PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

I tend to think that Tripp would be a mistake. If Collins is the new way of Belichick thinking then Tripp is the old.

Can you explain that?

Can you explain that?

Actually I can't because I slipped up. I was thinking of Starr not Tripp. I got the two confused for a moment. Tripp is actually much more like Collins, my bad.

Actually I can't because I slipped up. I was thinking of Starr not Tripp. I got the two confused for a moment. Tripp is actually much more like Collins, my bad.

Good, because it made no sense to me. I think Tripp is one of the better fits for what I want in a LB for this defense.

Good, because it made no sense to me. I think Tripp is one of the better fits for what I want in a LB for this defense.

I would totally agree with that. I'm anxious to see how this all translates on the football field. As the D currently stands it's probably as athletic do a defense as BB has ever had.

But Tripp is a day 2 pick, would he be that much better then Pierre-Louis late day 3 ?

But Tripp is a day 2 pick, would he be that much better then Pierre-Louis late day 3 ?

Interesting question. The simple answer is that Tripp is better but....

I think they're two different players. I actually like Tripp as a MLB (but can play all three positions) that can use his athleticism to get sideline to sideline and to drop into a deep zone coverage. I compared him to Kiko Alonso, someone else here (sorry, can't remember who) made a Brian Urlacher comp and I've seen Luke kuechly used as well (all cliched white man comps but all reasonable too). KPL is a WILL only or a LB/S hybrid and should be a special teams demon. I like him as a Ryan Shazier-lite. I said elsewhere that these two are the two I like best in light of Fletcher's departure, and I do so precisely because I think they offer different roles. And the Patriots have shown interest in both too.

Not as a base defense but how about something like this...

Personnel:
DE x2
DT x2
NT x1
LB x2
CB x3
FS x1

Lined up like:
DE: C gap
DT: B gap
NT: 2 gaps directly over the center

The Pats almost have the players to do it: Browner & Collins can match up if there's 2 TEs, 3 corners obviously means it can work against 3 WR sets too. DEs could chip any TE/RB going into a route because of where they line up or even drop into zones and bring the LBs up the A gaps.

Not as a base defense but how about something like this...

Personnel:
DE x2
DT x2
NT x1
LB x2
CB x3
FS x1

Lined up like:
DE: C gap
DT: B gap
NT: 2 gaps directly over the center

The Pats almost have the players to do it: Browner & Collins can match up if there's 2 TEs, 3 corners obviously means it can work against 3 WR sets too. DEs could chip any TE/RB going into a route because of where they line up or even drop into zones and bring the LBs up the A gaps.

I like a nickel 4-3-4 with 3CBs and Mccourty as safety but the third linebacker is a safety/LB hybrid. A very explosive player like Shazier or KPL that can be used in coverage but also can be used as a blitzer while Collins drops. Or you could drop both the hybrid or Collins or blitz both of them. And all the while, Mayo can be used as a zone defender guarding the middle of the field, as a tampa-2 MLB covering a deeper middle or a spy on a mobile QB.

I like a nickel 4-3-4 with 3CBs and Mccourty as safety but the third linebacker is a safety/LB hybrid. A very explosive player like Shazier or KPL that can be used in coverage but also can be used as a blitzer while Collins drops. Or you could drop both the hybrid or Collins or blitz both of them. And all the while, Mayo can be used as a zone defender guarding the middle of the field, as a tampa-2 MLB covering a deeper middle or a spy on a mobile QB.

That's essentially a "big nickel" package, and it certainly could be used very effectively.

OTOH, if you have a base 4-3-4 where either OL can effectively play a LB/S role, then you effectively blur the line between your "base" and "nickel". Jamie Collins is probably capable of doing that. Christian Jones or Jordan Tripp might be, as well.

Oliver Thomas profiles Florida St. DT Jimmy Jernigan in detail:

2014 NFL Draft Close-Up: Florida State Defensive Tackle Timmy Jernigan | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

I really like Jernigan's game. The problem is, as Manx has nicely pointed out, he's got essentially the same game as Caraun Reid, and he doesn't have the explosiveness of Aaron Donald (or Dominique Easley). Nice combination of run stopping and penetrating capability. I'd be happy to get either Jernigan or Reid, but at this point I'm hoping that someone else takes him ahead of Aaron Donald.

Nice breakdown from Matt Bowen (who also writes for the NFP) on how Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner may impact the defense:

Patriots' Secondary Additions Prove Bill Belichick's Ability to Adapt | Bleacher Report

Of note:

Cover 1 (or any single-high-safety defense) should be at the top of the call sheet every week for the Patriots defense after picking up Revis and Browner via free agency, but there is always room to get creative and use game plan-specific schemes when you have corners who can win in man coverage.

I expect the Patriots to use man pressure often with the amount of depth they have at the cornerback position. Look for five- and six-man pressure schemes out of both nickel and dime packages.

But what about playing some combination man, or Cover 7?

This gives the Patriots the ability to “set some traps” in the secondary and disguise their pre-snap alignments while also bringing pressure with five or six defensive backs on the field.

And with a talent like Revis, the Patriots can roll their coverages, eliminate a slot receiver (bracket) and play man trail (2-Man) away from the cornerback in Cover 7.

Yes, please.

Derek Havens talks about Brandon Browner with John Boyle of the Seattle Daily Herald:

Boyle on Browner: Brings Toughness and Intimidation Factor Rarely Seen from a Cornerback :Derek's Patriots Blog

Of note:

“Browner’s biggest strength is obviously his physicality,” Boyle said. “When he gets his hands on a receiver in press coverage, that receiver is pretty much out of the play. He also brings toughness and intimidation factor rarely seen from a corner.”

Bigger and more physical DB play. Yum.

“It’s hard to say for me how he’d be at safety just because we haven’t seen him do it here, but I do think putting him at safety would take away one of his best attributes in his ability to disrupt at the line of scrimmage,” said Boyle. “That being said, his size and ability to hit makes it an intriguing idea. You know Belichick a lot better than me, but based on what I do know, I could certainly see the Patriots getting creative with him, maybe in some sort of hybrid corner/safety role.”

I came across this article by Mike Dassault of Pats' Propaganda, written just after the AFCCG loss to the Broncos:

3 Changes the New England Patriots Must Make on Defense | Bleacher Report

Dassault points out that since 2010 the Pats' D has had the worst 3rd down % in the NFL, and has given up the most plays over 20 yards. Egregious.

Dassault focused on 3 areas:

1. The interior pass rush:

"The interior defensive line has the quickest line to the quarterback, and that's where the Patriots should focus—especially for their base defense, as nearly 50 percent of the big plays they've given up in the last four seasons have been on first down."

2. The sub rusher position:

"Generating a consistent pass rush for four quarters is a group effort, and it's clear that the Pats need to upgrade their defensive ends to become less reliant on Jones and Ninkovich."

3. Retaining Aqib Talib:

"They can't afford to go back to the kind of primary-zone defense that gets eaten alive every time they try to run it against the better quarterbacks. There are no elite defenses without an elite corner, and Talib is as close as the Pats have gotten to one since Ty Law."

#3 has been addressed beyond our wildest dreams with the FA acquisitions of Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner. I don't think those acquisitions were made to run a primary zone defense.

#1 and #2 remain issues to be addressed. #1 is why I'm so eager to get a disruptor like Aaron Donald or Dominique Easley who can blow up plays on the front end.

Great find. Having the worst 3rd-down % in the league while Tom Feckin Brady sits
on his arse is worse than a crime, Bill, it's a sin. Now go get some damn pass-rushers;
if it means releasing Wilfork in order to do so, then do it, ASAP.

Great find. Having the worst 3rd-down % in the league while Tom Feckin Brady sits
on his arse is worse than a crime, Bill, it's a sin. Now go get some damn pass-rushers;
if it means releasing Wilfork in order to do so, then do it, ASAP.

2 thoughts:

1. Obviously, what we were doing the past 4 years wasn't working, whether it was a failure of scheme, personnel, technique, or a combination of all 3.

2. The Pats' have gone 51-13 since 2010, have scored 500+ points 3 times in that period, and have made it to 3 AFCCG's and 1 SB, all while having the worst 3rd down defense and giving up the most plays over 20 yards during that period. Talk about wasting an opportunity to win more SB's during Brady's golden years.

Time to get some improved pressure to go with the improved coverage capability.

Now that the d backfield has been addressed i would thing that teams would try to run more on the pats. A number of people been touting A Donald as the player to draft at DT, but at 285 lbs hes to light to man the middle no matter if he is as strong as an ox, he'll wear down.

Now that the d backfield has been addressed i would thing that teams would try to run more on the pats. A number of people been touting A Donald as the player to draft at DT, but at 285 lbs hes to light to man the middle no matter if he is as strong as an ox, he'll wear down.

Any player, no matter if he is as strong as an ox, will wear down. Some of us complained for years that having Vince Wilfork play such a high snap count would increase his wear and tear and risk of injury. The key is having depth, a strong rotation, and pacing players.

Chris Jones is an excellent backup 3-tech with good penetrating ability - an ability that was essentially lost as we wore him down by playing him so much out of necessity. Regardless of whether Donald or someone else gets drafted, the key is rotating players and keeping them from getting worn down too much.

The league is still a passing league. I don't think that pass-first teams are going to suddenly morph into run-heavy offenses. Donald is a solid run-defender and is very strong for his size, and should be more than capable of holding is own. He blows up running plays by getting penetration, not by 2-gapping. Against certain teams with more of a power-running set, I could see other personnel getting used.

If Donald happens to be available you draft him and Justin Ellis and address both the run and the pass.

If Donald happens to be available you draft him and Justin Ellis and address both the run and the pass.

Or Zach Kerr. Either has the potential to be outstanding. Look at Damon "Big Snacks" Harrison - he was a UDFA in 2012, and was an impact run stopper last year. You can find dominant run stoppers on day 3, or even as UDFAs. And Sealver Siliga has the potential to develop into a Harrison-type run stopper. Last year was the first time he really got on the field and into a consistent situation, and he has plenty of room to develop.

With reports that Armond Armstead may finally be getting healthy, that's another potential option for the Pats at both DT and DE.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...s_notebook_armond_armstead_may_be_in_line_to

In the current salary cap era, all teams need to get quality production from low-cost guys. If Armstead and Michael Buchanan could make significant steps, it would have a huge impact on the defensive line.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back