PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My biggest fear : The big WR & TE of JAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Since several seasons, all the bigs WR that the Pats play against got great games. This year, it's the same story. Against smalls and speedy receivers, the Patriots Def are solid but not with big guy. That's why I don't want to play against The Bengals and Chad, I prefer the COlts matchup. All the JAG's WR are Big and Jimmy Smith is alway under estimed. He is Probably one of the best in the game. Add to this TE Kyle Brady who can control the pressure of the def line of the Patriots and we are in trouble...

But as usual, our top players will be better than theirs. PLayers to have a big game in def are Mike Vrabel, Bruschi and Eugene Wilson with his big hit(in playoff he seems always made a memorable hit !?!). On Offense, the players to watch are Faulk-Pass with the killing screen pass and Graham(will he play?) with his great ability to block.

And like you notice, my english is poorest than ever!
(despite the fact that i read you every day!)

frenchypatsfan said:
Since several seasons, all the bigs WR that the Pats play against got great games. This year, it's the same story. Against smalls and speedy receivers, the Patriots Def are solid but not with big guy. That's why I don't want to play against The Bengals and Chad, I prefer the COlts matchup. All the JAG's WR are Big and Jimmy Smith is alway under estimed. He is Probably one of the best in the game. Add to this TE Kyle Brady who can control the pressure of the def line of the Patriots and we are in trouble...

But as usual, our top players will be better than theirs. PLayers to have a big game in def are Mike Vrabel, Bruschi and Eugene Wilson with his big hit(in playoff he seems always made a memorable hit !?!). On Offense, the players to watch are Faulk-Pass with the killing screen pass and Graham(will he play?) with his great ability to block.

You and our Italian friend make for fun reading, but please, what ever you do, do not try improving your english reading this board! :eek: I for one am a terrible speller and there's no spell check anywhere, beliveve me I've checked!!!! Besides, some of our more prolific posters will corrupt you, as they have me....
Seriously, love getting feedback from all countries, Pat's nation is for all!

Frenchy,

I agree the big WRs are a concern. That's why I think the Pats will try to confuse Leftwich with different pre-snap looks and disguised coverages, but then drop 7 or 8 players into coverage and take away the long ball. It's pretty obvious that the key to this game will be Leftwich. He's going to have to make consistantly good decisions and be very accurate on itermediate passes in order to keep the Jags in the game. I don't know if he can do that given his level of rustiness.

frenchypatsfan said:

You read me and your English is really going to be bad! ;)

Lets stop and think about the big RECEIVERs:

Randy Moss and Co. - nope, we won that game.
Brina Finneran and Algie Crumpler - nope, won that too.
Hines Ward - um, nope again.
Chris Chambers - nope, unless you count a two point win against the third string. :)

There's a trend developing here...who beat us?

Carolina with 5'9" Smith.
Denver with had a Smith.
San Diego had a big TE - no Smiths so that trend is out.
Indy - they have little guys and no Smiths.
KC - big TE - no Smiths

Big WRs can be a load, but you need more from the team overall if they're going to push us out of the playoffs.

PatsChick87 said:
You and our Italian friend make for fun reading, but please, what ever you do, do not try improving your english reading this board! :eek: I for one am a terrible speller and there's no spell check anywhere, beliveve me I've checked!!!! Besides, some of our more prolific posters will corrupt you, as they have me....
Seriously, love getting feedback from all countries, Pat's nation is for all!
87, I find that I can highlite a word then right click on it and get spelling options. I can also right click in the reply box and get spellcheck. Of course, this just might be superior Mac technology designed for the technology impaired. :(

Matt Jones, if leftwich has time, will beat us on saterday...

Rocks,

I don't think you can say that a WR single-handedly decided the ourcome of any of those games. Obviously, physical WRs (of which Moss is not one) like Ward and Booker have given the Pats problems. And there are very few teams whose WRs are as big as the Jaguars'. It doesn't mean they're going to beat us. Just that it looks like a mismatch. And if the Pats chose to play a lot of man coverage, it would indeed be a mismatch.

bucky said:
Rocks,

I don't think you can say that a WR single-handedly decided the ourcome of any of those games. Obviously, physical WRs (of which Moss is not one) like Ward and Booker have given the Pats problems. And there are very few teams whose WRs are as big as the Jaguars'. It doesn't mean they're going to beat us. Just that it looks like a mismatch. And if the Pats chose to play a lot of man coverage, it would indeed be a mismatch.
Bingo, we got bingo again! I've always said size doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Frenchy,

You're not from Biddeford, Maine, are you? You don't show a location.

Box_O_Rocks said:
87, I find that I can highlite a word then right click on it and get spelling options. I can also right click in the reply box and get spellcheck. Of course, this just might be superior Mac technology designed for the technology impaired. :(
No hope for the spelling challenged here! Mac trumps again! Thanks anyway!

Box_O_Rocks said:
You read me and your English is really going to be bad! ;)

Lets stop and think about the big RECEIVERs:

Randy Moss and Co. - nope, we won that game.
Brina Finneran and Algie Crumpler - nope, won that too.
Hines Ward - um, nope again.
Chris Chambers - nope, unless you count a two point win against the third string. :)

There's a trend developing here...who beat us?

Carolina with 5'9" Smith.
Denver with had a Smith.
San Diego had a big TE - no Smiths so that trend is out.
Indy - they have little guys and no Smiths.
KC - big TE - no Smiths

Big WRs can be a load, but you need more from the team overall if they're going to push us out of the playoffs.

Randy Moss = 5 rec - 130 y 1 TD(TD Kerry Collins passed to Randy Moss to the right for 73 yard gain )

Hines Ward = 4 rec 110y 2 TD(TD Ben Roethlisberger passed to Hines Ward to the right for 85 yard gain (Jeff Reed made PAT)

A. Gates = 6 rec 108 y (38 yard pass)

B. Finneran 5 103 20.6 53 0 0

A. Crumpler 6 99 16.5 28 1

E. Moulds 9 125 13.9 55 1 (TD Kelly Holcomb passed to Eric Moulds to the right for 55 yard gain (Rian Lindell made PAT)

R. McMichael 7 81 11.6 27 0 1
C. Chambers 6 69 11.5 17 2

And I don't talk about receivers at 6'0...

The point is the Patriots have difficulties to cover big and TALL receivers. Remember T.O last year in Superbowl. In fact, big WR always hurt Pats. With Harrison out, Kyle Brady in protection, Leftwitch accuracy, and toughness of this team plus th great work of their coach, it will be hardest than people seems to think.

frenchypatsfan said:
Randy Moss = 5 rec - 130 y 1 TD(TD Kerry Collins passed to Randy Moss to the right for 73 yard gain )

Hines Ward = 4 rec 110y 2 TD(TD Ben Roethlisberger passed to Hines Ward to the right for 85 yard gain (Jeff Reed made PAT)

A. Gates = 6 rec 108 y (38 yard pass) LT ran all over the defense.

B. Finneran 5 103 20.6 53 0 0 Good WR, I want him for the Pats - final score, NE had the higher numbers.

A. Crumpler 6 99 16.5 28 1 With Finneran and Crumpler and their best QB, Pats won.

E. Moulds 9 125 13.9 55 1 (TD Kelly Holcomb passed to Eric Moulds to the right for 55 yard gain (Rian Lindell made PAT) They lost to the Pats, with and without him.

R. McMichael 7 81 11.6 27 0 1 They split with the Pats - against the third string defense
C. Chambers 6 69 11.5 17 2 Ditto.

The point is the Patriots have difficulties to cover big and TALL receivers. True, but those WRs haven't made the difference in beating the Pats.

Remember T.O last year in Superbowl. Bad choice here, he had one big play off an illegal pick - and he was playing against an undrafted rookie the whole game.

In fact, big WR always hurt Pats. With Harrison out, Kyle Brady in protection, Leftwitch accuracy, and toughness of this team plus th great work of their coach, it will be hardest than people seems to think. Granted, this will be a tough game, but the coaching staff has been working on this game plan for two weeks, this game is being held in Gillette stadium in freezing weather - the ball will be a brick. Their team will have nerves to settle for their first playoff game. Their QB is young, third year, and BB's defenses confuse the devil out of young QBs.
The bottom line, it will be a hard fought game, but we have BB, Brady, and Bruschi. This is the time for faith in your team, they've proven it's not wasted.

frenchypatsfan said:

...and my French isn't great but:

Il ne faut pas "poster" en anglais. La plupart de gens intelligents parlent le Francais assez bien pour pouvoir lire vos "posts" en francais. Ce n'est pas important que les autres ne peuvent pas les lire.:D
Si vous voulez ameliorer le niveau de votre anglais, je suis de l'avis que vous devez "visiter" les "sites" britanniques!

PatsSaintsSox said:

I'd be more concerned about Wilford; Jags are 8-1 when he scores.

I think there'll be a lot of jamming at the line, and shifts to confuse Leftwich.

Pats win; no worries.

cubedoggy said:
I'd be more concerned about Wilford; Jags are 8-1 when he scores.

I think there'll be a lot of jamming at the line, and shifts to confuse Leftwich.

Pats win; no worries.
I see that Jeff 'cubepuppy' Roehl was re-signed to a futures contract! Life in Pats'land is never boring. :cool:

gomezcat said:
...and my French isn't great but:

Il ne faut pas "poster" en anglais. La plupart de gens intelligents parlent le Francais assez bien pour pouvoir lire vos "posts" en francais. Ce n'est pas important que les autres ne peuvent pas les lire.:D
Si vous voulez ameliorer le niveau de votre anglais, je suis de l'avis que vous devez "visiter" les "sites" britanniques!

Isn't this the part when the subtitles start showing up at the bottom of the screen?

PATSNUTme said:
Isn't this the part when the subtitles start showing up at the bottom of the screen?
Did you turn on your sub-titles and choose a language? Come to think of it, you did subscribe to our Super Delux Wallet Suctioning Service with dancing girls during the comercials?

frenchypatsfan said:

A. Gates = 6 rec 108 y (38 yard pass)

B. Finneran 5 103 20.6 53 0 0

A. Crumpler 6 99 16.5 28 1

E. Moulds 9 125 13.9 55 1 (TD Kelly Holcomb passed to Eric Moulds to the right for 55 yard gain (Rian Lindell made PAT)

R. McMichael 7 81 11.6 27 0 1
C. Chambers 6 69 11.5 17 2

The point is the Patriots have difficulties to cover big and TALL receivers. Remember T.O last year in Superbowl. In fact, big WR always hurt Pats. With Harrison out, Kyle Brady in protection, Leftwitch accuracy, and toughness of this team plus th great work of their coach, it will be hardest than people seems to think.

It seems that most of the stats you use came from games earlier in the
season. This is when the PATs front seven was having a difficult time
getting to the QB. Right? They really didn't this fixed until last 4 or 5 weeks of
the season.

If Jags QB has time to make good reads then you are right, PATs will have
a hard time. That's why BB has stressed it is Team Defense. Disrupting routes, pass rush, proper technique - play the hands - all of it has to
work together - timing is essential.

I'm tired of hearing the PATs have small Corners because it is not true.

Most of the starting CB's in the Playoffs are between 5'10 to 5'11'.
In fact there are only 3 CB's above 6' - Jags two corners and one of
Steelers Corners. There are only 5 CBs at 6'0

That means 2/3rds of the starting CBs in the Playoffs are just like the PATs CBs in terms of height that is less than 6'0

For example:
the Colts have 5'10 and 5'8 CBs while Pats have a 5'10 and 5'9 starting CB.

Once again, if Jags QB has time to make good reads then you are right, PATs
will have a hard time with their WRs but that would be the case if PATs
played Indy with it's shorter WRs. The Big WRs will not be the problem. IMO

If there is a problem Staturday night it will be because team defense is
lacking. If there is a problem look to see if PATs front 7 are getting to the QB.
If JAGs WRs are making big catches my bet is the front 7 can't put enough
pressure on the JAGs QB.

Last edited:
PatsSaintsSox said:

Jimmy Smith 70-1023-6
What a year. Had a few drops but shows no real sign of slowing down.Will he be worth the money next year. No! Will he redo his contract to stay a Jag and retire here. I believe so. A true pro, but will anyone pay him $5,000,000. No. Grade B+

Ernest Wilford 41-681-7

He had a outstanding year. Had spurts when he dominated. Had spurts when he would drop the ball and disapear. GRADE B-

R. Williams 35-445-0

Started out fast. Concussion slowed him down. Began to come on at the end of the year. Still needs work but is only 22 years old. ****y I like it. Can block,this is a huge asset GRADE C

M. Jones 36-432-5

When you look at his overal production you have to be happy.He had a mid-season slump that can't be all blamed on BL. He needs another season or 2 to become a complete receiver. He needs more YACS. Show a little life will ya Matt. This was a very good pickup for us. Grade C

A. Pearman 32-240-0

I know he is not a receiver but with 32 catches you have to put him in there. For what he was asked to do he was fantastic. Did he drop a pass all year? Grade C+

Brady,Wrighster,Jones 34-326-3

This is a very big problem. All year 34 catches by the whole team out of the TE position. BIG PROBLEM!
We need to address this in the draft as soon as possible. Or FA early March. If we let Brady go we better get a good blocker. Or redo Bradys contract and sign him to retire a Jaguar. Grade D receiving and B blocking.

I did my breakdown on the Jag website the other day.

Williams and Wilford 6'4"
Jones and Brady 6'6"
Smith 6'1"

It has been and up and down year for all. Do not under estimate Jimmy Smith

Good Luck No injuries!

warjag said:
I did my breakdown on the Jag website the other day.

Williams and Wilford 6'4"
Jones and Brady 6'6"
Smith 6'1"

It has been and up and down year for all. Do not under estimate Jimmy Smith

Good Luck No injuries!
Thanks for the input, it will be interesting to see what BB does to handle your lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes