrong on others.

He signed 2 and he had to hold out to get his second deal.
Big Sey was a truly dominant player and trading him was a mistake. Not Brady big but still a mistake. And lately Bill let 3 players go over money and they all won SB rings right after they left. And if by some miracle Dallas or Miami wins this year then the number will go up.

Caleb Williams will enter the NFL with one of the strongest arms in the NFL. The throws he can make off platform & out of structure are absurd. Not sure when a 6'1" 215 lb. QB became small either.
6'1" 215 lb became small when the D linemen became 6'8" 350 lb. And from what I've read here I'm not sure the kid is even 6'1" tall. I hope the Pats don't end up drafting him.

Scouts suck at QBs. "He fast, he throw hard. He good!" That seems to be where their excitement picks up. Like this year...multiple scouting reports talked about Richardson's accuracy issues, but seemingly dismissed them in favor of athletic ability.

The most mobility a QB needs is in the pocket to avoid rushers.
Too much focus on off the charts athletic ability. The mental capability is most important. Being able to process what the defense is doing and making quick decisions is the skill that separates the great from the good and the good from the so so QB's. It is also the hardest trait to predict when going from college to the NFL.

tanking doesnt work in the NFL. this isnt the NBA where one star can change your whole franchise.

its a team sport. so if you are bad enough to tank for a top QB. that means your roster is going to be absolute garbage around them and probably ruin them. unfortunately that is where we currently are imo.

chiefs/packers did it the right ways imo. built a solid roster, were competing with alex smith. but never stopped looking for the next guy. then you were able to throw mahomes into a good situation.

chiefs didnt give mahomes garbage and say "make it work" colts are an example of a team who did and andrew luck retired because of it
100%. Brady did too. Stepped right in to a quality team.

Build a decent team and be shrewd with picking a QB.

Yep. Williams is gonna be very good

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back