PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England field condition is INEXCUSABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the bye even the field has a chance to get back on track

The Pat's will next be at home Nov. 5 versus the Colts. However there is a soccer game on the 14th and then the soccer playoff's begin.

Sure hope Adam doesn't hurt himslef on our shoddy turf.

The field has never looked good. They don't have enough of a loam base in it. Decent grass needs a 6" base of loam and to do it really right you need 8" to 10" of loam. That area...very rocky and sandy naturally.....the dirt is not ideal.

I figure there is not enough loam in there to enhance drainage or that they screwed it up initially by using what was there. when they made the parking lots the contractor probably scraped off the loam and sold it off.

But they had to dig it all up to put a drainage system in...unless they skipped this part which they might have and that's why the field has such a large crown in it.

It will never be right unless they dig it up....drop the drainage system down about 4" to 6" and replace that lost height wih loam and only loam.

Anyone who thinks I'm wrong here dig into parts of your lawn that are not as green or sturdy as other greener parts. You will find more loam in the good areas. When I bought my house I added 4" of loam to what was already there...I'm a fanatic...I could get that grass green....LET ME IN THERE BOB!!!

I suspect the middle of the field will be resodded during the bye week. Didn't they do it in another year or two?

F.B.N. said:
The field has never looked good. They don't have enough of a loam base in it. Decent grass needs a 6" base of loam and to do it really right you need 8" to 10" of loam. That area...very rocky and sandy naturally.....the dirt is not ideal.

I figure there is not enough loam in there to enhance drainage or that they screwed it up initially by using what was there. when they made the parking lots the contractor probably scraped off the loam and sold it off.

But they had to dig it all up to put a drainage system in...unless they skipped this part which they might have and that's why the field has such a large crown in it.

It will never be right unless they dig it up....drop the drainage system down about 4" to 6" and replace that lost height wih loam and only loam.

Anyone who thinks I'm wrong here dig into parts of your lawn that are not as green or sturdy as other greener parts. You will find more loam in the good areas. When I bought my house I added 4" of loam to what was already there...I'm a fanatic...I could get that grass green....LET ME IN THERE BOB!!!
BB may not be a groundskeeper... but I think you are!

F.B.N. said:

Please tell me that you do landscaping for a living. ;)

Loam lover.

:X Sapphire

oh, and that field did look like a mess today. Surely if they can do anything about it, they will in the next month -- but I only know the Patriots schedule, not the soccer (Revolution?) team.

Concerts on that field anywhere near football season are a VERY bad idea, although I agree the area where it's chewed up the worst seems to be the 'football' area of the field.

But I live in an apartment and don't know much about LOAM. :D

sapphire

Patjew said:
BB may not be a groundskeeper... but I think you are!
I'm thinking Civil Engineer.

Our field is an embarrassment to the NFL.

PatsSteve1 said:
I suspect the middle of the field will be resodded during the bye week. Didn't they do it in another year or two?
They shouldn't even bother resodding just part of the field. Don't you remember a few years back, I think it was in Philadelphia where a player got seriously injured after they replaced pieces of sod in the field? They would be better off leaving it the way it is.

While the field has never looked really good, it's never looked this bad. I couldn't believe that it looked this crappy for the first game! I remember the NFL forcing the team a few years ago to replace the grass in the middle of the field. I've seen high schools with better fields!

A few years ago the Pats had one of the best groundskeepers in the game... he was fired, supposedly at BB's orders because he insisted on keeping the field in too good shape.

They have other practice fields they could use, if the main stadium between the hashes is chewed up it's not an accident.

Amen brother!

It is inexcusable!!!
The organization should apologize to the Season Ticket Holders.
Not only does it look crappy...but it clearly negatively impacts the level of play by the team.
It is NOT the groundskeepers fault. It is the responsibility of BB to make sure this is taken care of

Again, it is OK to criticise the management when warranted...this does not mean anyone is disloyal. Any really good management should be able to take criticism well and act on it.

marcus said:
Amen brother!

It is inexcusable!!!
The organization should apologize to the Season Ticket Holders.
Not only does it look crappy...but it clearly negatively impacts the level of play by the team.
It is NOT the groundskeepers fault. It is the responsibility of BB to make sure this is taken care of

Again, it is OK to criticise the management when warranted...this does not mean anyone is disloyal. Any really good management should be able to take criticism well and act on it.

I agree. The field is a mess but it's a double edged sword. Yes Olindo misssed a field goal and had one blocked but am I the only one that noticed Tom slipping a little as he dropped back to pass.

The running game is suffering as well. They ripped apart the Cincy run D on a good field but coulldn't do much against the Phins at home. They had the same problem against Denver.

Did anyone see the post-game show (Fifth Quarter) where they were showing the grounds crew "raking" the "grass" in the middle of the field? It was 90% dirt! No other sport allows you to keep your playing surface however you want it. Imagine if the Bruins were playing on slush or the Celtics had chunks of parquet coming up.

It's unconscionable! :mad:

Re: it seems they prefer a slow track

Patjew said:
It seems like they prefer a slow track, so they keep the field chewed up. But Brady likes a fast track, so it doesn't add up.

yeah, PatJew, i think so too. our clydesdales do better against the fast teams, (Indy, Bengals, Chiefs, Atlanta) when the turf is either bad or slippery. thing is, i thought bare ground is supposed to be a fast track.
patriots have only had green sod on field whan league office insisted on it. as i recalled one or two times kraft had the nfl office PAY FOR IT.

despite what brady/manny says, if BB wanted a lush field, there'd be one. he__ll you'd think high grass slowed down the fast equippes. but that that's what he wants. it's a mystery to me. but of coures BB has done the studies and knows what he's doing. very stragne.

F.B.N. said:

Actually the field has everything in place to make it look like a putting green, if that was the desired effect. Sub-surface drainage, state of the art 3-zone heating as well as forced air circulation to get air to the rootzone if needed. No expense or step was spared during the construction of the field surface. Every single layer from the very first crushed rock base layer to the sand/soil rootzone mix was screened, sized and inspected then laser-graded. I've seen it first-hand. The "blame" for the field appearance can layed at some peoples' feet, but not at Kraft's. All the tools are in place, whether they get used or not is determined by someone else.

The main problem is that despite having a covered practice facility with the latest generation field turf, the field is usually practiced on during the week in addition to the Revolution games and miscellaneous on-field event. Turf needs time to recover. It never gets it.

-CTPF. grASS-MAN.

Re: NOPE!

oldskool138 said:
I agree. The field is a mess but it's a double edged sword. Yes Olindo misssed a field goal and had one blocked but am I the only one that noticed Tom slipping a little as he dropped back to pass.

The running game is suffering as well. They ripped apart the Cincy run D on a good field but coulldn't do much against the Phins at home. They had the same problem against Denver.

Did anyone see the post-game show (Fifth Quarter) where they were showing the grounds crew "raking" the "grass" in the middle of the field? It was 90% dirt! No other sport allows you to keep your playing surface however you want it. Imagine if the Bruins were playing on slush or the Celtics had chunks of parquet coming up.

It's unconscionable! :mad:

No its not!

The Celtics BG parquet was sometimes referred to as the "seventh man". I was fortunate enough to actually play on the parguet for a winter high school tourney and there were really "dead spots" where the ball just wouldn't bounce right. The Celts knew where they were, and the visitors didn't. If its good enough for Red Auerbach, its good enough for Bill Belichick. Even the discussion of the parquet, served to psychologically effect the opposition. Same with the field.

They're always looking for an edge. ;)

DaBruinz said:
I think that we will find that the field will be different come the next home game. They have almost a month before they have to play the Colts here at home.
Yeah, it will be worse :)

Actually, assuming Vinatieri isn't hurt for that game, the best way to throw off the Colts' kicking game would be to get the field in perfect shape, Adam wouldn't have much experience with that to draw upon. :)

Seymour93 said:
I don't want to see the field replaced until after the Colts game. 'Would love to be in the press room observing Napolian's numerous hissy fits. :D

We will have to hire personal bodyguards for the groundkeepers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back