PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Offseason Cuts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Rotoworld_FB
Report: Jenkins rejects 5 yrs, $45M from Rams tinyurl.com/j9dem44

Butler's going to be expensive...
I guess he thinks he is the reason they go 8-8 and are such a dominant team lol. I find it funny when garbage teams like the lions waste all of their money on like 3 players. I like Jenkins but the rams need offense.

I guess he thinks he is the reason they go 8-8 and are such a dominant team lol. I find it funny when garbage teams like the lions waste all of their money on like 3 players. I like Jenkins but the rams need offense.

They do need offense, for sure, but they've also improved the past few years on the defensive side of the ball and have managed to compete within the division quite nicely. Losing key members of their defense may offset any additions they make on the other side of the ball.

If I'm Jenkins, I turn down 9m AAV as well, and see what the open market brings in terms of other offers. The going rate for a good CB seems to be something close to that range at the moment, so maybe he's using the Rams offer as a fallback position?

However the most important piece to add remains a Pittsburgh receiver scout.

While I think we all share your concerns, Chris, we have to remember that Pittsburgh's WR scouts are drafting these players to play in a much more simplified Steelers offense.

In other words, we can't try and project what they'd be like here, due to the difference and complexity in schemes.

@Rotoworld_FB
Report: Jenkins rejects 5 yrs, $45M from Rams tinyurl.com/j9dem44

Butler's going to be expensive...

Maybe...Maybe not.

It all depends on whether or not they can agree to a mutual interest deal where he sees a drastic increase in his (nearly) basement dwelling current salary. If he wishes to become very rich very quickly, he very well may take something in the 8-9m dollar per year range, which is a pretty big change from where he was a little more than 12 calendar months ago.

If they wait until next offseason, his price may go up.

Maybe...Maybe not.

It all depends on whether or not they can agree to a mutual interest deal where he sees a drastic increase in his (nearly) basement dwelling current salary. If he wishes to become very rich very quickly, he very well may take something in the 8-9m dollar per year range, which is a pretty big change from where he was a little more than 12 calendar months ago.

If they wait until next offseason, his price may go up.

Or he may have a down season and people will remember why he was an UDFA. It's easier to say this from the outside, but in the NFL it's always wise to cash the money fast even if it's less than what he could potentially get in the market as a free agent. I think it's in the best interest of both parts to work out a deal that will extend Butler and make him paid accordingly as a good CB still in development. If he turns out to be the real deal nothing will be on his way to cash another big contract in the future.

Or he may have a down season and people will remember why he was an UDFA. It's easier to say this from the outside, but in the NFL it's always wise to cash the money fast even if it's less than what he could potentially get in the market as a free agent. I think it's in the best interest of both parts to work out a deal that will extend Butler and make him paid accordingly as a good CB still in development. If he turns out to be the real deal nothing will be on his way to cash another big contract in the future.

Not sure how much better he'll get but I think it's safe to say that Malcolm is a quality CB. They can't afford to lose him. Hope both sides can find a win-win

I watch more of the Rams than I should because my good friend is a Rams fan. Jenkins had a moderately good contract year season after being frustratingly inconsistent since he was drafted. He reminds me a bit of a less consistent Asante Samuel, insofar as he's a ballhawk who makes boneheaded mistakes. He's in no way worth $10 million per year.

They do need offense, for sure, but they've also improved the past few years on the defensive side of the ball and have managed to compete within the division quite nicely. Losing key members of their defense may offset any additions they make on the other side of the ball.

If I'm Jenkins, I turn down 9m AAV as well, and see what the open market brings in terms of other offers. The going rate for a good CB seems to be something close to that range at the moment, so maybe he's using the Rams offer as a fallback position?

And with some teams 50 million plus under the cap it's likely he will get the 10 million plus from one of them.

Janoris Jenkins

o_O

With the salary cap going up, scarcity of talent at the position, and his play last season someone will give it to him, or at least something close to it, just like the Eagles dumped a ton of money in Maxwell's lap last offseason. Bad teams never learn.

I watch more of the Rams than I should because my good friend is a Rams fan. Jenkins had a moderately good contract year season after being frustratingly inconsistent since he was drafted. He reminds me a bit of a less consistent Asante Samuel, insofar as he's a ballhawk who makes boneheaded mistakes. He's in no way worth $10 million per year.

Maybe that clown stlrambringer who only comments on Peyton Manning might actually have something intelligent to contribute to the Jenkins question.

...but I doubt it.

Not sure how much better he'll get but I think it's safe to say that Malcolm is a quality CB. They can't afford to lose him. Hope both sides can find a win-win
I think Malcolm is legit. He's reminds so much of Steve Smith (the Carolina WR...not Baltimore), only as DB, obviously. Dude's like a pit-bull (who cries once in a while).
Also, if he gets a new contract, he'll be making more than Brady and he can pay him back for that truck :)

p.s. this thread might reach 18 pages before any new news of a "offseason cuts" happens.

I think Malcolm is legit. He's reminds so much of Steve Smith (the Carolina WR...not Baltimore), only as DB, obviously. Dude's like a pit-bull (who cries once in a while).
Also, if he gets a new contract, he'll be making more than Brady and he can pay him back for that truck :)

p.s. this thread might reach 18 pages before any new news of a "offseason cuts" happens.

I agree on Malcolm. He isn't going anywhere....

I agree I think Malcolm is legit and I believe he will get better too, he's only got 1 full year as a starter and with that as the basis for the criticism to come, I think he was fantastic. That being said I would like to see him making some of the plays he so routinely gets himself in position to make. It was frustrating sometimes to see him in spots where he was a half-beat behind breaking up a pass or even snagging a pick. He's aggressive, he tackles well, and he's got great hustle and recovery speed when he does get beat. I don't know if he's at the point where he can demand a top-dollar CB contract, and I and I am sure the team does not want to lose him, but I would certainly understand if they wanted to see that next step of development happen before they pay for it.

It was speculation. You said "happens". Read your post.
So a cut is not really a cut then if someone speculated on it?
Good news for Colston!

People here are starved for real news and it has to start coming now because free agency is only a week away and tags are due today

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back