PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

Just curious because Kyed and Underhill both said they thought he would struggle at SS. I would like also like to see a day 3 safety for depth purposes. I have always liked Dowling, I watched Quanterus Smith last yr and Dowling was making plays all over the place, but it is concerning that he was kicked out of Florida.

I read both reports. I don't particularly put much stock in them. IIRC, Kyed felt that playing Browner at SS would take away the benefit of having him bump receivers off their routes.

Again, I'm not particularly focused right now on exactly how Browner is used, and I think that he'll be used in a variety of ways. The magnitude of his contract suggests that the FO viewed him as an important chess piece, and I think he could have a significant impact on the defense in more than one role. I'm not critically invested in one scenario, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

I think they signed Browner to be a TE killer. Look at last years AFCCG, Collins was too green and McCourty was too small to match up with Julius Thomas. Enter Browner, same height a little lighter but much more physical than Julius. Seahawks say that Browner was the originator of the "Boom" and was more physical and nasty than Kam Chancellor. If thats true, I like what's in store with us. :rocker:

I still like Exum in the 4th/5th round if we can acquire one as a safety convert

I think they signed Browner to be a TE killer. Look at last years AFCCG, Collins was too green and McCourty was too small to match up with Julius Thomas. Enter Browner, same height a little lighter but much more physical than Julius. Seahawks say that Browner was the originator of the "Boom" and was more physical and nasty than Kam Chancellor. If thats true, I like what's in store with us. :rocker:

I still like Exum in the 4th/5th round if we can acquire one as a safety convert

I think that "TE killer" will be one of his roles. The combination of Revis, Browner, and Collins (plus potentially another LB/S hybrid player, as the Pats have shown interest in those) will allow the Pats to match up with just about anyone. Collins and Browner allows the Pats to match up to teams with 2-TE sets, Browner and Revis allow them to match up against teams with bigger WRs, and Ryan and Arrington have the skill sets to match up against quicker WRs inside.

Consider some of the 2014 opponents:

1. Chicago. Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey and Marcellus Bennett.

2. Denver. Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Emanuel Sanders and Julius Thomas.

3. Detroit. Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Brandon Pettigrew, possibly a rookie WR.

4. Indianapolis. Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Coby Fleener.

5. Cincinnati. AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert.

Consider some of the 2014 opponents:

1. Chicago. Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey and Marcellus Bennett.

2. Denver. Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker, Emanuel Sanders and Julius Thomas.

3. Detroit. Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Brandon Pettigrew, possibly a rookie WR.

4. Indianapolis. Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Coby Fleener.

5. Cincinnati. AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert.
We really need to get another pass rusher.

We really need to get another pass rusher.

Yep, I think Armstead will surprise people but more pass rushers can never hurt.

It would be foolish to go into '14 without adding Nink and Jones insurance. A rotational 3rd DE is an absolute necessity, both of those guys played over 90% of the defensive snaps last year. That's just unsustainable.

It would be foolish to go into '14 without adding Nink and Jones insurance. A rotational 3rd DE is an absolute necessity, both of those guys played over 90% of the defensive snaps last year. That's just unsustainable.

Where have I heard this before?

Where have I heard this before?

A lot of check marks have been marked off the list. Very impressive so far.

Like some here I'm more than willing to trade up for Donald. If not I'm fine with going with D Ez (Easley) in the 2nd. Has a huge ceiling.

Not to sound selfish or irresponsible because Bill has given us a lot to be happy about. I'm hoping for a Alex Mack deal. As far as I'm concerned he is worth a 1st round pick, especially at 29. In his designation is 2 firsts a requirement?

Not to sound selfish or irresponsible because Bill has given us a lot to be happy about. I'm hoping for a Alex Mack deal. As far as I'm concerned he is worth a 1st round pick, especially at 29. In his designation is 2 firsts a requirement?

Mack got the transition tag which is essentially right of first refusal - make him an offer, if the Browns don't match he signs! Which is where the old poison pill could come in handy.

A lot of check marks have been marked off the list. Very impressive so far.

Like some here I'm more than willing to trade up for Donald. If not I'm fine with going with D Ez (Easley) in the 2nd. Has a huge ceiling.

I'm obviously with you on Donald or Easley.

At this point, I'd like to fill out a few holes in FA, and then I'd like to cut Wilfork and either make a run at Alex Mack or at Jared Allen. Mack would be my first preference, but it might be difficult to pry him loose from Cleveland. He would certainly shore up the interior OL, which is one of the highest priorities.

I haven't been a big fan of going after Jared Allen, but I'm warming to the idea a bit. The longer he sits on the market, the longer there might be a chance of finding a reasonable contractual middle ground. There is certainly a need for more pass rush, and better depth at DE. I also think that Allen would free up Rob Ninkovich to split time between DE and LB, giving us better depth at both positions. With Dane Fletcher moving on and Wes Woodyard failing to sigh, LB depth is an issue right now. Ninkovich is a solid starter, but his versatility is one of his biggest strengths, and the Pats really haven't been able to take advantage of it because they've had to use him as a base DE for the past 2 years.

If Allen were somehow to be signed, I could see him spending roughly 2/3 of his snaps as a base LDE, and 1/3 as a RDE. Ninkovich would divide his time between LDE in a base, playing a RDE/LEO/sub rusher, and playing LB. Armstead could also get some snaps at LDE as well as at DT, assuming he comes back healthy. Add in Buchanan, and draft a rookie LB like Christian Jones or Jordan Tripp, and you've get a solid rotation at both positions.

It's a longshot, but it's one that I'm a bit more open to than I was a week ago.

Again, this hasn't been fully accomplished, though the team has made some moves suggesting that this is a goal. Brandon Spikes is obviously moving on. The team showed interest in Dakoda Watson and had Wesley Woodyard in for a visit, though that didn't pan out. They have reportedly showed considerable interest in Kevin Pierre-Louis at Boston College's Pro Day. I think that we'll see more speed at the 2nd level. The Browner signing makes it easier to use Adrian Wilson as a pure hybrid S/LB (if he stays), and I think that the Pats' interest in Watson and Woodyard suggests that guys like Christian Jones, Jordan Tripp, Telvin Smith and Kevin Pierre-Loiuis will not be too far "outside the mold".

Where did you see this? First time I hear it and it is indeed interesting.

Where did you see this? First time I hear it and it is indeed interesting.

I got it from the ultimate insider source - Manx:

manxman2601 said:
Following on from the discussion about speed linebackers, it's interesting to note that Dekoda Watson who signed with the Jags said that the Pats were one of the teams that expressed an interest in him. His pre-draft measurables were 6-3, 226. 4.40 forty, 6.78 3-cone.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...aft-prospect-thread-page179.html#post3780697 (see post #1783)

Also, FWIW, the Pats worked out Watson privately in 2010:

Dekoda Watson Worked Out With Patriots | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2014 NFL Draft

Bummer. He would have been a nice blend of depth and growth potential. Great burst off the edge as a rush linebacker and can also play in space. Would have been a fun add.

I think it's interesting that the Pats showed interest in him in 2010. BB has consistently showed interest in smaller, faster LBs, and in LB/S hybrid players, even back in the heyday of the 3-4 2-gap defense:

- John Lynch in 2008
- Had Dekoda Watson in for a private workout 2010
- Rumored strong interest in Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner in 2012
- Adrian Wilson in 2013
- Brought Wes Woodyard in for a visit this year, and supposedly showed interest in Watson again; were reported to show significant interest in Kevin Pierre-Louis at BC's Pro Day

Given how this interest has persisted, I think it's likely to be something that won't go away until BB eventually finds someone who can play one of more of those roles. Ryan Shazier, Jordan Tripp, Christian Jones, Telvin Smith, Kevin Pierre-Louis - lots of interesting guys who could possibly fit.

I think it's interesting that the Pats showed interest in him in 2010. BB has consistently showed interest in smaller, faster LBs, and in LB/S hybrid players, even back in the heyday of the 3-4 2-gap defense:

- John Lynch in 2008
- Had Dekoda Watson in for a private workout 2010
- Rumored strong interest in Lavonte David and Bobby Wagner in 2012
- Adrian Wilson in 2013
- Brought Wes Woodyard in for a visit this year, and supposedly showed interest in Watson again; were reported to show significant interest in Kevin Pierre-Louis at BC's Pro Day

Given how this interest has persisted, I think it's likely to be something that won't go away until BB eventually finds someone who can play one of more of those roles. Ryan Shazier, Jordan Tripp, Christian Jones, Telvin Smith, Kevin Pierre-Louis - lots of interesting guys who could possibly fit.

He's been experimenting with the S/LB thing since Victor Green

I'm obviously with you on Donald or Easley.

At this point, I'd like to fill out a few holes in FA, and then I'd like to cut Wilfork and either make a run at Alex Mack or at Jared Allen. Mack would be my first preference, but it might be difficult to pry him loose from Cleveland. He would certainly shore up the interior OL, which is one of the highest priorities.

I haven't been a big fan of going after Jared Allen, but I'm warming to the idea a bit. The longer he sits on the market, the longer there might be a chance of finding a reasonable contractual middle ground. There is certainly a need for more pass rush, and better depth at DE. I also think that Allen would free up Rob Ninkovich to split time between DE and LB, giving us better depth at both positions. With Dane Fletcher moving on and Wes Woodyard failing to sigh, LB depth is an issue right now. Ninkovich is a solid starter, but his versatility is one of his biggest strengths, and the Pats really haven't been able to take advantage of it because they've had to use him as a base DE for the past 2 years.

If Allen were somehow to be signed, I could see him spending roughly 2/3 of his snaps as a base LDE, and 1/3 as a RDE. Ninkovich would divide his time between LDE in a base, playing a RDE/LEO/sub rusher, and playing LB. Armstead could also get some snaps at LDE as well as at DT, assuming he comes back healthy. Add in Buchanan, and draft a rookie LB like Christian Jones or Jordan Tripp, and you've get a solid rotation at both positions.

It's a longshot, but it's one that I'm a bit more open to than I was a week ago.

Its curious that the Pats haven't shown interest in Allen. He's former D Line coach is now here and there is an obvious need. I wonder if that says something about the coach's opinion of him.

Its curious that the Pats haven't shown interest in Allen. He's former D Line coach is now here and there is an obvious need. I wonder if that says something about the coach's opinion of him.

That's possible. It's also possible that they are playing this one very close. With the coaching connection, I'm sure there are lines of communication that are open.

Per Jason La Canfora and Ian Rapoport, Allen left Seattle today without a deal, and is going to take another week to "gauge the market". He has at least 1 more visit planned, and possibly more.

That's possible. It's also possible that they are playing this one very close. With the coaching connection, I'm sure there are lines of communication that are open.

Per Jason La Canfora and Ian Rapoport, Allen left Seattle today without a deal, and is going to take another week to "gauge the market". He has at least 1 more visit planned, and possibly more.

I hope so, I think he's actually a very good fit for us. I can't help but think that Adrian Wilson is somehow in their plans too. The whole training in Arizona with all the DBs thing is just strange. Seems like he knows he's in the plans.

I tend to think that Tripp would be a mistake. If Collins is the new way of Belichick thinking then Tripp is the old.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back