PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Era for defenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RG3, Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick, the rising stars of the NFL. They all have one thing in common: mobility. In the next few years when they get more experience, they will be even more dangerous. We can also assume, since it is a copy cat league, we could very wrll see a slew of fast mobile qb's being drafted.

Our front 7 is very stout as well as very good, but they are not very fast, I believe that the future of our defense should be to cater to these new mobile qb's. Since it is very likely the Superbowl will be reprsented by one of them. The Giants showed the last few years what a fast defense can do and now the Seahawks are evolving this idea even further putting themselves ahead of the game with tremendous results.

How do you guys feel about this? Is this a new era for QB's and defenses?? Will our defensive philosophy be outdated?

New? Not even.

Michael Bishop was the Pats Russell Wilson. What might have been.

These new crop of mobile QB's are vastly different in that they are actually very good and accurate throwing the ball. Even If they weren't mobile all of these guys are pro bowl potential passers, the running game just gives them another element. Plus these guys with the exception of RG3 are taught to slide before they come into contact which could extend their careers. The fact that these 4 are emerging at the same time could usher in a new age.

With that said I think fast defenses are the future.

Wrong on the current qb's being so superior to the last wave. Or at the least, you're blowing your wad way too fast. Vince Young was considered to be the future. Vick also.

Fast defenses are the future? Are they slow now?

It's different now. When have you had 5 players (RG3, Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Cam Newton) who are very mobile yet accurate in the pocket at the same time?? I don't think its ever been done Remember i said mobile AND Accurate.

Luck is accurate? Gimmee some of what you're smokin'. :singing:

Mobile QBs aren't new. Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach and Steve Young were all mobile guys. Colin Kaepernick is basically Randall Cunningham..
To me "mobile" means ability to move within the pocket, and "scrambling" indicates the ability to gain positive yards with the legs.

I mention this because I don't see the new breed as being trained to scramble for a living (like Tarkenton and the Eagles' version of Cunningham) even though they can. I see them as having that threat, but not using it nearly enough to be called a scrambling QB. I see them as being good at exploiting a play when it breaks down, but I don't see any coaches asking them to be an old style Vick, Cunningham or Tarkenton.

To me the ultimate mobile QBs were (amongst others) Brady and Marino. What they could do with a little two step shuffle was simply make 'em miss, buy another second, and blast the laser. That's the objective. Buy another second and a half, and release quickly. To me that is a great mobile QB. Anybody that takes off running enough to lead the team in rushing is not a mobile QB to me. He's a scrambler and a runner.

Drew was my all time favorite non-mobile QB. What that guy could have done if had taken dancing lessons, and worked on pocket awareness!

Last edited:
QBs win by passing... period. Running is really not relevant at all.

It's different now. When have you had 5 players (RG3, Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Cam Newton) who are very mobile yet accurate in the pocket at the same time?? I don't think its ever been done Remember i said mobile AND Accurate.

A good to great quarterback needs a reasonably strong arm, (not necessarily a cannon), accuracy, and, perhaps most importantly, the ability to read the defense, checkdown for the proper offensive response, and the talent to go through his progression of receivers while keeping his composure in the pocket.

The hype that accompanies "athletic" (as if TB isn't an athlete) quarterbacks almost always ignores the last of these factors. Being able to run is a secondary asset when it comes to quarterbacking, almost like looking for a field goal kicker who can do 40 reps on the 225 lbs bench press test. And, as one sage said, there may be many good young running quarterbacks, but there are no good old running quarterbacks.

A good to great quarterback needs a reasonably strong arm, (not necessarily a cannon), accuracy, and, perhaps most importantly, the ability to read the defense, checkdown for the proper offensive response, and the talent to go through his progression of receivers while keeping his composure in the pocket.

The hype that accompanies "athletic" (as if TB isn't an athlete) quarterbacks almost always ignores the last of these factors. Being able to run is a secondary asset when it comes to quarterbacking, almost like looking for a field goal kicker who can do 40 reps on the 225 lbs bench press test. And, as one sage said, there may be many good young running quarterbacks, but there are no good old running quarterbacks.

Please stop making such clear, accurate sense...I'm getting confused...
hippyguy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back