PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We have initial 53 that might be (or not to be) the week 1 roster.
We have 8 of 10 players on PS; 2 free spots are speculated to be on account of coming roster moves.
What are the next moves?

It was reported that Keshawn Martin's name plate is still there in the locker room. It would not be a surprise to see him back (depending on injury status and probably on a new contract).

Surprisingly big number of people on another thread picked Harbor as a surprise survivor of the cuts.
This is what BB said of him today:

Expected heavy TE sets and helping the run as much as possible plus ST value should be reasons enough to see him staying on the roster even after the last shakeups.
But I just came accross one reason he might still not be the lock ...

• Another possible team to watch out for is New England. After free agency wound down, it first appeared that it was highly unlikely that the Patriots would receive compensatory picks in 2017, as they had only lost two CFAs and signed five. However, Nate Washington, Terrance Knighton, and Markus Kuhn all failed to make the team, bringing them to an even 2/2 difference. The final name to look out for is Clay Harbor, who did make the team. If Harbor were to be cut before Week 10, New England would pick up either a 5th or 6th round comp pick for Akiem Hicks.

So Harbor might end up paying for Mingo.

I think Harbor is more valuable for this SB bound team than next years 5th.

Last edited:
I think a 5th that can be traded is far more valuable than an end of the roster tight end who most predicted to be cut anyways, but there's a lot of questions that go into that calculation as well.

I suspect Martin was cut for contract reasons and will be brought back, a lot like Forsett in Baltimore. Harbor will likely to be the one to go in that case.

I think a 5th that can be traded is far more valuable than an end of the roster tight end who most predicted to be cut anyways, but there's a lot of questions that go into that calculation as well.

I suspect Martin was cut for contract reasons and will be brought back, a lot like Forsett in Baltimore. Harbor will likely to be the one to go in that case.

1) I think next year value of the 5th rd pick is pretty benign from the perspective of magical 5th ring tour for a QB that will be 40 before next season starts.

2) I would be surprised if Harbor is the first next cut. The way BB used him and talks about him and paid him Id be mildly surprised if he cuts him at all (if I understand Miguel correctly his salary is now fully guaranteed). Id be surprised also because he is not PS eligible and there are two spots to fill so one way to look at it is they are saving them for next PS eligible cuts. Waddle who would be my first man on the bubble is also not eligible. Fleming is eligible but it looks like they are keeping him as 3rd OT and 6th OL option. Karras needs to stay until one of Mason, Cooper is good to go (+ Kline had some shoulder issues). I doubt they would risk a cut with a third promising corner (and already great ST option) - JJ. Elandon Roberts can also be a risk not worth taking with KGH already gone. And I certainly hope they are not moving Foster. So in the end we are coming to Harbor again, but Id still be surprised.

EDIT: I just reread the paragraph about the possible conditional pick for Harbor and saw the condition was for him to be released before week 10. Well, that would not surprise me.

Last edited:
Kind of hoping to see K.Martin brought back. I'd like to see a bit of a longer look at him, assuming that he can stay healthy.

Won't be surprised if Harbor departs when we get Nink & Brady back in week 5

Won't be surprised if Harbor departs when we get Nink & Brady back in week 5

Yeah, there are only so many roster spots and Harbor isn't going to play as long as Gronk and Bennett stay healthy.

Harbor has value but inline blocking it not a strength of his.

They can't lose what Develin brings to the team's offensive scheme again. I think that is why Harbor is still here.

If Harbor were to be cut before Week 10, New England would pick up either a 5th or 6th round comp pick for Akiem Hicks..
Gone after they activate PUP guys and no TE is injured

Akeem Ayers is available........too bad they extended Freeny

I doubt he stays till week 10.

Brady/Nink come back and Lewis and maybe Vollmer will be back too.

Ideally Martin comes back as well as I think they will use him more than Harbor at least with Brady. With Jimmy I can see keeping a 4th TE just to run more but with Brady you want to pass more and Martin > Harbor as a pass catcher and weapon. Also you will need less blocking help from TEs when Cooper/Mason recover.

I think we get the comp pick for Harbor and improve the roster at the same time.

Akeem Ayers is available........too bad they extended Freeny

No spot for him. I would not cut Freeny for Ayers with this team as is. Ayers is the better player but Freeny is a big body LB* who can at least represent the Hightower role. I see no reason to play Ayers over Mingo who is more explosive as the pass rush LB though Ayers is better in coverage. However for coverage we have McCellin. So while i tend to be a believer in sign the best player I also believe in not too much redundancy at the cost of something else.

Last edited:
No spot for him. I would not cut Freeny for Ayers with this team as is. Ayers is the better player but Freeny is a big body TE who can at least represent the Hightower role. I see no reason to play Ayers over Mingo who is more explosive as the pass rush LB though Ayers is better in coverage. However for coverage we have McCellin. So while i tend to be a believer in sign the best player I also believe in not too much redundancy at the cost of something else.

I disagree......not only is Ayers a better player, but he's more versatile though don't recall his value on special teams

I think we should be signing Cecil Shorts right now.

Familiarity with our terminology and he could excel here.

No spot for him. I would not cut Freeny for Ayers with this team as is. Ayers is the better player but Freeny is a big body LB* who can at least represent the Hightower role. I see no reason to play Ayers over Mingo who is more explosive as the pass rush LB though Ayers is better in coverage. However for coverage we have McCellin. So while i tend to be a believer in sign the best player I also believe in not too much redundancy at the cost of something else.

Ayers is listed 6'3 255
Freeny is listed 6'2 255

Curious as to how Freeny is "big bodied" but Ayers is not?

Ayers is listed 6'3 255
Freeny is listed 6'2 255

Curious as to how Freeny is "big bodied" but Ayers is not?

I though Freeny was 270. May need to check up on that i guess.

Kind of hoping to see K.Martin brought back. I'd like to see a bit of a longer look at him, assuming that he can stay healthy.
I don't think you will see him if he is on the roster. Where are his reps?
We are a 2 TE offense. I believe we will be 2 TE on 3rd down as well, except maybe 3rd an very long.
Edelman and Hogan are 1 and 2, and Amendola will get some snaps, but I don't see the role for a 4th WR, much less a 5th.
We could seriously have games with only 3 active WRs, which has happened in the past, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference