PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New D performs a lot like the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly correct, and even the pick was a fluky thing, the rest was all garbage time. I thought the defense looked pretty darn good.

Plus Soldier is DA MAN!

My apology....I defer to your stellar assessment. :rolleyes:

Actually Henne played worse against us last year.....

He made some nice throws as I said in my original post, and some great catches were made, but there were also some guys that were wide open much too often.

We fortunately have the best QB in the game playing for us.

Why do people ignore what's posted and just answer some imagined response?

Again... Henne was completing under pressure. Last year, the Patriots couldn't get pressure.

Again.... the Patriots were able to get off the field on 3rd down. Last year, they were at the bottom of the league in that.

One area that we made a massive improvement in on D was 3rd down completion %. IIRC we were the worse in the league at that last year.

Tonight we held the Dolphins to 14% (2/14) on 3rd downs.

Wow you keep adding amazing bits of information with every post, did you watch the Dallas game, they lost. The amazing Sanchez was able to beat them.

Yes...that's why Dallas lost...because Sanchez beat them. Unbelievable.

The Fins has a good drive on the first drive of the game the Pats adjusted one more good drive resulting in a FG until the had the 14 pt lead then they were going to prevent the big play when up by 21 they were straight prevent to avoid the big play and use up the clock.

Next week will be a better test.

Henne made some very good throws and they receivers made a few spectacular catches, IMO this D has potential.

Yes...that's why Dallas lost...because Sanchez beat them. Unbelievable.

Sanchez drove the field with time expiring and got his team in position to kick a field goal. Dallas was unable to stop him, the Jets won the game. Yep unbelievable. Did you watch that game or just read the stats on the computer? Just checking.

Haynesworth fell down on 1 play.

On another Pryor appeared faster than Albert.

If Wilfork falls and nobody hears it did he really fall?
Or if no one loses their balance when he hit the ground.? The USGS must have picked that up on they're Sismograph's out in Colorado

Last edited:
I was hoping to see a little more pressure on Henne on a consistant basis, other than that when they had to play tough they did. Two goal line stands...impressive.

People have to remember or realize it was hot and humid, the dew point was in the 70's, very tough conditions for a team not use to them to play in. Its especially hard on the defense.

Last edited:
Henne played a really solid game. He was really quick on his reads, and didn't give the D much time to get after him, he also bounced off a few sacks, and was able to run on them..

In fact NE generated a pretty good B+/A- pass rush for most of the game. There were some missed tackles (Carter and Wright touched him several times but couldn't hang on) but overall the talent and danger is there, where it wasn't in years past. Ellis and HW both were pretty convincing imo.

The corners played really well. B. Marshall is a beast and they left McCourty on an island against him multiple times. So yea he got beat a few times, but he also played him tough.

Safety play was less good. Chung missed a few reads, but played to his run stopping and tackling strengths. Also I felt the pass D by the linebackers (Mayo) was ho hum (Fasano hurt them a lot)

Overall, this was a really pretty good defensive performance. There were some issues (notably run D out wide, and recognizing QB scrambles) but this is a talented group.

Sanchez drove the field with time expiring and got his team in position to kick a field goal. Dallas was unable to stop him, the Jets won the game. Yep unbelievable. Did you watch that game or just read the stats on the computer? Just checking.

A blocked punt, a very long field goal and Tony Romo choking when it counts lost that game for the Cowboys. Not Sanchez.

Last edited:
I think the only similarity with last year's defense was in the box score.

On the field, I was impressed with the pass rush. We had A LOT of pressure on Henne tonight. 4 sacks and countless hits. Most of his completions/yardage was on checkdowns. Keep in mind that Daball is the OC so their short passing game has a lot of similarities with our offense.

Last year we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Tonight Miami was 2/13 (14%) on 3rd down. That's a great sign. We also had three red zone stops with two being "goal-to-go". That's not too bad.

Sure, there's room for improvement but I think we're on the right track. You also have to realize that teams w/extremely high powered passing attacks always give up more yards on defense. This is due to a number reasons. 1) It lengthens the game. 2) it speeds up the tempo of the game, especially when you use the no huddle like we do. 3) It forces the opposition to speed up their tempo and play more aggressively as well.

It's no coincidence that defenses that lead the league in yards allowed, typically are run-first teams on offense. Last season's Chargers were the exception. I would like to point out, however, that the Chargers specials teams gave up so many scores and/or long returns that set up short fields that their defense had fewer possessions. This isn't to say they weren't a good defense, they were. But their defensive numbers had an assist from all those possessions where they didn't have to go on the field b/c the special teams gave up scores.

Last edited:
Way too early to panic on the defense.....yes....Henne put up YARDS and the fins did score more than I had hoped they would....but....

It has already been pointed out the vast improvement in getting off the field in 3rd down situations....let's hope it holds up

Ras-I looked very good a lot of the time....crossing my fingers he holds up physically

Good pressure by the front 7 as compared to last year....not great, but an improvement

Haynesworth showed some promise with the forced holdings and some solid stops

Overall, it was enough for the first game of the season on the road at a place we have had some rough times at over the years....I will take a division road win and smile...

But...it wasn't all good...for some very superficial notes on the negatives...

Too many missed tackles in the secondary.....McCourty had 3 that resulted in big yards after the catch...very uneven in the preseason....I hope its not the sophmore year jinx...

Guyton can cover, but he can't stop anybody from catching the ball....I think he could cover my fat arse like a blanket but I could just pluck a pass out of the air as he stared me down......he never looks back.....

Chad Henne......416 yards passing....I don't care what time of the game it is happening in....and it wasn't all garbage time...

Overall....I think its a good first step to an improvement over last year's defense.....It could be excellent by the end of season....

Again... Henne was completing under pressure. Last year, the Patriots couldn't get pressure.

Again.... the Patriots were able to get off the field on 3rd down. Last year, they were at the bottom of the league in that.

Didnt they get 5 sacks in addition to the pressure, it looked a whole lot different than last year to me too.
The NFL is loving these games, this is what they want, you just need your D to make some big plays at key times. You wont see anyone challenging the 86Bears in Todays NFL

Hey chicken little, settle down. Yes, this defense is a work in progress, but with two goal-line stands, killing third-down conversions, and decent play from some very young players, I'm quite hopeful. Haynesworth isn't even close to being in top shape yet. Dowling is just learning the ropes. Belichick is still figuring out the best way to use this crazy defensive talent we have.

Relax. Give us a few games to get settled in before you start in with this.

Because the argument that they improved on 3rd down D is silly. So what. they had 450 total yards against us...thats means 3rd down was the the only down they weren't converting on.

Their average yards per pass was 8. How come great Defenses we've seen from other teams in the league don't become so porous in garbage time?

The defense was very bad tonight...and we were lucky to have Brady on a record evening.

We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler. [COLOR="red"No they didn't. That is your silly over-reaction. Henne got a lot of yards that meant nothing. Not to mention the Pats were damn good on 3rd downs. [/COLOR]

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

When teams constantly target your #1 CB...its not a good thing. [COLOR="Red"]They didn't just target McCourty. But you clearly want to over-react and pretend like many of the Phins yards actually mattered. I have news for you. They didn't. [/COLOR]

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

Dowling looked like McCourty did in many games last year.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing? I would have thought an "expert" like yourself would have figured it out. Arrington was being used to shadow Reggie Bush on numerous occasions.

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands. You're evaluations are poor. Pryor's hands looked just fine fending off the blocks and holds. Haynesworth didn't look slow when he used just one arm to take down Bush..

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt. I've determined that you really haven't watched a Pats defense...

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized. Clearly seeing something no one else is because I watched guys hitting the A gaps on either side of the Center or one in an A and one in a B.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.

You're disappointed because the Pats have had a bend, don't break attitude and aren't flashy like Rob Ryan or Rex Ryan.

You want to b!tch and moan but you fail to acknowledge certain things.

1) The refs blew the call on Marshall's 1st catch.. His elbows were out of bounds and on the ground before both sets of toes touched.

2) The refs didn't call any of the push-offs that the Fin players made.

3) This was an off-season without any OTAs or mini-camps, so players have looked less polished.

4) I don't see you making any comments about Josh Barrett or Sergio Brown. Both of whom were lack-luster.

5) The fact you are jumping to so many conclusions after one game is a joke. It shows how little you really know and understand. If you expected them to pitch a shut-out in Miami on opening weekend, then your expectations are the issue. Not the Pats performance.

Because the argument that they improved on 3rd down D is silly. So what. they had 450 total yards against us...thats means 3rd down was the the only down they weren't converting on.

It's only silly to people who don't know what the hell they're talking about when they claim the new D performs a lot like the old D.

Last edited:
A blocked punt, a very long field goal and Tony Romo choking when it counts lost that game for the Cowboys. Not Sanchez.

Who got the Jets into position for that FG?? Sanchez. Case closed.

You clearly have issues giving credit where it's due..

It's only silly to people who don't know what the hell they're talking about when they claim the new D performs a lot like the old D.

Whatever Deus...you argue for the sake of argument. We'll see how things play out. The usual cop out argument is "you just don't know what your seeing"....I find that stuff pretty dishonorable...but whatever. I've been right more than not. So again... we'll see.

Their average yards per pass was 8. How come great Defenses we've seen from other teams in the league don't become so porous in garbage time?

The defense was very bad tonight...and we were lucky to have Brady on a record evening.

Now you are just being stupid.

Total yards doesn't mean anything. It's foolish for you to hang your hat on that. Absolutely foolish.

Also, 6 for 19 is not a great conversion % either. And that is what the Dolphins were on 3rd and 4th downs..

Actually, other teams do become porous in the prevent. Just because you want to over-look it doesn't change that fact.

Next you're gonna try and tell everyone that because Chad Henne had an 8.4 YPC but Reggie Bush only had a 3.5 YPC that the Run defense is bad. :rolleyes:

BTW, the Phins were 3/6 in the Red Zone.. Think on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News