PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Gives Meriweather Second Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
No different style. Merriweather is probably more athletic. Rodney relies more on being Physical, and using his brain. He can diagnose plays pretty quickly, and fly’s right towards the action.

Mike Griffin’s style is a lot more like Harrison’s.

You think griffin would be able to hold his own playing like that even tough he's like 20 pounds lighter?

No different style. Merriweather is probably more athletic. Rodney relies more on being Physical, and using his brain. He can diagnose plays pretty quickly, and fly’s right towards the action.

Mike Griffin’s style is a lot more like Harrison’s.

This is partly why I find your opinion's of Meriweather somewhat laughable. What you just said about Rodney is exactly what Meriweather's strength's are.

From Scouts Inc.
"Is a versatile safety prospect with good range versus the run and pass. He lacks ideal size but fills hard versus the run. Shows better power at the point of attack as a tackler than his size would indicate. He plays with a great motor and a mean streak. He makes his presence known over the middle of the field and will throw his body around. Very reliable tackler in the open field. He shows good instincts and initial quickness. Diagnoses plays quickly and consistently takes solid angles. He has better than average range in deep zone coverage. His ball skills are adequate. Shows very good football intelligence and is a leader in the secondary. Great experience at the highest level of collegiate competition."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=10946

here's Sports Xchange:
"Despite his compact frame, he hits like a linebacker and will not hesitate to lay it all out to make the play … Very well-prepared to face his opponent, putting in the extra hours in the film room studying tapes … Vocal team leader who is respected by his teammates"
"Has great route recognition skills and an instinctive feel for movement in the pocket"
"Stays fluid and calm in man coverage and won't bite on fakes and counter moves by the receiver"
"The thing you see on film is his ability to mirror without allowing separation"
"Quick to make proper reads and is rarely caught out of position at the top end of the zone"
"Sifts out the ball through trash when playing against the run, taking proper angles to shorten his path to the ball"
" Sure tackler in space who strikes with force on every opportunity to put his hat into the opponent's chest."

"Compares To: Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens … Whenever the Ravens need a big play, it is Reed who is likely to come through with it, not Ray Lewis … Meriweather is in the same mold as Reed, as he uses his excellent route recognition skills and range to consistently shut down his pass coverage assignments"

Last edited:
You think griffin would be able to hold his own playing like that even tough he's like 20 pounds lighter?

I dont think adding weight will be a problem with his frame. You have to remember, Rodney has had a lot of years to fill out like that. Although he was never as athletic as Meriweather.

This is partly why I find your opinion's of Meriweather somewhat laughable. What you just said about Rodney is exactly what Meriweather's strength's are.

I have NEVER knocked Meriweather's on-field play. (Actually, I have complimented it.) It's his character that I have a problem with.

It's not unrealistic Nelson falls to 24. the only real obsticles are the Panthers, and the Jags. He's not a top ten pick. I could see the Panthers going another direction, and while I don't think the Jags will (I think he'll be a Jag).

It is TOTALLY unrealistic. Nelson is not going to be there @ 24. If you agree he is going to Jax... than why bother arguing. It is pointless. Nelson is not falling that far, unless he suffers a freak injury between now and draft day.

A lot of the actual draft "experts"

There no such thing. Dont fool yourself. :cool:

Last edited:
It is TOTALLY unrealistic. Nelson is not going to be there @ 24. If you agree he is going to Jax... than why bother arguing. It is pointless. Nelson is not falling that far, unless he suffers a freak injury between now and draft day.

There no such thing. Dont fool yourself. :cool:

Notice the quotation marks? :rolleyes:

Also, it's not totally unrealistic, more like 30/70 he'll be there.

Last edited:
I have NEVER knocked Meriweather's on-field play. (Actually, I have complimented it.) It's his character that I have a problem with.

You only talked about Brandon's athleticism, and said Griffin's style of play is more like Rodney's (paraphrasing) in that he quickly diagnoses plays then fly's to the action If you actually quoted the entire reply it makes those statements seem kind of funny, since again those are Meriweather's strength's.

What you say about Griffin is actually more fitting to Meriweather, since Griffin sometimes over reacts, and can use additional coaching on his route recognition. He's also not as good sifting through trash.

Another thing, whats with your "I'll bet you $20" crap? When someone else said Griffin might still be there at 28 you said something like "I'll bet you $20 Dollers he's gone before that!" These are the arguements generally used by those with nothing more to add, or those who know nothing of what they speak. These arguements are also used by "internet tough guys", or people trying to throw their supposed wealth around.

Last edited:
I think meriweather and griffin would both be better for us than nelson

Another thing, whats with your "I'll bet you $20" crap? When someone else said Griffin might still be there at 28 you said something like "I'll bet you $20 Dollers he's gone before that!"

It is to get people to either back up there predictions...or pipe down. It is the only way to show how much you REALLY believe in the garbo you are spewing.

