PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Needs not addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was 'neglected?'

Belichick did not agree that DE and front 7 were of as much importance as you did...case closed,

Not so fast; case not closed. We do not know for sure if this is how BB felt during the draft. I happen to think that the Mike Reiss hypothesis is correct; BB wanted someone like Jabaal Sherard but gambled that he would be around later in the second or that Heyward would be around at 33. As we know the gamble (if that is what it was) failed.

I am not sure we will ever know the truth unless Michael Holley or someone of his ilk was in the War Room....There could have been screaming when Sheard was taken; who knows.

If the Reiss hypothesis is correct we might see a strong play by the Patriots for a FA pass rusher (if any are available) and we also might see less trade-downs next year. I think that they got burned this year and next year will stop screwing around and take the guy they want if he is available.

Last edited:
We still have so many areas that we need to upgrade and yet we haven't. We still need DE, OLB and interior OL. We have Devin and Bolden as starter and BJGE plus Woodhead. They were more luxury picks than need, basically we drated back-ups.

We were 32nd Defense in the league last season for the longest time, we might have jumped a little at the end, but still as far as upgrading the needs, we simply haven't. With 4 picks left in the laster rounds, it isn't being fixed.

They say that every year is never the same in football, i can't say that this year.

The fact that you care where the Pats were rated in terms of yards allowed tells me you aren't focusing on what is important.

The Pats added Marcus Stroud to be the RDE for at least the next year. The Pats will also have Ty Warren and Brace returning. Not to mention Deaderick, Pryor, Richard, Favorite and a couple of others. Would a new, long term DE have been nice. Sure. But the Pats weren't giving up what it would take to get that sort of player.

Who are "Devin and Bolden"?? Sure you are on the right board???

The Pats, BB in particular, like Eric Moore as an OLB. He's not a long term fix, but could be short term. Add him to Ninkovich, Cunningham and TBC and the Pats are decent there.. And better if they get good play from Stroud or Ron Brace at RDE. There is also an outside possibility of them adding someone in free agency.

The Pats added a player in Marcus Cannon who should be able to move inside and play OG. They also have Ohrberger, Wendell, and Thomas Austin. They could also sign someone like Harvey Dahl, especially if Mankins walks..

The Pats had Woodhead and Clayton under contract for RBs prior to the start of the draft. That's it. BJGE is an RFA and could be made a UFA is there is a change in the rules with a new CBA. So, adding Vereen and Ridley makes a lot of sense. And there is a chance that Ridley could be even better than BJGE.

Aside from Solder, they won't help much during this season, i can't see anyone of those draftees being more than back ups, i really can't see them play that a lot of snaps.

As far as the front 7 goes, the only issue i have is with the OLB core, there are the weakest part in this team, and i believed that we should have fixed it before the end of the 3rd round, that was the neglect part.

Hey - we've got another Ms. Cleo on our hands. Clearly you must know the future if you say that neither Vereen nor Ridley are going to be of any use.

My money is that both make the team and both score at least 3 TDs this year.

Who, in your mind, would have been able to step into this defense at OLB and help immediately???

Fact: Over the second half of last season, the Patriots were 3rd in points allowed.

Fact: Over the second half of last season, the Patriots were 2nd in sacks.

The Patriots don't need more talent in the front 7, they need more experience. Drafting players who don't fit the scheme doesn't make anybody more experienced.

Sciz,

Those are interesting trend line stats. They also confirm my 20-20 eyeball observations. The Defense got much better as the season went on.

Until the rash of DL injuries just became too much for the good depth to overcome; and you saw 5'10", 190#, Kyle Arrington playing Defensive line....

Not so fast; case not closed. We do not know for sure if this is how BB felt during the draft. I happen to think that the Mike Reiss hypothesis is correct; BB wanted someone like Jabaal Sherard but gambled that he would be around later in the second or that Heyward would be around at 33. As we know the gamble (if that is what it was) failed.

I am not sure we will ever know the truth unless Michael Holley or someone of his ilk was in the War Room....There could have been screaming when Sheard was taken; who knows.

If the Reiss hypothesis is correct we might see a strong play by the Patriots for a FA pass rusher (if any are available) and we also might see less trade-downs next year. I think that they got burned this year and next year will stop screwing around and take the guy they want if he is available.

That could be an accurate hypothesis but I personally don't think so. The Pats had the ammo to basically move anywhere they wanted to on the draft board. They didn't have to sit and wait for anyone to fall to them if they really coveted a player they easily could have moved up for them.

No my friend you don't have so many needs including a DE, and an interior OL. You may or may not need an OLB as you played two new ones last season and they will be better after their first years, presumeably.

We have the following DLs: Wilfork, T Warren, G Warren, Brace, Deaderick, Wright, Pryor, Stroud, and Love, who have demonstrated some talent, and a host of other hopefuls. That is 9. The number a team usually carries is 5-7. who do you want to cut so you can draft some more in the late rounds?

Point of information: G. Warren is a UFA. Mike Wright may or may not be back. You also forgot Kade Weston, Landon Cohen, Marlon Favorite, and Darryl Richard

We have the following OLs: Light, Mankins, Kopen, Connelly, Volmer, Kaczur, Ohrnberger, Wendell, Levoir and Ojinaka who have started, and Solder that is 11, and a host of other hopefuls, like Manieri. The usual number to keep is 7-8. Who do you need to cut for your new OLs?

