PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New D performs a lot like the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
we went after the QB in a lot of 3rd down situations and henne was seeing people constantly in his face. this is very diff than last yr at least from what can be see from 1 game.

Who got the Jets into position for that FG?? Sanchez. Case closed.

You clearly have issues giving credit where it's due..

Sanchez was not the reason for their win. Was he a factor....sure...but by no stretch was HE the primary reason for their victory.

The 3rd down defense was 14%. That better's last season's best mark of 25%. They had 4 sacks and drew 3 holdings. Official PbP lists 5 QB hits (Pryor 2, Fletcher 2, Ninkovich 1). It wasn't a perfect showing, but there are lots of things to be excited about.

Chad Henne......416 yards passing....I don't care what time of the game it is happening in....and it wasn't all garbage time...

Henne had, roughly, 224 yards passing when the Pats went up 31 to 17. That is when the Pats started putting Arrington on the field to shadow Bush.

Sanchez was not the reason for their win. Was he a factor....sure...but by no stretch was HE the primary reason for their victory.

I swear you didn't even watch the game with comments like you are making. If it had been Brunell in there at that point, the Jets lose. Period. Just because you can't hack giving Sanchez his rightful due doesn't change anything.

What worries me is that Chad Henne had 400 yards passing and if Chad were a Charger he would be nothing but a backup to our next opponents QB Phillip Rivers

If Henne gets 400 in the air,what will an elite QB like Rivers have?

The defense will HAVE to get to Rivers...no doubt about it

We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler.

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

When teams constantly target your #1 CB...its not a good thing.

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

Dowling looked like McCourty did in many games last year.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands.

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt.

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.
funny-gifs-wtf.gif

This thread stinks - real practice squad material.

The performance on 3rd down negates any validity it may have had, it should have remained a misguided thought in the OP's skull.

I know you guys are all over him but Karen Guregian, who is a pretty good writer shared some similar thoughts about the D. To me it was a mixed bag. D did do well on 3rd downs and while they get to Henne at times he did still throw for a bunch of yards and ran for some as well. Henne is not a great QB and it is a little concerning when he plays that well.

Patriots defense still facing a lot of work - BostonHerald.com

McCourty looked a lot more sticky last year. Including preseason, guys are getting way too much seperation on him.

I snipped this piece out. Was McCourty covering Marshall? In alot of cases teams attack the #1 CB because he is covering your #1 WR and Marshall is one of the best receivers in the league. Obviously it would be nice if teams didn't go after their #1 receiver because you have a "shutdown corner", but with a receiver like Marshall and less weapons overall, Henne has to go towards him. Overall I agree that Devin could've played better, don't get me wrong. But I don't think the fact he is getting challenged is out of the ordinary or indicative of anything to be honest. Last year he was a rookie and was tested (which is common). Also, Bess and Bush got a lot of looks as well, but both are more short pass kind of guys, which I do think we need to improve on I believe. Fasano as well had some looks and IIRC he was covered by a safety or Guyton for the most part.

Last edited:
I know you guys are all over him but Karen Guregian, who is a pretty good writer shared some similar thoughts about the D. To me it was a mixed bag. D did do well on 3rd downs and while they get to Henne at times he did still throw for a bunch of yards and ran for some as well. Henne is not a great QB and it is a little concerning when he plays that well.

Patriots defense still facing a lot of work - BostonHerald.com

There's a difference between saying the defense isn't yet where you want it to be and saying the defense is the "same old defense". It was clearly not the same old defense, at all. In some areas (Meriweather v. his replacements), having the "same old defense" would have been an improvement. In others (QB pressure/3rd down success) it was clearly superior to that "same old defense".

Let's not forget that the defense allowed 17 legit points, with the other 7 coming as a result of the Brady pick that put the defense behind the 8 ball.

Like last year??? We have a problem at one safety spot and the Guyton situation will be remedied when Spikes returns. HOwever, The DL is full of big, disruptive forces. The top 3 corners are studs. Major improvements on display last night. While the game was still in doubt the yardarge was like 550-260. Don't let the garbage time fool you.

Like last year??? We have a problem at one safety spot and the Guyton situation will be remedied when Spikes returns. HOwever, The DL is full of big, disruptive forces. The top 3 corners are studs. Major improvements on display last night. While the game was still in doubt the yardarge was like 550-260. Don't let the garbage time fool you.

Exactly. The stats in this game don't interest me as much as what we actually saw--the Pats were getting off the field on third down, which seemed to NEVER happen last year.

Clearly the safety play needs some work, and it would have been nice to see some more pressure. Also hope McCourty doesn't have a sophmore slump. But overall the signs were very encouraging.

Last edited:
Rosie Colvin said it best this morning on 98.5. Give these guys a chance to gel and bond with each other. I agree with him. There are a lot of moving parts on the defense. We still have banged up guys who have not played yet. I will wait a little longer before I pass judgement.

Because the argument that they improved on 3rd down D is silly. So what. they had 450 total yards against us...thats means 3rd down was the the only down they weren't converting on.

Their average yards per pass was 8. How come great Defenses we've seen from other teams in the league don't become so porous in garbage time?

The defense was very bad tonight...and we were lucky to have Brady on a record evening.

Did you watch the game ?

We made another JAG QB look like a pro bowler.

Giving Henne credit, he made some nice throws. But so many seem to make a lot of nice throws against us.

Does anyone get that whole DB on the line thing?

Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands.

I've determined that we don't know how to blitz. Fat bodied DLs on out team are too slow to stunt.

I noticed when our linebackers blitz...they attack the same gap...at the same time......why? They both hit the same hole, get stuck in the bodies around them..an get neutralized.

I'll tell a why I'm disappointed....Rob Ryan is in the process of creating a nice little scheme in Dallas....and our defensive genius is creating defenses that are having the same problem year after year.

Very perplexing. We are nothing but the 80s Chargers.

It appears that your consternation is a result of zero football intelligence. My guess is it's counter productive for you to watch because viewing produces even worse analysis.

My advice would be to refrain from starting ignorant threads and devote your time to understanding football in the manner that resembles an IQ fixed in positive territory.

The first thing I would do is go back and attempt to study the game based on the fact that football is based on drives and drives are produced based an each unique situation.

" Guyton has no instincts....zero. Haynesworth drew some holds which was nice, but he looked real slow to me. As did VW. Pryor has a GREAT first step, but is poor with his hands."

Huh ? Slow ? If you weighed 350 pounds, playing in 90 degree heat and humidity, how fast would you be ?

What surprised me was that it was the Miami players getting dehydrated and cramping up. The no huddle is a killer for defenses in that kind of heat.

It looked like what the Colts do when they crank up the heat in the dome.

If the defense can't substitute they're screwed.

Strsangely, from looking at the box score, you'd think, sieves against the pass, stoned the running game.

But our DBs did not play badly. Fasano, Marshall, Bess and Hartline are not chopped liver.

I was actually more concerned by the run defense. In adopting the 4-3, it looks like our DTs are pushing upfield so much that wide swaths are opening up the middle, and Guyton did not seem capable of filling that space.

Rosie Colvin said it best this morning on 98.5. Give these guys a chance to gel and bond with each other. I agree with him. There are a lot of moving parts on the defense. We still have banged up guys who have not played yet. I will wait a little longer before I pass judgement.

Really, after the first game ? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS ! Jeesh !

Chung's hit on Fasano was as good as any Rodney ever made.

I like it, I love it, I want some more of it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back