PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss trade done. Is the 2010 season over?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is the 2010 season over?

• Yes, the season is over.

Votes: 49 23.4%
  • No, it isn't.

Votes: 160 76.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We cut Lawyer Milloy just before the season opened in the Fall of 2003 and he signed with Buffalo who crushed the Patriots 31-0 to drop us to 0-1.

The next two years ended well for the Patriots I recall.

I'm not saying something similar could develop here but you never know in the National ......... FOOTBALL LEAGUE!!! {MNF music please}

It's not over, but it just got a whole lot rougher. Our first game after the bye against Baltimore will now be very interesting (in a frightening sort of way) when we face a stout run D which will also get after Brady. Will he be able to do anything with the passing game with 8 stacked in the box, Welker doubled, and Tate and ? running deep routes. Time will tell all right.

Remind me again why not having Moss means the receivers that are left have forgotten how to run routes and get open?

Remind me again why not having Moss means the receivers that are left have forgotten how to run routes and get open?

What you fail to understand is that its going to be harder to get open when they don't have Moss stretching the defense and taking double coverage. You'll understand as the season goes on...

Doubt it. If that's the case, then the sooner the Krafts relinquish control of this team, the better. No. Something happened behind the scenes that was bad enough to warrant this.

And no, the season isn't over. But it just got a lot more interesting. How these guys respond will give us an idea of just what kind of team we have moving into the future. Are they going to sink into oblivion, or are they going to rise up to the challenge of playing without one of the elite playmakers in the game?

That's my take on it right now. Now that I'm almost done crying, that is. :( Right now I'm thinking of how devastated I was went TFB went down (not equating the two, really, but you know...) and how much I ended up loving that season and what the '08 team pulled together to do. I liked the '08 season soooo much better than last year's, even though they didn't actually make it to the playoffs. I'm hoping now that I end up feeling the same way as this year progresses. With a better ending, of course. :D

Last edited:
The season cant be over with BB and Tom Brady . Thats for sure. We went to a AFC Championshio 21-3 lead with Reche and Heath Evans in twins formation .

But its clearly a hiiigh and tough 12 games. Only 2/3 of them are again not playoffs teams . and again the best QBs in the league( Manning , Rodgers, a renewal Cutler who sithout pass rush can torch us) etc
Ha ha ha...I recall that game and remember Evans lining up with caldwell and thought....."now what".....Pats will just have to get more production out of price abd Tate....not going to be easy.

Benny ..moss drew double coverage on almost every play...he also stretched out the field....this opened up the opps for #2 and #3 WR's....and the running game. He was also obviously devestating offensively when he got seperation.....he is extremely talented and he will be missed...but if he was starting to cause prob in locker room....he HAD to go.....

Getting open is also a factor of route running, acceleration and knowledge of what the defense is going to do. The offense was fine without Moss before and will be again.

I've watched football for a long time, there's not much I need to 'understand'. Sure, Moss helped but good route runners with an accurate quarterback works, too.

Gotta play the games but i dont think this team is making the playoffs now.I hope they prove me wrong.I thought we had a chance making the playoffs based on our offense and a young defense progressing through the season.

Gotta play the games but i dont think this team is making the playoffs now.I hope they prove me wrong.I thought we had a chance making the playoffs based on our offense and a young defense progressing through the season.

well...not many 7-9 teams do...and that is what you have pummeled the board with in thread after thread...myself, I'm getting your point

I want to see how the team responds the remainder of the season. I feel like they play a lot better when they have something to play for like proving people wrong. This Monday Night was a prime example of this, they were doubted all week long, and they played probably their best game of the season. I hadn't seen that much emotion from Brady since prior to the injury and I dont know when the last time was that I saw BB as animated as he was after the game high fiving everyone on the team. The last time I saw that I think was the week after Spygate when the Pats played the Chargers.

An overwhelming majority of voters believe the season is not over.

There may be life after Moss!

Last edited:
So many fans with such short dim lighted memories.

This team is not about any one single player especially not Wide Receiver. I don't think any of you naysayers who think the season is lost because we got rid of an old WR know a darn thing about football.

WR's are one of the most overrated positions on a field, if you have a good QB you can throw in almost any decent receiver and come up with production. Moss is not even a complete wide receiver, he is a deep threat and nothing else. This guy can't break tackles, he can't block worth a damn, he wont go over the middle, he is useless unless you are sending him down the field every play for a long bomb which results in double coverage which basically negates that he is even on the team unless Brady forces one in double or triple coverage or he catches a rare break and flys free.

It's not like the Pats are going to be going into these games playing with 10 men on the field. He is getting replaced and we won't be sending someone prancing down the field on predictable routes 50 times a game... they will be all over the field like all our other receivers and we will have more viable threats for our extremely accurate QB who has been regressing ever since he has hooked up with Randy.

This team won it's superbowls as a TEAM and this one single player has detracted that entire team spirit. It's not a jab at randy doing anything malicious but it's just who he is, it's the vibe that follows him and you cannot build a new foundation around that. I was arguing that they should of let him go last year.

Not sure if you noticed just how spectacular the Mossman was when Welker went down but he was Mr. Invisible guess who stepped up? Our other receivers.. not the un-versatile race horse who takes 40 yards to get up to full speed with no ability to get open other then just running down field. We needed someone to stretch the field from 2001-2005 and the patriots kept looking and coming up with duds which resulted in people questioning Bradys arm strength since we stuck to manageable passes. We finally got someone who can stretch the field and nothing else but he brought with him an EGO that has to be continually fed destroying the team as a whole. The team can't be about any one person and as we see here.. a dime a dozen position like WR receiver is making people believe that the sky is falling. The skies still up there, our chances are just as good as they have always been. Our team will evolve around the talent that we have and the game plans will change. Will we still see Brady launching it down field to Tate who has 3 people hanging onto his jersey on 1st and 10? No probably not... what we will see is a more balanced team that will methodically take it's time wearing out a defense while resting our defense squad.

We will see a team that will begin to evolve a running game and put an end to this silly offense pass happy experiment. It's about moving the ball, controlling the tempo and controlling the clock. Not about how fast you can score or go 3 and out before heading to the bench. There is no race to score in the beginning of the game. Our offense has to stop exhausting our defense by either scoring in 3-5 plays or going 3 and out by trying to force these throws that result in fast scores. Football is not a race, it's a match.. you can beat you apponent many ways.. and being the guy who comes out swinging like a maniac isn't always the best especially in the later rounds of the match.

Belichick knows this, and he will slowly revert this team back to a game managing offense that tears you down one first down at a time. When was the last time moss caught a 10 yard first down pass? Who is our first down go to guy? We always used to have a safety valve be it Brown, Branch, Welker... who is this guy now? You know why I ask? Because this guy will be 10 times more important than the mossman ever was to our team. And this guy could be anyone... lets wait and see

Last edited:
Reality won't sink in for most people until the Ravens game.

Vast majority of the posters on this board declared the 2008 season over during the first quarter of the first game of the season.

Moss > Tate. But not nearly to the extent that Brady >>>>> Cassell.

And the 2008 season wasn't over until Jets-Fins game in week 17.

So many fans with such short dim lighted memories.

This team is not about any one single player especially not Wide Receiver. I don't think any of you naysayers who think the season is lost because we got rid of an old WR know a darn thing about football.

WR's are one of the most overrated positions on a field, if you have a good QB you can throw in almost any decent receiver and come up with production. Moss is not even a complete wide receiver, he is a deep threat and nothing else. This guy can't break tackles, he can't block worth a damn, he wont go over the middle, he is useless unless you are sending him down the field every play for a long bomb which results in double coverage which basically negates that he is even on the team unless Brady forces one in double or triple coverage or he catches a rare break and flys free.

It's not like the Pats are going to be going into these games playing with 10 men on the field. He is getting replaced and we won't be sending someone prancing down the field on predictable routes 50 times a game... they will be all over the field like all our other receivers and we will have more viable threats for our extremely accurate QB who has been regressing ever since he has hooked up with Randy.