These are the arguements generally used by those with nothing more to add, or those who know nothing of what they speak. These arguements are also used by "internet tough guys", or people trying to throw their supposed wealth around.

What are you really talking about dude...lol- Internet Tough Guy?? I know "nothing of what I speak"?? lmfao... You CANT be serious!! (Actually, the sad thing is, you probably are!)

You continuously insult me, over and over again with such passion... It's hilarious.

Why? Nobody that I'm aware of has ever called you an "expert":D

I will refrain from personal insults... But com'on man? Did you not grasp what I meant? Seriously?

You know what... forget it. It's pointless. :rolleyes:

It is to get people to either back up there predictions...or pipe down. It is the only way to show how much you REALLY believe in the garbo you are spewing.

What are you really talking about dude...lol- Internet Tough Guy?? I know "nothing of what I speak"?? lmfao... You CANT be serious!! (Actually, the sad thing is, you probably are!)
Well, that could truelly be your intention or you could fall into one of those previously mentioned groups. At the very least it's annoying.

Does anybody else think this thread is no longer of any use to humanity except to piss everybody off? Would anybody miss it if it were locked?

Does anybody else think this thread is no longer of any use to humanity except to piss everybody off? Would anybody miss it if it were locked?
Let them attack each other here, most know to avoid it by now.

That seems to be the problem. You are raising "red flags" when there shouldn't be any. You raise character issue when the facts show otherwise.

Look at your "incidents" and put them in proper perspective - the guy is actually a high character guy getting a bum rap from people like you that are making mountains out of molehills.

1) Stomping incident - he did not start it and really only became involved when going to the aid of a defenseless coach trying to break things up. I would view this as admirable actually.

2) Shooting incident - he fired a weapon that he legally had every right to have in an incident that appeared to be justified. Were it not, don't you think charges would have been brought with arrest and possible conviction?? They were not - so why would you find him guilty for a crime he did not commit over an incident that showed me he rushed to the aid of a friend. Seems to me like he is a pretty stand up guy, the kind I would like to have next to me in my foxhole.

Let them attack each other here, most know to avoid it by now.

Let THEM attack EACH OTHER?? Come'on now... lol-

PLEASE... someone show me where I "attacked" or insulted any other poster in this thread. I’m the one being insulted (simply because I don’t like the idea of spending a first rounder on Meriweather.)

I’m all for locking the thread. It is going nowhere.

Last edited:
That seems to be the problem. You are raising "red flags" when there shouldn't be any. You raise character issue when the facts show otherwise.

Look at your "incidents" and put them in proper perspective - the guy is actually a high character guy getting a bum rap from people like you that are making mountains out of molehills.

1) Stomping incident - he did not start it and really only became involved when going to the aid of a defenseless coach trying to break things up. I would view this as admirable actually.

2) Shooting incident - he fired a weapon that he legally had every right to have in an incident that appeared to be justified. Were it not, don't you think charges would have been brought with arrest and possible conviction?? They were not - so why would you find him guilty for a crime he did not commit over an incident that showed me he rushed to the aid of a friend. Seems to me like he is a pretty stand up guy, the kind I would like to have next to me in my foxhole.

It is naive thinking like this, which will ruin the NFL, the same way it has ruined the NBA.

At about :33 seconds in... Watch your "High Character" guy rush in to "to aide his defensless coach"... he is #19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5UINZGHJ4&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
Unless Merriweather had a job that required him to carry a gun (entirely possible, could've been interning with the police), he really has no reason to have a loaded handgun at the ready. Now if you (as Merriweather) can convince me (playing the role of the Patriots GM) that you never carry a loaded gun around with you when you go to a party or clubbing, and that you had a damn good reason to keep a loaded handgun at home (repeated robberies/burglaries/assaults -- I realize Coral Gables isn't exactly Mayberry), then maybe I consider drafting you. Unlike the US Justice system, the burden of proof is on you. I'm the one considering paying you a large amount of dollars. You have to satisfy my reservations.

Actaully, the neighborhood that Merriweather lives in DOES have a lot of robberies, burglaries and assaults. That came out when the incident happened.

When you consider that Merriweather is planning on being a police officer as well, then yes, I can see him having a gun. Because 1) its his right per the Constitution. 2) He has it legally (registered and licensed). 3) Shooting a pistol takes practice. LOTS of it. To be good. And, where he plans on being a police officer, it actually gives him an advantage if he's already a good marksman with it prior to going into whatever Police Academy he goes to.

And that doesn't even address the head-stomping incident during an athletic contest, which I can't believe people are trying to explain away like it's not a big deal and not indicative of anything.

You do realize that Merriweather admitted what he did was wrong in the head stomping incident. I don't condone someone stomping on another player's head (including Seymour doing it against the Colts), I understand that players get out of control every now and then.

Honestly, the head stomping incident is the ONLY on-field incident that had been mentioned about Merriweather. Are you going to write off every MIAMI player who rushed that field and was a part of that brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back