PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice Clock Management Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It never amazes me how coaches demand so much of players, but then consistently do things themselves at the end of games that do not put their teams in the best position to win. How much would it cost to hire someone to sit on the side lines with no job other than understanding the 40 second clock, the clock rules under 5:00, and the details of clock management? I think there are coaches that genuinely still do not understand even the basics of when the clock gets rewound after a penalty and how the 40 second clock works.

Anyway, leading by 2, the Colts ran a first down play that ended with about 2:50 left in the game, with the clock running. The Giants called a time out -- their last -- with 2:43. There are virtually no situations in football in which you don't gain at least something by calling a time out. Calling one with 2:43 left with the clock running is one of them. It was like giving it away. They call it, Colts run 2d down, and then it's the two minute warning. If the Giants didn't call the time out, the Colts would have run 2d down with about 2:10 left in the game, and then the clock would have stopped at the two minute warning. Either way, it's 3d down after the 2:00 warning -- the only difference is the Giants would have still had a time out to call after the third down play.

They should have started their last drive with about 35 or 40 more seconds.

They seem to turn victory into defeat. This game will come back to haunt them. I'm disappointed that they let the game slip away.

I think the Colts are in trouble. I picked the Jags to win their division and they almost went one up today. The Giants imploded and had no problem on offense against the Colts. P. Manning was sensational getting out of trouble and hitting his man, but, is he going to be able to do that all season? Wasn't impressed with the running attack. It will be no upset in two weeks when the Jags come into their dome and beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News