PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Gives Meriweather Second Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
now having a gun is an issue? Samuel and Gaffney are 2 known guys on team that carry handguns

As a point of information, I have played football, but I don't see the relevance. Unless your point was to make you look more qualified to speak on the matter than anyone else. In that case, I'm just as qualified as you are, unless you want to compare things like level of competition, what we ran the 40 in, number of touchdowns, or anything else to figure out whose opinion is more valid. I've also played hockey, lacrosse, and wrestled. Not once have I felt the urge to stomp on an opponents head as a display of anger or frustration, or otherwise in the "heat of competition".

The rest of your statements just goes to show some people can rationalize anything.

1) We're not considering drafting Seymour in the first round this year.
2) Merriweather is NOT a logical target for robbery. He hasn't earned NFL paycheck 1 yet.

And people like you can rationalize anything to be the absolute WORST of a person. Regardless of what the facts really are.

The Seymour to Merriweather comparison IS valid. Just because YOU think its not, doesn't mean its not. BTW, were you out condemning Seymour and saying the Pats should cut him for stomping on Glenn's head? If not, then you are being a frigging hypocrite.

As for whether or not Merriweather and his roommate could be a target for a robbery, thank you for showing your ignorance about robberies. Many robberies are done for values in the $50-$100 range. Some College atheletes are robbed for their athletic shoes because those shoes go for prices up to and beyond $150 a pair. Robberies also happen at random. So, please, give me a break regarding this BS idea that there was no reason to rob either Merriweather or Cooper. There doesn't have to be a REASON.

Hell, the guy who was going to rob their place could have thought they were already gone and was surprised that they weren't.

Of course people can apologize for mistakes, but if I shoot the President, I can probably count on not working in the federal government anytime soon, regardless of how numerous or sincere my apologies are. Belichick has proven that he'll give people second or third chances. But there's no history of doing so while making a huge investment in that player. Honestly, I don't know if he's a thug or potential thug, and nobody else here does either, unless somebody personally knows him. To my knowledge, he hasn't been arrested of anything, so that's good. All I'm saying is that there are a lot of red flags around him, and they're worth exploring, you know, just in case they weren't all harmless boys being boys situations.

Really? There is NO HISTORY of Belichick giving a player a 2nd or 3rd chance while making a huge investment in them? How about Ty Law, Ted Washington and Corey Dillon? Just to name a few.

There are NOT a LOT of Red Flags around Merriweather. There are 2. And, its probably WHY the Patriots have met with him twice.

In this country (and on these forums) I also have the right to voice my opinion on it. My opinion is... I think the situation sounds MORE than a little bit shady. That is MY opinion.

While you have the right to voice your opinion, you also have to deal with whatever consequences come from voicing that opinion. That is what so many people forget regarding when they start touting Freedom of Speech.

But I suppose you do? lmao...

LISTEN... one of you guys step up and put your $$ where your mouth is. I got $20.00 that says the Pats don’t draft him. I am guaranteeing it right now.

If he is off the board before them, then the bet is void. But if he is there when they select (either @ 24 or 28), they are not taking him.

Anyone care to man up? (Instead of swearing at me, calling me names, and telling me to "shut up"; like a bunch of children.)

Considering that there are a ton of draft picks out there, its a fools bet, regardless of what happens.

The fact is that you don't know whether the Pats are going to consider taking him. All we know is that the Pats are meeting with him a 2nd time and that the Pats have access to resources that you and I don't. The Pats met with Chad Jackson twice last year. Once to evaluate him and once to test him on his break down of the play-book and the films they gave him to watch. Could the Pats have done that with Merriweather? Yep. Could they not have done that? Yep.

We don't know.

It is naive thinking like this, which will ruin the NFL, the same way it has ruined the NBA.

