PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Tim Tebow Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is funny that people have these myths about Tebow. Fact is he is more accurate and throws less inteceptions than Stafford who could be the number 1 pick.

You take Jean Shorts Jesus and I'll take Stafford. Stafford has a big time arm and played in a Pro offense. JSJ basically played in the wildcat, he made one read, and if the guy wasn't open he ran. He is not going to be a full time NFL QB.

It is funny that people have these myths about Tebow. Fact is he is more accurate and throws less inteceptions than Stafford who could be the number 1 pick.

Hey, just because someone doesn't like Tebow doesn't mean they like Stafford. This is an awful QB draft in my mind. Also, from what I saw, Tebow wasn't asked to do nearly as much in the passing game as Stafford, but I didn't see enough of Stafford during the year to declare that with any real certainty.

You take Jean Shorts Jesus and I'll take Stafford. Stafford has a big time arm and played in a Pro offense. JSJ basically played in the wildcat, he made one read, and if the guy wasn't open he ran. He is not going to be a full time NFL QB.

Stafford played against the same defenses as Tebow, Tebow read them better and was certainly not as erratic. Stafford had the advantage of a lot of teams playing 8 men in the box because of Moreno. Stafford is Ryan Leaf with less ability. Look at all the offensive talent that was around Stafford and he still looked lost. NFL defenses are much better than Hawaii's. Good luck to whoever takes him. I hope he falls to the Jets.

Last edited:
Hey, just because someone doesn't like Tebow doesn't mean they like Stafford. This is an awful QB draft in my mind. Also, from what I saw, Tebow wasn't asked to do nearly as much in the passing game as Stafford, but I didn't see enough of Stafford during the year to declare that with any real certainty.

I was just comparing him to a guy that could be the number 1 pick.

Peter King is so incredibly stupid and susceptible to swallowing the hype surrounding an athlete whole (not to mention all the other things I'm sure he swallows whole), that no one should take anything he says with even a grain of salt. Tebow is a marginal NFL QB prospect, because he hasn't shown great ability at the most important thing an NFL quarterback does, which is THROW THE BALL. This happens every year, and every year some stupid team wastes a high pick on a guy like this. Tavaris Jackson is a starter in the league because of this. I'll take the scrawny guy that can't move at all and weighs 190 pounds soaking wet if he's got a good arm and consistently delivers the ball to the target accurately after going through his progressions.

Doug%20Flutie.jpg

OK, so he can run. . . . :D

Last edited:

I saw everyone of Stafford's games, he played pretty well all year. It took him a while to get used to his new stud frosh WR (AJ Green or Randy Moss Jr at 6'4", he is going to be a real stud) but he a great year. He had several games where his recievers let balls bounce off their chests for INTs. But he absolutely toasted LSU, Kentucky, Auburn, and GA Tech at the end of the year.

The guy I would love to see the Pats pick up in the later rounds in the GA receiver Mohammed Massaquoi, he just always seems to make the big catch (ala Troy Brown when they need it)

Last edited:
First you're adverse to an individual, which I echo, now you're adverse to a group? I'm not talking 2-3 players, but a draft class that could have 6-10 or more 3-4 capable DL in the first three rounds. Richard Seymour is entering his 9th season, Jarvis Green his 8th, Ty Warren his 7th, they are all of them top players, but at some point NE must consider adding more talent to the depth behind them. Most potential 3-4 DL in this class are late round/UDFA kids who will probably require a lot of work to develop. With Denver and Green Bay joining the 3-4 pool...

OK, that's a good point.

That's really all I have to say. :bye2:

Stafford played against the same defenses as Tebow, Tebow read them better and was certainly not as erratic. Stafford had the advantage of a lot of teams playing 8 men in the box because of Moreno. Stafford is Ryan Leaf with less ability. Look at all the offensive talent that was around Stafford and he still looked lost. NFL defenses are much better than Hawaii's. Good luck to whoever takes him. I hope he falls to the Jets.

Stafford lost his stud LT before the season even started, then he lost his RT who moved to LT in the first game, in the end they had a True freshmen at Center and Right Guard. They ended the year with only 7 scholarship O-Lineman able to play.

As big as Tebow is, he looks like a chick throwing the football. He takes a long time to set and throw the football, usually throws to the guy he is looking at the entire time and doesn't have very good arm strength. If the guy he's intended to throw to is covered, he takes off running. That crap is not going to work in the NFL. See Vince Young. All successful QB's have to throw eventually. He is the epitome of a specific "system QB". Any team is going to have to recreate their entire offense for this guy. Tebow is not a guy that would do well with pro style offenses where they are going to have to make multiple reads. He's a lot like Alex Smith in the regard of running 99.9% of their offense out of the shotgun. He's basically Chad Pennington on steroids who can run people over.

Last edited:
As big as Tebow is, he looks like a chick throwing the football. He takes a long time to set and throw the football, usually throws to the guy he is looking at the entire time and doesn't have very good arm strength. If the guy he's intended to throw to is covered, he takes off running. That crap is not going to work in the NFL. See Vince Young. All successful QB's have to throw eventually. He is the epitome of a specific "system QB". Any team is going to have to recreate their entire offense for this guy. Tebow is not a guy that would do well with pro style offenses where they are going to have to make multiple reads. He's a lot like Alex Smith in the regard of running 99.9% of their offense out of the shotgun. He's basically Chad Pennington on steroids who can run people over.

I imagine the same was said of Steve Young.

Again watch some video instead of having a pack mentality, his release is just as quick as Stafford or Sanchez.

