PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New D performs a lot like the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanchez drove the field with time expiring and got his team in position to kick a field goal. Dallas was unable to stop him, the Jets won the game. Yep unbelievable. Did you watch that game or just read the stats on the computer? Just checking.

Um...here was the Jets' scoring drive on their game-winning FG:

Romo had just thrown that hideous pick to Revis. The Jets started their drive at the Dallas 34 with 0:49 left in the game.

1-10, Dal 34 - Greene 2 yd run
2-10, Dal 32 - Sanchez incomplete short right to Mason
3-10, Dal 32 - Sanchez incomplete short left to Burress

Sanchez "drove the field with time expiring and got his team in position to kick a field goal"?? Sanchez went 0-2 and moved the team nowhere.

So, to quote yourself: Did you watch that game or just read the stats on the computer?

Romo had just thrown that hideous pick to Revis. The Jets started their drive at the Dallas 34 with 0:49 left in the game.

Sanchez "drove the field with time expiring and got his team in position to kick a field goal"?? Sanchez went 0-2 and moved the team nowhere.

So, to quote yourself: Did you watch that game or just read the stats on the computer?

Romo moved the Jets downfield for the winning field goal, not Sanchez.

That game should have been over when Sanchez fumbled the ball, but the the Jets' special teams and Romo trying to out bonehead Sanchez were a bigger factor the the Jets offense. In fact, Sanchez was almost picked off in one of the last drive.

I actually think when the OP states "we don't know how to blitz", he's somewhat accurate. I don't know what the reason, but there's a lot of teams out there that flat-out know how to design schemes and blitzes that I'm insanely jealous of. If you watch, our stunting isn't even on the same level as the Ryan defenses or LeBeau in Pittsburgh, and when we come with a heavy blitz, all our guys are picked up way, way more frequently than other teams.

We definitely improved last night, and we got some pressures... but I've kind of given up on us "wreaking havoc" for opposing QBs, because that just isn't what our defense is... we don't effectively blitz.

Pats D has been making average to below average quarterbacks look amazing since 2007 regardless of personnel or scheme: Kyle Boller, Kevin Kolb, Shaun Hill, Seneca Wallace, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colt McCoy, Chad Henne and etc.

Maybe it's time to stop believing that the opposing quarterback just happened to have "the game of his life" against the Pats but admit that the defense just flat out stinks.

While I was disappointed in our performance on 4th down, I thought overall our D looked much better than last year. We are no longer the "all bark and no bite" defense. Instead we can back up the D line threat with real pressure.

Granted, we made a lot of mistakes last night and have room for conditioning and improvement, but after one game you simply cannot call out the D as failing in any way. It's one freaking game!

:bricks:

We gave up two long TD drives without giving up third down conversions.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

I would have thought an "expert" like yourself would have figured it out. Arrington was being used to shadow Reggie Bush on numerous occasions.

I read through the whole thread to see if anyone else would make this point. It was obvious to anyone watching that this was exactly what he was doing. I don't think the Pats were a-scared of the run at that point.

One huge thing I saw last night that people seem to be over-looking..

I didn't see a single Patriots player go down because of cramping. Not one. Yet, the Miami players, who practice in that weather, were going down left and right...

2-10, Dal 32 - Sanchez incomplete short right to Mason (only incomplete because a 3rd string corner read Sanchez like a book and almost made a pick 6), more Jet luck that a guy who was playing safety last year was at CB instead of somebody who can catch. More things you see when you actually watch the game.

Pats D has been making average to below average quarterbacks look amazing since 2007 regardless of personnel or scheme: Kyle Boller, Kevin Kolb Definitely above average I like Kolb, Shaun Hill, Seneca Wallace, Ryan Fitzpatrick good QB shi t team, Colt McCoy (Solid QB imo), Chad Henne and etc.

Maybe it's time to stop believing that the opposing quarterback just happened to have "the game of his life" against the Pats but admit that the defense just flat out stinks.

you are wrong about a few of the QB's

I BOLDED my input in your quote:)

you forgot to mention GB's back up but hey what do I know?

Last edited:
Pats D has been making average to below average quarterbacks look amazing since 2007 regardless of personnel or scheme: Kyle Boller, Kevin Kolb, Shaun Hill, Seneca Wallace, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colt McCoy, Chad Henne and etc.

Yeah

Except for the fact non of them ever looked amazing.

I hope nobody ever asked for your help picking out girlfriends.

2 for 13 on third downs means that this D is not at all like last years D. This is pretty clear!

We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler.

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

When teams constantly target your #1 CB...its not a good thing.

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

Dowling looked like McCourty did in many games last year.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands.

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt.

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.

I disagree with your last assertion that they are the 80's Chargers. I saw some improvement last night vs last year. they were actually able to get off the field on many 3rd down attempts. Yes they gave up many 1st downs on 1st and 2nd down because they couldn't create pressure on the QB but that has more to do with gearing up to stop the run on those downs (i.e.: containing Reggie Bush) than it had to do with lack of execution. I thought they got to Henne a lot more this year than they did last year when they had a rush on AND it was a passing down. Credit to Henne he got the ball out quick a lot too, which is something new for the Dolphin O. As more film is recorded on the Dolphin O and Bill dissects it my guess is in the next match up they will get to Henne even more.

