PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My thoughts on BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelocatedPatFan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
At the End of the day, the New England Patriots are a winning franchise and I'd like to think on these thoughts for a few moments. Kraft keeps BB and staff around for a very good reason (or probably many millions of reasons) and I'm certainly thankful to have one of, if not THE best coach in football or any pro sport history as our own.

All of this is known, but I’d like to point out why people don’t understand why we win (in the positive):
  • Despite the fact that Bill has been in the same “system” for 15+ years, he’s still working full tilt. This is an unappreciated source of his coaching. The team is not scraping its system every few years like most teams. His coaching style is to always focus on improving the process, communication, and the people around him. He has practice and preparation down to a science that other teams would have to marvel at.
    • Think about it, his system is probably 10 years more advanced/tuned than the typical NFL team.
    • I would love to see how he packages information to players. It must be the perfect combination of chunking of information into its most compact and efficient form.
    • His protégé’s haven’t been able to duplicate this level of detail. Makes me think there’s plenty that is in his or Ernie Adams head (or other BB life staffers) that makes it tough for other coaches to understand. They may see the end result, but have problems reverse engineering it? At the same time, BB is grooming people so not sure how true if my prior comments have any truth.
  • BB isn’t afraid to make the unpopular decisions. He does what he says he does and always puts the team’s best players on the field. Whether they be 1st round picks, UDFA, or a 6th round 199th pick that seems to understand the teams goals better than the veteran QB who was very good.
    • Also, each player knows their assignment and if they can’t understand or they feel the need to freelance, then they’ll find themselves sitting. BB is the best at extracting every ounce of talent and skill a player has because he has a goal and can explain it clearly. More often than not, he’s right.
    • Each player has a chance to be a starter and/or contribute in meaningful way. Being a high draft pick doesn’t guarantee you’ll even make the team, though he’s patient enough to give them a couple years to adapt to the Pro game. But he’s never afraid to cut his losses.
  • Last night is a good example of what a good coach does and he mentions this in the “Do Your Job” special. Coaches lose games, but players win them.
    • By taking the lead in this style of communication, he allows his players to maintain focus in front of them.
    • By not complaining (rarely) he allows his team to maintain focus in front of them.
    • Other teams waste energy thinking of the past and not turning the page.
    • “When you lose say nothing. When you win, say less.” – Paul Brown by seems to be a quote of days gone past. I wonder what Paul Brown would say about those teams who feel they have some external reason (other than play on the field) for why they didn't compete well or win.
  • BB has figured out modern era football – The Free Agent system is suppose to help provide parity. Call it moneyball or good use of his economic degree. But, BB understands players and football the way Warren Buffet understands companies. Price is what you pay, Value is what you get.
    • He doesn’t overpay for nostalgia or past performance. This is hurtful for players and fans alike, but goes towards putting the best product on the field.
  • BB is almost like a cold war coach and the old tricks that seem to have been long forgotten or never learned by the newer/younger generation of coaches still have some value.
  • BB is employs a system of constant self-review and improvement. He never assumes the status quo will last and is always searching for new and interesting ways to add new wrinkles. From reviewing plays from Division 3 football teams to seeing a play used by a team and applying it to other parts of the team (i.e. sees a special team play and applies it to offense).

It will be interesting to see how BB handles the manufactured controversies with this team as the NFL has declared open season on them and the media is all too happy to pile on. I imagine nothing will change. They’ll hear the accusations, not comment on them, but use it as motivation to focus and handle business on the field.

I would like to like to take his style as my own and focus on the good and leave the noise behind us. It will be tough and I’ll try to see the humor in it. But, we only have so many years left to us having BB and Brady. I plan to make sure I remember why they are the best and appreciate their greatness. There will come a time to reflect, but I will to see the humor in the sour grapes and “try” not to let it affect me. This is a game after all and if it aint fun, why bother. Just remember, people might complain, most would never admit it, but not many of them wouldn't change places with our success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back