I guess only guys drafted in the first round can be good quarterbacks:rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with mobility, as well. But first things first. An NFL QB has to be able to pass the ball, first, last, and always. Tebow doesn't do that at more than an average collegiate level, and never will qualify at the NFL level. See Mike Vick, or Paul Hornung. :(
Kid's been 2nd and 4th in the country in Passing efficiency the past couple of years, and he's an average collegiate passer?

Comparing him to Michael Vick as a passer is an insult to Tebow. Vick completed 56% of his passes, and had a TD/INT ratio of less than 2-to-1.

After three years, Tebow has a completion percentage more than 10 points higher than Vick, and a TD/INT ratio of about 6-to-1.

I imagine the same was said of Steve Young.

Again watch some video instead of having a pack mentality, his release is just as quick as Stafford or Sanchez.

I guess only guys drafted in the first round can be good quarterbacks:rolleyes:

Do you think I just made this up? Obviously I have watched Tebow to come to this conclusion. I have seen him play many games and I laugh when commentators say how great he is and how he should be a first round pick. He is a great college QB but would make a terrible NFL QB. He telegraphs every throw that would probably be picked off in the NFL. His release is so slow, most DB's will be in the spot the WR's suposed to be in before Tebow even releases it. If Tebow's man isn't open, he freaks out and takes off with the ball. Tebow will end up with an offense like Pittsburgh, Miami or any team that run a ton of WR picks just to get guys open. Don't get me wrong, every team runs WR picks every now and then, but the teams I listed above do it on a regular basis. I'll admit, he made some great throws in the BCS title game, but he struggled for the most part. Oklahoma gave a sample of how NFL teams will game plan for Tebow by making him throw and not run around. However, I can't see this guy being a drop back QB from week to week. You can tell he doesn't like to throw 30-40 times a game if need be. He would rather be in an offense like the west coast where the furthest ball you need to throw is 20-30 yards and rely on WR's to get yards after the catch or give him the option to take off.

And no, you don't have to be a first round pick to be a successful NFL QB. I haven't seen Stafford play and I wouldn't trust Sanchez for a couple reasons. One, he came from USC, had superior talent and mostly played teams with lessor talent. Second, Sanchez has been a starter for only one season. What nerve does this guy have to think he is going to go right into the NFL and be successful? Third, this guy is a lot like Matt Leinart and John Booty David where they struggle early and then pad their stats when the games are out of reach thanks to their ridiculous stable of RB's. I have watched every USC game this year and I don't think Sanchez is that good. His career is going to go one of two ways, he was the real deal leaving USC or he was a moron to leave USC after only playing one season. In the end, any team that drafts him in the first round is taking a huge gamble.

eh... this offseason is going to be filled with filler. A BUNCH of filler.

That means the Lions will draft him at #1 next year then;)

He telegraphs every throw that would probably be picked off in the NFL. His release is so slow, most DB's will be in the spot the WR's suposed to be in before Tebow even releases it. If Tebow's man isn't open, he freaks out and takes off with the ball.
In other words, like 99% of college quarterbacks, he's got some mechanical issues and would need some period of adjustment?

Oklahoma gave a sample of how NFL teams will game plan for Tebow by making him throw and not run around.
Ummm... you do realize that Tebow ran for 100+ yards against Oklahoma, right?

He just had a mediocre game against Oklahoma. I don't think it had anything to do with the Sooners.

And the most NFL-ready look Tebow got all year was from Alabama... and he pretty much shredded them.

OK, let's turn this into a general question. Tebow's merits aside, do you think it would EVER make sense to trade aggressively toward the following year's first round in order to target one specific college player? My instinct is "absolutely not," that's the height of the classic no-no of falling too much in love with one prospect. But can anybody imagine a scenario in which this strategy could possibly make sense, given then unknowns of a future draft?

Well, a few years ago I wanted to trade a late first round pick (maybe Mankins) to a league doormat for their first the next year (either Detroit, Tennessee, or 49ers) to get a top 5 pick and get Ahmad Brooks, whom I was sure would be just what we needed. Of course, two things happened:

1) Brooks didn't go into the draft that year, becoming a supplemental pick instead after running into some off-field problems, and

2) When healthy, he hasn't been that good.

If the Patriots don't think they can re-sign Wilfork, I guess it's possible they have Cody in their long-range sights.... if they were to trade Cassel for a 2010 #1 pick from a team that isn't expected to be good. Worst case scenario is that you don't get your guy because the team is drafting lower than expected or your guy goes earlier than anticipated, and you get to draft another good player.

Last edited:
In other words, like 99% of college quarterbacks, he's got some mechanical issues and would need some period of adjustment?

Ummm... you do realize that Tebow ran for 100+ yards against Oklahoma, right?

He just had a mediocre game against Oklahoma. I don't think it had anything to do with the Sooners.

And the most NFL-ready look Tebow got all year was from Alabama... and he pretty much shredded them.

Objectivity is sometimes a useful tool when one is too close to the specimen in question.

Objectivity is sometimes a useful tool when one is too close to the specimen in question.
I'm really trying to be objective.

I'm not suggesting the Patriots would be or should be interested in Tebow.

I'm not suggesting that the should be a first round pick.

That said, I don't understand how people can be so quick to dismiss Tebow as something other than a QB at the next level. He's got good size, good mobility for a QB, a strong arm, he doesn't turn the ball over, and he's fairly accurate. These all strike me as enormous check marks in his column.

Would he have to work on speeding up his release? Yes. Would he have to work on his footwork and other mechanics? Absolutely. Would he have to get used to taking snaps under center and making more complex reads? Sure.

I just think some NFL team will take a shot on him as a QB. There's too much raw material to work with. Unless working with his new QB coach can clean up his mechanics and footwork, I see Tebow as a 2nd or 3rd round pick that a team will develop for two or three years behind an established starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back