PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My very early offseason free agent targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to pick up a quality proven WR that is big and can play outside or a burner like Sanders.

Resign or find Talib's replacement.

Try and resign Minitron and restructure Amendola.

Draft or sign a LDE, Ninko ain't cutting it.

Draft or sign a Center, and LG/RG.

Draft or Sign a top TE.

GE RID OF GREGORY AT ALL COSTS!

Anquan Boldin IS the player he once was though. He is still a beast at his age. He was the only WR to beat Sherman a couple of times in the regular season.

IMO, we can get Boldin for the same price as Edelman. Give me Boldin at 1-2 years left over a longterm deal with Julian.

WR1: Dobson
WR2: Boldin
slot WR: Amendola
WR4/5: Thompkins/Boyce
TE1: Gronk
TE2: ASJ

I love Julian, but I just think Boldin would help us more. Also, if Amendola was to fail again, KT/Boyce are capable of playing slot WR IMO.

Offseason Free Agent Targets:

Michael Hoomanawanui
Will Svitek
Dane Fletcher
Aqib Talib

Offseason Salary Cap Casualties:

Adrian Wilson, 34 years old
Tommy Kelly, 33 years old
Isaac Sopoaga, 32 years old

At least Marquice Cole is no longer on the 53 man roster.

If you let Edelman go, you can prob sign Mack. Not sure I'd do that. It's probably easier to get production from draft/cheaper free agents on the interior of the offensive line than our primary outside target.

I don't particularly want Edelman to go. Love the kid. But he's only had 1 fully healthy and productive season, and I wouldn't overspend. I think he's a perfect "Pats-type player" and I hope he'll choose to stay with the team, but the market usually overspends for WRs and if that ends up being the case I'd be fine with Alex Mack and a 1 year "prove it" deal for Jeremy Maclin while the rookies develop. If Maclin indeed proves it we could probably afford to sign him in 2015, when Danny Amendola could be a potential cut if he doesn't show he's worth the money. Josh Boyce could potentially develop into a guy who could take on that role by that time. Emmanuel Sanders could also be a viable Edelman replacement at lower cost if Edelman breaks the bank.

Again, I'm not suggesting it. It all depends on Edelman and where his heart and head are at. But it's certainly an option.

Arthur Jones, thats all.

The pats should focus

trying to sign a mid level wide ou that can run.

the pats should get talib and sign another corner.

Im talking brent grimes sam shields

The pats should focus

trying to sign a mid level wide ou that can run.

the pats should get talib and sign another corner.

Im talking brent grimes sam shields
This team does not need to sign two top corners in free agency. They've got talent at CB, just not quite good enough in the #1 spot without Talib. There are far too many other players that need upgrading before Dennard.

Belichick won't pay Mack ... he will draft Bryan Stork a center who can play all 5 OL positions.

This team does not need to sign two top corners in free agency. They've got talent at CB, just not quite good enough in the #1 spot without Talib. There are far too many other players that need upgrading before Dennard.

the pats offense is not that bad let everyone get healthy

if you sign another top corner with talib that would take the pats to the next level

I would throw money at Anquan Boldin. Look at his production in the playoffs and it's great. He's got size and enough left in the tank for a season or two. Arthur Jones would also be a safe signing. He won't blow anyone away statistically, but he's an upgrade over any of the DTs that were left and I don't think Vince/Kelly will be the same coming off injuries.

i would throw him $$ as well..just not much $$ at all. He's old.

I'm fine with that but I think it would be a while before Scar would allow him to run the OL. If they can get a C in the 3rd then i am all for it, but I would like to see 1 and 2 go to TE and WR. I think the Alex mack talk is a pipedream and Swanson will be gone before they pick in the 2nd, and i would not use a 1st on him.

I don't know, Dan Koppen started right away. I wouldn't mind Travis Swanson at center via the draft. Scar transforms low round/up drafted picks into serviceable starters. He turns high round picks into pro bowlers. Just depends if they feel like they have that kind of player in this draft.

the pats offense is not that bad let everyone get healthy

if you sign another top corner with talib that would take the pats to the next level

I hope the Pats' offense isn't that bad, because if you want two of the top CBs this free agency, then you don't really have the cap room for much else.

I hope the Pats' offense isn't that bad, because if you want two of the top CBs this free agency, then you don't really have the cap room for much else.

you get brent grimes the pats could make a geat superbowl run.

let the young players play at wide out

Here are my very early offseason targets in no particular order. Not saying the Pats should go after all of them or that they can afford some of them. Just guys I think the Pats should consider pursuing.

BTW, I am only focusing on other teams' free agents and not the Pats' for this exercise.

Jeremy Maclin - Already said he would play on an one year prove it deal. He is going to look for an offense where he can get production (i.e. with a good QB) for a big contract in 2015. If he is back to close to 100%, he is a dynamic player.

Anquan Boldin - Clearly not the player he once was, but he can still take over the game at times and will likely come cheap. He is an outside presence opposite Dobson that the Pats need.

