PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Gives Meriweather Second Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on sebman, this is getting silly. My little two-sentence description of the incident was word-for-word accurate, your description was dead wrong, but you found some other account that happened to also mention a friggin' bandanna so you get to dismiss me with "Again, your description was false"?

Look, I get it. You're an ardent supporter of the right to bear arms. Fine. That is not what I was writing about. I'm not one calling Meriweather a thug. I am not interested in passing judgment on his character. I was simply trying to correct a repeated misstatement that his friend was being robbed.

My goal is to assess the player's chances of being drafted by the New England Patriots. I have not even shared my own opinion of concealed weapons because I don't think it's relevant to the discussion. The only opinion I've shared in this discussion is that the Patriots tend to choose safe players with prototype measurables in the first round, and that Meriweather doesn't fit the bill.

Maybe the false numbers you quoted for some players you don't like might have me a little more suspicious when it concerns your intent, than I should be ;)

Also, I wasn't dead wrong, and your "little two-sentence description" wasn't "word-for-word accurate" as you claim, lets leave it at that.

Considering the assailant was wearing a bandana and carrying a gun, I would say his intention was that of robbery?

Why?

I think being difficult to identify would be advantageous no matter WHAT the crime.

Miami players have prided themselves on being outlaws since the Testaverde/Jerome Brown/Jimmy Johnson days.

And we KNOW that BB wouldn't want to have anything to do with guys like that. :rocker::rocker::rocker:

You can argue and speculate about whether a player is going to get picked or not but the bottom line is that your opinion means nothing.
If Brandon Meriweather ends up a Patriot on April 28th then obviously the Pats felt that the character stuff was overblown.
THats it!
Having a healthy argument is alright but no one here really knows BM and if he is a thug or not, so maybe lets just let the draft answer all these questions.

You can argue and speculate about whether a player is going to get picked or not but the bottom line is that your opinion means nothing.
If Brandon Meriweather ends up a Patriot on April 28th then obviously the Pats felt that the character stuff was overblown.
THats it!
Having a healthy argument is alright but no one here really knows BM and if he is a thug or not, so maybe lets just let the draft answer all these questions.

:yeahthat: The Crazyeye sees all :)

Meriweather Highlight Video. Notice the run support, tackling, and coverage skills:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=2249289&ch=396337&src=sports

Well, I'm forbidden to see this site at work (the screen tells me so), but I'm willing to bet any draft-worthy defensive back can put together a similar reel. Hence the name "highlight video"....cherry picking at it's finest. I'd rather sit down with game film from Rutgers, Florida St, Virginia Tech, and any other game vs. good competition over the season.

Last edited:
Well, I'm forbidden to see this site at work (the screen tells me so), but I'm willing to bet any draft-worthy defensive back can put together a similar reel. Hence the name "highlight video"....cherry picking at it's finest. I'd rather sit down with game film from Rutgers, Florida St, Virginia Tech, and any other game vs. good competition over the season.

Obviously, but this is the first "highlight video" that has been posted of him on the internet. Yahoo sports just uploaded a bunch of videos including some players you can find stuff on youtube of, like Meriweather. So you're in the industry, or still playing football?

Can I offer a word of objective sanity here.

Choosing a Safety in the first round requires an unusual and rare player as most Safeties are second to fifth round picks.

So, what are the rare attributes that make for a first round Safety. Great speed, and great size will do for a stater. Neither Merriweather nor Nelson have that.

The ability to play the game and be a QB of the Defense and a big hitter. Both have that, although Nelson's tackling is questionable.

The ability to cover at the equal of at least lesser first string CBs. Neither has that. Neither could be a swing CB, in a pinch.

Who does have those attributes?

There is such a Safety; his name is spelled spelled L-A-R-O-N L-A-N-D-R-Y. End of story.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone (except maybe PATSNUTme with Willis and he's amusing about it to say the least) back a player like you have.....I sure hope you are his agent otherwise I can't understand your reasoning.

Because I posted a thread talking about NE putting him through a second private workout, and I disliked the "meri-thug" remarks? If you didn't notice more than once I said NE might not draft him, and his being put through a second workout doesn't mean he will be drafted by NE. I like the idea of him on this team, though. Also, I did say I would be fine with NE going another direction, because of the question marks surrounding him, so really you're a little off.

Can I offer a word of objective sanity here.

Choosing a Safety in the first round requires an unusual and rare player as most Safeties are second to fifth round picks.

