PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL Divisional round game: Texans @ Ratbirds

Exactly what I was thinking and why I think Jayden Daniels is worth taking a shot at if the front office likes him as much or more than Maye.
It's not the gawdy stats, the crazy runs, or the poise in the pocket... It's the work ethic that sticks out for me. I'll post this in the Draft QB thread:

Teammates are enamored with Daniels work ethic and attention to detail. Because he routinely shows up at LSU’s Football Operations Center to watch film at 5:30 a.m. and later leave after 8 p.m., second-year football coach Brian Kelly said the staff had to adopt new policies and procedures involving player usage of the facility.

“We used to cut off players at a certain time,” Kelly said. “We gave them unlimited access to the building. He (Daniels) just lives in this building.”

So my thoughts on this game (and the Ravens). Lamar had a solid overall game. Can't say he didn't. And the Ravens D looked very good as we know them to be. But I will say before what I said several times for different reasons all game. This one had more to do with the Texans than the Ravens.

The absolutely collapse of defense in the second half was incredible to watch. While you have to give the Ravens some credit, watching Houston time and again be blown off the ball and allowing huge running holes was surprising for a team those should have been more locked in after a half of ball, not less. They way they failed to get routine tackles so regularly was almost impressive. I was considering making a drinking game out of it. And again and again they didn't seem prepared for Lamar's running. That isn't to say you can completely stop his running by being prepared, but to see what should be the 2nd best run defense in the NFL not have contingencies in place for it routinely all half long was inexcusable.

But it wasn't just the run D. They left guys open or were in position to defend a pass and just didn't. It was a defensive failure all around in the second half and there was no excuse for it. Not that it would have mattered I suppose.

That Texans offense never got out of their own way and never got much together. Take away that return TD which that offense had nothing to do with and they scored 3 points all game. Sorry, that isn't just good D. That is an offense not performing up to standards. And oddly enough, I'm not sure how much it had to due with CJ. Usually when an offense is that bad it has a lot to do with bad QB play. outside of Nico he may have been the best player for them on that side of the ball this game.

Overall the narrative will continue. Baltimore dominates yet another good team and looks very imposing. And I am not one to tell you they are not good, but something about this team hasn't sat right with me all year. And that doesn't mean they aren't perhaps the best team in the NFL either, but something does not just add up. I will not fall them frauds I as I did with the Eagles, cause they aren't. But this has been a very odd year for this team. Let's not forget this 'juggernaut' lost 3 games this year before sitting Lamar in week 17 among others players.

Yes they smashed what should be quality teams like the Dolphins, Lions, Browns and now Texans, but they also lost to the Browns and squeaked by the Rams. Yes they beat SF, who many consider to be the best team in the league. But it just seems so odd and inconsistent. Why is it a team that can demolish you at times look so sluggish at others.

This game is a great example. In comes the Texans in the first half, and they make tons of mistakes and the Ravens go in even at half time (yes I know the return TD was a big part... but still). How is a team that looked so unstoppable the second half look so inept the first half against an opponent that at times made plays, but mostly just was begging to hand it to you with unforced errors. And then suddenly looks like a team that shouldn't be in the NFL making basic technique, coaching scheme and awareness errors.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i think this Ravens team looks better than they are because of other teams having timely bad games against them or other players on those teams absolutely throwing up on themselves with particularly bad performances. Yes they beat San Fran, and Purdy throw 4 of his 11 ints on the year in that game. The Ravens have a very good D. But that isn't just about their D. They crushed Miami, but they were injured and on a downward spiral. They just dominated the Texans but did the Texans put up any resistance on either side outside of a few plays? They crushed Cleveland when a literal who played QB for them. They crush the Lions, a team that beat and was otherwise competitive with every other good team it played this year, are the Ravens just that much better than all of them? Then why don't we see proof of it on the macro view of things?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. The Ravens may win the super bowl, but they don't stand above these other teams. head and shoulders We must remember we have a short sample size of games. Personally I believe the Ravens to be much closer than the team that lost a close one to the Browns and won a close one against the Rams than a team that casually walks through top tier opponents and only happened to lose 3 of 16 meaningful games cause they couldn't be bothered to try.

Last edited:
So my thoughts on this game (and the Ravens). Lamar had a solid overall game. Can't say he didn't. And the Ravens D looked very good as we know them to be. But I will say before what I said several times for different reasons all game. This one had more to do with the Texans than the Ravens.

The absolutely collapse of defense in the second half was incredible to watch. While you have to give the Ravens some credit, watching Houston time and again be blown off the ball and allowing huge running holes was surprising for a team those should have been more locked in after a half of ball, not less. They way they failed to get routine tackles so regularly was almost impressive. I was considering making a drinking game out of it. And again and again they didn't seem prepared for Lamar's running. That isn't to say you can completely stop his running by being prepared, but to see what should be the 2nd best run defense in the NFL not have contingencies in place for it routinely all half long was inexcusable.

But it wasn't just the run D. They left guys open or were in position to defend a pass and just didn't. It was a defensive failure all around in the second half and there was no excuse for it. Not that it would have mattered I suppose.

That Texans offense never got out of their own way and never got much together. Take away that return TD which that offense had nothing to do with and they scored 3 points all game. Sorry, that isn't just good D. That is an offense not performing up to standards. And oddly enough, I'm not sure how much it had to due with CJ. Usually when an offense is that bad it has a lot to do with bad QB play. outside of Nico he may have been the best player for them on that side of the ball this game.

Overall the narrative will continue. Baltimore dominates yet another good team and looks very imposing. And I am not one to tell you they are not good, but something about this team hasn't sat right with me all year. And that doesn't mean they aren't perhaps the best team in the NFL either, but something does not just add up. I will not fall them frauds I as I did with the Eagles, cause they aren't. But this has been a very odd year for this team. Let's not forget this 'juggernaut' lost 3 games this year before sitting Lamar in week 17 among others players.

Yes they smashed what should be quality teams like the Dolphins, Lions, Browns and now Texans, but they also lost to the Browns and squeaked by the Rams. Yes they beat SF, who many consider to be the best team in the league. But it just seems so odd and inconsistent. Why is it a team that can demolish you at times look so sluggish at others.

This game is a great example. In comes the Texans in the first half, and they make tons of mistakes and the Ravens go in even at half time (yes I know the return TD was a big part... but still). How is a team that looked so unstoppable the second half look so inept the first half against an opponent that at times made plays, but mostly just was begging to hand it to you with unforced errors. And then suddenly looks like a team that shouldn't be in the NFL making basic technique, coaching scheme and awareness errors.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i think this Ravens team looks better than they are because of other teams having timely bad games against them or other players on those teams absolutely throwing up on themselves with particularly bad performances. Yes they beat San Fran, and Purdy throw 4 of his 11 ints on the year in that game. The Ravens have a very good D. But that isn't just about their D. They crushed Miami, but they were injured and on a downward spiral. They just dominated the Texans but did the Texans put up any resistance on either side outside of a few plays? They crushed Cleveland when a literal who played QB for them. They crush the Lions, a team that beat and was otherwise competitive with every other good team it played this year, are the Ravens just that much better than all of them? Then why don't we see proof of it on the macro view of things?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. The Ravens may win the super bowl, but they don't stand above these other teams. head and shoulders We must remember we have a short sample size of games. Personally I believe the Ravens to be much closer than the team that lost a close one to the Browns and won a close one against the Rams than a team that casually walks through top tier opponents and only happened to lose 3 of 16 meaningful games cause they couldn't be bothered to try.

It's not the gawdy stats, the crazy runs, or the poise in the pocket... It's the work ethic that sticks out for me. I'll post this in the Draft QB thread:

Teammates are enamored with Daniels work ethic and attention to detail. Because he routinely shows up at LSU’s Football Operations Center to watch film at 5:30 a.m. and later leave after 8 p.m., second-year football coach Brian Kelly said the staff had to adopt new policies and procedures involving player usage of the facility.

“We used to cut off players at a certain time,” Kelly said. “We gave them unlimited access to the building. He (Daniels) just lives in this building.”
Ah, the life of a college student.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back