At about :33 seconds in... Watch your "High Character" guy rush in to "to aide his defensless coach"... he is #19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5UINZGHJ4&mode=related&search=

While that video doesn't show Merriweather in a good light because I don't see the coach that was being attacked, it also doesn't show him kicking anyone in the head. It shows him kicking #53 of FIU in the back two-three times. Now, that being said, this is a poor quality video and doesn't show enough to condemn him. It does, though, show enough to talk with him about it. And he's admitted that he's talked to every single team about the incident.

Honestly, we all know that the FIU players started the brawl and it was their team that rushed the field first. While Merriweather shouldn't have stomped on anyone, I don't agree he should have sat back and done nothing.

The Seymour to Merriweather comparison IS valid.

Really? Because it seems to me that Seymour was already a member of the Patriots for several years, and has proven his character time and again. Maybe I dreamt the whole thing.

Just because YOU think its not, doesn't mean its not. BTW, were you out condemning Seymour and saying the Pats should cut him for stomping on Glenn's head? If not, then you are being a frigging hypocrite.

You should learn what hypocrite means. Again, we're not thinking about drafting Seymour, so it's NOT the same situation. I don't know how much simpler it gets. I don't know what happened with Seymour. Maybe Glenn punched him in the gnads. Maybe Glenn cut him illegally. Merriweather is a coward. He saw a guy lying on the ground, and he went over to tap dance on his head. That's Haynesworth material.

As for whether or not Merriweather and his roommate could be a target for a robbery, thank you for showing your ignorance about robberies. Many robberies are done for values in the $50-$100 range. Some College atheletes are robbed for their athletic shoes because those shoes go for prices up to and beyond $150 a pair. Robberies also happen at random. So, please, give me a break regarding this BS idea that there was no reason to rob either Merriweather or Cooper. There doesn't have to be a REASON.

So everybody should carry a loaded handgun, because anybody can be robbed? That's your argument? Well, I guess it's true. Hold on a second, I've got to call my Mom to tell her to start packing when she goes to the store. I'll be right back.

Hell, the guy who was going to rob their place could have thought they were already gone and was surprised that they weren't.

I thought we'd already established that there was no robbery. Am I wrong?

Really? There is NO HISTORY of Belichick giving a player a 2nd or 3rd chance while making a huge investment in them? How about Ty Law, Ted Washington and Corey Dillon? Just to name a few.

Come on, you're better than this. Dillon came in on a one year deal for small money, EXPRESSLY so the Patriots could cut him if he was going to be a problem. Washington was on a one year deal for small money. I don't know what incidents you're referring to with Law and Washington. The Ecstasy thing maybe? He brought in J'Juan Cherry and Derek Watson on short money for a look see, because they had character issues. They both got flushed. If Merriweather is willing to come in as a first round draft pick on a non-guaranteed, cap friendly deal, then I'm all for it. Seriously.

There are NOT a LOT of Red Flags around Merriweather. There are 2. And, its probably WHY the Patriots have met with him twice.

No doubt. But like I said earlier, Merriweather is guilty until proven innocent.

Actaully, the neighborhood that Merriweather lives in DOES have a lot of robberies, burglaries and assaults. That came out when the incident happened.

When you consider that Merriweather is planning on being a police officer as well, then yes, I can see him having a gun. Because 1) its his right per the Constitution. 2) He has it legally (registered and licensed). 3) Shooting a pistol takes practice. LOTS of it. To be good. And, where he plans on being a police officer, it actually gives him an advantage if he's already a good marksman with it prior to going into whatever Police Academy he goes to.

You do realize that Merriweather admitted what he did was wrong in the head stomping incident. I don't condone someone stomping on another player's head (including Seymour doing it against the Colts), I understand that players get out of control every now and then.

Honestly, the head stomping incident is the ONLY on-field incident that had been mentioned about Merriweather. Are you going to write off every MIAMI player who rushed that field and was a part of that brawl?

And I'm OK with this entire post. He seems to have legit reasons, let's see how convincing he is. If everything checks out to BBs satisfaction, fine.

And, to be honest, I don't have a single UM player on my draft board, involved in brawl or not.

While you have the right to voice your opinion, you also have to deal with whatever consequences come from voicing that opinion. That is what so many people forget regarding when they start touting Freedom of Speech.

Technically... no I don’t. I have to deal with folks disagreeing with me (which is what I expect), but I don’t have to deal with them "insulting" me, just because I hold a different opinion. Personal attacks are against the rules of this forum. (Not to mention petty).

However... It doesn’t bother me, as I can appreciate the humor and the irony of it all.

why, why, why do these threads have to end up as peeing matches? You guys act like you're competing for the Noble prize!

I didn't even see this thread while responding to the white men can jump thread by proclaiming Meriweather as the player who will be remembered as the best safety taken in this draft. If he truly has woken up and put his mind right, this dude will just explode on the scene for the Pat's secondary. His physical package is complete and he seems to relish being a leader during the game. the only question is whether he's a thug or just a kid who lost control -

I say take him.

Awesome post! Agree 100 frekin percent.

And people like you can rationalize anything to be the absolute WORST of a person. Regardless of what the facts really are.

The Seymour to Merriweather comparison IS valid. Just because YOU think its not, doesn't mean its not. BTW, were you out condemning Seymour and saying the Pats should cut him for stomping on Glenn's head? If not, then you are being a frigging hypocrite.

ah, make that the noble Nobel prize :D

OK. This whole Meriweather is a THUG thing has gotten under my skin.

I understand that he did not live in the nicest section of Miami. But that is his home.

Unfortunately, there are many on this board that think that firearms ownership, by itself, is a character flaw. Carrying one, well, you must have serious flaws. I guess just because you are famous; an actor, pro athlete, college star, you've got to give up your Constitutional Rights, because they ar politically incorrect? I carried one everywhere I went for over five years, does that make me have serious character issues?

Some of you need to think about this shooting incident with a little more logic than you are using. Everything that I have found, shows that this incident has been dismissed by the police as a self- defense.

BM had a legally owned handgun. There is a standard that must be met to be issued an ownership permit. I also understand that he had a concealed weapons permit for that handgun. Requiring a very high standard, classes, and background checks, etc.

If the holder of a CCW permit is part of a shooting incident, they are held to a very high standard by the police. If the incident is dismissed and his permits were not revoked, you can be damn sure that it was thoroughly investigated and it was justifiable self-defense. not retaliation.

I have no idea whether the Pats will draft this kid or not, but I think there needs to be a little more thought, & common sense and a lot less stereotyping around here. And I also think all you lib, anti-gun, suburbanite idiots need to pull your heads out of you fourth point of contact, and come back to the real world.

Taxed in Maine,
Army Ranger, former PI, professional bodyguard, and combat handgun instuctor.

I understand that he did not live in the nicest section of Miami. But that is his home.

Unfortunately, there are many on this board that think that firearms ownership, by itself, is a character flaw. Carrying one, well, you must have serious flaws. I guess just because you are famous; an actor, pro athlete, college star, you've got to give up your Constitutional Rights, because they ar politically incorrect? I carried one everywhere I went for over five years, does that make me have serious character issues?

Some of you need to think about this shooting incident with a little more logic than you are using. Everything that I have found, shows that this incident has been dismissed by the police as a self- defense.

BM had a legally owned handgun. There is a standard that must be met to be issued an ownership permit. I also understand that he had a concealed weapons permit for that handgun. Requiring a very high standard, classes, and background checks, etc.

If the holder of a CCW permit is part of a shooting incident, they are held to a very high standard by the police. If the incident is dismissed and his permits were not revoked, you can be damn sure that it was thoroughly investigated and it was justifiable self-defense. not retaliation.

I have no idea whether the Pats will draft this kid or not, but I think there needs to be a little more thought, & common sense and a lot less stereotyping around here. And I also think all you lib, anti-gun, suburbanite idiots need to pull your heads out of you fourth point of contact, and come back to the real world.

Taxed in Maine,

Good post. 100 percent true.

If you don't mind me asking? How many looks are we up to now with Merriweather? 14 pages, you would figure the Pat's have brought him in for his 18th look by now.

If you don't mind me asking? How many looks are we up to now with Merriweather? 14 pages, you would figure the Pat's have brought him in for his 18th look by now.

Yea, I think it's just three times if you count the combine. Two private workouts one with BB & Pioli and one with NE's DB coach Collier coach and one meeting at the combine. I don't know if they talked to him at the Senior Bowl or not.

Last edited:

Taxed in Maine,

All of that is good and well. I still think he has character issues, and I hope the Patriots don't draft him.

I don't care what the police report says... I'm not a court of law. I am a fan of a football team who thinks that the whole situation was shady enough for me to question his character. Toss in the fact that he was seen on tape gang stomping a defenseless player (on the ground), and I get even MORE suspicious.

Listen, I own a gun. I live in a bad neighborhood. I grew up in an even WORSE neighborhood; where situations similar to the one Meriweather was involved in took place ALL THE TIME (armed robberies). I was robbed at gun point one night, sitting on my front steps!! No lie.

That is specifically WHY it all seems a little too suspicious for me. Whether or not he owned the gun legally, or shot in self defense, really is irrelevant to me. I am not a D.A trying to prosecute the guy. I am not REQUIRED to give him a break. I'm forming my own opinion, based on what I believe is the most likely scenario surrounding the events that took place.

I'm "speculating". I'm "assuming". I am passing "judgement" on him. SO WHAT!??

Do you guys realize that YOU are doing the EXACT same thing?!! The only difference is, you all are choosing to give him a pass, based on the fact that he did not actually commit any crimes.

You are "assuming" that it was a random robbery attempt.

You are "speculating" that it was an isolated incident, and that there is no back story behind it.

You are passing "judgement" on him; by saying that he is a good guy for saving his teammates life, or rushing to defend his teammates in the FIU Brawl.

It's the same difference. We just disagree. I don't see what the big deal is.

BTW: Thank you for defending our country. Guys like you, are the reason why we have the "freedom" to disagree. (Im not joking. I mean that! :eat3: )

Last edited:
BTW: Thank you for defending our country. Guys like you, are the reason why we have the "freedom" to disagree. (Im not joking. I mean that! :eat3: )
Oh sure, a heavily armed Maineiac and you get all sweetness and light! ;)

On behalf of my nephews in Iraq and Afghanistan I thank you (now remember to keep this in the Political Forum for the sensitive folks).

Taxed in Maine,

Is it too hard to keep it about football? Didja have to be just as stereotypical and hypocritical?

Thanks for serving but really, your discussion belongs in another forum.

Is it too hard to keep it about football? Didja have to be just as stereotypical and hypocritical?

Thanks for serving but really, your discussion belongs in another forum.

As long as the subject is Brandon Meriweather, then this particular discussion still belongs in this particular forum. JMO, of course.

For the record, again, I want nothing whatsoever to do with Meriweather until #91. He is too slight of build even for FS, and too inexperienced at CB, plus the FIU brawl, to risk either 24 or 28 on him. I would rather trade down, or out to 2008, if no worthy candidates are available.

As long as the subject is Brandon Meriweather, then this particular discussion still belongs in this particular forum. JMO, of course.

For the record, again, I want nothing whatsoever to do with Meriweather until #91. He is too slight of build even for FS, and too inexperienced at CB, plus the FIU brawl, to risk either 24 or 28 on him. I would rather trade down, or out to 2008, if no worthy candidates are available.

so i dont wanna hear u say "i want Nelson" as a matter of fact..Griffin aint much bigger either

so i dont wanna hear u say "i want Nelson" as a matter of fact..Griffin aint much bigger either

You do know that Griffin has added some weight already right? (Since the combine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST