PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA's Smith: "Working to finalize" CBA through 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing a sport professionally is a privilege, not a right. Even low-round rookies make more than most doctors and lawyers and if you're lucky enough to last two or three years in the NFL at any level, chances are you're set for life financially. The orthopedic/neurological problems are prospective hazards of the trade, and any player who's worried enough about that can always quit and work 9-5 like the rest of us. Even our own Tom Brady said football players are way overpaid for what they do, and I agree. Our value system is out of whack, especially for gifted athletes who lack a real-world perspective.

Not to mention most of the players had a free ride through college so they should have a degree to fall back on, anything they make in th NFL should be gravy, unfortunately a lot of them blow the money instead of setting themselves up for life or using the money for a head start on life after football.

There are many good points here..."working to finalize" sounds like it is ALMOST there and sadly I think that is extremely false...I really doubt MOST of the real issues have even been started on much less a LOT of the real negotiations even started..much less "finalized".
Yes, it is great that they are starting earlier thna the usual last minute we have to get this done or else BS of Tags/Upshaw...I think it is a wider horizon and a much longer path with "rookies" at work here.
I do think the NFL teams need to open the books if they are seriously wishing anyone to believe their crying about finances..If they do not, it's more hiding the facts than anything else...If they were not claiming all of this and not wanting a LARGE reduction there might be less reason for all that..but not happening. They do need to have the players understand what their REAL finances are..if they wish them to go along with thei supposed truths. Show them the books...without that there will be little progress.
If the players saw them, I do think they are reasonable to work out a solid revision that will be good for all. Without that 11 looks like it could be a year w/o football or the kind of nonsense in the 80s that messed the NFL up.
Green Bay HAS to have open books for it's a public document so all is open. And I do think past NFL players and the lunch pail guys HAVE to be considered.
I am only a bit optimistic at this point..

There are many problems with "opening the books". Management has discretion how to allocate items and will often do so to minimize tax impact either now or in the future. Sometimes they'll take a current charge to offset future liabilities. Conversely they might decide to defer certain expenses to take in a later period to minimize cash outflow. All this is messey and discretionary and cam make one accounting period look more profitable or less profitable than it 'really'* is.

Problem being there is no 'really'.

Opening books would bring many subjective issues subject to interpretation and endless debate to the fore.

There are many problems with "opening the books". Management has discretion how to allocate items and will often do so to minimize tax impact either now or in the future. Sometimes they'll take a current charge to offset future liabilities. Conversely they might decide to defer certain expenses to take in a later period to minimize cash outflow. All this is messey and discretionary and cam make one accounting period look more profitable or less profitable than it 'really'* is.

Problem being there is no 'really'.

Opening books would bring many subjective issues subject to interpretation and endless debate to the fore.
Firstly..you are ASSUMING that the NFLPA does not have any accountants that would understand all of what the owners finances are all about....THAT the players would not understand any of that..there are many assumptions with that train of thought....If the owners feel that way and will NOT open the books..then their crying and wanting reductions and such should not be payed attention to..Put up or shut up...No reason to believe any of their so called truths, especially if they wish to keep it all secret WHY HOW should the players believe any of that?? Hidden economics?? Taking the words of owners making millions of dollars hand over fist..and crying poor??
AND to have debate about REAL ecomomic issues for the players and owners is not what is needed?? Pretty silly...THAT I really believe is the key to making it all work..This shell game of hiding money crying poor is something that maybe was useful a century ago...not now..

Last edited:
Firstly..you are ASSUMING that the NFLPA does not have any accountants that would understand all of what the owners finances are all about...

That is not what I was attempting to say. Of course the NFLPA will have capable accountants.

What I am trying to say is that the fustercluck from all the various and complex information, ambiguous, fraught with hidden assumptions and tax avoidance and cash management tactics will simply provide ammo for rhetoric and will not shine a clear light on the elusive concept of % profitabiity.

Why should the owners give their opponents a stick to beat themselves over the head with since the #s can be spun in many different ways?

That is not what I was attempting to say. Of course the NFLPA will have capable accountants.

What I am trying to say is that the fustercluck from all the various and complex information, ambiguous, fraught with hidden assumptions and tax avoidance and cash management tactics will simply provide ammo for rhetoric and will not shine a clear light on the elusive concept of % profitabiity.

Why should the owners give their opponents a stick to beat themselves over the head with since the #s can be spun in many different ways?

Because the owners are pointing to those numbers as the excuse for opting out of the old CBA and demanding major financial concessions from the players.

Agreed.

The information would come from the teams. The teams would certainly try to paint their picture through the data. However, even this type of data would be useful TO ALL SIDES as negotiations go forward.

Minnesota might say they are losing millions are almost bankrupt. There statements would substantiate the claim. The accountants can analyze the data and see what makes sense.

Because the owners are pointing to those numbers as the excuse for opting out of the old CBA and demanding major financial concessions from the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft