PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE Gives Meriweather Second Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meriweather has very similar skills to Nelson but with better leadership, football experience and smarts. and PROVEN versatility
Nelson was the leader of a National Championship defense. Meriweather wasn't even the leader of a complete letdown of a Miami team, and instead of acting like a leader, he went and stomped on some guy in a brawl. Not to say I think Meriweather will bust... just making sure you have the facts right.

There is another incident where he used a legally owned handgun to exchange fire with alleged robbers who shot a friend. No charges filed and public information says it was clear self-defense. Whether there is more information available beyond that I can't say. I'm sure the Pats have dug deep and have looked closely at the coach's tape of the FL Int game.

In the FIU game Meriweather tried stepping/stomping on someone after the fight had already broke out, but he was not one of the people who started the fight. The player he tried stomping on had attacked one of Miami's coaches, who tried breaking the fight up. For those who wonder he's not the helmet guy, that was someone else.

The shooting that took place was rather unfortunate. Someone robbed and shot Meriweather's roommate, then Meriweather returned fire at the robber (but didn't actually shoot anyone), with his legally owned gun. As you said it was clear self defense, and the police said Meriweather acted legally. He was not arrested, and he hasn't been for anything, that I know of. He also hasn't tested positive for any substances, is said to be a team leader in the field, good lockerroom guy, and the coaches all loved him. I think he gets a bad rap for being in some bad situations, but I don't think he's actually a bad seed.

He may be smarter but Nelson blew him away at the combine. He's the clear cut number one for a reason. Still, would you rather have a smart player or a talented player. Devin Hester is talented but I can remember one more than one occasion him making a stupid play just because he tried to hot dog it, fumbling the ball, and giving it to the other team in excellent field position (by the way, Hester comes from "The U" too [I'm a Gator fan]). We have the smartest team in the league on average and it's done us really well. But I feel a safety should be gifted atheletically and Nelson had the better combine numbers so if he was available if I picked, I would take him.

You mean Landry blew him away at the combine, right? Nelson didn't blow anybody away at the combine. Also, for those who don't remember there has been some question as to Nelson's ability to digest a complex defense, and playbook. He doesn't have Meriweather's tackling ability either, and isn't as good against the run. They are almost the same exact size, as well.

Last edited:
Please, people.

If Meriweather was a sure thing, BB wouldn't have sent anyone.
If Meriweather was eliminated from consideration, BB wouldn't have sent anyone.

Clearly, there are things they liked, and there are some unanswered questions that they want answered.

BB's mind may seem mystical to some, but I've always found him to be very straightforward. He says what he means. If he doesn't want to say something openly, he's evasive or non-committal... but he's never lied or postured. He plays by the rules, but he understands how they are enforced and streaches the rules he doesn't like to their maximum extent. He plays all the loopholes he can find.

Anyone who sees the Meriweather scouting as proof of his intent to draft would be a fool. Anyone who thinks this is all an act... I think you're giving BB too much credit. Do you really think that other teams would change their draft behavior based on the fact that he sent an assistant coach to Miami? And do you think BB would be so obsessed with what other teams think he's going to do to send one of his guys off on a boondoggle?

Last edited:
Please, people.

If Meriweather was a sure thing, BB wouldn't have sent anyone.
If Meriweather was eliminated from consideration, BB wouldn't have sent anyone.

Clearly, there are things they liked, and there are some unanswered questions that they want answered.

BB's mind may seem mystical to some, but I've always found him to be very straightforward. He says what he means. If he doesn't want to say something openly, he's evasive or non-committal... but he's never lied or postured. He plays by the rules, but he understands how they are enforced and streaches the rules he doesn't like to their maximum extent. He plays all the loopholes he can find.

Anyone who sees the Meriweather scouting as proof of his intent to draft would be a fool. Anyone who thinks this is all an act... I think you're giving BB too much credit. Do you really think that other teams would change their draft behavior based on the fact that he sent an assistant coach to Miami? And do you think BB would be so obsessed with what other teams think he's going to do to send one of his guys off on a boondoggle?

Exactly, this doesn't mean they are for sure going to draft him, but it does mean they likely have at least some interest in drafting him, and would like to give him another look before they make up their minds. They could see something they don't like this second time around, and drop him off their board, or he could impress them and move up their board. None of us will really know until draft day.

it does seem they are interested in drafting a Safety, which I like. I really like that they gave Josh Gattis a workout, as well.

He may be smarter but Nelson blew him away at the combine. He's the clear cut number one for a reason. Still, would you rather have a smart player or a talented player. Devin Hester is talented but I can remember one more than one occasion him making a stupid play just because he tried to hot dog it, fumbling the ball, and giving it to the other team in excellent field position (by the way, Hester comes from "The U" too [I'm a Gator fan]). We have the smartest team in the league on average and it's done us really well. But I feel a safety should be gifted atheletically and Nelson had the better combine numbers so if he was available if I picked, I would take him.

okay..definatley blew him away at combine when he only ran the 40 and he ran 4.51 while Meriweather ran a 4.47

he might of done better on pro day but not at combine and pro day #s can be crazy at times. forget workouts

who clear cut #1 guy? Nelson isnt the best safety..hes 2nd-3rd best.

would i rather have a smart player or talented player? Um why not both in Meriweather?

Meriweather starts: 1 as freshman(had a medical 1st yr), 7 starts as soph, 11 starts as junior

2005 stats:
BM : semi finalist thorpe award. in 11 games: 115 tackles, 13 for loss, 7 breakups, 1 sack, 2 FF, 1 FR. won Hard Hitter Award. team leader in tackles

RN: 4 starts, 46 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT, 1 breakup

2006 stats:
BM : 57 tackles 8 breakups, 1 INT (he played quiet af ew games at corner)
RN: 51 tackles, 5 breakups, 6 INTs

career:
BM: 50 games, 259 tackles, 25 deflections, 7 INTs
RN: 25 games, 97 tackles, 6 deflections, 7 INTs

Nelson had 1 good year..1 of full year of starting experience. Nelson has been said to be a little "stupid" and thats why he left school early..because hes not a classroom guy and i've read reports saying its tough for him to recognize offenses well and read offenses

Mayock and few of us agree: Meriweather is the best cover safety in the league. Meriweather is better against run, they both hit hard and make plays..i'll give Nelson some playmaking credit but no way is he as smart of a player, as good in cover or against run. Its his INTs that catch your eyes..not much else besides a few hits here and there.

Nelson
Intelligence is a huge issue and he was not known to be a very good student...Not a great tackler and is often times more worried about delivering a knockout blow than he is wrapping up...He can be physically overmatched in-the-box...Has some durability concerns.
^his negatives..his positives were: speed, ballhawking and big hits

Meriweather positives:
Smooth athlete with fluid hips...Has excellent range and excels in coverage...Very instinctive and a playmaker with solid hands and ball skills...He plays fast and has superb timed speed...A physical player who will throw his body around...Reliable tackler who can lay the lumber and will play the run...Very versatile and could play a number of roles in the secondary...Smart and a hard worker who is reportedly a leader...Durable and productive with lots of experience against elite competition.

negatives: the incident, bulk, reckless style of play,

Nelson was the leader of a National Championship defense. Meriweather wasn't even the leader of a complete letdown of a Miami team, and instead of acting like a leader, he went and stomped on some guy in a brawl. Not to say I think Meriweather will bust... just making sure you have the facts right.

Nelson was not the leader. The leaders the front 7. never did i read Nelson is a team leader like Rodney Harrison is for us. I've seen leaders look gulity at times..Harrison is / was considered the dirtiest player..so i guess hes not leader material because dirty play is for losers.

being part of championship team does not make u a leader. i guess Dexter Reid is a leader aswell..Maquise Hill.

or you mean guys that contributed? I doubt Gay/Samuel were leaders...i can add more

who are our team leaders? please mention the words Richard seymour and this dicussion is OVER

Seymour stomped on Tarik glenn...Meriweather stomped on an FIU player.

whats the difference? Is Seymour a thug? Is Seymour a terrible leader? Does Seymour have character issues? i dont think any of us really saw Sey stomp but everyone saw the replays of Miami-FIU game so thats why it got so publicized

Last edited:
BB & SP always has us coming and going...I saw the senior bowl I thought he was the better safety out there....I admit I haven't seen him play other that game....But I do like what I saw...Maybe this smoke screen is in which way you look at it...

were in late round 1..theres no smoke screen here..stupid use

its not like were trying to pretend we need Meriweather

You're missing the point... it is not a question of if we "need" him... It is a question of if we "want" him.

I think the answer is NO. In the midst of a league wide character check, I just don’t see Pioli looking to bring in a Helmet wielding, gun fight battling, riot inciting, Pac-Man jr.

This team is being built for a SB run... they don’t need any potential time-bombs in the locker-room. They’re not drafting this guy. Let Dallas or Philly take a chance on him with their 1st rounder. :bricks:

Last edited:
You're missing the point... it is not a question of if we "need" him... It is a question of if we "want" him.

I think the answer is NO. In the midst of a league wide character check, I just don’t see Pioli looking to bring in a Helmet wielding, gun fight battling, riot inciting, Pac-Man jr.

This team is being built for a SB run... they don’t need any potential time-bombs in the locker-room. They’re not drafting this guy. Let Dallas or Philly take a chance on him with their 1st rounder. :bricks:

Prob the biggest exaggeration in the history of the internet right here. You get a Colvin "calm" down with a side of relax. Comparing BM to Pacman is such a stretch it is laughable. You have no idea who they will draft. A 18 year old making a mistake and getting into a fight is not all that uncommon. Then again according to you BM is the worst human alive. Please get of the soap box like you are some kind of pats insider.

Last edited:
A 18 year old making a mistake and getting into a fight is not all that uncommon.

No.. But an 18-year old getting into a Gun Fight (when they are not @ WAR) is pretty "Uncommon".

Obviously... I over dramatized it a little bit. But the point remains the same. Why bother taking a chance on a kid like this, when there will be player’s available with similar (possibly even better) skill sets?

It's not happening... Do I know that for sure?? Of coarse not. But I would be mildly shocked if they took him considering the circumstances.

If you want to see him stomp a guy that is on the ground getting jumped... here ya go- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627372

Last edited:

You seem like a really childish person, who twist reality to fit your intentions. The intention of this post was to slander Brandon Meriweather at all cost, even if it meant using completely false statements.

No.. But an 18-year old getting into a Gun Fight (when they are not @ WAR) is pretty "Uncommon".

Obviously... I over dramatized it a little bit. But the point remains the same. Why bother taking a chance on a kid like this, when there will be player’s available with similar (possibly even better) skill sets?

It's not happening... Do I know that for sure?? Of coarse not. But I would be mildly shocked if they took him considering the circumstances.

If you want to see him stomp a guy that is on the ground getting jumped... here ya go- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627372

OK, if my roommate gets robbed, and shot by his robber, then I use my legally owned/licensed gun to shoot at the robber (without actually shooting him), it makes me a bad person? Get a clue. first the police said Meriweather acted legally, and he was only protecting his roommate who had been shot and robbed! That is hardly the type of situation you make it out to be. As I said before your childish, and your responses wreak of bias.

Last edited:

YOUR MISSING THE POINT. MERIWEATHER DID NOT USE HIS HELMET AS A WEAPON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuxsR6YcuU

meriweather is 19. hes stomping
reddick is 26 ..he swung his helmet
he fired back..self defense. never got arrested..flordia law allows him to

if u knew anything about meriweather you would know hes not a thug.

Didn't they look at Chad Jackson multiple times before they took him ? I don't see any smokescreens. As I have mentioned in other posts I have heard comparisons in draft magazines of Merriweather to Bob Sanders. I'd love to see us draft him.

OK, if my roommate gets robbed, and shot by his robber, then I use my legally owned/licensed gun to shoot at the robber (without actually shooting him), it makes me a bad person? Get a clue. first the police said Meriweather acted legally, and he was only protecting his roommate who had been shot and robbed! That is hardly the type of situation you make it out to be. As I said before your childish, and your responses wreak of bias.

I really don't care whether he acted legally or not. The fact it, he's an 18 year old kid who owns a handgun and puts himself in situations where he feels the need to use it.

For me it's a issue of judgement and overall character, not an isolated incident or two. How many 18 year olds do you know who carry around loaded handguns and aren't thugs? How many 18 year olds stomp on the head of a fallen opponent and aren't thugs? If it looks like a thug, and it smells like a thug.....

I still feel this is a smokescreen in an attempt to get another team to take Merriweather high, and push down Nelson and/or Griffin.

Last edited:
One thing about the gun incident -- it disqualifies him from playing QB.

At QB, I want guys who HIT the target.

:rocker::violent::rocker:

The shooting that took place was rather unfortunate. Someone robbed and shot Meriweather's roommate, then Meriweather returned fire at the robber (but didn't actually shoot anyone), with his legally owned gun.

I just wanted to say...a couple of times in this thread the shooting incident was referred to as a robbery. FWIW, that wasn't my understanding of it. The players' account of the incident was that they saw a "suspicious car" outside their home, went outside to investigate, and a man fired on them. Meriweather pulled a gun out of his pants and returned fire.

As you say, it was a legally owned pistol and fired in self-defense. And the stomping incident was in the middle of a brawl where a lot of people lost their heads. But put them together and it's very fair to consider the player somewhat of a risk, especially for a first-round 5-year contract.

Also, to those who have said he had a decent combine because he ran a 4.47 40, it's worth looking beyond that number. Several defensive linemen beat his numbers in the broad jump, short shuttle and vertical, and he only lifted 11 reps! And at his pro day the numbers actually got worse. Plus Meriweather's a little guy to start with, only 5'10" 195, so he needs the strength and leaping ability. You can certainly argue that he shows enough on the field to throw away the numbers, but you can't say he has decent measurables.

Meriweather could well become a terrific NFL player, but the Patriots tend to make very safe first round picks. I just can't see Meriweather fitting the bill in round one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes