PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA - Patriots ranked 24th in the NFL By Players

NFL owners created cap space to increase thier profit margins.. more for them less for the players
You really don't understand how the cap work.

The owners get whatever they want in the CBA I'm a big union guy so I know full well how contracts work.. players constantly complain about the NFLPA..

Look it up! It's said of all the major sports the NFL players union is the weakest

So the Union agreed, but that the Union is weak? You wrote that the "cap space was created by the owners" which is not true. The owners get whatever is agreed by the NFLPA in the CBA. That might not be what you think is advantageous to the players (and I agree to some extent), but the cap space is agreed, not created by the owners.

there have been veteran FAs who have signed with the Pats for a fresh start, a last ditch effort, or a chance to win........but I really don't recall any prime free agents who have said "you know what, I am going to give the Pats a deal, because I just like them better"

have some FAs decided to stay with the Pats for less than what they may have garnered on the open market? sure......and that still happens

it's weird, all these posters on here always saying 'no one wants to come here any more' or 'there is no allure/attraction to playing here any more', yet we still here college kids saying "I hope the patriots draft me".....we still here FAs talk about wanting to play for BB, every time he is at a league-wide event there's vets talking about wanting to play for him......

bottom line, the NFL is a business......players get paid, and generally there's two types of players......players who simply chase the $$, and players who want to get paid but also want some say in where they play; historically the pats have gone after the latter, because culture has mattered here (and continues to matter).......all the other noise is just media nonsense

TV revenue is split, nothing to do with winning. If the stadium is sold out, and the TV revenue is split, winning adds only a small amount on top. The Cowboys have not won in almost 30 years, and they are still the highest valued team in the NFL.
So the Union agreed, but that the Union is weak? You wrote that the "cap space was created by the owners" which is not true. The owners get whatever is agreed by the NFLPA in the CBA. That might not be what you think is advantageous to the players (and I agree to some extent), but the cap space is agreed, not created by the owners.
Yes the NFLPA is the weaker of the major sports unions. As I'm repeating lots of players criticize thier union, they give in to the owners demands, and it is true listen to the Andrew Brandt interview he was a longtime GM for the packers.. he said the owners set the salary cap, the amount of the cap is what gets agreed upon between the union and the NFL, The NFL is nothing more than the Owners. Goodell is a face. The owners call the shots.. I'm trying to explain not argue as if I'm right and your wrong I'm just trying to explain. The union depends on the dues of the players to operate. They are supposed to have the players interest but they often don't as they should. The NFLPA again isn't as strong as the MLB and definitely NHL or definitely not the NBA.

See the owners mark thier line in the sand and leave it to the players to agree.. it was so bad in 2011 RK told Jeff Saturday we need to get the lawyers out the room so we can ratify the contract.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302_123221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302_123221_Samsung Internet.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 3
there have been veteran FAs who have signed with the Pats for a fresh start, a last ditch effort, or a chance to win........but I really don't recall any prime free agents who have said "you know what, I am going to give the Pats a deal, because I just like them better"

have some FAs decided to stay with the Pats for less than what they may have garnered on the open market? sure......and that still happens

it's weird, all these posters on here always saying 'no one wants to come here any more' or 'there is no allure/attraction to playing here any more', yet we still here college kids saying "I hope the patriots draft me".....we still here FAs talk about wanting to play for BB, every time he is at a league-wide event there's vets talking about wanting to play for him......

bottom line, the NFL is a business......players get paid, and generally there's two types of players......players who simply chase the $$, and players who want to get paid but also want some say in where they play; historically the pats have gone after the latter, because culture has mattered here (and continues to matter).......all the other noise is just media nonsense

A poster on here made a good point about judon saying he came here as he was offered the most money..

Speaking for myself, my statement is In reffence to when #12 was here.. players agreed to take less money to come here and play with Brady!

BB of course was always respected and the allure of the patriots, the winning, the culture is what attracted players here.

Brady was the biggest salesmen for the organization.. he was more than just a great QB he constantly influenced guys to come here over the years.. not all the FAs pan out of course.

Bottom line is this is still a great organization, that's in the process of resetting, and trying to get back to what they are used too winning!!

A poster on here made a good point about judon saying he came here as he was offered the most money..

Speaking for myself, my statement is In reffence to when #12 was here.. players agreed to take less money to come here and play with Brady!

BB of course was always respected and the allure of the patriots, the winning, the culture is what attracted players here.

Brady was the biggest salesmen for the organization.. he was more than just a great QB he constantly influenced guys to come here over the years.. not all the FAs pan out of course.

Bottom line is this is still a great organization, that's in the process of resetting, and trying to get back to what they are used too winning!!

who took less money to come here?

Notable names:

Edelman- 2014 chose to stay over more from giants.
Joey galloway- 2009 signed as free agent, over higher offers
Randy moss- 2008 choose to stay over more from eagles
Devin McCourty-2014 choose to stay over more offers

Ochocinco-2011 agreed to be traded here over other teams who were offering him a new contract if accepted a trade

Vince wilfork-2009 choose to stay over more money offers

Brandon lafell-2014 FA
Chris Hogan-2016 FA
Steph Gilmore-2017 FA
Chris long- 2016 FA

I could go on.. however those are some notable players that publicly said they choose to come here or resign here becuase they wanted win and or play with brady!

Dumb report by the NFLPA...sure...some teams should upgrade their facilities...

But every FA makes a decision based on DOLLARS at the end of the day. The only exception I can remember was Derrick Mason whose wife didn't want to live in New England.

Three years ago...we signed Judon, Henry, Smith, Algholor, etc....no problems whatsoever.

But LOL @ the Cardinals charging their players for dinners at the facility.....

But every FA makes a decision based on DOLLARS at the end of the day. The only exception I can remember was Derrick Mason whose wife didn't want to live in New England.

Three years ago...we signed Judon, Henry, Smith, Algholor, etc....no problems whatsoever.

The Bengals, browns were reported as well..

What makes it dumb? Because you don't like the results? They surveyed a large amount of players for this and asked questions about things important to the players. People like to think about the first 2 or 3 days of free agency when the big money is flying around but for the other 90% of guys who aren't landing huge deals I am sure a lot of these things are major factors when the money is relatively even.

Notable names:

Edelman- 2014 chose to stay over more from giants.
Joey galloway- 2009 signed as free agent, over higher offers
Randy moss- 2008 choose to stay over more from eagles
Devin McCourty-2014 choose to stay over more offers

Ochocinco-2011 agreed to be traded here over other teams who were offering him a new contract if accepted a trade

Vince wilfork-2009 choose to stay over more money offers

Brandon lafell-2014 FA
Chris Hogan-2016 FA
Steph Gilmore-2017 FA
Chris long- 2016 FA

I could go on.. however those are some notable players that publicly said they choose to come here or resign here becuase they wanted win and or play with brady!

stayed here for less isn't the discussion.....players choose to stay with a team for less for a multitude of reasons, including stability for their family, etc - NE is a decent place to raise kids, despite the taxes......

Ocho wanted to win, and was hoping success here would lead to a bigger payday

gilmore got paid top 5 CB money at the time with $40 mil guaranteed, and there were cried of overpay at the time?

long, logan, lafell? come on.....2nd/3rd tier FAs who all signed market rate contracts

no one was leaving huge sums of money on the table to sign here.....and no one is avoiding signing here because the patriots don't have a family room

I could be wrong, but I would think that players regularly have access to this info. What is likely unusual is the release to the public.

stayed here for less isn't the discussion.....players choose to stay with a team for less for a multitude of reasons, including stability for their family, etc - NE is a decent place to raise kids, despite the taxes......

Ocho wanted to win, and was hoping success here would lead to a bigger payday

gilmore got paid top 5 CB money at the time with $40 mil guaranteed, and there were cried of overpay at the time?

long, logan, lafell? come on.....2nd/3rd tier FAs who all signed market rate contracts

no one was leaving huge sums of money on the table to sign here.....and no one is avoiding signing here because the patriots don't have a family room
Buddy,

You can't move the goal post.. is what it is.. those are some notable free agents that chose to stay here or resign here for why?... to win and play with brady...

Why did judon come here? He Clearly said they offered him more money. So is mills lying? Bourne? Hunter Henry... ?

I'm not mentioning anything about about the training room. If you payed attention I asked Ian to be sure becuase the patriots renovated the facility in 18 I believe as it was shown on all access patriots.

The team and its investors also just put in another 200 million in to stadium upgrades, So I mean who really cares about what some said about the facilities.

Gillette got done over in 02, so it's not that old and outdated of a stadium..

However my original point was players took less to come here and play WITH BRADY. Over the years I just displayed examples of it Re-signing is choosing to stay and play here ochco had other options he chooses to come here rather than go to another contender. ..

Troy brown turned down millions more to stay and win with Brady. No, there were quite a few players who left plenty of dough on the table to play here.

Even though it did not work out Antonio Brown turned down millions more to come here and play with brady.

Randy Moss

In moving to New England from Oakland for a fourth-round pick (University of Cincinnati cornerback John Bowie) in a draft-day deal last April 29, Moss agreed to take a drastic pay cut from the $9.25 million he was due to make with the Raiders in 2007 (a figure that would have ballooned even further to $11.25 million in 2008) to $3 million over one year with the Patriots. Moss earned an additional $2 million in incentives from the Pats in 2007.

Randy Moss

In moving to New England from Oakland for a fourth-round pick (University of Cincinnati cornerback John Bowie) in a draft-day deal last April 29, Moss agreed to take a drastic pay cut from the $9.25 million he was due to make with the Raiders in 2007 (a figure that would have ballooned even further to $11.25 million in 2008) to $3 million over one year with the Patriots. Moss earned an additional $2 million in incentives from the Pats in 2007.
Thanks for that information, that poster is under the impression no one took less money to come here, as you can see aside from your Randy information..
I've listed FAs and players who resigned to stay here, take less and wanted to play with brady.

The great Rodney Harrison stated he choose to take less to come here in 03 as he believed in BB and saw Brady was special..

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back