So, what are the rare attributes that make for a first round Safety. Great speed, and great size will do for a stater. Neither Merriweather nor Nelson have that.

The ability to play the game and be a QB of the Defense and a big hitter. Both have that, although Nelson's tackling is questionable.

The ability to cover at the equal of at least lesser first string CBs. Neither has that. Neither could be a swing CB, in a pinch.

Who does have those attributes?

There is such a Safety; his name is spelled spelled L-A-R-O-N L-A-N-D-R-Y. End of story.

I'm going to look like Meriweather's defender again, but your wrong about his coverage skills. Meriweather played CB against GT and held Calvin Johnson in check. This is from his NFL.com scouting report "did not allow a reception in four games during 2006 season", so he can play CB. Actually Mike Mayock has Meriweather ranked as the second best Safety behind the very good Laron Landry, and also says Meriweather could be a very good slot CB right out of college. I'm not on the guys jock, but he's a little more talented than some think.

I'm going to look like Meriweather's defender again, but your wrong about his coverage skills. Meriweather played CB against GT and held Calvin Johnson in check. This is from his NFL.com scouting report "did not allow a reception in four games during 2006 season", so he can play CB. Actually Mike Mayock has Meriweather ranked as the second best Safety behind the very good Laron Landry, and also says Meriweather could be a very good slot CB right out of college. I'm not on the guys jock, but he's a little more talented than some think.

Absolutely agree with you,sebman,safety's are not
worth it in first round,exception being those that can play CB,as well.I really like Merriweather,he has what BB values most......Football intelligence and tackling ability......don't be blinded by speed,knowing how to "steer",is more valuable.

Meriweather Highlight Video. Notice the run support, tackling, and coverage skills:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=2249289&ch=396337&src=sports

Does this video show the "gang stomping" of that player while he is on the ground and defensless?? :rolleyes: It really demonstrates his Leadership abilities... considering he was the first guy to start stomping on the guys head. Good thing he didnt have his "Heat" packed in jock-strap...:D

But... Im sure he learned his lesson. :bricks:

Does this video show the "gang stomping" of that player while he is on the ground and defensless?? :rolleyes: It really demonstrates his Leadership abilities... considering he was the first guy to start stomping on the guys head. Good thing he didnt have his "Heat" packed in jock-strap...:D

Yar:rolleyes:

i dont think u read anyone's response (a Meriweather supporter) and he wasnt the first..if u saw game or highlights u would see that there was a big fight as it was..

and he wasn't the first..

Damn... there goes his "Leadership" qualities.

You guys need to lighten up. Am I being OVERLY critical of him? Probably.

Bottom line is... I would not want a guy with these kind of "?", selected with one of our two first rounders. It's too risky. I don't care how talented he is.

Last edited:
Damn... there goes his "Leadership" qualities.

You guys need to lighten up. Am I being OVERLY critical of him? Probably.

Bottom line is... I would not want a guy with these kind of "?", selected with one of our two first rounders. It's too risky. I don't care how talented he is.

did u answer why Seymour isnt a thug for stomping?

So a person with question marks isnt worth a 1st round pick?
what about a 2nd?
thats basically how we got Dillon. Dillon was arrested how many times before he ended up at Washington (for one year)? He was seen as a bad guy and a locker room cancer, and im sure many of those who ***** about Meriweather *****ed about having that cancer on our team.
and how do you feel about Dillon now?
The fact is that if Meriweather came to this team and had a good year with no off field distractions, many people would change there song a dance.
I'm not even saying that BB loves Meriweather, but letting your emotions get the best of you and fighting dirty doesnt mean he is an awful person.
would your opinion of him change if he picked the FIU player up and punched him in the face? Does that help your opinion of him?
Would your opinion of him change if he ran away instead of firing back at someone that fired at him? Or threw a rock?
The fact is that it is legal to carry a firearm and put in that situation, im not sure all of you wouldnt fire back if someone just shot your friend.
Im not saying that he is a saint,he obviously put himself in a bad situation, but if the team thinks that is not who he is then i think he would be a very worthy pick in the first round
Plus i think that the locker room we have would not stand for much of a thug attitude. The vets teach the rooks what it is to be professional. Please relax on Meriweather and wait till the draft

did u answer why Seymour isnt a thug for stomping?

Because Seymour's was an isolated incident which took place between two guys who were BOTH playing dirty with each other.

Besides, Seymour "Stepped" on Glenn. A far cry from joining in on a gang "stomping".

Merriweather is a "? that I prefer someone else gamble on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back