This team won it's superbowls as a TEAM and this one single player has detracted that entire team spirit. It's not a jab at randy doing anything malicious but it's just who he is, it's the vibe that follows him and you cannot build a new foundation around that. I was arguing that they should of let him go last year.

Not sure if you noticed just how spectacular the Mossman was when Welker went down but he was Mr. Invisible guess who stepped up? Our other receivers.. not the un-versatile race horse who takes 40 yards to get up to full speed with no ability to get open other then just running down field. We needed someone to stretch the field from 2001-2005 and the patriots kept looking and coming up with duds which resulted in people questioning Bradys arm strength since we stuck to manageable passes. We finally got someone who can stretch the field and nothing else but he brought with him an EGO that has to be continually fed destroying the team as a whole. The team can't be about any one person and as we see here.. a dim a dozen position like WR receiver is making people believe that the sky is falling.
Let me guess you were one of the few Pats fans that thought the one dimensional Moss was an overrated and dime a dozen WR when he and Brady set those passing records in '07 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Vast majority of the posters on this board declared the 2008 season over during the first quarter of the first game of the season.

Moss > Tate. But not nearly to the extent that Brady >>>>> Cassell.

And the 2008 season wasn't over until Jets-Fins game in week 17.

But in the end, the season was over. We failed to get to the playoffs. Its going to happen again this year. As much faith as I have in Brady, I just don't think our offense will be able to adjust to losing its second most important player. We won't be able to stretch the field, which means the running will be more difficult and welker's job will be more difficult as well. No defenses are going to consider Tate much of a deep threat and he definitely won't draw double coverage like Moss did.

The Patriots can still win the Superbowl this year.

Let me guess you were one of the few Pats fans that thought the one dimensional Moss was an overrated and dime a dozen WR when he and Brady set those passing records in '07 :rolleyes:

No, Moss caught the NFL by surprise in 2007, teams have figured him out and game planed around him accordingly and he has no versatility to be able to change and thwart their game plans by changing it up. He is a one trick pony that has been slowing losing his one trick and his ego demands that he be fed the ball to be kept happy. Since when are the Patriots here to pander to a WR?

Our team is at it's best when we have maximum versatility in our players. When we have running backs that can line up at WR. When we have WR's who can block and can even play corner back when called upon. When we have linemen that can play linebacker and linebackers that can play DE. You want to game plan and confuse the opposing team? Well this is what you need.. you need complete football players not people who are only good at one thing.

How do you game plan around moss being double teamed? You throw to someone else. Well guess what when other #1 WR's are double teamed they still get open.. you know why? Because they don't run the same stupid 1-2 patterns every down because they are usually more then a 1 trick pony. You can't have a player that demands to be out there that has become almost more of a liability in the passing game then a blessing.

No, Moss caught the NFL by surprise in 2007, teams have figured him out and game planed around him accordingly and he has no versatility to be able to change and thwart their game plans by changing it up. He is a one trick pony that has been slowing losing his one trick and his ego demands that he be fed the ball to be kept happy. Since when are the Patriots here to pander to a WR?

Our team is at it's best when we have maximum versatility in our players. When we have running backs that can line up at WR. When we have WR's who can block and can even play corner back when called upon. When we have linemen that can play linebacker and linebackers that can play DE. You want to game plan and confuse the opposing team? Well this is what you need.. you need complete football players not people who are only good at one thing.

How do you game plan around moss being double teamed? You throw to someone else. Well guess what when other #1 WR's are double teamed they still get open.. you know why? Because they don't run the same stupid 1-2 patterns every down because they are usually more then a 1 trick pony. You can't have a player that demands to be out there that has become almost more of a liability in the passing game then a blessing.
So, you are saying that it took all these years for opposing defense to figure Moss out. It took that '07 season for teams to finally stick a nail in Moss' 1 trick pony coffin.

OK, pal :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back