I was both disappointed and pleasantly surprised last night with the D. I expected more from the front 7 but was happy to see they are getting more pressure this year than last. Time will tell but as they play more together I think this will develop into a very good D.

I don t know why people are saying, based on this game, the D this year is like the D last year.
The biggest problem, or at least, one of the biggest problems, last year was the inability to get off the field on third down. Last night, the Dolphins were 2/14 on third downs.
In addition, I thought they got good pressure on Henne all pretty much all night...I missed the first part of the first quarter so I didn't see Miami's first score, but it sure looked to me like they were pressuring the QB.

We gave up two long TD drives without giving up third down conversions.

Amazing that the other team gets paid too. We won by 14 on the road in a historically tough place for us to play with 3/5 th's of our OL playing out of position and held the Phins O to 17 points (7 of those were on the offense), and only 10 over the last 55 minutes of the game after a terrible 1st drive.

The Dolphins have 2 excellent wideouts, a TE who made a few amazing catches, and a RB who is very tough cover out of the backfield.

And after watching Henne constantly check into the right play I am willing to go on record that Sparano has hampered his development with the over-reliance on the running game which is being abandoned en mass in this league with the possible exception of the Raiders.

Given somebody who knows what he was doing (Daboll), the kid looks like an actual NFL QB.

Even given all that, the Pats got a lot of pressure, some sacks, and they could have called half a dozen holds on Incognito alone.

McCourty struggled some with a Pro Bowl wideout, playing bump and run without a lot of safety help. Then when it mattered, in the red zone, he shut him down.

I guess if you ignore the fact that the Phins were 2/14 on on third down I can see your point......
and the Phins were only 3/6 in the redzone, including a stop for no points on the 1/2 yard line.

Superlative third down and red zone defenses, and I saw a better pass rush than last year. No, not ten sacks, but lots of pressure. Re-watch and see the balls thrown away due to pressure. many times they were 1/2 second away from a sack. The OP sees that as a failure, but in fact it often meant Henne had to throw the ball before he wanted to.

Brandon Marshall is one of the best WRs we'll face this year.

I'm satisfied with the defense for an opening game.

God this is a horrible thread.
The game needs to be mapped out.

Miami 1st drive 84 yards/ TD.

Analysis- Good opening drive. First drives are usually scripted. The key here is the follow on adjustments. Also, as Aikman said a few years back, "One play and one drive doesn't make a gameplan"

Miami- 2nd-5th drives 65 total yards resulting in punts.

Analysis- After making the first drive adjustments, the Dolphins had four drives and did squat.

Miami- 6th drive 9 yards/ TD

Analysis- Would obviously prefer a FG. Shows a cardinal rule of football- No short fields. This rule has been lost when the playoff game last year leads to talk about the defense.

Miami- 7th drive 87 yards/ FG

Analysis- Red zone defense.

Miami 8th-9th drives punts.

Analysis- Adjustments.

Miami 10th drive- 74 yards downs

Analysis- This drive started with 8:48 to go. At this point, the Dolphins were down 14 points and had 247 yards of total offense. The final three drives produced 7points and 213 yards of offense.

The reality of the post game analysis would have been different if the 99 yard TD pass was actually a 5 minute eat the clock drive.

The offense scored 38 points with no drive taking more than 4 minutes. This skewed the stats since quick drives must mean the defense is back on the field.

We do seem to have trouble lately with running out the clock. I hate it because it makes the make nerve wracking and too close. Remember San Diego last year?

The DBs dropped two interceptions last night (Bodden, McCourty). When you blitz, you gamble that pressure will make the QB put the ball in a place your defense can get at it, and allow you to stop the drive.

In both Miami games last year, the defense got early interceptions off of Henne, after which he played ineffectively. If Bodden and McCourty had been able to take the ball away, Henne most likely would have refrained from putting the ball into the same tight spots, would have held the ball longer, and therefore would have been sacked more, further reducing his effectiveness, and from there it spirals out of control.

The concerning thing about last night was the lack of interceptions.

This thread stinks - real practice squad material.

The performance on 3rd down negates any validity it may have had, it should have remained a misguided thought in the OP's skull.

This thread was also inevitable as there is a hard core contingent of Pat fans, just like all NE fans, that always try to find the worst in every performance. No matter the result they find what they don't like to focus on. Nobody will argue that their defense was what we want for the entire season but the truth is that defenses are clearly behind offenses league wide, and for the Patriots you have to take into account many new pieces and a new system they are in the process of implementing. I will be interested to see the improvement from week 1-2 and from september to January, if the OP is right then there won't be any, i don't buy that and believe there will be tremendous growth from this defense over the season and it will start to show against a much better offense that comes to town next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back