Point of Information: The Pats usually keep 9 O-line. 5 interior and 4 tackles. There have been times where they have gone with 8 or 7, but that was due to injury.

We have 5 RBs but will probably let a couple oldsters go, and we added two more thsi dradft. The usual number to keep is 3-5.

Point of information: Only Danny Woodhead and Thomas Clayton are under contract, though Eric Kettani (FB) and Shun White (RB) are on the Reserve/Military list and may or may not be in camp. BJGE is an RFA with a 2nd round tender. He could be signed by another team or be declared a UFA. A lot depends on the CBA. Faulk, Morris and Taylor are UFA. The Pats have kept 5 backs on the roster except when they had a lot of injuries.

We had two QBs and now we have three. The usual number to keep is three.

Point of Information: The Pats had 3 QBs. You missed Jonathan Crompton. They now have 4 by adding Mallett. And that is the number they like to have going into camp so that Brady's arm doesn't get over-worked.

We have three OLBs Cunningham, Ninkovitch and TBC who have started, and a possible reserve in Fletcher. The usual number to keep is 3-4. There is one opening possibly to be filled with an unplayable rookie or a vet FA. What do you REALLY expect BB to do?

I expect a FA OLB to be signed. :rolleyes:

The Pats had several OLBs.. You forgot Eric Moore (who BB is very high on) and Marques Murrell.

That being said, if the Pats signed a Marcus Spears or Cullen Jenkins, then that automatically will improve the LBs.. But there are some good OLBs available as well as several good guards.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ents-once-free-agency-begins.html#post2539481

Again, with no rookie camps, playbooks, ota's, organized workouts, player contact, etc, this was not a good year to draft inexperienced, immature, undisciplined, young players (say like Wilkerson or Ellis) and expect them to show up at camp ready to go. Check out the Jets boards in September.

I do believe BB feels he has players at DE, OLB and OG that he can count on.

DL - the list of "blooded" linemen is pretty long after the streak of IR losses last year. We get Warren back, we get Wright back. Stroud is a veteran addition, and there's a whole stable of youngsters headlined by Brace, Deaderick and Love, each of which looked pretty credible at times. As BB would say, it's really a question of consistency

OLB - (1) I think fans seriously underrate Ninkovich as a player for us. He was dominant at Miami with two INTs, and does a good job sealing the edge. (2) Moore is still a bit of an unknown quantity for fans, but he showed up in a few games at the end of the season without the benefit of training camp. (3) Cunningham is coming off his rookie year where he flashed potential. None of these players have peaked, and each of them have cause for optimism if they continue to progress. I think BB has decided to ride these guys, plus TBC. They're all young, smart and willing.

One moment of regret is that the pats didn't draft Jeremy Beal, who fell all the way to the end of the 7th round! Good god. He was mocked in early drafts in the 1st and 2nd rounds, but tested poorly at the Combine. I would have liked to see him at camp.

OG - I do think that Cannon was drafted to play inside for us, and could be an elite player. Almost all of BBs late round picks are long shot players with a high upside. Given his cancer diagnosis, it may be a while before we see Cannon suit up for us. But Stephen Neal took a few years before he took his role in the starting lineup. Brandon Tate was a medial redshirt too. BB is willing to invest the time if he sees the upside. OG is clearly a need, but I think BB believes that he has his future starter on the roster already. And when you figure that Mankins missed half a season, and Neal was injured for a good part of it too, its another example where BB has young players who've been training at the position, who he's prepared to entrust with a starting role.

What makes these positions of "need" different from RB and TE and QB and LT is age. The oldest positions on the roster were the ones that BB drafted to fill this year. OG, DL, OLB... you may not be satisfied with the level of talent, but those positions are very young already. And the youngsters have untapped upside. I think BB wants to give them the time on the field to grow up.

Last edited:
That could be an accurate hypothesis but I personally don't think so. The Pats had the ammo to basically move anywhere they wanted to on the draft board. They didn't have to sit and wait for anyone to fall to them if they really coveted a player they easily could have moved up for them.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Not to sound harsh, but I really don't care what Mike Reiss speculates in this case, although I certainly respect him AND your opinion and point. If Belichick valued the position as much as you think, he would not have passed on such guys 2, 3 and 4 times over. There were multiple guys, with multiple fits--if BB had wanted someone, he'd certainly have taken SOMEBODY.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Reiss is absolutely delusional when it comes to pass rushers. He had no understanding of the Patriots' scheme and cares only about the ability of an OLB to speed rush like their hair is on fire.

OK, the patriots have decided to draft Mallett at 74, and now must put in their card at 73 (Cannon has not yet been drafted). The board consists of
OG Rackley (53 on Gosselin's board)
OG Moffitt (76)
OG Boling (89)
DE Bailey (58)
WR Hankersn (71)
10 running backs rated higher than Ridley, including some rated as 3rd round quality

Belichick decides to draft based on need instead of value. How is it not best to choose between Rackley and Moffit. It should be noted that once Belichick finished drafted at 74, he immediately traded away his remaining 3rd and his 4th for a 2012 2nd. Rackley, Moffit and Boling simply weren't good enough prospects.

Did Belichick really think that much of Connolly, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Austin?
============

I agree that Belichick will now look for an OG in free agency.

.The Pats added a player in Marcus Cannon who should be able to move inside and play OG. They also have Ohrberger, Wendell, and Thomas Austin. They could also sign someone like Harvey Dahl, especially if Mankins walks..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back