Scott Chandler - A guy who has given the Pats fits at times. Good, not a great TE. A good compliment to Gronk and can fill in his shoes if he is injured.

Brandon Pettigrew - He will probably be too expensive to take the risk on, but he is a guy with all world talent who has yet to put it together. Someone may throw a lot of money at him thinking he could be that guy.

Hakeem Nicks - Only if his injury history and poor production last year lowers his market. Otherwise, he is too much of an injury risk. A great receiver when healthy though.

Arthur Jones - Chandler's brother. A solid, yet unspectacular DE/DT. Versatile.

Lamarr Houston - Doesn't get the spotlight because where he plays (Oakland). The guy is a big and athletic DE/DT who is very disruptive. He is probably looking to leave for a place where he can win.

Linval Joseph - Unlikely the Giants will let him hit free agency, but a big body that can tie up defenders and stop the run. Decent pass rush ability.

Michael Johnson - Pats were rumored to be pursuing him last year before he was franchised. A down year might lower his value.

Alex Mack - A great young center. The Browns will need to sign him to a deal before free agency because the franchise tag isn't an option because all o-linemen are grouped together and is going to be around $10 million.

James Jones - After a severe case of dropsies early in his career, he has become a dependable WR. Had a down year because of a PCL sprain. So he could come at a value price. A good fast receiver with pretty good size.

Why would you assume that Anquan Boldin is going to come "cheap," yet Brandon Pettigrew is going to be way too expensive? Boldin is still an incredible talent, and the entire NFL continued to see that this season. I doubt he gets the 6million that he received last year, but according to his tweet today, he's preparing to stay in SF. Why SF would let him go would be beyond me.

Jeremy Maclin is an option for a one year prove it deal, but he's not even 100% sure that he'll be ready for OTAs yet, and is coming off a major injury. I would still take a chance on Maclin, but that's also assuming that he'll even hit the market and Kelly won't be keeping him.

Alex Mack is one of the premier centers in the entire league, and CLE has what, like 40-45 million dollars worth of cap space? If people here are actually considering the thought of US franchising Aqib Talib in our cap strapped situation, then why couldn't CLE afford to franchise Alex Mack? I don't imagine that they'll be letting him walk, and even if they did, we certainly can't afford to allocate that much money to our OL between Solder coming up, the salary that Mankins makes, the recent extension of Vollmer, and a way too high cap hit for Dan Connelly. It'd be great if Mack came here, but the chances are extremely low because he'll command top dollar.

I like the following: TE Chandler, DL A.Jones, WR James Jones--and possibly WR Maclin if we could get him for a reasonable price and he recovers from injury

going to need a lot more then grimes to win a SB...this O needs help. DRC is a FA as well

I doubt he gets the 6million that he received last year, but according to his tweet today, he's preparing to stay in SF. Why SF would let him go would be beyond m

He is a FA...so SF can't really let him go..just get him back. But i thin he is staying in SF. He may even take less to play for them. It's him and crabtree...that's it. SF has to keep him

One thing to remember in free agency is that many fans and posters make crazy assumptions and predictions about fantastical thoughts from talent around the league.

Our chance to get Brent Grimes was last year, but Belichick passed. Grimes is more than happy in Miami, and has made it well known that he plans on staying as long as they want him to. He really likes the area and doesn't want to relocate again. On top of that, Miami is coming off of a season where they made a lot of noise until the end when they fizzled out. My guess is that they are happy with their situation at the moment and won't want to walk away from a great CB.

Also, regarding your thoughts at WR--we definitely need to at least do one of the following, although I'd prefer that they did both. Either way, it's going to cost money:

--retain Edelman

--go after another viable option

He is a FA...so SF can't really let him go..just get him back

They can certainly prevent him from leaving in free agency, just the same way that any team can with their current free agents, which was my point.

Why SF would let a great talent go like that is beyond me. He's still performing at an extremely high level and won't even be costing the 6 million that he did this year. He wants to stay there, and they seem to want him. You'd have to be pretty dumb to let a guy like Boldin go for the 4--4.5 million or so that he'll be getting, especially when you're in a fairly good cap situation due to having your franchise QB under a cheap rookie deal.

Grimes should have been signed this past offseason. As for the FA list in the OP, give me Alex Mack and James Jones off of that.

Grimes should have been signed this past offseason. As for the FA list in the OP, give me Alex Mack and James Jones off of that.

I agree about Grimes. I think our opportunity passed us by on that one.

As far as Mack, I can't see how we'd actually have the money to compete for him, nor can I see why CLE would be dumb enough to let him go with all of the money they have. I don't see how we could afford to sign a major OL like that with Solder due soon, Mankins' high hit, Vollmer's recent extension for good money, and Connelly's overpriced cap hit in 2014.

going to need a lot more then grimes to win a SB...this O needs help

He is a FA...so SF can't really let him go..just get him back. But i thin he is staying in SF. He may even take less to play for them. It's him and crabtree...that's it. SF has to keep him

The offense is young.

the pats have a solid ok defense you get brent grimes talib grimes dennard that is a great secndary

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes