PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice back story on Malcolm Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.
10.50" hands.

Seems freakish.

According to the link a few posts up, that puts him in the 97th percentile of WRs drafted since 1999. I think that qualifies as freakish.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I'd say considering they are 97th percentile among WRs they are freakish.

I remember people saying after Emmanuel Sanders plucked the ball right out of the sky on top of Malcolm Butler on a big third down in the AFCCG, that's what Brady needs. A guy who can go up, fight for the ball and come down with it. With those hands it would be nice if Mitchell could make a couple of those catches when called upon. He had a few of those in the highlight reels above, so I hope he can translate that into the NFL.

A question though, I've seen a couple of comments how he is no downfield threat and DBs don't need to worry about him going deep with his 4.45 40-yard dash. What's considered true deep threat speed, 4.30? Because his 4.45 is faster than the time of A.J. Green or Josh Gordon (granted, they are much bigger than him) and while they are no DeSean Jackson type speedsters I haven't exactly encountered people saying you don't need to worry about Green or Gordon going deep on you.

I think the "not a deep threat" narrative was created pre-combine, when people assumed he would perform worse than he did.

His combine measurables were very similar to Jeremy Maclin's, slightly better if anything. Emmanuel Sanders is another good comp, though his agility numbers were better than Mitchell and Maclin (and he's a bit smaller).

I think in general draftniks tend to dismiss the deep threat potential of anyone who isn't 6'2, 4.35 or faster, or both. I understand that inclination, but I don't think it reflects the reality of a league where Maclin, Sanders, Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, etc. are all considered legit deep threats. You don't have to be Julio Jones or Dez Bryant to catch deep passes. 6'0, 200, 4.45 is just fine as long as you can go up and get contested balls (which Mitchell can).

According to the link a few posts up, that puts him in the 97th percentile of WRs drafted since 1999. I think that qualifies as freakish.
I wonder if the Dobson experience caused them to look the other way on hand size. Dobson had a good 40 at 4.37, clocking in between 4.27 and 4.48, but his hands are 16th percentile at 9". Mitchell has 10½" hands and Devin Lucien 10 1/8".

I wonder if the Dobson experience caused them to look the other way on hand size. Dobson had a good 40 at 4.37, clocking in between 4.27 and 4.48, but his hands are 16th percentile at 9". Mitchell has 10½" hands and Devin Lucien 10 1/8".

Boyce's hands were only a little bigger than Dobson's, too. I agree, doubt it's a coincidence.

Wonder how many invites new WR Malcolm Mitchell is gonna get to women's book clubs in Boston area?

Great story. "How do you feel when people call you a Nerd?" " I'm proud of it"

That says a lot.

I don't think we can expect him to be a deep threat, even with his 4.45 40. It's the flip side of timed speed versus speed in pads.

I see him as more of a possession receiver, running the whole route tree and making contested catches. I think he's going to have to achieve separation by running great routes, rather than killing DBs with his speed and forcing them to play off-coverage.

I looked him up on the Measureables database and two of the best comparisons were Sammy Watkins and Hakeem Nicks, which feels about right. Hopefully he can play up to that level.

Mitchell dropped 4 passes in 2 years.

We can only hope! David Givens is the most underappreciated WR in Patriots history. He was Mr. Third Down.

That stop and go route he ran in Denver for a TD was awesome. Pretty sure that was the self safety game to. Just like Gronks against KC in the Divisonal round. Of course he got hurt but yet another player who left for bigger money when he should have just stayed. Just like Branch.

Something very David Givens-ish about him.

I would beg to differ and say, something very Troy Brown-ish about him, considering he's played all over the field plus at DB.

His experience at DB is what excites me the most; he knows what you have to do to bluff a DB, and how not to oversell it.

We can only hope! David Givens is the most underappreciated WR in Patriots history. He was Mr. Third Down.

Fred, good to see you posting more. However as this could generally be considered a positive post from you, which is pretty unheard of, I am now a little worried about your health.

I would beg to differ and say, something very Troy Brown-ish about him, considering he's played all over the field plus at DB.

His experience at DB is what excites me the most; he knows what you have to do to bluff a DB, and how not to oversell it.

I'm talking about his combination of route-running, size, hands, and really his speed (which is average). He looks like he can find open spots and snag the ball. When you think of Patriots' Wrs, there are very few who replicated what Givens used to do for Brady. LaFell maybe but only for half a year. Very few WRs were consistent on the sidelines.

Bump, if only to share this amazing article written by Jeff Howe. I've just become a fan of his and his mom. Makes it even better that he's now a Patriot.

I wonder if Lucien was drafted as Mitchell insurance. I'm a big fan of both, but Mitchell does carry those injury worries and he and Lucien have almost identical measurables/athleticism and not dissimilar skillsets. Hopefully Mitchell is on the roster day one, but it's certainly nice to have a similar receiver as backup just in case.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
The other day Bertram was demeaning Mitchell & Patriots about this story, changed the station.. someone needs to put "Beetle" out of his pompous misery.

Have difficulty understanding what is not to like about this story..

The other day Bertram was demeaning Mitchell & Patriots about this story, changed the station.. someone needs to put "Beetle" out of his pompous misery.

He's spending too much time reading books and not enough in the training room!

Wonder how many invites new WR Malcolm Mitchell is gonna get to women's book clubs in Boston area?

My favorite quote - about what he's most proud of, "That (football) came natural, it's a gift. I had to work to read."

Well, get ready to work at football.

My favorite quote - about what he's most proud of, "That (football) came natural, it's a gift. I had to work to read."

Well, get ready to work at football.

Honestly, I think that the only thing he'll have to work on is his timing with Brady.. There is something special about a kid who, not only recognizes a deficiency, but puts himself into a situation where he can excel. And that is what Mitchell has done. I fully expect him to be attached at the hip to Edelman and Gronk and to be part of the off-season training with Brady..

Just mad that Mitchell has Reese Witherspoon hitting him up to join her bookclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft