PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England field condition is INEXCUSABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NOPE!

AzPatsFan said:
No its not!

The Celtics BG parquet was sometimes referred to as the "seventh man". I was fortunate enough to actually play on the parguet for a winter high school tourney and there were really "dead spots" where the ball just wouldn't bounce right. The Celts knew where they were, and the visitors didn't. If its good enough for Red Auerbach, its good enough for Bill Belichick. Even the discussion of the parquet, served to psychologically effect the opposition. Same with the field.

They're always looking for an edge. ;)

What he said. Also remember the RATS that Red used to always warn the opposing coach about. He'd always stop by the visitors' locker room and mention that several large RATS were spotted earlier and that the RAT exterminator was on his way to deal with this RAT problem. And yes he used to say RAT the way I'm typing it. Just to make sure everyone heard him.

There's just no way a billion-dollar organization that's so sophisticated and superior in the hard tasks doesn't have the field exactly the way they want it. A putting green is impossible since Football players are men and not Golfers; but there's a range the NFL will allow and the Pats wanna be on the muddy edge of that range.

Patriotic Fervor said:
Well, yes, for one team....unless there's 5½ players to team nowadays....or unless they're playing against themselves....but hey, what do I know?

Ah, it could be 5 a side and one ref.... :D

Atlanta Patsfan said:
While the field has never looked really good, it's never looked this bad. I couldn't believe that it looked this crappy for the first game! I remember the NFL forcing the team a few years ago to replace the grass in the middle of the field. I've seen high schools with better fields!

I think the league got involved with the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium a couple years ago. Their field was always really crappy halfway through the season and sometimes they would even re-sod the field, but I think that eventually the league told them that something had to be done. They ended up putting field turf down.

Re: NOPE!

AzPatsFan said:
No its not!

The Celtics BG parquet was sometimes referred to as the "seventh man". I was fortunate enough to actually play on the parguet for a winter high school tourney and there were really "dead spots" where the ball just wouldn't bounce right. The Celts knew where they were, and the visitors didn't. If its good enough for Red Auerbach, its good enough for Bill Belichick. Even the discussion of the parquet, served to psychologically effect the opposition. Same with the field.

They're always looking for an edge. ;)

Okay, point taken but I think the Pats are walking a fine line with the the league. I know Kraft's got a lot of pull in the NFL but sooner or later they'll make him resod it.

I just hope Gost, Brady or any other Pats player for that matter don't turn an ankle over on that sandbox of a field.

I agree that the Football pitch is a joke. Midfield play, short passes and dribbling are next to impossible. It's all those fat blokes in tight trousers and their silly shoulder pads....

Ooops, sorry, wrong website! :D

I laughed out loud when I got my first glimpse of the field for the home opener....there is no way a field looks that bad unless they wanted it to.

The bad field cost the Dolphins 3 points.....fine with me.

CTPatsFan said:
Actually the field has everything in place to make it look like a putting green, if that was the desired effect. Sub-surface drainage, state of the art 3-zone heating as well as forced air circulation to get air to the rootzone if needed. No expense or step was spared during the construction of the field surface. Every single layer from the very first crushed rock base layer to the sand/soil rootzone mix was screened, sized and inspected then laser-graded. I've seen it first-hand. The "blame" for the field appearance can layed at some peoples' feet, but not at Kraft's. All the tools are in place, whether they get used or not is determined by someone else.

The main problem is that despite having a covered practice facility with the latest generation field turf, the field is usually practiced on during the week in addition to the Revolution games and miscellaneous on-field event. Turf needs time to recover. It never gets it.

-CTPF. grASS-MAN.

You and FBN need to have a debate. Seriously. Very interesting.

Now that I've sold my house I can really enjoy a good lawn tutorial.:D

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Today's press conference.

"Patriots coach Bill Belichick held his Monday press conference (2:45 p.m. ET) and was asked about the Gillette Stadium playing field:

“The field is in terrible condition," he said. "I don’t think anybody in this organization is happy about it, or thinks it’s in good condition. We’ll see what we can do about it. I can’t tell you exactly what that is, but that’s the best I can do. … We’ll see what the options are and see what we can do. It’s October, it’s not like it’s peak growing season."

seattlesapphire said:
Please tell me that you do landscaping for a living. ;)

Loam lover.

:X Sapphire

No...just a lawn fanatic ... did alot of research 20 years ago when my 2 oldest were babies and we bought a horendous fix me up special...we loved the potential of the yard... :rofl: ... tell me that isn't backwards.

Money is not the issue. The Patriots must feel that the poor field conditions favor the Patriots, otherwise they could have it re-sodded in 4 hours. Remember a few years ago, the NFL, to the disapproval of the Patriots, demanded that the beaten-up field at Gillette Stadium be re-sodded just prior to a playoff game. Perfect home field conditions, in any sport, reduces the home field advantage. The quirky field dimensions of Fenway Park and soft spots in the parquet flooring at the old Boston Garden, for example, always gave an extra advantage to the home team.

If having a crappy field is such an advantage- why isn't every other NFL team doing it?

Holy Diver said:
I laughed out loud when I got my first glimpse of the field for the home opener....there is no way a field looks that bad unless they wanted it to.

The bad field cost the Dolphins 3 points.....fine with me.

Actually it cost them 6 points. Mare missed to field goals. On the one that was block his plant foot slipped, and on the other long one you could tell he was very tentative and didn't get a lot under it, the ball went very low.

The field does hurt oppossing kicking games, but it hurts ours too. There were several times were BB was forced to fo for it on 4th down yesterday because he couldn't ask Gotti to make such a long field goal is such abyssmal conditions.

I hate the field the way it is. It's really embarassing.

Whilst I have stopped acknowledging the Celtics as an organization following the razing of Boston Garden, they are, possibly, the proudest organization in all of sports. The famous dead spots in the most recognizable surface to any basketball fan that was ever played upon was both a psychological and tactical edge.

Similarly, the Pats, from the same headstrong and deceitfully cunning region, have an "embarrassing" situation. First of all, I believe a true Pats fan would be better served to be less embarrassed and more proud of their field. A hard worker is silently proven by his dense callouses and furrowed scars. It speaks of bloody toil, hard-fought battles and tough men. Who gives a rats ass what the casual fan of the pristine visiting Jacksonville Jaguars or Tennessee Titans?

I'm sorry Sallys, but if I want to watch tuxedoed Turks prance about upon manicured gardens, I put on my spats and fire up the Duesenberg for a drive through the low country. When I want to watch my favorite football team, the warriors of the gridiron, I want gladiators struggling in muck.

Embarrased. Pfft. How does it affect you? The hell with what the league thinks. I hope they hate playing here. That's what we should want. Injuries happen anyway. I like laughing when Payton *****es.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes